• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Unpopular Pokemon opinions V2 (READ FIRST POST)

Monox D. I-Fly

It's almost like making things differently just for the sake of being different fails really hard (Def Jam Icon, Fossil Fighters Frontier, Zelda II).
Probably they want Pokemon main series games to be like Digimon World series where each installment has totally different mechanism.

Luthor

I've mentioned before that the scaling in pokemon is a bit odd (with Pokemon like Wailord or Eternatus) but another thing is that sometimes even subtle differences don't translate well. I never realised Arctozolt was as big as it was until I checked the Pokedex. It's 7'07. I assumed it was nearer to Charizard or Garchomp's height. Feel much more accuracy in height across the the board would help the games feel more immersive.

MrJechgo

I've mentioned before that the scaling in pokemon is a bit odd (with Pokemon like Wailord or Eternatus) but another thing is that sometimes even subtle differences don't translate well. I never realised Arctozolt was as big as it was until I checked the Pokedex. It's 7'07. I assumed it was nearer to Charizard or Garchomp's height. Feel much more accuracy in height across the the board would help the games feel more immersive.
Ponyta being 2 to 3 feet high is the biggest scaling weirdness XD

I know that a foal at bith is roughly 3 feet, but a pony is usually close to 5 feet tall. I swear, that episode in which Ash raced on a Ponyta threw people off big time XDD

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Ponyta being 2 to 3 feet high is the biggest scaling weirdness XD

I know that a foal at bith is roughly 3 feet, but a pony is usually close to 5 feet tall. I swear, that episode in which Ash raced on a Ponyta threw people off big time XDD
The anime is extremely weird when it comes to the size of Pokémon. Nidoking and Nidoqueen look like they’re over six feet tall in the anime but in reality they are barely 4 1/2 feet tall with Nidoqueen being only 4’3 and Nidoking being four inches taller. And Aerodactyl looked massive when it was flying around with Ash in its claws. Ash looks so tiny but Aerodactyl is about Six feet tall which is the same height as Incineroar which doesn’t make Ash look that small.

MrJechgo

The anime is extremely weird when it comes to the size of Pokémon. Nidoking and Nidoqueen look like they’re over six feet tall in the anime but in reality they are barely 4 1/2 feet tall with Nidoqueen being only 4’3 and Nidoking being four inches taller. And Aerodactyl looked massive when it was flying around with Ash in its claws. Ash looks so tiny but Aerodactyl is about Six feet tall which is the same height as Incineroar which doesn’t make Ash look that small.
Let's not get into Pokémon weights. Ash can lift very heavy Pokémon and at some point, managed to throw a giant log at Team Rocket, only to NOT being able to do the same in Alola XD

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Voicework would have given a much better immersion in Sword and Shield, especially for human characters. Seriously, when there's like only silence, it's a little... weird ^^;
Too expensive to hire so many actors for all these languages. And would still be weird because the games get fewer languages than for example the anime that also gets languages like Russian, Dutch, Polish, Swedish, etc. And a lot of the dialogue in games is seriously messed up and that becomes way more obvious in audio than if it's just in some text you immediately A-button through without paying it any attention. They'd have to actually try to write sensible dialogue for most characters. I also don't think most players want to wait on the actors to finish talking all the time, it slows the game down.

MrJechgo

Too expensive to hire so many actors for all these languages. And would still be weird because the games get fewer languages than for example the anime that also gets languages like Russian, Dutch, Polish, Swedish, etc. And a lot of the dialogue in games is seriously messed up and that becomes way more obvious in audio than if it's just in some text you immediately A-button through without paying it any attention. They'd have to actually try to write sensible dialogue for most characters. I also don't think most players want to wait on the actors to finish talking all the time, it slows the game down.
Japanese and English would be a good start. Also, it would help accessibility if the human characters would talk. Finally, well, if writing can be an issue, maybe if they spoke it aloud, it would nudge the writers to make it better :p

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
I'd much rather see them spend more resources actually making the games better by getting the pokémon availability back, getting proper trading systems back, etc. rather than spending tons of resources on something that would get annoying by the time you face Bug Catcher number 7 or the 10th time you heal at a pokémon centre. For the resources it takes to voice act a pokémon game in multiple languages you could do so much more useful stuff.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
I'd much rather see them spend more resources actually making the games better by getting the pokémon availability back, getting proper trading systems back, etc. rather than spending tons of resources on something that would get annoying by the time you face Bug Catcher number 7 or the 10th time you heal at a pokémon centre. For the resources it takes to voice act a pokémon game in multiple languages you could do so much more useful stuff.
You could have a scenario like Breath of the Wild or Fire Emblem Awakening where they only do full voice acting in the cutscenes, and talking to normal NPCs gives you a small clip like "Hey" while they say something else.

MrJechgo

You could have a scenario like Breath of the Wild or Fire Emblem Awakening where they only do full voice acting in the cutscenes, and talking to normal NPCs gives you a small clip like "Hey" while they say something else.
My thought exactly. Trainer customization could offer voice samples, and just have lines like "Go!", "I choose you!", "Come on!", "Return!", "That's enough.", "Great work!", "Attack!", "Watch out!" and so on. Hey, since your starter is your first Pokémon, there could be extra lines based on each one.

As much as I would love to hear the Pokémon's actual names, having 900+ Pokémon, each with 6 clips, in 12 languages each, would be absurd ^^;

They did that for Pikachu and Eevee, but... that's just 2 Pokémon.

Vini310

Probably they want Pokemon main series games to be like Digimon World series where each installment has totally different mechanism.
That's exactly what they want, and it's ironic because even Bandai themselves realized that this does more harm than good, thus:
- Future Digimon World titles would use the gameplay from the first game, only improving on it.
- Digimon World 3 was used as base for the Digimon Story series.

At the end of the day, polish the gameplay is better than drastically changing it.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
Unpopular opinion: I dont like the concept of the Arceus games (from what we saw so far).
Why try to mimick Zelda Botw?
Pokemon had its own unique thing for 25+years and it was wonderful.
For me atleast

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
My thought exactly. Trainer customization could offer voice samples, and just have lines like "Go!", "I choose you!", "Come on!", "Return!", "That's enough.", "Great work!", "Attack!", "Watch out!" and so on. Hey, since your starter is your first Pokémon, there could be extra lines based on each one.
So basically the Pokémon Trainer in Smash?

Vini310

Unpopular opinion: I dont like the concept of the Arceus games (from what we saw so far).
Why try to mimick Zelda Botw?
Pokemon had its own unique thing for 25+years and it was wonderful.
For me atleast
It wasn't that unique: Megami Tensei and Robotrek were already Pokémon before Pokémon existed.

Vini310

Low scale voice-acting (during important cutscenes + giving some grunts to the Pokémon + Trainer voice acting via customization) could work, but something on a huge scale (Pokémon speaking their names, voice acting EVERYWHERE) would take too much time, and imagine how much worse it would be if you couldn't turn off the voice acting...

MrJechgo

Low scale voice-acting (during important cutscenes + giving some grunts to the Pokémon + Trainer voice acting via customization) could work, but something on a huge scale (Pokémon speaking their names, voice acting EVERYWHERE) would take too much time, and imagine how much worse it would be if you couldn't turn off the voice acting...
That... was my idea? Voiced cutscenes, small clips for the rest and... no voice acting on the Pokémon.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
The whole idea of portable monsters had been lifted from Ultra Seven.

For Pokémon, it is so obvious, the original name was going to be Capumon (Capsule Monsters) until they found out someone else beat them to it.