• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Unpopular Pokemon opinions V2 (READ FIRST POST)

anjunajake

you were the sun & moon to me
I guess music is all subjective, but I just haven't heard anything in awhile that's resonated with me in awhile. In Sun/Moon I got to the point where I didn't even care if I had the music on either and would play while watching TV or a movie or something.

Willing to give it another shot for SWSH though.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
What have we really heard other than that really intense Gym Leader theme?
Not much, but it's enough to be offputting for me.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I think the music in the core games has been getting progressively worse ever since X/Y. Even OR/AS had a pretty dreadful soundtrack minus a few new tracks: my main issue was that the remixes weren't that different from the original versions, which made me wonder why Game Freak even bothered updating the BGM in the first place.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
1. Jynx is awesome. Don't @ me.

2. Cynthia is the only legitimately difficult Champion. The rest are painfully easy and I wish the developers would actually put some effort into making them more of a challenge.

3. Let's GO is better than everything else in Gen 7.

4. Legendaries should never be catchable, unless the story calls for it. Suicine doesn't count. :D

5. There are more cool Bug types in Gen 5 than all the other gens combined.

6. Kanto being accessible in Gold & Silver is what truly solidified the Pokémon franchise, as it allowed fans to return to the past and recapture their old memories. Without this, I doubt the franchise would have lasted this long.
(I also think Game Freak is aware of this, which is why they push Kanto so much.)

7. There isn't a single gym leader as difficult as Whitney. Lenora comes very close, however.

8. The player maintaining their title as Champion in Sun & Moon and having to defend their title is how things should be in every game.

9. Pokémon Snap 2 should've been made by now.

10. Even with all its flaws, Sword & Shield is a step in the right direction.

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
I'm not a fan of Nuzlockes, but I do think there should be a formal permadeath mode in future main series games.

AgentKallus

It's not a game Kate.
@Klaus7772 This is an interesting idea but I think you've put in the wrong thread.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I’m perfectly fine with SwSh not having a national Dex. Quite honestly I’m sick of reading the same Poké Dex info for certain Pokémon which are exactly what was said in earlier games. There’s only so many times a person can keep reading these old entries and not feel a bit annoyed. Giratina has had the same entries for the National Dex with it usually being from Platinum and in Gen VI using HGSS depending on the version you view it in.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
I’m perfectly fine with SwSh not having a national Dex. Quite honestly I’m sick of reading the same Poké Dex info for certain Pokémon which are exactly what was said in earlier games. There’s only so many times a person can keep reading these old entries and not feel a bit annoyed. Giratina has had the same entries for the National Dex with it usually being from Platinum and in Gen VI using HGSS depending on the version you view it in.
But Gen VII had entirely new dex entries for every Pokemon in the regional dex though.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
But Gen VII had entirely new dex entries for every Pokemon in the regional dex though.
Every Gen has new entries for Pokémon found in the regional Dex. I just don’t like how some older Pokémon not found in the newer Gens’ regional Dex Keep getting the same info.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
Every Gen has new entries for Pokémon found in the regional Dex. I just don’t like how some older Pokémon not found in the newer Gens’ regional Dex Keep getting the same info.
Nope. BW (not counting the new Pokemon) and the Gen VI games reuse the same entries from previous games. BW2 did new entries iirc but it wasn’t until SM when we got an entire generation again with new stuff in them.

(And SM/USUM actually give out new info such as how Pelipper scoop up Wishiwashi)

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
The Detective Pikachu game is better than the movie. I like the movie, but I like the game more.

BulleDeChagrin

Lillie best girl

But isn't the problem more about Giratina not being usable at all in the game more the problem with the missing National Dex rather than the missing Pokedex entry? It means another year or more that it won't be able to be used at all (unless it somehow is in the Galar Dex of course).

Atratus

Antimatter Trainer
*stretches fingers*
  1. Game Freak is a lazy company and game designer that makes poor decisions, and has been for many years. It operates on the fact that people will buy pokemon games no matter what, and over the years has made little effort to improve and innovate upon its games in a meaningful manner. They also just take things away for no good reason, such as the Frontier in OR/AS or the whole Sw/Sh thing.
  2. Pokemon games have poor to non-existent stories. Even Gen V, which had the best story, still had a pretty poorly written story.
  3. Generations add too many pokemon to my personal taste. Gen II did it best, and Gen VI to some extent - adding enough but not too many.
  4. Generations VI and VII had regional dexes that were too large to my taste.
  5. Having 2 versions of a game has been a stupid idea since Generation I, especially when a third, better version was coming up until Grey didn't show up. If they really wanted to make version exclusive to encourage trading, they should have at least done more effort than a handful of different pokemon and very minor other changes. They never made the difference matter enough.
  6. Physical location events are an insult to anyone who doesn't happen to live in very specific locations. I never lived anywhere close to where a physical distribution took place, and it always felt bad.
  7. Generation VII had ugly pokemon designs. It is the first generation in which I looked at the new pokemon and wanted to play with maybe 1 or 2 of them.
  8. The games have been getting easier and easier, and having a hard mode that is only unlocked after beating the game in BW2 was a stupid design choice. Just let us play on hard mode on any game from the start.
  9. The games' use of warp panels and direction arrows "puzzles" stopped being interesting and fun after the first time they used it, and is basically an annoying, repetitive chore.
  10. There are always too many bug, grass and water type pokemon, and not enough other ones in any given regional dex.
  11. HM are annoying. I like that they seal off parts of the map that can be explored later, but most of them are weak, and there is no reason having Surf can't be something like a static ability that the trainer has once the badge is obtained and making all pokemon that can learn Surf just use it outside of battle.
  12. Mega evolutions was a bad idea, and most of the designs are ugly in my opinion. The choice of who gets to mega evolve was also poor, often just making strong pokemon stronger. (I didn't play S/M, so I won't comment on Z-moves). Each generation also had a gimmick, but the games have become too focused on their gimmicks.
  13. The focus on generation I is a shameful cash grab of nostalgia.
  14. Most of the Generation IV new evolutions are poorly designed and are just cluttered. The fact that there were so many also gave me the impression of a lack of creativity.
  15. There is no excuse to the repetition of pokedex entries across games. Give me a couple of paid days and I will write 2 entries for each pokemon, and I am just a random person.
  16. There are too many legendary poekmon in each generation, and they don't feel legendary anymore.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
@anjunajake I haven't been a fan of the music for years either, for what it's worth. But Sword and Shield's make me want to possibly keep the music off. First time in a Pokémon game where I want to do that.

Aww, that breaks my heart.

I've always felt Sun and Moon's greatest redeeming quality was its music, especially the battle themes.

The only generation where I felt most of the music was subpar was Gen 5.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Aww, that breaks my heart.

I've always felt Sun and Moon's greatest redeeming quality was its music, especially the battle themes.

The only generation where I felt most of the music was subpar was Gen 5.
:( Yea was hoping that some of what we ended up hearing so far would be good. Just not a fan of techno, I guess.

Agreed. I liked it ok. Even Team Skull's music. That was a good use of techno/rap music.

Ah.

Monozu

この日、森の中・・・
The only game with music that felt lacklustre was XY. I also wasn't fond of the ORAS remixes. Gen 6 music seems to be rather hit-and-miss: you either love it or hate it.

My unpopular opinion is that anime contests >>>>> in-game contests (Gen 3 and 4). Anime contests were so much more creative with their appeals and actual battles, where coordinators invented their own move combinations in the hopes of looking elegant while fighting. They also had their own personal struggles and drama to overcome.

In game contests had none of that, and it was simply picking a move and hoping judges liked it.