• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Unpopular Pokemon opinions V2 (READ FIRST POST)

Orphalesion

How is Ash being an idiot make him deserving of abuse?

First of all it's an anime, an old comedy-leaning anime at that if we talk about Kanto, so the same rules for the protection of real people do not apply for its characters (Ash could be burned to a crisp by his Charizard, thrown through the air by Misty and all sorts of other things and in the next second he's alright)
Ash is the classical idiot hero of older animes like that, and most of the trouble he gets in is caused by himself because he's either too stupid to live or he keeps insulting people (like Erica). And thise kind of characters get pain inflicted upon themselves in shows like that.
Both Ash cluelessness and Misty's "abuse" (honestly it's really cheapening the word and the real world problem to apply it to a comedy anime like the Kanto Saga. Might as well call out Jerry for "abusing" Tom. ) are over-the-top in such a way that it bears little resemblance to real life situation. And Misty was often enough shown to be a friend to Ash when he wasn't acting too stupid to live.
And since I found Ash a rather grating character I enjoyed him getting his comeuppance from Misty.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
To me, Arceus will forever be... ARSEUS.
Sorry, but this pronunciation is too perfect.
Same here.

Good thing that's how the japanese are spelling its name lol

Codebox

Honestly Misty was for a long time my favourite character as a child. I found her genuinely funny and her berating and beating up of Ash was, in my opinion deserved, since he was a freaking idiot.
Honestly this is grossly overcriticized by people. Because Ash isn't really phased by the slapstick it doesn't make her hitting him abusive. Ash was even able to get insults in there. Plus it isn't like Ash did something to deserve it, in some cases he would say something that warranted Misty's aggression.

Codebox

First of all it's an anime, an old comedy-leaning anime at that if we talk about Kanto, so the same rules for the protection of real people do not apply for its characters (Ash could be burned to a crisp by his Charizard, thrown through the air by Misty and all sorts of other things and in the next second he's alright)
Ash is the classical idiot hero of older animes like that, and most of the trouble he gets in is caused by himself because he's either too stupid to live or he keeps insulting people (like Erica). And thise kind of characters get pain inflicted upon themselves in shows like that.
Both Ash cluelessness and Misty's "abuse" (honestly it's really cheapening the word and the real world problem to apply it to a comedy anime like the Kanto Saga. Might as well call out Jerry for "abusing" Tom. ) are over-the-top in such a way that it bears little resemblance to real life situation. And Misty was often enough shown to be a friend to Ash when he wasn't acting too stupid to live.
And since I found Ash a rather grating character I enjoyed him getting his comeuppance from Misty.
Its not considered abuse because Ash isn't affected by the slapstick he receives. (By this I mean he doesn't take her insults or physical brand of slapstick to heart, he's not upset or feels abuse) In actual abuse scenarios the receiver is clearly affected/hurt by the actions of their abuser, Ash doesn't take offense to anything Misty said/did nor was he ever not in an unfair power dynamic. (Ash would have to fear Misty or take her insults/slapstick as a means of direct issue) In fact Ash himself would even have moments where he would throw insults or argue back at Misty, thus giving them an even playing field. Its also not like Ash didn't deserve a lot of the slapstick either, as he would often say insensitive, stupid or insult Misty, which would prompt her temper against him. Compare Misty's insults to Ash and her insults toward Psyduck Pre Hoenn and you'll see the difference.

Idk why people get this idea or have to be SJW on something like slapstick, because they like to insert "gender equations" into the argument. Its not like they are portraying an abuse scenario, its literal slapstick. Characters in anime/shows get comedically hurt all the time. So by this logic would Tom and Jerry be considered a show about "animal abuse" because it features an animal duo who's purpose is to literally slapstick each other?

If people want to go farther, anytime they've used Pokemon to assault or attack Team Rocket could be considered "abuse" considering it often involves Electrocuting or physically hurting TR to the point where it does affect them, at least depending on the writer. And being bad guys doesn't excuse it, because that's like if police officer physically assaulted a man by beating him for stealing. I don't take this personally btw, I'm just using it as an example.

Last edited:

Storm the Lycanroc

Oshawott Squad
I personally believe Generation 8 as a whole wont be as fondly remembered as other generations. I say this because there's nothing outsanding about Sword & Shield. The story, characters, and region are boring and forgettable. It's a single game that's part of a larger franchise.

Additionally I've given up on watching Journey's since there's no real adventure. It's one-shot episodic stories are forgettable and isnt taking advantage of the region hopping as it could be. Plus I hate how Goh is literally a walking embodiment of Pokemon Go. Plus this series is lacking one thing past series had... the characters interacting with their Pokemon outside of battle. Anyone who's not Pikachu, Lucario, or Cinderace is completely forgotten. Honestly I would've preferred a series set exclusively in Galar.

Last edited:

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
I'm not entirely sure how unpopular this opinion is, but as much as I support Game Freak, I do think it would be better suited if Bandai Namco took over programming for the main series games.

mew 2000

Shiny Celebi
After black and white no new remakes are necessary Not that that won't happen but thst they won't be needed. The only thing black and white is missing is fairy types and a better less pixilated overworld. After that xy's only real needed upgrade is something for Zygarde to do. Sun and moon are already really good as complete games but USUM then does it even better. The only thing a swsh remake could offer would be to make the textures better.

Orphalesion

After black and white no new remakes are necessary Not that that won't happen but thst they won't be needed. The only thing black and white is missing is fairy types and a better less pixilated overworld. After that xy's only real needed upgrade is something for Zygarde to do. Sun and moon are already really good as complete games but USUM then does it even better. The only thing a swsh remake could offer would be to make the textures better.

Aren't remakes also about hardware? A decade from now, not everybody will have an old 3DS lying around to play X/Y (or where they should get the cartridge?)
Or are you advocating virtual console releases, like they did with RBY? Or that they should just re-release the old games for newer systems?

Last edited:

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
BW also needs updated 3D graphics to fully appreciate the seasonal changes and scenic areas such as Castelia City with all of its buildings and Plasma Castle. Also a theoretical image in the form of a statue would be neat to see and give the PWT a much better chance to shine with DLC for it as it hardly got anything special during the one year it had content that could be downloaded which is a huge waste as that was one of its main points of interest.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
I want Kalos remakes just so Chesnaught and Delphox can get megas.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
BW also needs updated 3D graphics to fully appreciate the seasonal changes and scenic areas such as Castelia City with all of its buildings and Plasma Castle. Also a theoretical image in the form of a statue would be neat to see and give the PWT a much better chance to shine with DLC for it as it hardly got anything special during the one year it had content that could be downloaded which is a huge waste as that was one of its main points of interest.
After what they did to dp I dont want them to remake bw

mew 2000

Shiny Celebi
Aren't remakes also about hardware? A decade from now, not everybody will have an old 3DS lying around to play X/Y (or where they should get the cartridge?)
Or are you advocating virtual console releases, like they did with RBY? Or that they should just re-release the old games for newer systems?
Ports. Remakes take up too much time and resources when they do fully remake them, and when they don't you get people who are pissed the game is either too different or not different enough.
Thing is if black and white get remade black 2/white 2 content will get the shaft. At best it will be hindsight foreshadowed like johto was in LGPE. Also as we can see the remakes won't always be remade in stunning 3d. What you think will be an awesome 3d world might just be a 2.5D world. Nothing wrong with it I actually like the direction for BDSP because so many areas would suffer in 3d because of their unique puzzles and rock climb mechanics. Its likely the pwt is only alluded to. Something like clay saying hes got big plans for the cold storage. I would like a less pixilated unova though.
I want Kalos remakes just so Chesnaught and Delphox can get megas.
I can see this happening if xy does get remade, but I would like them to get battle bond forms to even out with greninja. Nothing says they can't just do this without remakes though. Greninja got his new form in gen 7.

Akashin

Ports. Remakes take up too much time and resources when they do fully remake them, and when they don't you get people who are pissed the game is either too different or not different enough.
I mean, if, "But some people won't be happy with it," is the metric we're using to determine the worth of making a game, we might as well hang it up and call it a day on the franchise as a whole. That you can't please everybody is a simple reality of life, to say nothing of the Pokemon franchise alone.

With that said, I do agree with your overall point that we are reaching a point where giving a Generation of games a facelift via remakes is ceasing to be a reason to do it. That's not the only reason (and it's the one I care least about, but I can only speak for myself), though, but I wouldn't say BW remakes don't need to happen on the sole basis that the games look okay as-is.

I also wouldn't say that they 'need' them or that we should be in any rush to get them either, though. Personally, assuming Legends: Arceus goes well, I'd be equally happy with BW remakes or a Legends game touching on the Original Dragon.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
I can see this happening if xy does get remade, but I would like them to get battle bond forms to even out with greninja. Nothing says they can't just do this without remakes though. Greninja got his new form in gen 7.
I wouldn't doubt they'd go with Battle Bonds instead since they have Ash-Greninja ready to be used but megas would work better. They take an item slot but at least don't require you fainting a pokémon first.

By the way, I think remakes are the best place for those things since it'll happen around the time they'll need to be in spotlight again. Offering something new to them would be a good thing to attract more people.

KyogreThunder

Call of Fate
I still firmly believe that making Eevee require Ice/Leaf Stone to evolve into Glaceon/Leafeon and Magneton and Charjabug evolve via Thunderstone in Generation VIII wasn't necessary. Yes, I do understand that in some games, these special locations appear a bit too late in the game, but they should just have them appear sooner. The Game Freak should have created more location-based evolutions, instead of retconning them. Yet they still haven't retconned trade-based evolutions, despite them being a lot more frustrating.

Luthor

I still firmly believe that making Eevee require Ice/Leaf Stone to evolve into Glaceon/Leafeon and Magneton and Charjabug evolve via Thunderstone in Generation VIII wasn't necessary. Yes, I do understand that in some games, these special locations appear a bit too late in the game, but they should just have them appear sooner. The Game Freak should have created more location-based evolutions, instead of retconning them. Yet they still haven't retconned trade-based evolutions, despite them being a lot more frustrating.

Yeah I do agree. I quite liked them but I will admit the lateness in certain regions (or completely missing from others) was an issue though I do think there were other ways around it to make it earlier. Still I suspect it was more so they didn't have to program them into every region