• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Unpopular Pokemon opinions V2 (READ FIRST POST)

GearChange

Elite Haxor
I like that there are so many different Legendaries and hate that people complain we have too much. People realize that there are multiple legends, folklore and the like, right? So doesn't it make sense that every main region has its own list of legendaries they believe in? People would probably still complain if we didn't have so many.

Leonhart

Imagineer
GearChange said:
I like that there are so many different Legendaries and hate that people complain we have too much. People realize that there are multiple legends, folklore and the like, right? So doesn't it make sense that every main region has its own list of legendaries they believe in? People would probably still complain if we didn't have so many.

I didn't mind the number of Legendaries in Gen I, II, and VI for instance, but I disliked the sheer quantity of them that we got in Gen III and IV. I guess that I feel that 4 or 5 Legendaries per generation should be the norm, but that's just me.

Luthor

I'd like a move with the effect of return to come back but with a different name. I've always thought the English version sounds like a U-turn variant.

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
While I'm excited for the return of Rockruff and Lycanroc, I would have preferred regional variants that are Ice-type and based on Arctic wolves

NeedsAName

I'd like a move with the effect of return to come back but with a different name. I've always thought the English version sounds like a U-turn variant.

It's japanese name literally translates to "Return Favor", because the Pokémon is returning the favor and rewarding its trainer for training it.

NeedsAName

While I'm excited for the return of Rockruff and Lycanroc, I would have preferred regional variants that are Ice-type and based on Arctic wolves

I'm getting a bit sick of this suggestion being placed everywhere. For many reasons:
  1. We've already gotten 7 Ice-type regional variants. Give us some variety in what types get regional variants, like a Poison/Normal Weavile or a Bug/Dragon Flygon
  2. Regional variants are only for Pokémon that are a bit old. Gen 5 came out almost a decade ago, so it's okay to have regional variants of Pokémon from Unova, like Yamask or Darmanitan
  3. LYCANROC DOESN'T NEED IT. Lycanroc is still fresh on everyone's minds and to anime watchers was a very notable alolan 'mon. Lycanroc also got three forms. If you want a Gen 7 Pokémon that got shafted and forgotten, why not Comfey? Or Dewpider?
  4. Ice-type is the rarest type. I do not want to see it weirdly thrown onto new forms; I want to see new, interesting Ice-types. How about an Ice/Electric bullfrog, or a Poison/Ice walrus, or an Ice/Normal arctic fox, or a Ghost/Ice snowman? Give us uniqueness and new ideas!

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Well, after the Pokémon of the Year pool, I guess that qualifies as unpopular opinion:

Chespin is the best Kalos starter.

There, I said it. I had to.

Chesnaught might be plagued with way too many weakness but it's still a solid pokémon with a decent design. In that aspect, I like it more than Greninja and Delphox.

Ash should have gotten this little boy but I still have some hope PM 2019 will do the right thing and tie those two together.

MrJechgo

I love all 3 Alolan starters equally and I would build a team with all 3 anytime :)
I just think that they have good typings, great designs and both decent stats and movesets.

NeedsAName

I love all 3 Alolan starters equally and I would build a team with all 3 anytime :)
I just think that they have good typings, great designs and both decent stats and movesets.

Not actually that unpopular. It's nice how they're trying to give us more equal starters where each has strengths and weaknesses, instead of one that sucks, one that's kinda cool, and one that steamrolls the entire game. (Although Popplio does steamroll a lot of trials and grand trials, especially in Ultra Moon)

MrJechgo

Not actually that unpopular. It's nice how they're trying to give us more equal starters where each has strengths and weaknesses, instead of one that sucks, one that's kinda cool, and one that steamrolls the entire game. (Although Popplio does steamroll a lot of trials and grand trials, especially in Ultra Moon)
TBH, I was really worried about Decidueye, because Grass/Flying isn't the best typing for a Grass starter unless you give it access to Rock moves to compensate, but Grass/Ghost caught me by surprise, and its Hidden Ability lets it attack physically without consequences. I love that Incineroar is a Dark type, not only because we didn't get one since Gen 2 (Houndoom), but it was also nice to get a starter with a personality. Primarina has a great design and moveset... although I will question why they didn't try something new and have Popplio being female more often.

Yeah, this is something I just don't understand: why do all starters, like EVERY SINGLE ONE, have 9 chances out of 10 of being male? Why not 50/50 or have one starter that has 9 chances out of 10 of being female? I'm not asking that one starter is male, the 2nd being either and the 3rd being female, but once in a while, it would have been nice. Starters like Chikorita, Snivy, Fennekin and Popplio could have been "female figures" for the starters. Aside from Attract and breeding, when did gender REALLY affected gameplay in a Pokémon game since Gen 2?

Anyway, let's not derail this topic too much ;)

NeedsAName

TBH, I was really worried about Decidueye, because Grass/Flying isn't the best typing for a Grass starter unless you give it access to Rock moves to compensate, but Grass/Ghost caught me by surprise, and its Hidden Ability lets it attack physically without consequences. I love that Incineroar is a Dark type, not only because we didn't get one since Gen 2 (Houndoom), but it was also nice to get a starter with a personality. Primarina has a great design and moveset... although I will question why they didn't try something new and have Popplio being female more often.

Yeah, this is something I just don't understand: why do all starters, like EVERY SINGLE ONE, have 9 chances out of 10 of being male? Why not 50/50 or have one starter that has 9 chances out of 10 of being female? I'm not asking that one starter is male, the 2nd being either and the 3rd being female, but once in a while, it would have been nice. Starters like Chikorita, Snivy, Fennekin and Popplio could have been "female figures" for the starters. Aside from Attract and breeding, when did gender REALLY affected gameplay in a Pokémon game since Gen 2?

Anyway, let's not derail this topic too much ;)

Not 9 of 10, but 7 of 8, 87.5%. Good point though.

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
The starters have 7 male-1 female ratios in order to discourage breeding, making it harder to get egg moves (they can breed with Ditto, but usually this needs to be done multiple times before a female is finally produced).

Lluc

Not a Very Well-Known Member
So these are some opinions that will probably get me branded as a 'tumblr sjw' but here's some thoughts I wanna get off my chest.

I've been thinking that.. it actually doesn't make a whole lotta sense for Gallade to be male-only. The majority of other gender-locked Pokemon either have a biological justification (Tauros, Miltank, Vespiquen) or they are based on a historical or mythological figure (Hitmon family, Froslass, Hatterene). As a whole, Pokemon don't seem to particularly care for human gender norms and that's why a lot of masculine or feminine looking Pokemon are gender neutral species. Gallade kinda stands out as 'it's male only cause it looks male' and I really do see the criticism that it feels like the only reason it exists is to appease people upset Gardevoir is gender neutral. As someone who also loves it when characters break gender stereotypes, I was kinda disappointed when Wally replaced his (male) Gardevoir with Gallade to fit into a cookie cutter image better. I understand Diantha had a Mega Gardevoir already but ideally I would have like it saved for Wally. I guess you could say the same for the Tsareena line as well but that stands out less to me since they weren't tacked on to a gender neutral family.

On a random note... now I'm a bit disappointed Durant doesn't have a female-only queen ant evolution!

NeedsAName

On a random note... now I'm a bit disappointed Durant doesn't have a female-only queen ant evolution!

We need a Bug/Fire-type fire ant where male ones evolve into Bug/Fire-type guards and female ones (12.5% chance) evolve into Bug/Psychic-type queens with access to the move Fly

NeedsAName

What would the base stats be?

From highest to lowest...
  1. Baby Ant: Speed, Attack, Special Attack, Special Defense, HP, Defense
  2. Male Evo: Attack, Special Attack, Special Defense, Speed, Defense, HP
  3. Female Evo: Special Defense, HP, Special Attack, Defense, Attack, Speed

Leonhart

Imagineer
Pikachu Fan Number Nine said:
The starters have 7 male-1 female ratios in order to discourage breeding, making it harder to get egg moves (they can breed with Ditto, but usually this needs to be done multiple times before a female is finally produced).

I dislike that so many Starter Pokemon have outrageous gender ratios. I normally don't care about the genders of my Pokemon, but in most cases I don't see why the gender ratios for most Pokemon species should be anything other than 50/50.

NeedsAName

I dislike that so many Starter Pokemon have outrageous gender ratios. I normally don't care about the genders of my Pokemon, but in most cases I don't see why the gender ratios for most Pokemon species should be anything other than 50/50.

It's to make it harder to breed them and get more starters. I think it's stupid, as they'll just find a Ditto anyway. I mean, look how easy breeding a competitive starter is. Just make the starters 50/50 already.