• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Unpopular Pokemon opinions V2 (READ FIRST POST)

RTLfan

I like anime Iris and she's my favourite travelling companion. Yes, I agree that her storyline was poorly written but that doesn't make me dislike her as a character. I'm also not bothered by the fact that she used to call Ash immature which is another major complaint about her...was he NOT immature?? Of course he was. Is there something wrong with calling someone out for it?? Of course not.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Always good to see another Iris fan. I've never had any issues with her to be honest. I like her dynamic with Ash way better than everything they did with misty back in the day

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I didn’t hate Iris as a character. I just didn’t like how she was ultimately written and made no real progress with her ultimate goals. She only caught Dragonite as her second Dragon type Pokémon which is really bad for someone trying to become a Dragon Master, she didn’t get much character growth, and she didn’t train Axew as often and as hard as she could have. Axew should have been much stronger near the end of the BW series and could have also been close to evolution but it chose not to go through the process which we know other Pokémon like to do if the animators didn’t want to animate a Fraxure. Her personality and attitude were fine other than her calling a “kid” at times but it wasn’t something that was a deal breaker for me. She just felt one noted at times.

Iris to me would be like Misty to 90's kids kinda, I started watching the anime in BW, so...

But either way, an even more unpopular opinion: Iris is better than Misty

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.

Redstar45

Kazuniya

read/watch dungeon meshi
Unpopular opinion: Iris is better written than Serena
Agreed. Serena is written as a very shallow female character and one of her defining character traits is her romantic feelings for another male character. Even in the final episode of XY, she makes it sound like eventually getting Ash is her goal. It would have been better had they taken the "I want to be like you" route with her simply admiring Ash, but they really had to do a kiss and everything, because apparently that's all she's good for. It really says a lot about the character when she hasn't even gotten her own special or made a cameo in another series (despite the fact that people praise her and XY to be some of the most popular things in this anime). Ultimately she's a forgettable existence who served the purpose of giving viewers some fanservice and being one of the female characters to just obsess over Ash (let's not forget it took writers about 47 episodes for Serena to decide on her own goal). Her existence was especially effective since she followed Iris, a female companion who actually wasn't an Ash-obsessed idol 24/7. Iris took a lot of sh*t from people for her attitude towards Ash which was somehow "hateful" (even though any reasonable individual would be able to figure out it's banter among friends). Unlike Serena, Iris's motivations or desire to travel were not centered around a boy. She was a strong-willed, sometimes stubborn character who pursued her own path from very early age. She had a memorable personality and behavior, especially when contrasted to Serena's mild, borderline-dull personality and behavior. BW gets a lot of criticism for its supposedly less-than-average writing, and yet a lot of people miss out on the fact that Iris had a more compelling personality and story than Serena. That's what makes Iris a better-written character than Serena, and why she's objectively better.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I agree that Serena was a bit more shallow in comparison to Iris but she also had some character growth which is something Iris was missing and needed. Iris virtually stayed the same her entire run and the only character growth she really got was a bit more confidence in her battling skills and getting Excadrill out of its funk. Serena changed her look, grew more confident the more she did the Showcases, and she grew as a Pokémon trainer.

Redstar45

Agreed. Serena is written as a very shallow female character and one of her defining character traits is her romantic feelings for another male character. Even in the final episode of XY, she makes it sound like eventually getting Ash is her goal. It would have been better had they taken the "I want to be like you" route with her simply admiring Ash, but they really had to do a kiss and everything, because apparently that's all she's good for. It really says a lot about the character when she hasn't even gotten her own special or made a cameo in another series (despite the fact that people praise her and XY to be some of the most popular things in this anime). Ultimately she's a forgettable existence who served the purpose of giving viewers some fanservice and being one of the female characters to just obsess over Ash (let's not forget it took writers about 47 episodes for Serena to decide on her own goal). Her existence was especially effective since she followed Iris, a female companion who actually wasn't an Ash-obsessed idol 24/7. Iris took a lot of sh*t from people for her attitude towards Ash which was somehow "hateful" (even though any reasonable individual would be able to figure out it's banter among friends). Unlike Serena, Iris's motivations or desire to travel were not centered around a boy. She was a strong-willed, sometimes stubborn character who pursued her own path from very early age. She had a memorable personality and behavior, especially when contrasted to Serena's mild, borderline-dull personality and behavior. BW gets a lot of criticism for its supposedly less-than-average writing, and yet a lot of people miss out on the fact that Iris had a more compelling personality and story than Serena. That's what makes Iris a better-written character than Serena, and why she's objectively better.
I'm just gonna pretend I never saw that...

Redstar45

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
The way I see it all of the main characters have their own flaws with some improving over time with character growth and development and others actually becoming worse and a couple that don’t really go either way. Tracy was the worst as he literally got no character development. The best one to get a lot of growth and development aside from TRio and Ash is May because she went from being virtually uncomfortable being near Pokémon to a Contest Coordinator that had lots of self confidence and skills in training Pokémon enough to wow the judges. May actually learned how to get into sync with her Pokémon in Contests so that they wouldn’t mess up and fail to move on and also to how they are feeling.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Probably unpopular opinion but I don't have an issue with both, Iris AND Serena. I think they were handled well most of the time. And the positives about them outweights the negatives.

But either way, an even more unpopular opinion: Iris is better than Misty

Ah, I see you are a man of culture as well.

I didn’t hate Iris as a character. I just didn’t like how she was ultimately written and made no real progress with her ultimate goals. She only caught Dragonite as her second Dragon type Pokémon which is really bad for someone trying to become a Dragon Master

Actually, she got a Gible on her special post-series episode. The dub completly skipped it though.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Unpopular opinion: I actually like the design of the original form of Mr. Mime. It isn’t too over the top with the Clown aspect as Ronald McDonald and clowns portrayed as circus performers tend to be in media and it also demonstrates the type of clown that isn’t seen or used as much being one that doesn’t have an excessively white face with a huge red nose and covered in makeup and oversized Afro wig and tiny hat. Most people don’t realize that there are more than one type of clown out there and Mr Mime is a good example.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Unpopular opinion: I actually like the design of the original form of Mr. Mime. It isn’t too over the top with the Clown aspect as Ronald McDonald and clowns portrayed as circus performers tend to be in media and it also demonstrates the type of clown that isn’t seen or used as much being one that doesn’t have an excessively white face with a huge red nose and covered in makeup and oversized Afro wig and tiny hat. Most people don’t realize that there are more than one type of clown out there and Mr Mime is a good example.

There's also the fact that the "monster clown" archetype never materialized in Japan, and as such, coulrophobia is very rare there compared to the Americas or Europe. Characters like Joker and Pennywise are well-known there, but they're seen as creepy villains who happen to look like clowns.

This came to light with the character Lola Pop in ARMS, who was designed to be charming and friendly but was instead offputting and uncanny to western players. Consequently, Lola ranks near the top of popularity polls in Japan but near the bottom among westerners.

I personally like Mr. Mime myself, by the way. His design seems to evoke more of the classic harlequin archetype than circus clowns, who would perform on the streets in central Europe in centuries past, and whom both the circus clown and the mime descended from. There are not many modern-day characters with this basis anymore, as the clown and the mime are both much more popular. (Then again, much of the Comedia dell'Arte has fallen by the wayside.) I don't think he was ever intended to evoke "clown" that much though. Popplio and Blacephalon were made to fill that gap, if you ask me.

Tsukuyomi56

Emblian Royalty
I totally agree. 2D sprites were charming and the newer full 3D style doesn't look as enthralling. I wish Gamefreak would go back and make a 2D game for nostalgia's sake.
Not sure why fans think going back to 2D will magically make the games become "better". Some of the Gen 5 sprites look grainy at times (especially the back sprites) and from looking at the sprite assets from Fire Emblem Heroes you may have to sprite a lot of parts if you desire animated sprites.

Last edited:

Weavy

I come and go suddenly
I'm not sure how unpopular this is, but I don't see people bring it up often, so I'm going to assume it's unpopular.

I honestly prefer the SuMo Looker Sidequest over USUM's Rainbow Rocket.

Now, the idea behind Rainbow Rocket is pretty nifty. You got villains who come from worlds where they win and there was no protagonist to stop them. But the fact there's no real buildup to this makes me think it's just...there. Looker does appear in these games, but it's literally just a one off on the way to the Battle Tree and that's it, making me feel like his inclusion here was wasted and forced.

The SuMo Looker sidequest isn't the most amazing thing ever since there's some flaws I have with it, but it ties into the main plot better for what it is since it shows us the consequences of Lusamine opening the Ultra Wormholes earlier in the game. Other beasts have fallen through these wormholes and they're anxious for being in a world in which they are not familiar with, but they're also very dangerous beings who threaten the safety of our worlds people and Pokemon. So we have to protect the people and Pokemon as well as the beasts themselves by catching them. I've always liked trying to protect animals, so this was right up my ally.