• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Unpopular Pokemon opinions V2 (READ FIRST POST)

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
Some pokemon are just pointless.

Like Luvdisc, Phione, Melloeta (or whatever it's called), sword trio, genie trio.

Too many.
Phione isn't pointless, as Manaphy likely wouldn't exist without them. The Platinum entry for Phione and the Diamond entry for Manaphy taken together with the fact that Manaphy and Phione produce Phione Eggs imply that Manaphy is a particularly strong mutant variation of normal Phione.

And my unpopular opinion is Charmeleon looks better than Charizard. And Charizard lost a lot by NOT keeping Charmeleon's red/crimson color
Both evolutions lose out to Charmander either way. Also, I have a particular distaste for the color red, and have always disliked Charmelon for it.

There are too many Pokemon.
With every new game, Game Freak introduces roughly 100-120 new Pokemon. There's currently, something like 890- that's not including the few new ones we're getting in the DLC. GF has painted themselves into a corner. With SW/SH they pruned the Pokedex despite some really heated fan-backlash. I believe that's an issue that will get worse, not better. If GF had a problem with the Pokedex because 800 mons were too many, what happens when the number hits 1,000 or 1,200? They release a NEW (not a remake) mainline title about every 3-4 years, so if they continue with this pattern we'll get another game in 2022/2023 with more new mons and probably less Pokedex/Box space. Despite the harsh criticism they've received over the lack of a National Dex this time around I highly doubt we'll ever see it in a mainline Pokemon Game again.
They could just make a regional dex but make the ones not included still transferable. Sort of like they did with some of the old mythicals. They don't appear in the dex, they're not mandatory for anything, but you can still transfer them to your game.

They don't even have to increase box size since Home can already hold thousands of pokemon. Yes it's a paid service but still.

Jesness

Togekiss Enthusiast
I agree for the most part but you're overestimating how many new Pokemon Gamefreak makes these days since Generations 6, 7 and 8 introduced less than 100 new Pokemon each iirc not counting regional variants and Megas which aren't actually new Pokemon.
I had to look it up, but you're right. In the last 3 generations, they've released more like 70-80 new mons for each generation.

They could just make a regional dex but make the ones not included still transferable. Sort of like they did with some of the old mythicals. They don't appear in the dex, they're not mandatory for anything, but you can still transfer them to your game.

They don't even have to increase box size since Home can already hold thousands of pokemon. Yes it's a paid service but still.
I'm sure there are workarounds, but still, 890 mons is...a lot; and likely more are on the way at some point. Also, as someone mentioned up-thread, some mons are kinda redundant.

Last edited:

WalesNote

70 or so new pokémon including 3-5 legendaries is enough for a new generation. Along with regional variants/mega evos/etc.

On topic, if there are only like 8 gyms in a region (in the anime), then the gym leaders must have terrible careers as they must lose like 200 odd times every time the league finals are held (I assume once a year). Imagine being a gym leader and losing that many times every year...

Luthor

70 or so new pokémon including 3-5 legendaries is enough for a new generation. Along with regional variants/mega evos/etc.

On topic, if there are only like 8 gyms in a region (in the anime), then the gym leaders must have terrible careers as they must lose like 200 odd times every time the league finals are held (I assume once a year). Imagine being a gym leader and losing that many times every year...

To be fair in the anime there have been a lot of examples of other gym badges other than the ones in game and we've even seen some of the other gyms.

Monox D. I-Fly

My unpopular Pokemon opinion #011:
I don't know why people tend to overlook that Metapod looks like a samurai face with a goatee, even Bogleech who always goes on every detail about any particular Pokemon doesn't say anything about it.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Also, I have a particular distaste for the color red, and have always disliked Charmelon for it.

I understand the feeling. While I do like Red, I hate Pink.

Monox D. I-Fly

My unpopular Pokemon opinion #012:
Due to its name being Butterfree, when I was a kid I thought when it releases its scales it's supposed to be butter (flour). Yes, I know that it's named after "butterfly", but the name "Butter Free" gives me that imagination.

MrJechgo

Due to its name being Butterfree, when I was a kid I thought when it releases its scales it's supposed to be butter (flour). Yes, I know that it's named after "butterfly", but the name "Butter Free" gives me that imagination.
Reminds me of an early episode in which Jessie and James ask Meowth to talk and tell jokes to get money. I think it was during a fair where trainers had Pokémon with special talents... and Ash and co. are helping a Bellossom trainer getting a dance move right.

Meowth: "What's the healthiest Pokémon to eat? Caterpie!"
*deadpan silence*
*James jumps in*
James: "It's Butterfree, not Caterpie, you idiot!"

Last edited:

Ophie

Salingerian Phony

Makes me think of how for a long time, I thought Growlithe's name was "grow" + "lithe." While I knew it'd grow evolving into Arcanine, I didn't understand why particular attention was given to it being able to grow.

WalesNote

Unown is a cool little dude.
Needs a buff.

HP 60
ATK 75
DEF 60
SPA 80
SPD 80
SPE 65

At least a new ability in which, if there's another Unown on the field, both get all their stats raised by 1 level.
Or another different ability.

And new attacks. Actual psychic attacks or new attacks that act like hidden power or something.

mtqc

MY BEANS!
1: ORAS was a more fun remake to play through than HGSS. The Battle Frontier was never a huge selling point for me, so I didn't care about that. It felt like a more well rounded game than RSE, with extra features and more fun contests/secret base builds.

2: I don't care about the national dex at all. I guess it's disappointing for my favorite to not be in this set of games, but really, it just makes me more excited for the next set of games. Now, there's more than just new Pokemon to look forward to; I can have fun speculating about the returning Pokemon as well.

3: I like Gigantamax designs way more than Megas. For example, giga Charizard looks cooler than either X or Y mega forms, and giga Venusaur stampedes over mega Venusaur in every way.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Im not a fan of the XY/XYZ series of the Pokemon anime (I think it's actually the worst series in fact.)
Also I think AG was the best series, particularly because of the Battle Frontier arc.

MrJechgo

3: I like Gigantamax designs way more than Megas. For example, giga Charizard looks cooler than either X or Y mega forms, and giga Venusaur stampedes over mega Venusaur in every way.
While the gimmick can be seen as "stupid", D-Maxing 1) is at least available for every Pokémon, with G-Maxing being a bonus for some, 2) doesn't require an item and 3) is not changing the types, thus doesn't lock a typing behind an item.

Imagine if non-Mega Charizard was Fire/Dragon, Sceptile Grass/Dragon, Ampharos Electric/Dragon, Altaria Dragon/Fairy, Lopunny Normal/Fighting and Audino Normal/Fairy. That would have gotten much less salt when Megas were removed XD

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Darn, I mistook threads.

So to not make it go to waste... I don't really like dynamax but I'll admit that the idea of making your pokémon go all ultraman is kind interesting.

(still bitter they didn't make an Ultraman inspired pokémon though)