• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Unpopular Pokemon opinions V2 (READ FIRST POST)

Luthor

Here's another thing I think about Chikorita. One of its egg moves is vine whip. Considering even in Gen 2 that wasn't really that useful I think it should just be added to its level up set (While i'd be ok with it being removed the anime loves it so best to leave it as an option). Either that or give vine whip an additional effect or power buff so its actually usable.

Teravolt

cilan lives forever in my heart
Not sure how unpopular this is, but I’ll go with it. X and Y, despite Y being my first Pokémon game, were unfortunate for a variety of reasons. In my opinion, Calem and Serena were pointless, undeveloped characters. I thought Trevor, Shauna, and Tierno at least had personalities, and they should have gotten more screen time. You just battle them a few times, they pop up randomly, and that’s it. In addition, X and Y had virtually NO POSTGAME. You got the Kanto legends and...nothing else. This was also my problem with base Sword and Shield (aka no DLC). I thought that ORAS and all of gen 7 did a far better job with storytelling and postgame content that gen 6 did. I wish that the Elite Four battles were harder, and that the Gym Leaders and other characters appeared more often.

Teravolt

Not sure how unpopular this is, but I’ll go with it. X and Y, despite Y being my first Pokémon game, were unfortunate for a variety of reasons. In my opinion, Calem and Serena were pointless, undeveloped characters. I thought Trevor, Shauna, and Tierno at least had personalities, and they should have gotten more screen time. You just battle them a few times, they pop up randomly, and that’s it. In addition, X and Y had virtually NO POSTGAME. You got the Kanto legends and...nothing else. This was also my problem with base Sword and Shield (aka no DLC). I thought that ORAS and all of gen 7 did a far better job with storytelling and postgame content that gen 6 did. I wish that the Elite Four battles were harder, and that the Gym Leaders and other characters appeared more often.
Oh, I also DESPISE Serena. She’s like the preppy popular girls obsessing over makeup and fashion that aggravate me to no end. She’s extremely shallow and obsessed with Ash, who is oblivious to any concept of romance. So annoying.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Oh, I also DESPISE Serena. She’s like the preppy popular girls obsessing over makeup and fashion that aggravate me to no end. She’s extremely shallow and obsessed with Ash, who is oblivious to any concept of romance. So annoying.
I don't dislike her (in fact I definitely prefer her over Ash and Team Rocket anyday), but the way she was treated was disappointing. I wish she got more focus in general.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Teravolt said:

She was a lot of things in the anime, but I don't think "shallow" describes her character. She cared about a lot of things that didn't involve Satoshi (Ash), such as her Pokemon and her mother, as well as her other traveling companions and Sana (Shauna). While I was never that fond of her goal, I at least understood why she liked fashion, and frankly Hikari (Dawn) was the same way when it came to clothing, yet nobody ever criticizes her for that.

Teravolt

She was a lot of things in the anime, but I don't think "shallow" describes her character. She cared about a lot of things that didn't involve Satoshi (Ash), such as her Pokemon and her mother, as well as her other traveling companions and Sana (Shauna). While I was never that fond of her goal, I at least understood why she liked fashion, and frankly Hikari (Dawn) was the same way when it came to clothing, yet nobody ever criticizes her for that.
Fair point. There’s a double standard with plenty of the anime characters, honestly. I hear lots of talk about Misty, Serena, and Dawn, but virtually nothing about gen 7’s or 8’s female characters. I’ve just been slammed for liking Cilan and disliking Serena before. I think one of my problems with Serena is that I don’t have much in common with her and she reminds me of people I don’t like. But I appreciate that you’re speaking your mind about this.

Vini310

Most spin-off Pokémon games were moved to mobile not only because mobile gaming is big, but because the console spin-off games sell extremely poorly.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
I've never been a fan of Mega Latios & Mega Latias. They aren't the worst designs (its another mega that holds that title for me) I just think they could have done a lot more with both.
I think that they look too similar which isn’t a good thing. Only their eyes are different colors and one has tufts on the side of the head but the latter is so easy to overlook. And the only other way to tell them apart is if they are Shiny.

MrJechgo

Trading evolutions must go... That's like the most annoying method to evolve your Pokémon. Trading will always be part of the series thanks to the version exclusives, but seriously, trading evos have become a pain. Back in the days, you KNEW with who you wanted to trade your Pokémon, because you had to plug two Game Boys with a cable. These days, good luck even getting in contact with anyone willing to trade you... and accept to trade it back afterward.

I've mentioned it in another topic, but evolutions have changed over time. For instance, Charjabug now evolves into Vikavolt (Gen 7) using a Thunder Stone and not from levelling up in a specific area. Same goes for Leafeon and Glaceon which now [finally] evolve with their respective Stones, and let's face it, that changes the gameplay a LOT since you can get these evolutions probably way sooner than expected. So if THIS can be done, pretty sure that trade evolutions can be replaced with something less problematic, yet a bit more challenging, such as levelling up in a specific terrain while holding an item and having learned a specific move. As an example, Onix could evolve into Steelix when gaining a level while underground (any cave), holding a Metal Coat AND having learned Iron Tail.

Luthor

I think Celebrate should have a better effect even just something like acting as a healing move or improving a random stat, or critical hit ratio or at the very least give the Pokemon a berry or increase the user's happiness. It's got a cool animation but it really is mostly useless (at least since Z-moves have gone)

Vini310

This does not apply just to Pokémon, but... Just because a boss is hard, it does not mean the entire game is hard, the same goes if you struggle against a specific boss.

Back in 2010, when I played Pokémon Platinum for the first time (I still have the save file), my knowledge of basic gameplay mechanics (e.g. type matchups, held items, status moves etc.) was very limited, thus I made some crazy mistakes, like equipping X items in my Pokémon or ignoring type matchups entirely in favor of just spamming a not effective move*.

*The worst example of this: Gardenia. For context, I chose Piplup as my starter, only trained him, and I didn't knew Flying-type moves were strong against Grass-types, so I got rid of Peck and my Starly was extremely underleveled (as were all the other Pokémon I had). The battle against Gardenia, and many other difficult battles I had, were won because of luck, rather than strategy.

Does this mean Pokémon Platinum is too hard? No, it's just me who didn't understood the game's mechanics, and I feel many people completely ignore this when discussing difficulty in Pokémon games, or even in games as a whole.

Luthor

Because of the lore around Spritomb and it often having complex requirements to find in some games. I've always thought it seemed like a Pokemon that should have been legendary. Especially as its Pokedex entry feels the very specific. For example "its constant mischief and misdeeds resulted in it being bound to an Odd Keystone by a mysterious spell.". That being said it's much more convenient that it is not legendary as it means it can be traded, bred and owned by certain trainers.