• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Unpopular Pokemon opinions V2 (READ FIRST POST)

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
So many popular opinions wouldn't you guys agree?

Shayminslicker

Comes out of Nowhere
I do love X & Y quite a bit. I introduced a LOT of new things when it comes to the Pokemon series on a handheld (The ability to walk in any direction you want, trainer customization, the ability to take pictures during gameplay, etc.).

Leonhart

Imagineer
Marzbar said:
Unpopular opinion: the Ultra Beasts were one of the best and coolest things to happen to the franchise and to competitive battling in general, and the future metagames such as the Galar dex competitions will suffer without them.

While I had no major problems with the Ultra Beasts' effects on the metagame, I felt that they were generally handled rather poorly in the sense that they were mainly just watered-down Legendary-like Pokemon that came from different dimensions.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
While I had no major problems with the Ultra Beasts themselves, I felt that they were generally handled rather poorly in the sense that they were mainly just watered-down Legendary Pokemon that came from different dimensions.
I disagree that the Ultra Beasts are water-down legendaries and in fact hope that GameFreak continues what the Ultra Beasts are, an archetype of Pokemon not so different from Eeveelutions.

I too thought that Ultra Beasts were legendaries or at least not too different. Almost everyone thought of this upon their reveal early on in Gen 7. However over time, it became more and more clear that Ultra Beasts are just regular Pokemon from their world. Special like eeveelutions but not special enough to be called or compared to legendaries. USUM introduced several trainers who can catch Ultra Beasts and Poipole put the whole "are Ultra Beasts not that different from legendaries" into question because it was the first pre-evo. Later in the anime, we saw Ash capture a Poipole. Although one could argue that legendary evolution-lines are a concept in Gen 7 and the Pokemon anime shouldn't be taken seriously in reflecting the games but what ultimately convinced me that Ultra Beasts are just regular Pokemon that deserve to be in your team was the Pokemon Adventures manga when Sun caught an Ultra Beast. It's common to see a main character catch or befriend legendaries in the manga, this is a pretty good reflection of the player in the games who will almost always catch the next exciting legendary but it's an entirely different thing for the main character to actually keep the legendary on their team and from the looks of it, Sun's Ultra Beast is his final team member and from the hints were getting for Moon, she's not too different.

Ultimately though, I welcome the idea of the Pokemon series bringing more "archetypes" in Pokemon like Eeveelutions, Ultra Beasts, Fossil Pokemon etc. It's certainly an old concept but it's not one explored a lot in the Pokemon series so there's a lot of potential to create a new series of new Pokemon that share similar characteristics and have a certain idea in mind but play differently.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
I don’t mind Gen 4’s slow engine. In fact, the slow HP decrease made battles more interesting

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
I do love X & Y quite a bit. I introduced a LOT of new things when it comes to the Pokemon series on a handheld (The ability to walk in any direction you want, trainer customization, the ability to take pictures during gameplay, etc.).
You were still stuck on a grid in XY/ORAS(?). SM was the first time where you could truly walk in a lot more directions.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
You were still stuck on a grid in XY/ORAS(?). SM was the first time where you could truly walk in a lot more directions.
You were locked in a grid indoors (aside from a few places), but the rollerskates/bike in XY allowed free movement, as well as just using the circlepad in ORAS

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Is "I don't have unpopular Pokemon opinions" an unpopular opinion?

MockingJ

Banned
extremely unpopular opinion: Gen 4 as a whole was very underwhelming and disappointing

I actually agree that the Gen 4 core games weren't that great. The 3D graphics looked scaly af and I didn't like how underutilized the touch screen was compared to some of the spin off games like Ranger.

Is "I don't have unpopular Pokemon opinions" an unpopular opinion?

But you've posted in this thread like twice before, so clearly you do have unpopular Pokemon opinions.

WolfCypher

So, um...I hate all of the human character designs in HGSS, especially (ES...SPECIALLY) OMAS, the protagonists of USUM (not the SM player characters, only their Ultra counterparts), and the heroes looks in Let's Go

I was so relieved to see that the characters so far (minus Milo) in SS look great, especially the player characters. I mean, Leon is just too much and comes off tacky, and Hop is just Hau again, yet I didn't mind Hau, so its not that bad...

But since after XY, or at least starting with HGSS, we've started to get these overly cutey looks to the character...like the whole open mouth "moe tooth" smile I hate. The male character in USUM looks goofy in his stock photo, ORAS's May and Brendan are just off to me...I really don't understand why Crystal from (Pokemon) Crystal got replaced by "Lyra" for HGSS, but seeing the direction they went with the redesigns, I'm actually glad Crystal was spared.

I used to love Gold and Brendan's designs, then their redesigns happened. Same with May.

To put a exclamation at the end of this, remake Brendan and May and USUM's male and female player characters are my least favorite and is an art direction I hate we've gone in
while BW's player characters, XY's Calem & Serena, and SS new protags I prefer.

I don't like the more recent art, and am concerned SS's character art is just a happy fluke.

Last edited:

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
I don't like Hoenn. Its Pokemon are among my least favorite with a few exceptions being far above the rest (Gardevoir, Mawile, Snorunt line, Surskit line, Wailord, Spoink, Claydol), and it contains my bottom 3 Pokemon (Sableye, Kyogre, and Jirachi). And I agree with IGN on the "too much water" thing. There's also the fact that the games removed visible day/night, took out the ability to visit your Pokemon in the DayCare, and had basically the worst soundtrack of all Pokemon games.

KyogreThunder

Call of Fate
I like HM moves. I know a lot of people don't but personally, I found the challenge of having to fit them into the team fun.
Agreed, and while the fact they take up moveslots is a valid complaint, I was incredibly disappointed that they weren't that important for progressing in the storyline starting with Black/White. Poke Ride is one of the most overrated features ever created, as basically having no right to use your own Pokemon to overcome obstacles is a slap in the face and an insult to the theme of the franchise. It doesn't help that the saddles and the Riding Wear look utterly ridiculous. Sadly, it looks like you can't surf on your Pokemon in Sword/Shield yet again.:mad:

AgentKallus

It's not a game Kate.
Male combee shouldn't evolve.

Agreed, and while the fact they take up moveslots is a valid complaint, I was incredibly disappointed that they weren't that important for progressing in the storyline starting with Black/White. Poke Ride is one of the most overrated features ever created, as basically having no right to use your own Pokemon to overcome obstacles is a slap in the face and an insult to the theme of the franchise. It doesn't help that the saddles and the Riding Wear look utterly ridiculous. Sadly, it looks like you can't surf on your Pokemon in Sword/Shield yet again.:mad:

I think in this regard Pikavee came to a good middle ground. You can ride on some of your own pokemon, and you have what are basically hm's but they don't take up a move slot and it's still your pokemon doing it just now it's only pikachu or Eevee that does it.

anjunajake

you were the sun & moon to me
Here's my unpopular Pokemon opinions:
The music in the games hasn't been good in years. I used to go back and visit cities like Ecruteak and Goldenrod just to listen to the music sometimes when I was younger. I don't think I've heard any music in any of the recent games I'm nearly as fond of.

The Sun & Moon anime art style is ugly and almost makes me not want to even watch anime. Battles are so much less dynamic, and it just look cheesy. I hope they return the the XY style eventually .

Sun/Moon/USUM were boring. I could not finish the games, even to this day.

Mega evolution was the best thing to happen to Pokemon in years. It's absence from this gen is a complete travesty.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
Here's my unpopular Pokemon opinions:
The music in the games hasn't been good in years. I used to go back and visit cities like Ecruteak and Goldenrod just to listen to the music sometimes when I was younger. I don't think I've heard any music in any of the recent games I'm nearly as fond of.

The Sun & Moon anime art style is ugly and almost makes me not want to even watch anime. Battles are so much less dynamic, and it just look cheesy. I hope they return the the XY style eventually .

Sun/Moon/USUM were boring. I could not finish the games, even to this day.

Mega evolution was the best thing to happen to Pokemon in years. It's absence from this gen is a complete travesty.
I agree with u about ALL points, except the first one - I think that the music in the recent games is really good

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
@anjunajake I haven't been a fan of the music for years either, for what it's worth. But Sword and Shield's make me want to possibly keep the music off. First time in a Pokémon game where I want to do that.