• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Unpopular Pokemon opinions V2 (READ FIRST POST)

Emperor Empoleon

Honor of Kalos
This, but more I'd rather have anything over any sort of remakes period.
Haha, I've felt this way for a while. I did love FRLG and HGSS as a way to modernize those games with Gen 3's new infrastructure, and make them compatible with the rest of the series...But by the time we got to the 3DS, I just didn't have a-lot of interest in it. Pokemon's mechanics haven't changed quite as radically as they did with the move to Advanced, and we reached the point (at least, technologically) where old games could be re-released digitally instead.

Akashin

Haha, I've felt this way for a while. I did love FRLG and HGSS as a way to modernize those games with Gen 3's new infrastructure, and make them compatible with the rest of the series...But by the time we got to the 3DS, I just didn't have a-lot of interest in it. Pokemon's mechanics haven't changed quite as radically as they did with the move to Advanced, and we reached the point (at least, technologically) where old games could be re-released digitally instead.
I definitely don't disagree with the general idea that the primary benefit of remakes (getting to enjoy the original game with new mechanics) isn't necessary, you'll never hear me for a second argue that ORAS were unnecessary. They're way and away my favorite set of remakes on the sole basis of how the story was handled relative to the original games, and while they do have their share of faults, most of those faults don't tangibly impact how I enjoy the games anyway.

I'll play DP remakes if and when we get them, but to be honest, I was more interested in them during Gen VII. It just seemed like better timing in terms of providing a similar reworking of the story; ORAS reworked RSE to include Mega Evolution, and remakes of DP seemed to have a good opening to do the same with Z-Moves. But that's just me being story-oriented.

Baggie_Saiyan

Well I think ORAS was needed because of the lack of special and physical split in Gen 3. I don't think DP is needed other than fan pandering 'cuz imo the games also hold up graphically. Mechanically it will be the same experience, that can't be send for if you play original Gen 1, 2 and 3 games vs remakes the experience is going to be different.

Imo they should concentrate on bringing a good port to Switch for D/P/Pt and then put effort into either more DLC for Gen 8 or jump to Gen 9.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Gen IV I think is acceptable to be remade with 3D graphics and the addition of Fairy types. It would also help those interested in creating a complete living National Dex in Home and would explain why the Sinnoh Fosdils are missing from the Crown Tundra and why Chingling isn’t in SwSh despite the Incense necessary to get it has always been in the games.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
Well I think ORAS was needed because of the lack of special and physical split in Gen 3. I don't think DP is needed other than fan pandering 'cuz imo the games also hold up graphically. Mechanically it will be the same experience, that can't be send for if you play original Gen 1, 2 and 3 games vs remakes the experience is going to be different.

Imo they should concentrate on bringing a good port to Switch for D/P/Pt and then put effort into either more DLC for Gen 8 or jump to Gen 9.
Diamond and Pearl are slow as a cow and is slower than the Gen 3 games. It still might look pretty but even the more text-filled games like BW and SM are faster than DP. They definitely did not age well at all (and a remake could help fix the awful Pokedex too)

Luthor

Diamond and Pearl are slow as a cow and is slower than the Gen 3 games. It still might look pretty but even the more text-filled games like BW and SM are faster than DP. They definitely did not age well at all (and a remake could help fix the awful Pokedex too)

I do suspect that the Pokedex will be very different and will probably be closer to the Platinum Dex (or possibly larger). Much as I preferred the Diamond and Pearl playthrough (especially in relation to Volkner and Flint) it does make logical sense to expand the Dex.

Akashin

Overall, I'm not overly concerned with justifying whether or not a given remake should exist. So long as the remake offers a fresh experience, I have no problem whatsoever with it existing. So long as I don't come out of having played a remake feeling as though it's the same thing with a facelift and that I could have gotten the same experience by blowing the dust off the original and replaying it, I'm happy.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
Overall, I'm not overly concerned with justifying whether or not a given remake should exist. So long as the remake offers a fresh experience, I have no problem whatsoever with it existing. So long as I don't come out of having played a remake feeling as though it's the same thing with a facelift and that I could have gotten the same experience by blowing the dust off the original and replaying it, I'm happy.
I think that allthe remakes we had were very good (Idk if to include Lets go games cuz Idk if its considered 100 % a remake)

Bus

I loved Gen 4, but you're right about the Dex; it was pretty bad. I started with Piplup and didn't realize that the only Fire types available in the game were the Fire Starter, Ponyta, and Heatran and I believe that was it. You would think that the Fuego Ironworks would have had a Fire type, but nope; they didn't think to include Magmar until Platinum. And even then, it was JUST Magmar and nothing else. Fire Types were left high and dry for Gen 4.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I loved Gen 4, but you're right about the Dex; it was pretty bad. I started with Piplup and didn't realize that the only Fire types available in the game were the Fire Starter, Ponyta, and Heatran and I believe that was it. You would think that the Fuego Ironworks would have had a Fire type, but nope; they didn't think to include Magmar until Platinum. And even then, it was JUST Magmar and nothing else. Fire Types were left high and dry for Gen 4.
Not exactly. Houndour/Houndoom and Flareon were also added to Platinum.

Romaíos

Unpopular opinion (at least it seems like it to me on here). I want the Pokemon anime to completely end. I feel that an anime really isn't needed anymore imo.
If the current series is the direction they have chosen to take, i support this 100%

Bus

Not exactly. Houndour/Houndoom and Flareon were also added to Platinum.
Oh really? My bad. Still though, doesn't change the fact that the original Duo only had 3 fire types; one of which was a Starter so only available if you chose it in the beginning (or traded) and the other a Legend available in Post Game. Kinda slim pickings.

Luthor

Oh really? My bad. Still though, doesn't change the fact that the original Duo only had 3 fire types; one of which was a Starter so only available if you chose it in the beginning (or traded) and the other a Legend available in Post Game. Kinda slim pickings.

Very true. It was the only game that I had to use a Rapidash in-game (which was surprisingly fun). The truly odd thing on that was that it was an easy to avoid problem as they had designed a new fire type in Magmortar so including Magmar wouldn't be an issue. Even Heat rotom (which wasn't a fire type at the time but is now) is not in diamond and pearl's dex.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
I dont mind the art style of the DP remakes.
It doesn't bother me too. It reminds me of the Yokai Gakuen game, actually which I find kind of neat. Looking forward the crossover fanart. Don't fail me, internet!