• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Unpopular Pokemon opinions V2 (READ FIRST POST)

Trillion

i say this as someone who started with gen 3. gen 3 had the worst sprites besides red, blue, and green. i feel like those shouldn't even count though

even yellow was better

i can't really explain it but some pokemon just look off. salamence, nosepass, geodude, and regirock come to mind

don't even get me started on the pokemon in rse that aren't native to hoenn

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
i say this as someone who started with gen 3. gen 3 had the worst sprites besides red, blue, and green. i feel like those shouldn't even count though

even yellow was better

i can't really explain it but some pokemon just look off. salamence, nosepass, geodude, and regirock come to mind

don't even get me started on the pokemon in rse that aren't native to hoenn
I thought Gen 3 had some decent sprites. Not perfect and amazing but also not Japanese Red and Green bad either.

Vini310

Game Freak should remove battle facilities, BUT pick the difficulty associated with said battle facilities and apply them to the whole story (a la Pokémon Clover).
I know that discussion about fangames is'nt allowed, but Pokémon Clover is what a difficult Pokémon game should be. Anyone interested in a challenging experience should play Pokémon Clover, seriously.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
There is no such thing as a 3D sprite, just 3D models. (There can be sprites in a 3D space however, like what's done with PaRappa the Rapper and the Paper Mario games.

Teravolt

cilan lives forever in my heart

Vini310

Yes, it's the 4chan fangame.
I keep mentioning it because, to me, Pokémon Clover is the perfect example on how to do a difficult Pokémon game well, but to keep it short:
Even when the Exp. Share is activated, the game's difficulty don't gets trivialized, all because of a level cap system that drastically reduces the Pokémon's experience gain after it reaches a certain level if you don't have the right badge, meaning that getting overleveled is possible, but extremely difficult.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
Yes, it's the 4chan fangame.
I keep mentioning it because, to me, Pokémon Clover is the perfect example on how to do a difficult Pokémon game well, but to keep it short:
Even when the Exp. Share is activated, the game's difficulty don't gets trivialized, all because of a level cap system that drastically reduces the Pokémon's experience gain after it reaches a certain level if you don't have the right badge, meaning that getting overleveled is possible, but extremely difficult.
You're conflating grinding (or time-consuming mechanics) with difficulty. Using this logic we can deduce that a janitor sweeping floors for 8 hours is doing something more difficult than an aerospace engineer building a rocket for 6 hours. What you've described is a novel way to discourage overleveling, but introducing more grinding doesn't actually increase difficulty in a meaningful way. You still can overlevel, doing so just takes more time now. Time and difficulty are not the same thing.

Vini310

You're conflating grinding (or time-consuming mechanics) with difficulty. Using this logic we can deduce that a janitor sweeping floors for 8 hours is doing something more difficult than an aerospace engineer building a rocket for 6 hours. What you've described is a novel way to discourage overleveling, but introducing more grinding doesn't actually increase difficulty in a meaningful way. You still can overlevel, doing so just takes more time now. Time and difficulty are not the same thing.
It goes beyond the level cap, I focused on that because the main subject was the Exp. Share. As for the full version:
Pokémon Clover is harder because most Trainers, especially bosses like Gym Leaders and Rivals, use more well thought out, competitive-level teams, filled with coverage moves and an AI prone to switching Pokémon when the player is using one that ha a type advantage.
The entire point of the game is to use your entire team to their maximum extent. Since overleveling your starter so you can one-shot everything goes against that point, they introduced a level cap mechanic so the player thinks "I'll make my entire team battle ready, rather than just my starter", and the Exp. Share helps with grinding.