• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Unpopular Pokemon opinions V2 (READ FIRST POST)

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
And my unpopular opinion is Charmeleon looks better than Charizard. And Charizard lost a lot by NOT keeping Charmeleon's red/crimson color

Leonhart

Imagineer
Spider-Phoenix said:
And my unpopular opinion is Charmeleon looks better than Charizard. And Charizard lost a lot by NOT keeping Charmeleon's red/crimson color

I can't say that the thought of Lizardon (Charizard) having a crimson hue sounds appealing to me. I try to envision it, but it just seems wrong. I don't have any particular opinions on Lizardo (Charmeleon) aesthetically speaking, although I remember thinking that its role in the anime during the Kanto saga should've lasted longer.

Monox D. I-Fly

Also agree and while I'm at it, I make it my unpopular Pokemon opinion #006:
Charizard is just a staple generic-looking dragon if its tail isn't lit on fire.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
I can't say that the thought of Lizardon (Charizard) having a crimson hue sounds appealing to me. I try to envision it, but it just seems wrong. I don't have any particular opinions on Lizardo (Charmeleon) aesthetically speaking, although I remember thinking that its role in the anime during the Kanto saga should've lasted longer.

Don't need to imagine how Charizard would look like because Smash have us this option lol

My biggest unpopular opinion is.... not gonna be taken too well lol, but let me continue anyways.

Pokemon generation 2 (and their remakes included) is really overhyped. There's a few huge issues that really bring down my enjoyment of these games.
1) the level curve after gym 4 is really bad. All wild pokemon around gym 5-8 cap out in the early to mid twenties in levels. This makes grinding up for Claire and the Elite Four really time consuming and grating. Raising a full team of 6 really sucks in these games.
The calling system for rematches is really unreliable as trainers call you at random times, while with VS. Seeker you have way more control.
2) The variety of pokemon available early on in Johto really hinders replayibility of these games. A lot of the Johto Pokemon are really weak and unviable in general, while some cool ones Houndour and Tyranitar are locked to the post-game.
3) Kanto is gutted, many locations inaccessible or pared back. Johto also feels cramped together like they were desperately trying to fit two regions in one cart. HG/SS fixed Kanto up with bringing back locations like Viridian Forest and Cerulean cave, but it still ends up feeling like a glorified boss rush. They should've tried making Johto the best it could be, because I feel including Kanto actively hurt both regions.
4) Complete lack of story. I know some will say "who plays pokemon for the story", and, fair enough. I just want some sort of motive, some plot thread to keep me going, like other gens do. It doesnt have to perfect. But, Team Rocket in Johto is a complete joke that accomplishes nothing, while Silver arc feels incredibly rushed, especially the end of it. Nothing really happens in gen 2. The only moment where I felt invested was the Ho-oh battle in Heartgold.

The remakes add a lot of stuff on top of originals, but fix nearly none of G/S's core issues. OR/AS are better remakes for their games than HGSS were, because they made surfing in Hoenn from a chore to actually being fun, and spruced up the story quite a bit. Issues that the original R/S/E had.

*runs away from stampeding mob*

Last edited:

Monox D. I-Fly

My unpopular Pokemon opinion #007 and #008:
I still believe that Squirtle's and Wartortle's spiraling tail is based on a squirtle's instead of a Minogame's, a mythical turtle which is only known in Japanese.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang

Actually, I agree with everything you said. Some very well made points.

I think gen 2 is overhyped as well. The only things it has going is "return to Kanto + battle with Red". If you took those novelties what else the game has? New mechanics like breeding?

Honestly, I've found Johto one of the weakest regions. Doesn't help most of the new pokémon from there are really unappealing, aside some exceptions (Mareep and Larvitar lines for me).

Monox D. I-Fly

My unpopular Pokemon opinion #009:
Ever since I read in the Bulbapedia that "Blastoise's cannons may have been derived from the functioning tubes found in mussels and some other shellfish, thus its category", I can accept that it is categorized as Shellfish Pokemon.

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.
And should be evolved into Lizardo early in Don't Get Angry, Okorizaru! Episode to Match the Special!Red's Fusshī 2nd evolution that also fought against Okorizaru as well and so Dragon Rage actually do made sense.

Jesness

Togekiss Enthusiast
There are too many Pokemon.
With every new game, Game Freak introduces roughly 100-120 new Pokemon. There's currently, something like 890- that's not including the few new ones we're getting in the DLC. GF has painted themselves into a corner. With SW/SH they pruned the Pokedex despite some really heated fan-backlash. I believe that's an issue that will get worse, not better. If GF had a problem with the Pokedex because 800 mons were too many, what happens when the number hits 1,000 or 1,200? They release a NEW (not a remake) mainline title about every 3-4 years, so if they continue with this pattern we'll get another game in 2022/2023 with more new mons and probably less Pokedex/Box space. Despite the harsh criticism they've received over the lack of a National Dex this time around I highly doubt we'll ever see it in a mainline Pokemon Game again.

Monox D. I-Fly

My unpopular Pokemon opinion #010:
The real life inspiration of Caterpie looks more Pokemon-like than Caterpie itself.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
With every new game, Game Freak introduces roughly 100-120 new Pokemon. There's currently, something like 890- that's not including the few new ones we're getting in the DLC. GF has painted themselves into a corner. With SW/SH they pruned the Pokedex despite some really heated fan-backlash. I believe that's an issue that will get worse, not better. If GF had a problem with the Pokedex because 800 mons were too many, what happens when the number hits 1,000 or 1,200? They release a NEW (not a remake) mainline title about every 3-4 years, so if they continue with this pattern we'll get another game in 2022/2023 with more new mons and probably less Pokedex/Box space. Despite the harsh criticism they've received over the lack of a National Dex this time around I highly doubt we'll ever see it in a mainline Pokemon Game again.
I agree with you 100%. I don’t have as much free time to play Pokémon to try and complete the National Dex like I could 10 years ago. I can’t even complete the various Dexes in XY and the Gen VII games. In XY the only Dex I managed to complete was the Central Dex. And in the Alola games I never finished one, not even the Poni Dex which was th3 smallest one of all even after three years of continuous play sessions everyday. So how am I supposed to complete a National Dex with nearly 900 different Pokémon without it taking so long that Gen IX comes out and I must start over again?

pacman000

On a quest to be the best...
I agree with you 100%. I don’t have as much free time to play Pokémon to try and complete the National Dex like I could 10 years ago. I can’t even complete the various Dexes in XY and the Gen VII games. In XY the only Dex I managed to complete was the Central Dex. And in the Alola games I never finished one, not even the Poni Dex which was th3 smallest one of all even after three years of continuous play sessions everyday. So how am I supposed to complete a National Dex with nearly 900 different Pokémon without it taking so long that Gen IX comes out and I must start over again?
Transfer the old Pokémon from the previous game? That way you only need to catch the new ones.

TwilightBlade

I agree for the most part but you're overestimating how many new Pokemon Gamefreak makes these days since Generations 6, 7 and 8 introduced less than 100 new Pokemon each iirc not counting regional variants and Megas which aren't actually new Pokemon.