• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Unpopular Pokemon opinions V2 (READ FIRST POST)

UltimateNinja

Praying for the holy relics
Graphically speaking, the main series is ALWAYS sub-par compared to spin-offs (Gen 4 and Gen 5 VS. Pokémon Ranger and Mystery Dungeon, anyone?)

Graphically the Pokemon games were always subpar to most of the other J/RPG titles in their respective handheld. Look at Golden Sun on the GBA or the Dragon Quest titles on the DS.

Like the whole flame for SwSh having subpar graphics just got me so annoyed when they compare them to other Switch games when the exact same scenario already happened before.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Unpopular opinion:
ORAS r my fav remakes (and pokemon games overall)
I don’t think that is an unpopular opinion. It is usually between HGSS and ORAS about which pair of remakes are the best. FRLG are still popular but not nearly as popular as the others.

Aryash Bajaj

Say I'm fat again!
Isn't this pretty typical of JRPGs though? By and large, people in Japan play RPGs to be told a story, not to make their own. Mass Effect bombed in Japan, for instance, because the player actions were affecting the narrative too much. You don't see this sort of thing in the Dragon Quest games or Atelier games either.

Well, thanks for telling me since I didn't know that.

I was more so talking about connecting the gameplay to the story. But I see the player base of Japan has differing tastes.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
I don’t think that is an unpopular opinion. It is usually between HGSS and ORAS about which pair of remakes are the best. FRLG are still popular but not nearly as popular as the others.
HGSS are considered to be the best games by many fans and therefore the most liked remakes. I have seen alto of complains about ORAS, especially about the lack of BF (which I never really cared about to be honest)

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
HGSS are considered to be the best games by many fans and therefore the most liked remakes. I have seen alto of complains about ORAS, especially about the lack of BF (which I never really cared about to be honest)
I have seen plenty of people call ORAS their favorite remakes. Mostly in Facebook Groups and YouTubers but yeah ORAS are still considered to be the favorite pair of remakes among some fans. Most are disappointed with the absence of the BF but still say that it was how a remake should be done with current technology. I think this is why a lot of people don’t like the Chi art Style of BDSP.

Orphalesion

I've never taken much notice of the music in Pokemon. To me it's there, usually fits the situation and/or location its assigned to, and then I forget it.
If you played me a track I could honestly not tell what game it is from, if I'd even recognize it as being from a Pokemon game.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
I don't care much either unless the track is really good like Wally's ORAS theme (and Gladion's to a lesser extent)

Orphalesion

I don't care much either unless the track is really good like Wally's ORAS theme (and Gladion's to a lesser extent)

See, I have no idea what Gladion's theme even was. I looked it up on youtube but still I didn't go "oh yeah, that's from Pokemon Sun!" or "Oh yeah, that's Gladion's theme" or anything, even though I played through Sun multiple times (I haven't played ORAS, so I can't say anything about Wally's theme there)

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
As a whole I don't tend to care much about BGM songs. I mostly prefer the vocal tracks.

The only exception is the original Saint Seiya anime. Seiji Yokoyama was a genius who left us way too soon.

Orphalesion

As a whole I don't tend to care much about BGM songs. I mostly prefer the vocal tracks.
Yeah, same here, I even don't like a lot of classical music, because a lot of it doesn't have lyrics. An instrumental piece of music has to be very memorable, or has to strike some cord with me for me to like and remember it.
And well, none of the Pokemon music has done that so far.

MrJechgo

Yeah, same here, I even don't like a lot of classical music, because a lot of it doesn't have lyrics. An instrumental piece of music has to be very memorable, or has to strike some cord with me for me to like and remember it.
And well, none of the Pokemon music has done that so far.
Might be unpopular, but... speaking of music, I vastly prefer the anime versions. Yeah, you know how much we make fun of how video game adaptations don't get it right? Well, aside from a rather obnoxious protagonist :p, the music is 1) the same as the games and 2) pretty rockin' :D

Trainer Battle (Red/Blue/Yellow):

Trainer Battle (Let's Go; way more orchestral):

Trainer Battle, renamed Burning Battlefield, for the anime:

I heard the anime version for the first time in the Battle for the St. Anne episode and it felt good :)

Ok, I admit that music tastes are vastly subjective, but still ;)

Luthor

I prefer games to have multiple in-game trades. One of my favourite things to do in-game is to collect them all. Even if they aren't that useful.

Leonhart

Imagineer
While on this subject, I have to admit that I find Misturu's (Wally's) theme music and N's to be incredibly overrated and not that special from my viewpoint. I personally think that there are at least a hundred more interesting tracks in the Pokemon games, yet those two in particular seem very popular among the fandom for whatever reason.

MrJechgo

I prefer games to have multiple in-game trades. One of my favourite things to do in-game is to collect them all. Even if they aren't that useful.
I recall in Yellow being able to trade a Cubone for a rather low-level Machoke... that then evolved into Machamp.. and that was eligible for the Pika Cup in Stadium 1 ;) Since the traded Pokémon is of the same level, you could have gotten a lvl. 5 Cubone from Gen 2 (hatched), time-machine it to Gen 1, trade it away and get a lvl. 5 Machoke that evolved to a lvl. 5 Machamp :p

Trillion

While on this subject, I have to admit that I find Misturu's (Wally's) theme music and N's to be incredibly overrated and not that special from my viewpoint. I personally think that there are at least a hundred more interesting tracks in the Pokemon games, yet those two in particular seem very popular among the fandom for whatever reason.
i feel the same way about bede's theme. i like wally's and n's though

Vini310

Pokémon fans may see Gen 5 as the best generation ever, but Pokémon Company sees it as the worst.

When BW was first released, it got a TON of backlash from fans, which didn't prevented it from being one of the best-selling DS games of all time (15.64 million, only surpassed by DP's 17.87 million), in fact it sold more than HGSS (12.72 million), and it got a 40/40 from Famitsu, sounds good, right?

What if I told you that... BW is the only Gen 5 product that sold well?

B2W2 only sold 8.52 million, which is more than Platinum (7.60 million), but by Pokémon standards, it's essentially a commercial failiure.
Pokémon RéBURST, a manga that was being published around the same time BW was released, was cancelled.
The B2W2 arc of the Pokémon Adventures manga was put on hiatus until the end of Gen 7.
And overall, merchandise didn't sold well either.

In essence, Generation V, as a whole, is a commercial failiure. The only higher-ups who seem to like Gen 5 as much as the fans themselves are Game Freak, and even then one must wonder if the backlash taught the higher-ups that Gen 5 is the problem, that it's and old shame that shouldn't exist. Not helped by how B2W2 fixed the Pokémon variety problem and still underperformed in sales, meaning that listening to the fans didn't paid off at all.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
While I do think the Isle of Armor and the Crown Tundra were better than the Wild Area, one thing I think the Wild Area was better at was shifting Pokemon due to the weather cycles. It made the encounters feel a tad bit more unique.

Vini310

Pokémon DOES innovate, just because the innovations aren't thrown into your face, does not mean that there isn't innovation.
Frankly, the people who scream about Nintendo and Pokémon not innovating don't understand that most fans LIKE the small things the sequels does and aren't interested in drastic changes.
It's almost like making things differently just for the sake of being different fails really hard (Def Jam Icon, Fossil Fighters Frontier, Zelda II).

Complaining about innovation only works when the fans themselves are ignorant (Pokémon fans complain about the main series being stale, but ignore spin-offs completely).

I wonder if the pro-innovation crowd would practice what they preach if they became game developers.

Last edited: