• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Unpopular Pokemon opinions V2 (READ FIRST POST)

zolios

I'm not a huge fan of Crobat compared to most Pokemon fans and I actually like Golbat (and even Zubat) a lot more than Crobat, I also think that Golbat's design is a lot better/cooler than Crobat's.

Psajdak

Jolteon is the only Eeveelution that doesn't seem as full of itself as others, IMO.

If that makes any sense.

Vini310

Roster rotation (e.g. Pokémon Sword and Shield) is better than mindless dumping (from Pokémon Gold/Silver to Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon, where all Pokémon where avaliable in the game's memory, but around half of them couldn't be obtained within the game itself), at least now the Pokémon who appear in the game have a genuine reason to be there. EVERY Mon franchise does that, so why it's wrong when Pokémon does it? The "Every Pokémon is somebody's favorite" argument does not work.

Veemon is my favorite Digimon, and in Digimon World DS, he can ONLY be obtained via Wi-Fi, which is no longer avaliable, yet you don't see me shitting on Digimon World DS. It's still a good game, and if my favorite Mon is out of reach, I can just use another.

OwensJB

Here goes - I don't like shiny Pokemon. Like at all. I have a few that I found accidentally and caught as trade fodder but I never go out of my way to find them because I don't think a Pokemon having a different colour is special or unique.

Tsukuyomi56

Emblian Royalty
Roster rotation (e.g. Pokémon Sword and Shield) is better than mindless dumping (from Pokémon Gold/Silver to Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon, where all Pokémon where avaliable in the game's memory, but around half of them couldn't be obtained within the game itself), at least now the Pokémon who appear in the game have a genuine reason to be there. EVERY Mon franchise does that, so why it's wrong when Pokémon does it? The "Every Pokémon is somebody's favorite" argument does not work.

Veemon is my favorite Digimon, and in Digimon World DS, he can ONLY be obtained via Wi-Fi, which is no longer avaliable, yet you don't see me shitting on Digimon World DS. It's still a good game, and if my favorite Mon is out of reach, I can just use another.
The Pokemon fanbase has been "spoiled" in the sense backward compability (bar between Gen 2 and 3) and retaining the entire roster has been the norm prior to Sword/Shield. Going the route of other monster collecting franchises is a big shock though the delivery of the news could have been done better.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Already strong Pokemon like Garchomp and Lucario did not deserve Mega Evolutions... they should have let Pokemon put to the side like Octillery or Miltank have Mega Evolutions to put some spotlight on them.

I agree that they didn't require a boost given that they were already quite popular in the competitive battle scene even before Mega Evolution came along from what I remember. Mega Evolution and regional variants should only be used to bolster unpopular, weak Pokemon from my perspective.

Nyter

Island Challenger
I agree that they didn't require a boost given that they were already quite popular in the competitive battle scene even before Mega Evolution came along from what I remember. Mega Evolution and regional variants should only be used to bolster unpopular, weak Pokemon from my perspective.
Exactly. I would have liked to seen Pokemon like Bellossom, Heatmor, or Cryogonal be given such perks.

Alakazam, Blaziken, and Charizard were already popular in competitively and in-game.

I really look to find ALL Pokemon shine to allow for more choice in variety.

MrJechgo

Exactly. I would have liked to seen Pokemon like Bellossom, Heatmor, or Cryogonal be given such perks.

Alakazam, Blaziken, and Charizard were already popular in competitively and in-game.

I really look to find ALL Pokemon shine to allow for more choice in variety.
Wouldn't it have been a bit more useless if non-popular Pokémon were getting "all of the good stuff"?

"Hey! Here are some new abilities for these Pokémon?"
"Ok, where are those for those Pokémon?"

Even right now in Gen 8, I see no reason to use G-Max Butterfree, Kingler, Orbeetle and Sandaconda... It probably wouldn't be the case if we got special trainer who would use these Pokémon.

Teravolt

cilan lives forever in my heart
Cilan is beautiful and I am in love with him. Serena is incredibly annoying, and I don’t like her at all.

if i already posted this please forgive me

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Unpopular opinion: the Gen I Games looking back retrospectively are the games that are the weakest in terms of gameplay and aren’t as great as everyone remembers them as. I am not saying that RBY/G are terrible games but when you compare them to GSC which were a step up in terms of content and game play or BW, you see how flawed they are and that it’s amazing how such games that are so basic for the series could create a franchise that is still going on extremely strong after 25 years and still counting. Pac-Man Fever fizzled out by 1984, Sonic lost his title of being Mario’s main competitor when the Dreamcast was discontinued, and Street Fighter isn’t nearly as popular as it was in the 90s. Point is very few video game franchises can last decades with an extremely strong fan base that still continues to grow and the only other two franchises to do so are also Nintendo owned properties. But yeah RBY had terrible battle sprites, too many glitches, and find someone with the games and a link cable was near impossible if you were older than the typical kids that were playing the games back then.

Here we go.

Journeys is one of the worse series as a whole because of its episodic format, plus Ash is getting tossed aside and is essential stale at this point.

Ash’s Torterra is actually strong, he just got unlucky.

Kiawe, Lana, and Misty are some of my least favorite out of Ash’s companions (though I do not hate any of them)

DP openings both JP and English are overrated, though they are great, there’s a lot that are better.

Gens 7-8 Ash is a lot different personality wise from Gens 1-6 Ash, as we don’t get a lot of him caring a lot about Pokemon moments as we used to.

Ash doesn’t deserve the hate that he gets, nether does Goh, however he is a stale character.

Serena’s Pancham is awesome.

The XY dub was actually good.

BW isn’t that bad, although there are some bad moments, and Ash is mostly himself aside from acting OOC in some moments (vs Elesa) unlike SM.

Ash’s Oshawott should never evolve.

Cramorant is my favorite Pokemon.

Season 21 was the only “good” SM season, as the others sucked.

Italianbaptist

Informed Casual
I’d rather have Let’s Go Johto than DP remakes.