• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Unpopular Pokemon opinions V2 (READ FIRST POST)

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
If they are going to nerf the moves that much I'd rather they leave them exclusive to Partner Eevee and create brand new moves for the evolved Eeveelutions. Most of them have a decent enough STAB move (only exception is possibly Flareon and that's mostly just due to the recoil of flare blitz combined). There's other moves I'd give them but they don't need to be that powerful more like giving Glaceon Brine or Muddy water would mean losing water pulse would be fine as they still had a viable water option.
I agree. The Partner exclusive moves are far too gimmicky to be used outside of the Let’s Go games and to other Pokémon. Not to mention that they had some pretty Terrible names with Sizzly Slide, Zippy Zap, Pika Papow, Bouncy Bubble, And Baddy Bad being the worst named.

Yveltal91057

It’s Kalos season!
Jynx gets a lot of unjust hate. She is a wonderful pokemon.
Meh. There’s better Ice types out there without a bunch of controversy revolving around them (Galarian Darmanitan, Alolan Vulpix/Ninetales, Froslass, Walrein, Frost Rotom, Arctozolt, Black/White Kyurem, Mamoswine, Abomasnow, Lapras, Weavile, Glaceon)

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Meh. There’s better Ice types out there without a bunch of controversy revolving around them (Galarian Darmanitan, Alolan Vulpix/Ninetales, Froslass, Walrein, Frost Rotom, Arctozolt, Black/White Kyurem, Mamoswine, Abomasnow, Lapras, Weavile, Glaceon)

Jynx never deserved that controversy. I can't even think of a single black person - myself included - who was actually offended by Jynx.

I think had people actually took the time to learn about her and her origins, instead of judging Jynx for her appearance like they ironically judge black people in real life, she would have become a much more beloved pokemon, especially given her many appearances in the anime (that are now lost to history).

Teravolt

cilan lives forever in my heart
I agree. The Partner exclusive moves are far too gimmicky to be used outside of the Let’s Go games and to other Pokémon. Not to mention that they had some pretty Terrible names with Sizzly Slide, Zippy Zap, Pika Papow, Bouncy Bubble, And Baddy Bad being the worst named.
T-those are actually move names?
*shudders*
Sounds like a three-year old made them up.

Xionea

Half a centaur
I think the move names are kinda cute, not gonna lie. I would also LOVE to hear a commentator yell out "Pika Papow" in the grand finals of a big tournament. But considering how we're in an era where the modern Pokemon games can prevent specific moves from being used in the games, I sadly don't think we'll see them ever being used outside of the Let's Go series.

Captain Jigglypuff

I think the move names are kinda cute, not gonna lie. I would also LOVE to hear a commentator yell out "Pika Papow" in the grand finals of a big tournament. But considering how we're in an era where the modern Pokemon games can prevent specific moves from being used in the games, I sadly don't think we'll see them ever being used outside of the Let's Go series.
Some are a bit cute but they are still terrible names. Zippy Zap sounds a bit too close to Zing Zap and Sizzly Slide is awkward to say. And who thought Baddy Bad would be such a wonderful name for a move?! It sounds like a three year old trying to describe what a villain is. “That’s a baddy bad guy.”

Italianbaptist

Informed Casual
I had the idea of a move tutor specifically for the Eevee moves as an alternate way to evolve it in future games. Mainly because Baddy Bad would actually work pretty well with Umbreon’s kit methinks.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
I dont like designs that r too straight forward. Like the one of Lanna. Ok I understand that u like water. That means that allll of u should be blue? Hair, eyes? Clothes? Abit of originality is needed

Luthor

I've always found Glacia's initial teams to be really underwhelming. I know there was issues with the original Hoenn dex not having many ice types but a team of two Glalie, two Sealeo and a Walrein in gen 3 and a team of two Glalie, two Froslass and a Walrein in gen 6. I can acknowledge gen 6 was better but for an elite 4 member it still seems a bit lacking. The funny thing was there was other ice options such a castform (given how often hail would be active it would often be an ice typed), Kecleon (who can be an ice type especially in gen 6 it could get its hidden ability which could make sure its an ice type at least some of the time) or just any non ice type pokemon that knows an ice typed move (which there are a lot of options). At least with someone with a similar issue like Flint had a team which felt a bit more creative to get around the problem in Diamond and Pearl.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Jynx never deserved that controversy. I can't even think of a single black person - myself included - who was actually offended by Jynx.
I feel that this is a rather narrow way of looking at things: just because people within your social circle weren't offended by Rougela (Jynx) doesn't negate the possibility that others among the millions of African Americans and people of African descent in general might've been. And clearly at least one person [Carole Boston Weatherford] was, and while she's not the authority on African Americans, I feel that her opinion on the matter at least had some merit and was worth considering.

Luthor

I mean, Glacia herself is a pretty underwhelming character, no?

She's the only member of the Hoenn Elite Four I tend to forget exists.

Probably fair though I do think if she had a more exciting team in initial battles that would make her more memorable. I remember Lorelei way more than Glacia because she's the ice type trainer with a Slowbro and that sticks in the mind much more than repeated Pokemon.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
I feel that this is a rather narrow way of looking at things: just because people within your social circle weren't offended by Rougela (Jynx) doesn't negate the possibility that others among the millions of African Americans and people of African descent in general might've been. And clearly at least one person [Carole Boston Weatherford] was, and while she's not the authority on African Americans, I feel that her opinion on the matter at least had some merit and was worth considering.

It's not a narrow view, but an informed one, and I am the only black Pokémon fan in any of my social circles, so it has nothing to do with who I know, but what I've looked into.

Weatherford's criticism was flawed, to say the least, not to mention offensive in its own rite. She compared Jynx to Little Black Sambo, despite the two characters having only one seemingly similar trait: black skin. Originally, Jynx didn't have any facial skin at all, the blackness actually being a dark veil of shadow. Her hands were even designed to look as though she was wearing gloves. It wasn't until the color was changed to purple that the character was displayed as having fully physical skin, and this is primarily in the anime, for in the games she still maintains her veil of shadow, especially underneath her dress, where her feet would be. Furthermore, Jynx's lips do not at all resemble the shape and absurdity of the blackface depictions in minstrel shows. Her lips were and are specifically designed to look like she is always puckering for a kiss. Blackface-style lips are entirely round with no definition whatsoever.

Finally, Weatherford mockingly compared Jynx to an "obese drag queen" in an article she wrote for The Christian Science Monitor, a newspaper that while not actually a display of religious doctrine, still hasn't had the best track record with advocating for the queer community, given its frequent publication of articles that all but conspicuously suggest the existence of a "gay agenda." This was even more prevalent in 2000, the year Weatherford wrote the article.

Weatherford not only took a narrow view of her own to shun a fictional character whose alleged crime wasn't anywhere near as close as the original incarnation of DBZ's Mr. Popo, but she shunned an entire other marginalized group in the process. While she has since become a better ally for the queer community, I do not trust any words she made on Jynx during that time, for not a single one was well founded.

So yes, I stand with my unpopular opinion that Jynx was and continues to be unfairly treated.

Last edited:

Captain Jigglypuff

Finally, Weatherford mockingly compared to Jynx to an "obese drag queen" in an article she wrote for The Christian Science Monitor, a newspaper that while not actually a display of religious doctrine, still hasn't had the best track record with advocating for the queer community, given its frequent publication of articles that all but conspicuously suggest the existence of a "gay agenda." This was even more prevalent in 2000, the year Weatherford wrote the article.
I find that to be the most ridiculous claim about Jynx being offensive. I don’t think I’ve ever seen any drag queens blow out freezing cold air to create a blizzard or use psychic powers to levitate things before. Or throw a punch surrounded by ice.

RedBlastoise

Cerulean Blues
I've always found Glacia's initial teams to be really underwhelming. I know there was issues with the original Hoenn dex not having many ice types but a team of two Glalie, two Sealeo and a Walrein in gen 3 and a team of two Glalie, two Froslass and a Walrein in gen 6. I can acknowledge gen 6 was better but for an elite 4 member it still seems a bit lacking. The funny thing was there was other ice options such a castform (given how often hail would be active it would often be an ice typed), Kecleon (who can be an ice type especially in gen 6 it could get its hidden ability which could make sure its an ice type at least some of the time) or just any non ice type pokemon that knows an ice typed move (which there are a lot of options). At least with someone with a similar issue like Flint had a team which felt a bit more creative to get around the problem in Diamond and Pearl
I never liked any of the Hoenn E4 members that much but yes Glacia was the most boring one. I thought her team was okay but they made her design not as interesting as Sidney or Phoebe's. Even Drake looked better with his captain theme but Glacia was just a woman in a dress who used Ice types. :(

Captain Jigglypuff

I only found Glacia’s design to be the most interesting thing about her. Everything else was meh.

Teravolt

cilan lives forever in my heart
I absolutely hate Incineroar and like Simisear and love Simipour. I'm weird.
Hey, I hate Incineroar and like Simipour, too. I don’t like Simisear, though.

Storm the Lycanroc

Oshawott Squad
I hate how big the regional Pokedex's have become since XY started the trend of having over 400+ Pokemon. In XY, SM, and SWSH with over 400+ Pokemon to choose from I feel overwhelmed can't decided which Pokemon I want to use throughout the whole playthrough.

Personally I prefer the regions with the smaller Pokedex of around 200 to 300.