• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Unpopular Pokemon opinions V2 (READ FIRST POST)

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
I’m fine with the Galar fossils. My favorite is Arctozolt with Arctovish and Dracovish being close behind. I like Dracozolt too but it is my least favorite only because of how extremely misappropriated its upper half is. It just looks a bit awkward where the others were a bit much with details too but they were put together incorrectly so it makes sense. And Arctozolt and Arctovish look the most like an actual animal.

Captain Jigglypuff

I love the Galarian Fossils as well. Though I have a feeling they will be a one time thing and the next generation will have more traditional fossil Pokemon
I am thinking the same as they have many unique characteristics to them that don’t really need to be repeated such as being unable to be bred and all being unrelated to each other in the sense none of them will evolve into another one of them.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Unpopular but I was fine with the fossils being half-rock type. It's an interesting theme.

I just wish we had one more duo based on actual dinosaurs. Not counting the abominations, we only have Tyrantrum, Amaura, Rampardos and Bastiodon.

I really want an actual triceratops and a velociraptor :(

Captain Jigglypuff

Unpopular but I was fine with the fossils being half-rock type. It's an interesting theme.

I just wish we had one more duo based on actual dinosaurs. Not counting the abominations, we only have Tyrantrum, Amaura, Rampardos and Bastiodon.

Isn’t Aerodactyl a dinosaur?

Orphalesion

Unpopular opinion: I prefer fossils to be based on very early, Pre-Triassic animals and Pokemon based on dinosaur to be ordinary, non-fossil species, such as Tropius.

Isn’t Aerodactyl a dinosaur?

Aerodactyl is a Pterosaur, a flying reptile. They are related to dinosaurs, but are not dinosaurs.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Aerodactyl is a Pterosaur, a flying reptile. They are related to dinosaurs, but are not dinosaurs.

Yes, that is.

Even though popular culture has pterosaurs be classfied as dinosaurs, they aren't really.

Akashin

Don't worry everybody is allowed to like what they like.

Though I gotta say I don't find them "disturbing", to me it's a lot worse than "disturbing": I find them silly. As in "too silly to take serious in any way" That's why I don't like them.

Maybe I'm just too hyper-focused on the story implications rather than just letting a Pokemon be a Pokemon, but my problem is that their entire basis is being incorrect abominations. It bugs me in a weird way that moving forward they'll just continue to be wrong (and unless they entirely change the method of getting them, scientists in future games will keep making the same mistake Cara Liss made), and that we'll never see the 'actual' Galar fossil Pokemon.

Leonhart

Imagineer
janejane6178 said:
I prefer fossil Ookemn that evolve and not ugly ones like we have this gen

My favorite Fossil Pokemon is Ptera (Aerodactyl), which became my favorite after I watched the Kanto Fossil Pokemon episode from the Kanto saga. That said, while I don't like the newer Galar Fossils, I like the concept of Pokemon assembled from ill-matched parts. They're like chimeras.

Emperor Empoleon

Honor of Kalos
I like picking Chikorita in Gen 2. Having a supportive Starter Pokemon is pretty unique for a regular playthrough, and a bit more interesting than just powering through. Chikorita's various disadvantages in Gyms also make it more important to have good team members who can pick up the slack offensively. Also Meganium is adorable.

RedBlastoise

Cerulean Blues
I like picking Chikorita in Gen 2. Having a supportive Starter Pokemon is pretty unique for a regular playthrough, and a bit more interesting than just powering through. Chikorita's various disadvantages in Gyms also make it more important to have good team members who can pick up the slack offensively. Also Meganium is adorable.

I like Chikorita, Bayleef and Meganium's designs but I wish they were double typed just to give them a wider movepool especially in GSC.

Tsukuyomi56

Sky High Knight
Though it blows Chikorita only gets Leech Seed as an Egg Move so all it can do against Team Rocket’s army of (mostly) Poison-types is setting up screens. It doesn’t help Johto’s selection Pokemon are not too impressive (R.I.P most stone evolutions essentially being ”post-game” Pokemon).

Luthor

Though it blows Chikorita only gets Leech Seed as an Egg Move so all it can do against Team Rocket’s army of (mostly) Poison-types is setting up screens. It doesn’t help Johto’s selection Pokemon are not too impressive (R.I.P most stone evolutions essentially being ”post-game” Pokemon).

Yeah Leech seed by level up would make sense. I've always thought it should have got dig like the other Johto starters. It wouldn't be overpowered and considering it can get Earthquake when fully evolves it seems logical. A useful move to get through the early stages.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Reflect is really strong in early game, Chikorita is nowhere near as weak as people just looking at type matchups at gyms believe. Almost everything in early game is physical, and Chikorita helps your entire team wall things and stall things out, also getting Poisonpowder early. Chikorita is the best starter in dealing with Whitney, while Bugsy and Falkner are easy to beat anyway and Reflect also helps against them.

Leonhart

Imagineer
RedBlastoise said:
I like Chikorita, Bayleef and Meganium's designs but I wish they were double typed just to give them a wider movepool especially in GSC.

I always thought that their reptilian appearance could've made them pass as Dragon-types, so it's a shame that they weren't dual typed that way, although if they had been Grass/Dragon that would've made them 4 times weak to Ice attacks.

MrJechgo

I always thought that their reptilian appearance could've made them pass as Dragon-types, so it's a shame that they weren't dual typed that way, although if they had been Grass/Dragon that would've made them 4 times weak to Ice attacks.
There's another problem: giving the Dragon type to a starter is a little... OP, especially given that the Dragon type to resistant to Grass, Water and Fire. Charizard got the Dragon type... but via a Mega Evolution, not to replace its Flying type. Grass/Fairy would probably work a little better for Meganium though.