• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Unpopular Pokemon opinions V2 (READ FIRST POST)

Tsukuyomi56

Emblian Royalty
  • Speaking of Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee, I think they're some of the most polished and delightful games that Game Freak have ever produced, and I actually enjoy the alternative catching mechanics more than the traditional ones.
Though the timing for the Let’s Go games was not really good. Releasing them at a time when some fans are starting to get jaded with the Kanto references in the main series games and the “dumbing down” difficulty wise meant it didn’t get the warmest reception.

Even more so Game Freak had to state the Let’s Go were not the Switch games teased during one of the E3s.

Last edited:

Dared3v0

Just have fun
I hope this doesnt make anyone mad but i do not care for gen 3 its over hyped. Didnt like any of the games i stopped playing until diamond and pearl came out

Leonhart

Imagineer
Dared3v0 said:
I hope this doesnt make anyone mad but i do not care for gen 3 its over hyped. Didnt like any of the games i stopped playing until diamond and pearl came out

I'm surprised to read the terms Gen III and over-hyped in the same sentence. While Gen III doesn't receive as much criticism as Gen I for instance, it has sort of become a joke, what with the whole trumpets thing and "too much water" meme.

Monox D. I-Fly

I'm surprised to read the terms Gen III and over-hyped in the same sentence. While Gen III doesn't receive as much criticism as Gen I for instance, it has sort of become a joke, what with the whole trumpets thing and "too much water" meme.
Well, most young adults today grew up during Gen III. I remember when Pokemon Go was first released, my coworker who's 7 years younger than me said that he wanted a Rayquaza instead of any Gen I Pokemon.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
I remember when Pokemon Go was first released, my coworker who's 7 years younger than me said that he wanted a Rayquaza instead of any Gen I Pokemon.

That guy certainly is a man of culture.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
In a way yes people treat gen 3 like it saved the franchise
I would think it was actually Gen IV that did it with Platinum and HGSS. Gen III was when Pokémon popularity had dropped significantly and is the Gen a lot of older fans skipped due to them thinking the series was made only for little kids and wanting to look cool by pretending not to like Pokémon. DP didn’t sell as many copies as Platinum and HGSS became extremely popular for the nostalgia factor. Gen V had the franchise dip in popularity again with BW but BW2 renewed interest again and the series has been Keep a consistent fan base ever since.

Luthor

I think they should just do away with trade with item evolutions. The Pokemon home app doesn't really work with trade evolutions (at least the last time I tried) and those are much simpler than needing to check if the required item is there. Just have them evolve as regular held item evolution and that would work fine. They've already changed a few evolution methods in the past and this one would just simplify things.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
I think they should just do away with trade with item evolutions. The Pokemon home app doesn't really work with trade evolutions (at least the last time I tried) and those are much simpler than needing to check if the required item is there. Just have them evolve as regular held item evolution and that would work fine. They've already changed a few evolution methods in the past and this one would just simplify things.
^ This. Since it's a bit of a hassle doing this and there's always risk involved, meaning some jerk could just keep said Pokemon instead of returning it to the other person.

NeedsAName

Yes, yes, yes! The internet where I live is pretty unreliable and there's absolutely no one nearby I can trade with. I just want to be able to complete a Pokédex for once! I also think version-exclusives should be blocked. It could still be the case that certain Pokémon are much more common to encounter in a version, but players should be able to get at least one of each Pokémon in each version without trading.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony

Unfortunately, it probably won't be happening any time soon due to Japan being the one country where Pokémon is so big that those scenarios that play out in their advertisements, where strangers meet each other and find a common ground in Pokémon and immediately start trading, actually DO happen a lot in Japan.

It just doesn't happen in any other country (possibly except for Korea). Game Freak and The Pokémon Company are kind of myopic like that.

That, and they want to keep the "making friends" and "socialization" aspects of the franchise, as that's what defined it and let it stand out in the first place.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
I'm fine with version exclusives but they should be the only thing to promote trading aside from one time choices like starters. Trade evolutions feel like they're phasing out as no new Pokemon has required trading to evolve and a lot of trade Evolutions can be found in the wild

MrJechgo

I'm fine with version exclusives but they should be the only thing to promote trading aside from one time choices like starters. Trade evolutions feel like they're phasing out as no new Pokemon has required trading to evolve and a lot of trade Evolutions can be found in the wild
Agreed. Back then, you had to physically be there to trade your Pokémon and you could EASILY make sure that the other player would trade back your Gengar/Golem/Alakazam/Machamp. These days, it got pretty complicated...

Sαpphire

Johto Champion
Well, as for unpopular opinions, I guess I've developed a fair few that I expect to be a bit controversial in recent years...
  • Sword and Shield are severely mediocre games, but their narratives/stories especially are absolutely abysmal. Taking the spotlight and agency from the player and shifting them onto Leon, a poorly-written character that relies significantly on overused tropes, was a terrible choice, and the villain of the games ultimately has no clear motive or depth. While I'm no stranger to criticism of the games from the fanbase, the sales figures suggest this is probably a severely unpopular opinion overall.
  • Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee were phenomenal remakes, and because they rely less on narrative and don't take agency away from the player, they're often more enjoyable experiences than Sword and Shield. The graphics look significantly better given their polish, style, and clarity, too.
  • Sun and Moon have by far the best story of any releases in the series. The characters have greater depth than any prior characters, the plot at large was more gripping than anything prior, and the presentation was generally perfect. Above all else, having a well-written villain who is not wholly bad and not wholly incompetent was the piece that sent it over the finish line for me. I'm pretty sure the prevailing opinion in this fanbase is that Black and White hold this distinction instead, but I'm for Alola all the way.
  • Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, though they make narrative changes that I disliked, are the best games in the series, just above titles like ORAS, B2W2, and HGSS. They still have a strong narrative, despite the changes; they are some of the most challenging titles in the series; they have a respectable post-game with some great returning character moments, even if it's not a full Frontier or second region; and the selection of available species is pretty great. Not to mention things like customization.
  • Finally, I really don't want DLC to be the direction of the franchise in the future (a game should be finished before released, full stop) and I do want Diamond and Pearl remakes next year, rather than waiting years. For the latter point, I think there's a lot less time required for a remake since some of the base assets from SwSh can be reused and the story is already fully written. All they need to do is make a faithful remake with current assets and a little bit of added polish (like not having muddy textures and lazy animations in cutscenes). But I do want a two or even three-plus year gap after that. Give us Diamond and Pearl on the Switch, do them right (no cut content), and then go back to the drawing board and think long and hard about what would actually be good for this franchise. With a truly amazing game, I fully believe that this series could have its best selling title yet, if SwSh can sell what will probably end up being nearly 20 million copies.

I would think it was actually Gen IV that did it with Platinum and HGSS. Gen III was when Pokémon popularity had dropped significantly and is the Gen a lot of older fans skipped due to them thinking the series was made only for little kids and wanting to look cool by pretending not to like Pokémon. DP didn’t sell as many copies as Platinum and HGSS became extremely popular for the nostalgia factor. Gen V had the franchise dip in popularity again with BW but BW2 renewed interest again and the series has been Keep a consistent fan base ever since.

While I agree with the overall sentiment that the fourth generation was probably an important point in the series' commercial history, I want to take a moment to point out that Diamond and Pearl actually sold significantly more than either Platinum or HeartGold and SoulSilver sold. They're at nearly 18 million sales compared to the almost-13 million of HGSS and less than 8 million for Platinum. If the fourth generation had any hand in prolonging the franchise's success, and I honestly think it did, it's probably owed significantly more to Diamond and Pearl than the other games. As for the fifth generation, its first paired titles are the lowest generation-starting titles in the history of the series, sure - but Black 2 and White 2 didn't help matters at all; they're the lowest selling paired versions in the history of the main series, and if divided in half, tied as the lowest selling individual versions in the series, too. The fifth generation, as a result, is arguably the true lowest point in the franchise's history. What probably saved the series, assuming anything did at all, was Pokémon Go. It resulted in a sales surge that carried the sixth generation pretty far, and set up for a successful seventh generation that managed to outsell the fifth (whether or not LGPE are counted as a part of it).

Seeing the success of Sword and Shield, though, I would argue that Pokémon is probably just 1) cyclical in its success, odd generations tending to do worse and 2) heavily dependent on the success of Nintendo and its current consoles at any given time. The DS line, for example, was massively record breaking for handhelds; thus Diamond and Pearl being marginally more successful than Ruby and Sapphire. The Switch, too, has proven to be wildly popular so far, hence Sword and Shield doing so well that they're virtually guaranteed to outsell all versions but those from the first two generations by the end of the year.

Ash-Pikachu

I have a few unpopular opinions:

1. Sinnoh is overrated. Platinum was my first mainline pokemon game and I believe Platinum is a great, replayable game. However, I think the overworld design is overrated. The story encourages you to backtrack to certain areas, but traversing through some areas is a slog, HM usage is over the top IMO, and there's a lack of variety in some areas since it's either constant caves, marshes, rocky, and grassy areas.

That doesn't mean Sinnoh is poorly designed. Towns are very memorable (Hearthome City and Celestic Town to name a few) and Mt. Coronet was very interesting because it is a central area in which you can enter it from every angle, acts as a boundary between various different areas without being intrusive, and is ultimately a fantastic lead to the climax, but it just feels a bit bland and annoying to travel through for those reasons.

2. Silver is overrated. I recently played through Heartgold for the first time which is also my very first experience with Johto in general. Silver has a fantastic introduction by stealing one of the Professor's starter pokemon and valuing strength above all else. However, most of his development happens off-panel. We don't see how he mistreats his pokemon and we don't really understand when his shift in attitude changes towards his own ideology of valuing strength above all else and ignoring his own pokemon's feelings. We also don't really understand when he begins to respect the player. Good concept, just not executed very well.

3. Hugh is a great rival. I love how he battles the player, so he can test the player and push him towards beating Team Plasma rather than battling as some sort of competition and test of strength. He battles for strength so he can be strong enough to rescue his sister's pokemon rather than to become Champion. It was a new refreshing take on what a rival usually is and his angsty behavior is actually realistic such as his reaction to those who defected from Team Plasma. His acknowledgement towards the player and how he views him/her as "incredible" also felt the most genuine out of any rival I've witnessed though that could change once I beat Black 1.

4. People are blinded by nostalgia for Johto. For some reason, the egregiously limited pokemon distribution, limited movesets, limited Kanto pokemon, and over-emphasis on trade evolutions is completely ignored yet Black and White featuring 156 new pokemon that is spread organically throughout the entire region is disparaged. Movesets weren't limited at all and you're given plenty of solid pokemon with unique typing, movesets, and stat distributions that are viable for the average playthrough. You're given significantly more options than HG/SS gives you yet this flaw somehow ruins the entire experience of Black and White rather than HG/SS. I really enjoyed HG/SS, but it's really annoying that most of the pokemon I want to use is either found in Kanto or can't be obtained without trade. I have another 2DS and Platinum, but it's still really annoying having to set up another DS and trade just to evolve most of the pokemon in Johto. I've just reached Chargestone in Black and I can definitively say that the pokemon variety and distribution is astronomically better.

5. Unova isn't linear. Routes are more thoughtfully designed, way more open with plenty of areas to explore, much less intrusive usage of HMs that reward exploration, and more diversity than we've witnessed in a Pokemon game. It's more technologically advanced with battles taking place in areas you would not expect. For instance, we have a Desert Resort that is under construction with multiple trainers to battle, a sewer, and a route that is actually a small village that people live in just to name a few. Unova doesn't really feel linear at all and it has significantly more variety than any other region I've played thus far (excluding Kalos and Alola). Towns also are more expansive with more to do.

6. Black 2/ White 2 are flawless save for removing some TMs (Dark Pulse has forsaken me), introducing hidden abilities which are good in concept, but can be unobtainable later on (such as the removal of the Dream World), and not being able to battle the B/W protagonist in B2/W2.

7. Platinum was never that hard. Fighting types are absurdly good in this game, we have one of the best flying type pokemon i.e Staraptor that learns Close Combat, and an incredibly good pokemon distribution (save for fire types) that helps in dealing with trainers like Cynthia. You're not only given access to Chimchar, Starly, and Sphinx early on, but you can catch a Gible and teach it Earthquake before the 3rd gym. Save for a few battles, the game isn't that hard. Black and White 2 was much harder due to having a steeper level curve and Heartgold still remains to be the hardest Pokemon game for me thus far.

8. Pokemon hasn't lost creativity. I think a lot of the Pokemon designs are still really top-notch and I feel as though pokemon in general have more life and personality than ever before. The increase in competitive battling and the extra level sh*t you can do with many pokemon gives more pokemon a purpose and makes them significantly more memorable by default. Google "Trace Gardevoir" or "Moody Glalie" and you will see what I mean.

9. Fairy typing is badass, no one will change my mind.

10. Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee were lacking, but they were very enjoyable experiences which really captivated me to actually catch new pokemon more than I ever wanted to in any Pokemon game including Black 2/ White 2 which leads me to ...

11. Black 2 is the best Pokemon game I've ever played. (That might change once I dig deep into Heartgold's Kanto and postgame and play the Gen 6 and Gen 7 games).

Last edited: