1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Unpopular Pokemon opinions V2 (READ FIRST POST)

Discussion in 'General Pokémon Discussion' started by Pikachu Fan Number Nine, May 19, 2019.

1. Ignition

Ignition Free

Forgot to mention the addition of abilities like Flame Body having a buff but you touched on that

Don’t really see anything noteworthy about the sprite animations, the evil teams aren’t difficult and the story only has a slight increase of interest because of it.

I’ll give you the rematches and move tutors though

wolf jani likes this.
  2. Divine Retribution

Divine Retribution Master of the freak show

That's all third versions usually are is a remake of the original two with some minor QOL improvements and a slightly different story. Only in sequels like B2/W2 or hard remakes such as FR/LG or OR/AS does the game change drastically.

Redstar45 likes this.
  3. Ignition

Ignition Free

Difference is I can see how Platnium fixes a lot of DP’s issues and USUM fixes SM (don’t know what happened with the story but that’s besides the point). All I can think for about Emerald is the story makes more sense since the lore behind the weather trio is about their world ending duels. I can say for sure I’d rather play Platnium or USUM but I really wouldn’t mind playing any of the original Hoenn games since most of the changes are for post game content or can be achieved with FRLG

4. That is how it feels, but that is not reality. The problem that you brought up can be solved by simply acknowledging the fact that your performance in an elimination tournament in a luck-infested game says nothing about your skill, and your skill can only be shown by your win-loss record and GXE over a large number of battles.

Lunalah likes this.
  5. Emperor Empoleon

Emperor Empoleon Honor of Kalos

I like that Ultra SM de-emphasized Lillie's story, while doing much more for Hau's.

To begin with, Lillie didn't have a strong presence during your adventure in Alola. She changes as a character, and stealing Cosmog was the impetus of the central conflict...But most of your actual play time is spent on doing the Island Trials alongside Hau, and exploring the Region. Lillie is usually off reading books, being inspired by other characters, or trying to keep Nebby in the bag...She doesn't really participate in anything significant until the game is about to end. So I think she's better suited to a less prominent role.

Meanwhile, Hau was supposed to be your rival, and fell really flat in the original. The added scenes make him seem more introspective about his ability to do well as a trainer, and live up to his Pokemon's trust when he loses to you. The idea that he needs to be challenged to better himself instead of just having fun becomes a-lot more pronounced. I also liked the scenes and dialogue that he has with Guzma, that deal with legacy and the struggle to live up to your forerunners. By the end he feels like a more complete character, and fighting him for the title is a nice outro.

catzeye, Lunalah and Zhydra like this.
  6. SBaby

SBaby Dungeon Master

True, but your win/loss record doesn't win you money. Your luck in a tournament can be the difference between winning money and going home with nothing. It's like I said before, anything with RNG elements like RPGs is just not good for competitive. One person with mediocre skills can get lucky and win a tournament over more skilled but less lucky players, and all those win/loss records become useless or worse. And THAT IS reality.

As it is, your solution is unfortunately not one that most tournaments are willing to embrace, because it's cheaper to do a faster elimination tournament.

______

Speaking of unpopular opinions... Here's a really unpopular one (probably less popular than the above opinion). If you're making a Pokémon table top RPG, one thing you should NEVER EVER DO, is stat Legendaries. Legendaries should be used as NPCs and ONLY NPCs.

The reason goes back to one of the unwritten rules of table top role playing games. 'If you stat it, they will kill it'. It doesn't matter how powerful you make that Legendary, how god-tier you set their numbers, someone will at some point think they can take it, possibly catch it (they could get lucky and roll perfectly) and by doing so, potentially cause you to lose control of your game.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
    Lunalah likes this.
  7. Ignition

Ignition Free

I don’t understand the appeal of Rosa or Hilda at all

TRNRLogan and janejane6178 like this.
  8. Zhydra

Zhydra Master of Chaos!

I never thought of it that way. I liked her character arc in SM until the ending that undid most of it, but she pretty much took over the story to the point you question... why are you not playing as Lillie? It would have made things 100% better in regards to character agency, since your character had no reason to be going into Ultra Space since it is two people you would rather not rescue.

USUM, while I wished they kept more of Lillie's focus. Made the right call of making the story be about the whole of Alola and what you can do to make a difference instead of making it the same story all over again. Lillie and her family got a better ending in USUM anyways, so that is a trade off on top of a list of story improvements AND gameplay improvements.

9. Leonhart

Leonhart Imagineer

I actually agree regarding Emerald not being very impressive in general. I liked a few of the changes like the addition of regular tag battles and the Safari Zone expansion, but I was never very fond of the Battle Frontier since it was more trouble than it was worth from my perspective.

10. Redstar45

Redstar45 The Anime/Special's canon know it all.

As least i enjoy anime version of it ....ok barely as they share same problem as Pokemon special manga versions...they are unfortunate forgettable characters but Brandon and Lily as they are so unquestionable great characters and Lucy too

Lunalah likes this.
  11. Mr.Fiend

Mr.Fiend Flavour town and titty city native

Sirfetch'd is honestly better off staying pure fighting rather than fighting/flying. Seems like most people want it fighting/flying for the sake of it. Not to mention those's 5 weaknesses that the typing proudly boasts, especially the ice type and ice beam, a move that every water type and their mom has.

Fakemons (or at least 99% of them) are hot garbage, especially evos, mega evos to already existing pokemon.

For those who want fomantis and lurantis to be bug/grass... do you want them to be even worse than they already are? Not to mention defeating the entire purpose of these pokemon, being plants that are disguising as insects (the same logic also applies for those who want sudowoodo to be rock/grass).

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
  12. Luthor

Luthor Well-Known Member

I actually think Sirfetch'd becoming pure fighting type makes sense. It becoming from normal to Fighting is an easy one as it has now mastered a fighting style. It losing flying type also makes sense as its now become much heavier for its size and now has both arms occupied so flying seems impractical.

Mr.Fiend, AgentKallus and Redstar45 like this.
  13. AgentKallus

AgentKallus Whovian

Donkey Kong isn't a pokemon, or a donkey or a key or a badger.

Dragalge likes this.
  14. Ignition

Ignition Free

I’m pretty pleased with the current battle format and don’t really care that it’s not something like real time battling

15. Sham

Sham Smile

I was never fully able to get into RSE or the remakes. I don’t know why but Hoenn is just boring even down to the Gym leaders and the rival (the main case is especially boring in the originals). The water/dive routes turned me off, the towns are boring minus a few and I just have a hard time staying focused playing.

Ignition likes this.
  16. Ignition

Ignition Free

Hoenn’s water routes are some of the best ways for me to get unmotivated in a Pokèmon game

Sham likes this.
  17. Sham

Sham Smile

The region just had way to much going on. An active volcano, deserts and massive water routes that got confusing at times. Probably why surf is only truly needed like 3 times in Sinnoh

Ignition likes this.
  18. TwilightBlade

TwilightBlade Well-Known Member

Speaking of water routes, I actually like them and I didn't like that Sinnoh had so few of them. I think Game Freak must've heard the complaints back then about Hoenn having too many sea areas, so they probably thought that Sinnoh needed as few water routes as possible.

19. Luthor

Luthor Well-Known Member

I actually think pre-evolutions are an interesting addition. I know a lot don't care for them but I think it adds new interesting aspects to pokemon. I still want pre-evolutions to pokemon such as Aerodactyl, Sawk, Throh and Tauros.

20. TwilightBlade

TwilightBlade Well-Known Member

I like certain pre-evos like most of the Johto ones for example, but I think Sinnoh introduced a few that were completely unneeded. Mantyke comes to mind foremost and I dislike its evolution method.