• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Unpopular Pokemon opinions V2 (READ FIRST POST)

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
There was no need to replace Misty and Brock.
I think Brock sort of did need to be replaced after Hoenn as he didn’t get too many moments of his own in Sinnoh and was mostly there because he could cook. With Misty, the replacement issue could have gone either way. She hardly caught anything past the Kant arc and in Johto she didn’t really get nearly as many battles or character growth as she did during the first two seasons.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Agreed, in many non-English languages English words are often considered "trendy" and "cool"
And to be fair, not all Japanese Pokemon names are just English words, a lot of them are puns or portmanteaus, which sound good or alright, but the meaning of which would have been lost to non-Japanese speakers.

But this is also why it was probably for the best that most of the Pokemon got their names localized.

Though a case could be made to leave the human and town names untranslated, Kasumi and Takeshi aren't difficult names or anything, and honestly, I didn't know any people named Misty or Brock as a child.
And a lot of little kids would probably have had an easier time pronouncing "Hanada City" rather than "Cerulean"

Honestly, (UNPOPULAR OPINION INCOMING) I think Pokémon's localization is one of the main things that make the franchise so special.

The versions find themselves differing quite a bit depending on the language, which offers a closer, more intimate connection to the games. Having the game in your language, with dialogue that you've grown up with makes it so much more personal, and many fans have already stated having a strong emotional connection to Pokémon.

I'm not Chinese, nor can I read or write the calligraphy, but I teared up when I saw Traditional and Simplified Chinese were being added to Pokémon games. It was a beautiful moment that meant millions of fans would get to experience the franchise in their own tongue, creating the personal and emotional experience for them so many others before them have had.

For me, Pokémon Etymology is a big part of my love for the series, and there are number of pokemon who I fell for (and disliked) immediately from their names alone. Cofagrigus and Dusknoir are just two of them. I don't know how much I'd like Cofagrigus if Desukarn remained its name in the US ports.

Orphalesion

Honestly, (UNPOPULAR OPINION INCOMING) I think Pokémon's localization is one of the main things that make the franchise so special.

The versions find themselves differing quite a bit depending on the language, which offers a closer, more intimate connection to the games. Having the game in your language, with dialogue that you've grown up with makes it so much more personal, and many fans have already stated having a strong emotional connection to Pokémon.

I'm not Chinese, nor can I read or write the calligraphy, but I teared up when I saw Traditional and Simplified Chinese were being added to Pokémon games. It was a beautiful moment that meant millions of fans would get to experience the franchise in their own tongue, creating the personal and emotional experience for them so many others before them have had.

For me, Pokémon Etymology is a big part of my love for the series, and there are number of pokemon who I fell for (and disliked) immediately from their names alone. Cofagrigus and Dusknoir are just two of them. I don't know how much I'd like Cofagrigus if Desukarn remained its name in the US ports.

Again I agree with the idea that the Pokemon names definitely should be localized. And I agree that it helped a lot with the appeal, especially considering that Pokemon is aimed at children and that a lot of the Pokemon names are descriptive of the creature. And translating the dialogue goes without question.

But I don't think the human and city names would have been as important to the localization, would you have liked Misty less if her name in English, and other languages, would have remained "Kasumi"?

Captain Jigglypuff

I don’t mind if character names are localized outside of Japan especially if the new name fits a specific theme. Brock was easy because his name rhymes with Rock, Misty is reminiscent of mist which is visible water vapor, Erika is a common western name (even if it is usually spelled with a “C”) and sounds calming, Sabrina sounds mysterious like the Psychic type, and Giovanni’s fist three letters sounds just like “geo” which means earth or ground and it sounds like a mafia boss’s name. There are a few random names such as Jasmine or Korrina which don’t seem to fit their respective type specialties but most of the time the names suits them in some way.

Italianbaptist

Informed Casual
Again I agree with the idea that the Pokemon names definitely should be localized. And I agree that it helped a lot with the appeal, especially considering that Pokemon is aimed at children and that a lot of the Pokemon names are descriptive of the creature. And translating the dialogue goes without question.

But I don't think the human and city names would have been as important to the localization, would you have liked Misty less if her name in English, and other languages, would have remained "Kasumi"?
Not sure if this applies here, but even with the Japanese names the pronunciation would have likely been different. I would have probably called her Ka-SOO-mi when iirc it should be KAH-su-mi, correct?

I do get where you're coming from, though. Looking back it would seem that they tried to erase the Japanese context from the series which would give them a reason to change people's and towns' names and that's a bit disappointing.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master

The gym leader names tend to have the same effect for me as pokemon names, the biggest example being Fantina.

Her name, along with her native language and implied country of origin, differs depending on the language the game is in. Simply calling her Melissa would've never worked in English. Fantina is one of my favorite gym leaders, and her being Kalosian/French is one of the reasons why. Localization made this possible, and I am forever grateful for it.

As for Misty, 'Kasumi' is indeed a wonderful name, but as a native English speaker it feels too majestic for the second gym leader. 'Misty' feels a lot more elementary. I'd go for Kasumi being the name of the 7th or 8th gym leader.

Last edited:

Orphalesion

Her name, along with her native language and implied country of origin, differs depending on the language the game is in. Simply calling her Melissa would've never worked in English. Fantina is one of my favorite gym leaders, and her being Kalosian/French is one the reasons why. Localization made this possible, and I am forever grateful for it.
I understand what you are saying, and see the merit in it.
Fantina isn't a French name, though, that would be "Fantine". Mélissa, however is a French name, and we already know that the script in Pokemon can display the acute accent, since it's in the word Pokémon

As for Misty, 'Kasumi' is indeed a wonderful name, but as a native English speaker it feels too majestic for the second gym leader. 'Misty' feels a lot more elementary. I'd go for Kasumi being the name of the 7th or 8th gym leader.
It's probably just what we are used to. In my first language the name the human characters in the games and Anime often almost always retained the names they had in the English translation, and "Misty" was just as unusual to me as "Kasumi" would have been. In addition to that a lot of anime I saw as a young child (Sailor Moon, for example) retained the Japanese names, so encountering characters named Takeshi (Brock) or Kasumi wouldn't have been that unprecedented to me.

Last edited:

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
I don’t mind if character names are localized outside of Japan especially if the new name fits a specific theme. Brock was easy because his name rhymes with Rock, Misty is reminiscent of mist which is visible water vapor, Erika is a common western name (even if it is usually spelled with a “C”) and sounds calming, Sabrina sounds mysterious like the Psychic type, and Giovanni’s fist three letters sounds just like “geo” which means earth or ground and it sounds like a mafia boss’s name. There are a few random names such as Jasmine or Korrina which don’t seem to fit their respective type specialties but most of the time the names suits them in some way.

Jasmine derives from 'mine,' from which metals are dug, and it may also reference 'jasper,' a beautiful red-ish gemstone often found intertwined with iron.

Korrina is phonetic with 'arena,' a battleground for hand-to-hand combat. Korrina may also derive from the Greek and French terms for statues of young maidens, 'corrina' and 'korê' respectively.

Orphalesion

Erika is a common western name (even if it is usually spelled with a “C”) and sounds calming
Erika/Erica is also a type of flower, more commonly known as a type of heather in English speaking countries.
(Of course Eirka is also her Japanese name)

I wonder if "Sabrina" got her name from the Archie comics character (Sabrina the Teenage Witch) due to Psychic being associated with magic in Gen 1 or maybe Brain -> Sabrina? idk

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
Jasmine derives from 'mine,' from which metals are dug, and it may also reference 'jasper,' a beautiful red-ish gemstone often found intertwined with iron.

Korrina is phonetic with 'arena,' a battleground for hand-to-hand combat. Korrina may also derive from the Greek and French terms for statues of young maidens, 'corrina' and 'korê' respectively.

thats very clever

Luthor

Speaking of names of things I've always found Meteor Assault sounds more like a rock type move and Star Assault (its name in Japanese) sounds more like a psychic or a Fairy move. Is that just me?

Captain Jigglypuff

Speaking of names of things I've always found Meteor Assault sounds more like a rock type move and Star Assault (its name in Japanese) sounds more like a psychic or a Fairy move. Is that just me?
No. I thought the same thing. Lance (or Leek) Thrust or Rush would have been a better name.

Psajdak

Excalibur and Ragnarok are names from mythology. One is a legendary sword, the other is the name for the end of the world in the Edda.

A Freezer is the thing at the top (or bottom) of your fridge were you keep your ice cream.
I guess I didn't express myself quite well...

Excalibur and Ragnarok are indeed two big things from legends, or mythology, but at the same time they are in a way quite, how do I say it, famous, often mentioned by the people, to the point where they are almost boring how much they are, well, just that.

But at the same time, they will always be some of the symbols of something, as I already said, big.

Fire too is a word that most of us use without much thinking (fire is fire), but when you think about it, it is the name of one of the most important (for humans) chemical processes in the world, not to mention its other roles related to light, warmth, religion, destruction, etc...

There are more than a few fire type Pokemon in Gen 1, and some of them have something fire related in their names, but only one deserves to have the same name as the element it belongs to.

Same for Thunder, and Freezer, the latter most like having that name because Freezer sounds like Furizaa in Japanese, and more similar to Sandaa (Thunder), and Faiyaa (Fire), unlike Aisu (Ice).
Freezer, I believe, isn't actually meant to be the freezer in the kitchen, but simply something which freezes things

Of course, that is only what I think...
For what is worth, in 90s, when Pokemon still weren't THAT popular, and there was 151 of them, it may very well be that authors were simply giving them names randomly.

The gym leader names tend to have the same effect for me as pokemon names, the biggest example being Fantina.

Her name, along with her native language and implied country of origin, differs depending on the language the game is in. Simply calling her Melissa would've never worked in English. Fantina is one of my favorite gym leaders, and her being Kalosian/French is one of the reasons why. Localization made this possible, and I am forever grateful for it.

Kasumi is one of the most common names in anime, often used by classic Japanese characters, such as kunoichi; other being Sakura (Daisy), Ayane, Ayame (Violet), Asuka, Homura, etc...

Human characters in original Japanese have, for most part, very common names.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Kasumi is one of the most common names in anime, often used by classic Japanese characters, such as kunoichi; other being Sakura (Daisy), Ayane, Ayame (Violet), Asuka, Homura, etc...

Human characters in original Japanese have, for most part, very common names.

I know Kasumi is a commonly used name; I'm just stating my reception of the name as a native English speaker.

For someone like me, the name isn't as common, and thus would have a different feel.

Codebox

The Johto saga is define ONLY by filler, while its improvements over the first two seasons are so apparent in every other department. And other factors it gets outed for (Team Rocket problem, sidelined Misty/Brock) were far worse issues in future seasons. (The team rocket trio were at their worst in Sinnoh with their far more problematic issues amped, and Brock was even more sidelined.) Not to mention DP has just as much problematic filler as Johto, but gets less ire for it, despite (to me anyway) have even worse filler episodes (to the point where most filler blantantly copies episodes from previous seasons)

Misty did more in Johto than Kanto/OI. Never understood this, while the focus was less on her she had more battles and way better team than any of the previous two seasons. (Poliwhirl and Corsola were literal apologies for how bad Starmie and Horsea were) I completely disagree she was worse aside from having less focus.

People still like to say Misty is the "only ones fan like" yet this opinion seems to stem from the salty fans who use to complain about her departure. Name a single Poketuber or fan nowadays that's as vocal about Misty's character? Even her SM return was mixed with fans. Most of what you can say about this basically applies to Serena, who fans still pin over to return, moreso than any other Pokegirl. I also think her "abuse" toward Ash is overcritcized, as its not abuse at all.

Its annoying when fans still assume "Genwunner" card simply from having Kanto by proxy. The term has been buzzworded so much that its just a term thrown around. And most fans would unanimously agree that Gen 1 is the most technical broken games in the series.

janejane6178

I think Lillie is a boring character. a good design with a wasted potential. Also, her face looked weird with that artstyle - the eys felt too close to each other weird

Orphalesion

Honestly Misty was for a long time my favourite character as a child. I found her genuinely funny and her berating and beating up of Ash was, in my opinion deserved, since he was a freaking idiot.

janejane6178

i liked TR more than Ash in the OS (and now too...) and I remember always wanting to meet them

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Honestly Misty was for a long time my favourite character as a child. I found her genuinely funny and her berating and beating up of Ash was, in my opinion deserved, since he was a freaking idiot.
How is Ash being an idiot make him deserving of abuse? That's like saying it's okay to bully Lillie because she's bad at sports. And for what it's worth, at least Ash improved as a trainer overtime. Misty never even managed to teach her Psyduck how to swim.