• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Unpopular Pokemon opinions V2 (READ FIRST POST)

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
It wasn't YGO. Don't remember for sure what it was, but it was definetely because another company was using the name already

MrJechgo

Several Fairy types introduced in Gen 6 feel... forgotten... I would have expected Aromatisse to evolved into a Fairy/Flying flamingo called Perfumingo, Klefki evolving into Kleflock, a sturdier Fairy/Steel, or the Florges line getting a Grass/Fairy regional form, or even an alternate evolution like Bellosom.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Several Fairy types introduced in Gen 6 feel... forgotten... I would have expected Aromatisse to evolved into a Fairy/Flying flamingo called Perfumingo, Klefki evolving into Kleflock, a sturdier Fairy/Steel, or the Florges line getting a Grass/Fairy regional form, or even an alternate evolution like Bellosom.
I don’t think Klefki was ever forgotten. It was either criticized for it being designed on a bunch of keys on a keyring or called annoying to battle because it had access to Prankster, a bunch of priority moves, and also Fairy Lock which would make switching out impossible that turn.

Luthor

I think part of the issue for some of the new fairies was that a lot of the fairy typed megas and the old pokemon whose type became fairy were either more powerful or easier to fully evolve (two of the Gen 6 fairy types Aromatisse & Slurpuff being trade with items were not exactly ideal).

Storm the Lycanroc

Oshawott Squad
After replaying Sword and Shield back to back I can say I don't like how random the Wild Areas are due to certain Pokemon only appearing during specific weather. It's frustrating if I want to catch a specific Pokemon but they are unavailable since the weather resets every day.

Also I don't like 4 or 5 star Raid Battles since it can take forever to whittle down an opponents health and break through it's shields. Plus the AI partners it randomly chooses for you are rarely helpful. I usually just walk up to the den to collect the watts and not participate in a battle.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Also I don't like 4 or 5 star Raid Battles since it can take forever to whittle down an opponents health and break through it's shields. Plus the AI partners it randomly chooses for you are rarely helpful. I usually just walk up to the den to collect the watts and not participate in a battle.
I usually do that too unless it is an Event Raid or a Pokémon that either is in a GMax form or can get one.

Luthor

I want them to add secondary abilities to Exeggutor in both of its forms. Exeggutor is a pokemon I have always liked but i've always felt with better ability options it could really be great.

Orphalesion

I wish Pokemon names were never localized, but instead stayed the same as in Japanese version.

Usually I'm the first person who speaks out against localization of names but... you want three legendary birds called "Fire" "Thunder" and "Freezer"?
And then several of the Eeveelotions: Booster, Thunders, Showers and Blacky

Last edited:

Psajdak

Usually I'm the first person who speaks out against localization of names but... you want three legendary birds called "Fire" "Thunder" and "Freezer"?
Yes, why not, although I am used to using dub names because most people use them.

I think it's just the matter of us fans outside of Japan getting used to them, that's all.

Fire, Thunder, and Freezer (although Ice would fit better in this context) actually sound like very simple, but direct, and powerful names for the Gen 1 Legendary Pokemon of those types.

They kinda remind of how in RPG games, many of the strongest weapons have rather simple, and classic names like Excalibur, or Ragnarok, but still powerful sounding, if that makes any sense.

Orphalesion

Yes, why not, although I am used to using dub names because most people use them.

I think it's just the matter of us fans outside of Japan getting used to them, that's all.

Fire, Thunder, and Freezer (although Ice would fit better in this context) actually sound like very simple, but direct, and powerful names for the Gen 1 Legendary Pokemon of those types.

They kinda remind of how in RPG games, many of the strongest weapons have rather simple, and classic names like Excalibur, or Ragnarok, but still powerful sounding, if that makes any sense.

Excalibur and Ragnarok are names from mythology. One is a legendary sword, the other is the name for the end of the world in the Edda.

A Freezer is the thing at the top (or bottom) of your fridge were you keep your ice cream.

Monox D. I-Fly

And then several of the Eeveelotions: Booster, Thunders, Showers and Blacky
The Japanese names sure sound lazy and uncreative. Also, it implies that Jolteon is a bunch of Zapdoses joined together. I can see Jolteon evolving to Zapdos, though, if both are Digimon.

Orphalesion

Lazy for those who speak English, sure, but for native Japanese speakers, "Fire," "Thunder," and "Freezer," sound absolutely amazing.

I mean, Raikou's name is literally just "lightning" in Japanese, but it sounds great. lol
Agreed, in many non-English languages English words are often considered "trendy" and "cool"
And to be fair, not all Japanese Pokemon names are just English words, a lot of them are puns or portmanteaus, which sound good or alright, but the meaning of which would have been lost to non-Japanese speakers.

But this is also why it was probably for the best that most of the Pokemon got their names localized.

Though a case could be made to leave the human and town names untranslated, Kasumi and Takeshi aren't difficult names or anything, and honestly, I didn't know any people named Misty or Brock as a child.
And a lot of little kids would probably have had an easier time pronouncing "Hanada City" rather than "Cerulean"

Last edited:

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Only english name I have trouble with are Sophocles and Chrysa.

For Pokémon, I'd rather they kept Harimaron and Hibunny for Chespin and Scorbunny.

But most of the time, I like the localized names more than the japanese names.