• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Unpopular Pokemon opinions V2 (READ FIRST POST)

Leonhart

Imagineer
I honestly don't know why being Dark-type Gym Leader is so important. They typically appear in the Pokémon League as Elite Four members. Isn't that even more prestigious?
I simply didn't understand why Game Freak was apparently oblivious to the fact that there was never a Dark-type Gym or Gym Leader prior to Gen VIII. At first it could simply be considered a coincidence in the earlier generations, but eventually it seemed as if Game Freak had something against the idea. It was especially irritating that we had things like three Ice-type Gyms in a row at one point (D/P/Pt > HG/SS > B/W] but still no Dark-type Gym back then.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
I simply didn't understand why Game Freak was apparently oblivious to the fact that there was never a Dark-type Gym or Gym Leader prior to Gen VIII. At first it could simply be considered a coincidence in the earlier generations, but eventually it seemed as if Game Freak had something against the idea. It was especially irritating that we had things like three Ice-type Gyms in a row at one point (D/P/Pt > HG/SS > B/W] but still no Dark-type Gym back then.
Even 4 in a row, cuz the perfect XY had one too hehe (if we are talking regions wise and not games wise)

pacman000

On a quest to be the best...
Never really thought we actually needed any implications that there are parallel universes(barring Distortion World).
Kept them from having to retcon stuff, which is nice.

PCN24454

HGSS really shouldn't count since it's a remake, and it's obvious why it's not in BW: they wanted to make an Elite Four member instead.

Italianbaptist

Informed Casual
Legendaries as a whole have contributed negatively to the series more than positively. There are certainly some I like, but the games’ plots revolving around them ever since Gen 3 is getting stale (and Gen 4’s legendaries being actual PokéGods is a little uncomfortable for me). Also, it breaks the immersion for me to see them on everyone’s competitive team; I’d actually prefer all of them, even the lesser ones, to be banned so we can focus more on the com mons.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Legendaries as a whole have contributed negatively to the series more than positively. There are certainly some I like, but the games’ plots revolving around them ever since Gen 3 is getting stale (and Gen 4’s legendaries being actual PokéGods is a little uncomfortable for me). Also, it breaks the immersion for me to see them on everyone’s competitive team; I’d actually prefer all of them, even the lesser ones, to be banned so we can focus more on the com mons.
This has been a popular opinion since Gen 4/5 with the increasing number of Legendaries for those generations. Legendaries like Landorus being very prominent in the meta and every plot from Gen 3 onwards featuring the obligatory legend are common criticisms as well.

PCN24454

Stuff like Legendaries and Divine entities are always things that I look forward to in media, and I’m honestly kinda sad that Japanese media is the only one not afraid to delve into it.

MrJechgo

Something I'd love to see is Legendaries and Mythicals being treated as proper NPCs, like how Calyrex is.

Zacian and Zamazenta only appear once early in the game, with no other appearance until the showdown with Eternatus.

NeedsAName

Something I'd love to see is Legendaries and Mythicals being treated as proper NPCs, like how Calyrex is.

Zacian and Zamazenta only appear once early in the game, with no other appearance until the showdown with Eternatus.
I would certainly like to see more buildup to legendaries, even with minor things like maybe a cutscene suddenly cutting to a color-tinted perspective from some high-up ledge where the protagonist then notices some rocks fall from.

PCN24454

This is probably going to be my most flame-inducing post yet.

I think that the Sinnoh Leagues and the Kalos Leagues in the anime are massively overrated. It feels like they miss the point of a Tournament arc.

We didn't need an official Tournament to resolve Ash and Paul's rivalry. They proved that by hosting a Full Battle outside of the League. Same with Alain.

There were like no new characters in those Tournaments which is one of the main benefits of having a Tournament arc.

The battles went on for too long as well.

There was just too much and too little at the same time.

janejane6178

Serena was the person with the most depth in the anime imo.
The people who said she was just about loving Ash didnt understand her character growth at all.
Thats my opinion.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
I don't know how unpopular it is, but since I don't hear anybody speak of it, I suppose it counts:

I miss the run-down industrial look of Orre. I hope we get more places in upcoming Pokémon games with a rusty, used look to them.

I'm surprised TPC hasn't reached out to IDW to license a comic series. Considering Pokemon already makes a lot of money, a long-running comic series seems like a no-brainer.
Probably because Shueisha already has the Pokémon comics rights.

(Also probably because The Pokémon Company doesn't hand out rights very easily.)

janejane6178

I'm surprised TPC hasn't reached out to IDW to license a comic series. Considering Pokemon already makes a lot of money, a long-running comic series seems like a no-brainer.
Please no

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Orre's one of those regions I like, but I wouldn't want in a main series.