• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Unpopular Pokemon opinions V2 (READ FIRST POST)

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
The last one has officially died out (more than 60 days since last post) so we're starting fresh.

Are there any opinions you have on the Pokemon franchise that you feel you will be disagreed with over or otherwise overlooked? Then this is the place for you.

The Golden Rule: NO CRITICIZING OTHER POSTERS' OPINIONS. This is NOT a debate thread. Do not post on here if you're going to attack/debate someone for their opinion. If you disagree with somebody and can't follow this rule, I will be upset, and that's probably the worst thing you can do on here

I'll start.

I feel that Pokemon should make more media aimed at adult audiences. Many Pokemon fans that enter the franchise as kids remain with it well into adulthood. So I feel G8 should be more mature-oriented but only to the point of T/PG-13/TV-14 rated material.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
I don’t remember what I posted in the last thread so sorry if there’s any repeats:

I don’t understand why GSC/HGSS is so popular. The 2 regions don’t outweigh the poor level curve & terrible Pokèmon placements. It’s why Johto’s my least favorite region

Jerk rivals are boring. Blue is barely a jerk: he’s just playfully teasing you like most 10 year olds would

The lack of Battle Frontier isn’t a bad thing in the slightest.

Mystery Dungeon series is overrated. So is Stadium (2) & Snap.

Best spin-offs are Conquest and Battle Revolution

Sinnoh’s slow engine doesn’t bother me.

FRLG are the best Kanto experience

USUM weren’t bad at all.

I found BW’s use of only new Pokèmon to be fun and something that should return in the future.

I’d prefer games that don’t have an emphasis on story.

Team Plasma was wack bar Colress and the Shadow Triad.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
I'm no fan of competitive Pokemon battling. It's gotten to the point where battling online is no fun.

Orphalesion

After reading up on the Beta Material most of the Pokemon from Gen 1 I don't like seem to be from the very early designs and ideas of both Sigumori and Satoshi Tajiri. All those bumpy, dumpy, vaguely reptilian/kaiju-looking "monsters": Rhydon, Kangaskahn, Nidoking, Nidoqueen.

I can't stand them.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
After reading up on the Beta Material most of the Pokemon from Gen 1 I don't like seem to be from the very early designs and ideas of both Sigumori and Satoshi Tajiri. All those bumpy, dumpy, vaguely reptilian/kaiju-looking "monsters": Rhydon, Kangaskahn, Nidoking, Nidoqueen.

I can't stand them.
2t83lkrqd4zy.jpg

The second sprite on the left was a very common sprite for many kaiju-looking Pokemon. I don't know about you guys but I freaking love the old spriteworks before Gen 3 came in with fresh new ones.

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
I'll write what I can remember from the old thread.

- There are no "bad" generations or "bad" main series games

IDK, that seems like an unpopular opinion around here anyway given how many people feel that Gens 1 and 2 are a textbook example of Seinfeld is Unfunny and Gens 6 and 7 are lazy, half-assed cash grabs (so 3, 4, and 5 are the only "good" generations then?).

- With that being said, generation wars are stupid and mostly fueled by nostalgia.

- As much as I love Pokemon, I think the series would be better off if it wasn't an "annual" series. Annual releases stifle innovation and ultimately lead to franchise fatigue, and honestly, I've always wondered why Pokemon kind of gets a free pass for annual releases while CoD is heavily criticized all the time for it (not that I'm a big CoD fan or anything, I'm just curious). I would gladly take a new set of games with more substantial content every 2-3 years or so over a new game that's good but not great every single year.

- Generation VII as a whole is underrated as hell, Sun and Moon are among the best games in the series, and the games do not deserve nearly as much hate as they get. Like, personally? I loved the plot, characters, region (despite the smaller size), lore, music, most of the new Pokemon, regional variants as a concept, and that they tried to do something different instead of just another badge quest, because let's face it: the badge quest formula was getting stale anyway. The only things that were really bothered me were the Festival Plaza and the lag, both of which I could ignore.

Ultimately, people feel different ways about different things, and I can understand Sun and Moon not being everyone's cup of tea, particularly for people who aren't as interested in story or lore and favor larger regions to explore, but for me? I really enjoyed them, because the Pokemon themselves and the lore are what I enjoy the most about the franchise.

- I'll also add that unless Sword and Shield are GOTY caliber like BotW, Sun and Moon will probably be everybody's favorite games in a few years (definitely at least once Diamond and Pearl get remade), because this always happens with Pokemon. People never really learn to appreciate Pokemon generations until they've been out of the spotlight for a few years.

Remember when people thought Black and White were the worst games in the series? Remember when that didn't last? I think the same will happen with Sun and Moon.

- I don't like Greninja that much and think Delphox had the best design of the XY starters. I feel Greninja's design is too flat and angular and have always found the tongue scarf thing gross. Frogadier and that fake Gallantoad design that came out around the time XY were leaking are both better designs than Greninja IMHO. They both look a lot sleeker and less angular and more like actual evolutions of Froakie since they both still have the "bubble" thing going on.

- Pokemon games have never been hard. I think a lot of people just didn't know what they were doing when they were kids I.E. only training their starter and nothing else (guilty...). I also would not be surprised if a lot of the people who claim the games have gotten easier are either using the completely optional Exp. Share, grinding until they're overleveled, or using all OP Pokemon on their team.

If Pokemon has gotten "easier," it's because grinding is less tedious now than it used to be, and grinding =/= difficulty.

- Don't think this is that unpopular, but despite it's flaws, I enjoy the Sun and Moon anime. But that is probably a personal taste thing as I'd rather watch the anime to see my favorite Pokemon animated and am not particularly interested in Ash's quest.

- GameFreak is not running out of ideas for Pokemon, and they most likely never will. There are literally billions of animals that exist or have existed on this planet that could all be used as inspirations for Pokemon, and we're not even at 1000 Pokemon yet. And that's before considering stuff like mythology and inanimate objects as inspirations.

And I'll throw on one more that I didn't have on the old thread.

- I don't think there's any immediate need for Pokemon to go open world. Not saying I don't want it to happen, just that it doesn't need to happen like, right now or anything. Open world games are fun and all, but not everything needs to go that route.

shoz999

I guess I'll re-post this little statement from the previous iteration. Think of it as a heads-up before you state what's unpopular.

Unpopular opinions huh? Well I would like to do the opposite.

Popular opinion. Unova is a masterpiece of Pokemon game design, everything a great Pokemon generation should be able to look up to or rather surpass. Your probably thinking, wait a minute! This is an unpopular opinion! No, not really. I've seen lots of Pokemon fans show their absolute love for the Unova region, many of them making top comments in videos that downright disrespectfully trash Unova. Here's the thing though, it's not an unpopular opinion to say your region is your favorite or the best. It's more popular than you think and that's what I love about the Pokemon community. GameFreak puts so much care and quality into there games that opinions diversify into different angles on what's the best and what's the worst. This isn't like the Sonic the Hedgehog series where everyone unanimously agrees that Sonic 06 is the worst, this is Pokemon where all the generations and games deserve to be in top spot. So remember that before you go thinking that your favorite region is an unpopular opinion. This isn't even an opinion actually, this is a fact that a series completely full of well crafted titles can lead to diverse opinions.

BTS_fan

Immortal Queen
I have so many unpopular opinions, but my biggest one is that the games have declined in quality since Gen 4. Gen 5 was decent enough (mainly saved by B2W2), but the designs of many of the Pokemon were god-awful, including Timburr's line, Throh, Sawk, Mandibuzz, and Tympole's line to name a few. Gen 6 was worse because of Megas crowding the games and fewer new Pokemon overall. Gen 7 continued this trend, except with Alolan forms instead of Megas.

Tsukuyomi56

Sky High Knight
The XY anime isn't as good as some fans make it out to be. It does have some good bits such as doing Team Flare justice but has some flaws such as Ash having next to no personality.

Zhydra

Master of Chaos!
There are two unpopular opinions I want to get out of my system.

I like what Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon did with its story and it doesn't deserve the amount of bile and hatred it gets. The changes from Sun and Moon were not bad and to me most of them were for the better. (Humanizing Lusamine, fleshing Gladion's motives out more. Giving Hau some growth instead of having him disappear from the story. Etc.)

While I do agree some aspects of USUM are weaker than in Sun and Moon. (Lillie and her family losing narrative focus in the end and thus us getting less moments from her in the main story weakened her role.) We got some pretty good trade offs for what we do lose. (In exchange for the narrative focus shifting away from her. She and her family got a more logical, more complete and to me a MUCH better ending than Sun and Moon. In addition, Lillie gets around the same if not better pay off at around... when she gives you Nebby at Mahalo Trial and all the way post Rainbow Rocket.)

Second one. I like the Sun and Moon anime, its shift into something new was nice to watch. Most of the episodes are fun to watch, the main cast are pretty good, I like their growth and I liked what it did with Ash.

Heck, some aspects of the anime I like better than the games. (Aether Arc being a big example.) I want the anime writers to keep the art style, animation style, world building and some of the comedy from SM when transferring over to SW/SH.

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
As much as I liked the SM anime, it was a bit too happy in tone.

The Sw/Sh anime should go in a much darker direction.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
There are two unpopular opinions I want to get out of my system.

I like what Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon did with its story and it doesn't deserve the amount of bile and hatred it gets. The changes from Sun and Moon were not bad and to me most of them were for the better. (Humanizing Lusamine, fleshing Gladion's motives out more. Giving Hau some growth instead of having him disappear from the story. Etc.)

While I do agree some aspects of USUM are weaker than in Sun and Moon. (Lillie and her family losing narrative focus in the end and thus us getting less moments from her in the main story weakened her role.) We got some pretty good trade offs for what we do lose. (In exchange for the narrative focus shifting away from her. She and her family got a more logical, more complete and to me a MUCH better ending than Sun and Moon. In addition, Lillie gets around the same if not better pay off at around... when she gives you Nebby at Mahalo Trial and all the way post Rainbow Rocket.)

Second one. I like the Sun and Moon anime, its shift into something new was nice to watch. Most of the episodes are fun to watch, the main cast are pretty good, I like their growth and I liked what it did with Ash.

Heck, some aspects of the anime I like better than the games. (Aether Arc being a big example.) I want the anime writers to keep the art style, animation style, world building and some of the comedy from SM when transferring over to SW/SH.
Ay nice to see you’re still here. Thought you left the site as I haven’t seen you post

I'm no fan of competitive Pokemon battling. It's gotten to the point where battling online is no fun.
in awhile
IMO I don’t think that’s an unpopular opinion. From powercreep to the relatively complicated and long process to get competitively viable Pokèmon, I think most fans stick to casual playtroughs. Also the “I’d rather play with my favorites than be criticized for not using the absolute best” (which is a reasonable thing)

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Ay nice to see you’re still here. Thought you left the site as I haven’t seen you post

in awhile
IMO I don’t think that’s an unpopular opinion. From powercreep to the relatively complicated and long process to get competitively viable Pokèmon, I think most fans stick to casual playtroughs. Also the “I’d rather play with my favorites than be criticized for not using the absolute best” (which is a reasonable thing)
Fair point. I'm just not a fan of people who do nothing but breed perfect Pokemon and show them off, along with those who disconnect when the battle isn't going their way. Ran into that before and it was rather annoying. It's partially why I don't bother with online battling. It's overly competitive.

Zhydra

Master of Chaos!

I just got tired of dealing with certain people. I'm still around and I will post comments when I want to.

shoz999

I think the basis of Ash's character is actually good enough and Red's character as this perfect badass would be too boring to tell a story is easily a ton of BS if you read Pokemon Adventures. You know why? Because Ash and Red's character are both the same character in terms of the base of it. Red is a flawed character, he's not this perfect badass that people envision and Ash has the potential to become that badass Red that everyone knows and love. Not only that but I think most anime fans don't actually hate Ash's character at the heart of it. I do think most fans seem to like the basis of Ash's character BUT these same fans seem to absolutely hate the progression of Ash's character and this is completely understandable since Ash's progression of a character is arguably the most mishandled inconsistent progression of a character in all of anime.

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
Popplio is my favorite Alola starter. I've always preferred the Water starters. Many of the Water starters are among the few non-mammal Pokemon that I like (there's also Charizard).

shoz999

Popplio is my favorite Alola starter. I've always preferred the Water starters. Many of the Water starters are among the few non-mammal Pokemon that I like (there's also Charizard).
How's that an unpopular opinion? Primarina is the strongest of the Alolan Starters during SM and is still debated to be better than Incineroar after his buff. I know back than it was a least-favorite but today, Popplio is much more popular.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
I never got why people thought Giratina was the Pokemon Devil. Yes, it was banished for violence. Yes, it's spooky and got six ribcages. But Giratina never shows any signs of being nefarious, it's more of a grumpy Hades-like deity than Lucifer.

shoz999

I never got why people thought Giratina was the Pokemon Devil. Yes, it was banished for violence. Yes, it's spooky and got six ribcages. But Giratina never shows any signs of being nefarious, it's more of a grumpy Hades-like deity than Lucifer.
It varies from adaptation to adaptation and the most common nefarious trait of Giratina is that it's very vengeful and returns the favor violently.

In the games, it depicts Giratina as a guardian-like entity whose willing to put an end to Cyrus's action. The game version alone is more understanding but in the anime and manga, it's different.

In the anime, they depict him as a king-like entity who seeks revenge on Palkia and Dialga's actions that affected his home.

In the Adventures manga, Giratina is more closer to it's Pokedex entry where it's not only the ruler of the Distortion World, it's also it's prisoner for it's violence long ago. Not only does it want to be freed but it holds a very deep deep DEEP violent grudge against Palkia and Dialga for imprisoning him years ago, it's hatred for Palkia and Dialga is so strong that this Giratina toys around those who dare enter it's prison.

Hearing the Adventures version, how ingrained Giratina is in the Adventures lore really really makes you want to see Diamond & Pearl remakes explain what exactly did Giratina do to get thrown in the Distortion World. Is he misunderstood and just furious, is he actually evil, that is something I really want to see explained some day.

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
I may only have this opinion because I skipped Emerald and Platinum and am not a competitive player, but I never really understood what was so great about the Battle Frontier. I can understand the appeal behind some of the more "standard" formats, it's something for the competitive players to do in the postgame and all that, but a lot of the formats seem either very gimmicky or too reliant on luck, and I don't think heavy reliance on luck is particularly fun. Seriously, going for the Gold Medal in stuff like the Battle Palace or Battle Arcade must have been a nightmare.

Again, maybe I just don't "get" it because I'm not a competitive player or whatever, and that's fine. But I just never really understood the appeal behind the Battle Frontier or why people act like it's the single greatest addition to a Pokemon game ever. Personally, I prefer more story-based content like the Delta Episode in ORAS or the stuff with Looker in Lumiose City in XY or even the Fallers and Ultra Beasts in SM/USM because I like the lore in Pokemon.