• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Unpopular Pokemon opinions V2 (READ FIRST POST)

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
Yeah I do agree. I quite liked them but I will admit the lateness in certain regions (or completely missing from others) was an issue though I do think there were other ways around it to make it earlier. Still I suspect it was more so they didn't have to program them into every region
Glaceon could be really annoying to get via Evolution in a few games with Gen V where it is incredibly tedious to get to the floor where the Ice Rock is located and ORAS where it gets blocked from for hours due to the tide and if you mainly play at night, you’re not going to get Glaceon without messing with the clock on your 3DS which in turn can mess up some other games such as Animal Crossing New Leaf or Tomodachi Life.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
Glaceon could be really annoying to get via Evolution in a few games with Gen V where it is incredibly tedious to get to the floor where the Ice Rock is located and ORAS where it gets blocked from for hours due to the tide and if you mainly play at night, you’re not going to get Glaceon without messing with the clock on your 3DS which in turn can mess up some other games such as Animal Crossing New Leaf or Tomodachi Life.
But it feels more rewarding and unique that way.
Its like swsh made routes more narrow and short when in older games it was more exploratory

Luthor

Agreed. Even in Sun and Moon its too late in the games. I do think there were ways to have it available earlier on the games. I like the concept behind evolving in specific locations but I do admit in many games they could have been much better placed (Especially the ice rock seemed to be problematic)

NeedsAName

Agreed. Even in Sun and Moon its too late in the games. I do think there were ways to have it available earlier on the games. I like the concept behind evolving in specific locations but I do admit in many games they could have been much better placed (Especially the ice rock seemed to be problematic)
Þe only region where þe Ice Rock is found earlier þan þe Moss Rock is Kalos, where you can't get Glaceon until Frost Cavern (a bit after þe 6þ gym town) and Leafeon until Route 20, after the 8þ gym town!

Captain Jigglypuff

Þe only region where þe Ice Rock is found earlier þan þe Moss Rock is Kalos, where you can't get Glaceon until Frost Cavern (a bit after þe 6þ gym town) and Leafeon until Route 20, after the 8þ gym town!
There’s also BW2 where Twist Mountain is accessible during the main story but Pinwheel Forest was post game.

Orphalesion

Honestly Leafeon and Glaceon should always have evolved through the Leaf and Ice Stone (they could have introduced the Ice Stone in Gen IV).
That Frozen and Moss covered rock always seemed incredibly silly to me.

The only type of game where the location-based evolutions would be alright (imho) would be a true open world game where you can reach the Frozen Rock/Moss Rock and Magnetic Field thing for Vikavolt as soon as you get those Pokemon. Locking the locations behind a linear progress through the region is just bad. Like in S/M where you had to schlep a freaking Charjarbug around for good chunk of the game before you reached that magnetic field that oculd transform it into Vikavolt.

Captain Jigglypuff

Honestly Leafeon and Glaceon should always have evolved through the Leaf and Ice Stone (they could have introduced the Ice Stone in Gen IV).

The only type of game where the location-based evolutions would be alright (imho) would be a true open world game where you can reach the Frozen Rock/Moss Rock and Magnetic Field thing for Vikavolt as soon as you get those Pokemon. Locking the locations behind a linear progress through the region is just bad. Like in S/M where you had to schlep a freaking Charjarbug around for good chunk of the game before you reached that magnetic field that oculd transform it into Vikavolt.
And it was always weird that the power plant on Blush Mountain didn’t have enough electricity to create a magnetic zone.

Luthor

I find it ironic that the removed it in Gen 8 which was the region they could easily have had it work. The wild area is so large you could easily have a Moss Rock an Ice Rock and a Magnetic area without any major problems

And it was always weird that the power plant on Blush Mountain didn’t have enough electricity to create a magnetic zone.

That's where I thought the magnetic area was initially was in Sun and moon. If I remember correctly I think they fixed that in ultra sun and Ultra moon so it did work that way.

Luthor

I still don’t understand what made Poni Canyon more special in terms of magnetic energy.

Not sure tbh My guess is that it was originally supposed to be Blush mountain but they made some sort of error and just decided to keep with it until the next games. Hence why they fixed it in the Ultra games.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Since everyone else is talking smack about them, I actually like trade-evolutions.

Some of my favorite Pokemon come from them.

Down$hift

A visiting Smogon player :)
Unpopular opinion?

Vanilluxe actually had a good design and ppl criticizing Gen 5 saying it's "just ice cream" don't notice more of the finer details of the model/sprite. Both ice cream cones have visibly different personalities: the one on the right looks like it has a happy-go-lucky nature, while the one on the left looks more carefree. I also thought the straw coming out of the one on the right was a nice touch, and in Sword and Shield the ice on Vanilluxe looks exceptionally good, thanks to the Switch's much greater processing power as opposed to the 3DS. Overall I think that Vanilluxe gets much more hate than it deserves.

Captain Jigglypuff

Unpopular opinion?

Vanilluxe actually had a good design and ppl criticizing Gen 5 saying it's "just ice cream" don't notice more of the finer details of the model/sprite. Both ice cream cones have visibly different personalities: the one on the right looks like it has a happy-go-lucky nature, while the one on the left looks more carefree. I also thought the straw coming out of the one on the right was a nice touch, and in Sword and Shield the ice on Vanilluxe looks exceptionally good, thanks to the Switch's much greater processing power as opposed to the 3DS. Overall I think that Vanilluxe gets much more hate than it deserves.
I have always enjoyed the Vanillite line and love it even more since my first X play through where I found a Shiny literally in the middle of a hoarde attack. I was shocked by the sheer luck as I was hoping just to get a regular Vanillite and so I carefully took out the other four and caught the Shiny and named it Grape Ice.

Luthor

Unpopular opinion?

I have no issue with the design. I just think the movepool is lacking. It's one of the pokemon I just think could do with a serious movepool boost. I was glad when it got Snow warning in gen 7 as it really helped and with a few more good moves it could be loads of fun.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
Unpopular opinion:
I think that the dynamic of Cilan, Ash and Iris was nice and they had chimestry. Their departure episode was underwhelming tho

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
I agree. I never had a problem with them as a trio.

Actually, I've found them way better than the Ash, brock and misty. At least, Cilan and Iris had an actual dynamic that was interesting and way more than an unfunny gag.