• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Unpopular Pokemon opinions V2 (READ FIRST POST)

LadyTriox

I have a boyfriend now; I am his princess❤️
I don't know if i'm the first one who thought this up, but I use power up punch+drain punch with Jirachis on showdown.

Welp.

And its actually pretty good too.

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
I don’t understand the appeal of Rosa or Hilda at all
Gen 5 nostalgia, plus in Hilda's case, I know a lot of people absolutely love the idea of an older protagonist.

But I think most of it comes down to nostalgia. B/W came out, what? 9, 10 years ago? And D/P came out like 12-13 years ago. We're at the point now where a not insignificant percentage of the fandom probably missed out on the first three generations due to age and started out with the DS games. To them, Gens IV and V and all associated characters are their nostalgia. I think that's also part of the reason why so many are apathetic toward Kanto.

Speaking of which...

I don't think this opinion is that unpopular, but I don't mind this "Kanto shilling" as long as the Pokemon getting attention are more underrated Pokemon that actually need it. You know, stuff like Farfetch'd and Ponyta and Butterfree that are basically considered useless and forgettable otherwise. Hell, that might even be part of the reason why Kanto gets so much attention. A lot of Kanto Pokemon are very simple and bland in design, not to mention competitively outclassed by the newer Pokemon, so why bother ever using them at all otherwise unless you really like them? And I'll be honest? Outside of stuff like Dunsparce, Delibird, Chatot, Qwilfish, and maybe a few others I'm not thinking of atm, I can't think of that many non-Kanto, non-recent Pokemon that are in that desperate need for an upgrade. But then, I don't play competitive, so what do I know?

Also want to mention that more Johto Pokemon than Kanto received new evolutions in Gen IV (and Hoenn was left out, either). There are more Mega Evolutions for Hoenn Pokemon than Kanto (and Johto and Sinnoh weren't completely left out, either, while Unova and Kalos were probably considered too new to receive Megas). Z-Moves were mostly a thing for the Alolan Pokemon anyway. And there are currently more Unova Pokemon in the Galar Dex than Kanto. This idea many have that GF/TPCI/whatever doesn't care about the other regions is utter nonsense.

The only time when the Kanto focus does annoy me is when it's the same Pokemon getting the shiny new toys every single time, and I think that is the real problem that has soured people's opinions of Kanto. It always seems to be Pokemon like Pikachu, Eevee + Eeveelutions, Meowth, the starters (especially Charizard), Mewtwo and Mew, Snorlax, Gengar, etc. that get all the attention because they're mascots or fan favorites. I think if GF/TPCI just backed off from those particular Pokemon, people wouldn't be as frustrated with Kanto. But we all know they won't, and I understand why they won't.

Last edited:

wanderist

Someone
I like the way Sword and Shield looks more than BOTW. I'm guessing it's more of an art style thing, but yeah.

I kinda said this when I said I loved Gen 6 a million pages ago, but I like the newer games just as much (sometimes even more) than older games. I thought Gens 6 and 7 were both great and would replay them over, say, Platinum. . Like XY and apparently even ORAS are called "garbage," but they're still some of my favorites. I don't feel that the games are getting "stale" at all.

HGSS is still great and will always have a special place on my favorites list for getting me back into Pokemon, but the last time I replayed it, it just...wasn't as good as I remember, I guess? I did still enjoy it, but I actually struggled from a lot of the same problems I had with the Sinnoh games with feeling things went really slow and wasn't inspired to keep going after getting to Blackthorn. I still love them and always will, but I can see what some people who actually don't like the games mean.

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
Yeah, I guess liking the newer games could be considered an unpopular opinion. But then, it's always been that way. There's a definite cycle with how the hardcore perceive Pokemon generations that's existed since Gen III. It goes something like:

Current generation (currently 7): Sucks and often considered the worst games in the series
Previous generation (6): Okay-ish. Not great, but still superior to the current generation
2-3 Generations ago (4 and 5) Peak of the series due to the people starting out with these games being old enough to talk about them on social media and feep nostalgia for them. They will continue to be considered the peak of the series until they get remade
Anything before that (1-3): Good for their time, but outdated now.

And unless Sw/Sh is GOTY caliber, I expect the cycle to continue.

wanderist

Someone
That's true. I remember back before Gen 6 when I was just getting back into the loop, Gen 5 was still being called "the worst games ever" by a lot of people, which kinda kept my away from the games for a bit. Thank goodness I stopped listening to those comments and finally decided to try them. :/

TwilightBlade

I don't know if i'm the first one who thought this up, but I use power up punch+drain punch with Jirachis on showdown.

Welp.

And its actually pretty good too.

On this subject, I'm against Pokemon Showdown and I'm surprised that Nintendo hasn't found a way to shut it down by now. I just dislike unofficial battle simulators since it seems cheap to me.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
On this subject, I'm against Pokemon Showdown and I'm surprised that Nintendo hasn't found a way to shut it down by now. I just dislike unofficial battle simulators since it seems cheap to me.
Is that the program that Youtubers tend to record with that background that is so out of place and horrible sprites and animations for the Pokémon?

Luthor

I think Brawly and Crasher Wake should use Poliwrath in any post game rematches. It just makes sense for both trainers but some people really don't seem to like the idea.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Yep. It's not allowed.

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
There needs to be more adult oriented Pokemon media

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
What do you mean by "adult oriented"? R-Rated gore or what happens in the daycare?
I’m actually wondering that myself. I think Pokémon is perfectly fine the way it is and the only time it should be a bit more mature is with the storytelling depending on the main theme of the games. BW/BW2 were able to pull off a darker tone because Ghetsis was an insane man gifted in the ways of persuasion and virtually had no humanity left in him. DPPt worked with Cyrus being a man completely jaded with the world and believing a world without emotions would be a perfect world not knowing how disastrous the process of making it happen would be. And SM worked mainly because Lusamine was a woman whose husband was lost during an experiment involving dimensions gone wrong and she became desperate to find him again thinking that the Ultra Beasts were responsible.

TwilightBlade

There needs to be more adult oriented Pokemon media

I probably shouldn't ask, but could you be more specific? Like do you mean more violence in Pokemon media or something? Because I've seen a lot of fans of the anime who want the series to become more dark or edgy so that it could appeal to teenagers and adults more, but I'm against any big changes.

RoughCoronet0

Dragon lover
Unpopular opinions huh? Well, I have a few but I will start with one around a subject that has irked me for awhile.

I never really understood the notion that the gen 5 Pokemon were just “rehashes” of gen 1 Pokemon and therefore unoriginal. While there are arguably a few that I can understand seeming to be inspired by gen 1, most comparisons seem rather shallow and circumstantial. If fact, I could make the same argument for many Pokemon from gens 2-7 as being “rehashes” that would make just as much sense.

Luthor

I actually like trade evolutions. Not trade with items but general trade evolutions can be quiet fun now that online trading is possible. Did once lead to the easiest gym battle I ever had when I traded a Boldore for a another Boldore and it became a Gigalith before easily soloing Skyla's gym.

Emboar_Rulez

Pokémon Master (Kinda)
I actually like trade evolutions. Not trade with items but general trade evolutions can be quiet fun now that online trading is possible. Did once lead to the easiest gym battle I ever had when I traded a Boldore for a another Boldore and it became a Gigalith before easily soloing Skyla's gym.

Hey I’m not the only one.All my friends would say rockenrolas weak though I would catch one early and would easily beat Lenora,Burgh,Elesa,Skyla,and Brycen

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
Charizard is my favorite Fire type Pokemon, and while I understand people are frustrated with it getting so many forms (even I think it's a bit ridiculous), I almost feel ashamed to like him because it seems like everyone outside of the casual fanbase absolutely hates him.