• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Unpopular Pokemon opinions V2 (READ FIRST POST)

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3

Monox D. I-Fly

before gen 8 released there were "rumors" that armored pokemon would be the new gimmick and a lot people thought it was so cool. but it always sounded super lame to me and i'm glad it was fake
Armored Mewtwo looks nothing like Mewtwo.

Luthor

Mountain Gale is a great name for a move (I even like the Japanese version Iceberg Wind) but to me the move name sounds more like it should be a special move like most wind based move. The move description the user hurls giant chunks of ice at the target to inflict damage does make sense as a physical move but for that doesn't suit the name as well.

NeedsAName

Emboar has a good design and I will die on this hill
I agree so much! To copy-paste a comment (link) I made back in 2020...

"Emboar! Its entire evolutionary family has a pretty interesting and solid design (though a little ugly) and Fire/Fighting is a solid type combo, but Gen 5 wasn't the right time for it. We had just had Infernape, and before that, Blaziken. It also really did not fit any of Unova's common themes/designs and while I could maybe see Serperior and Samurott being in the same trio, Emboar does NOT fit in with them by a long shot. If they had waited to put it in with a fitting region and starter trio (maybe Texas region with Grass/Rock slingshotting squirrel and Water/Flying flamingo+flamenco dancer?) at least 3 generations after Infernape, it probably would have more love."

Orphalesion

before gen 8 released there were "rumors" that armored pokemon would be the new gimmick and a lot people thought it was so cool. but it always sounded super lame to me and i'm glad it was fake
Oh I remember that! Some people even thought (or even wanted) that "armored forms" would replace Regional Forms (because just shoving armour on Pokemon is apparently so much better than re-inventing them in a whole number of ways as regional forms :rolleyes:)
So glad that it turned out fake! Same with that horrible "teamster" rumour (as in you owuld only carry one Pokemon to challenge gym leaders and the rest would be carried by A.I. controlled "teamster" NPCs you'd recruit into your team) Like...why would anybody want that?
Unpopular opinion: Story-wise, X and Y have the worst main storyline which is why they should have released Pokémon Z as the far more superior enhanced version in 2014 and waited until 2015 to release ORAS worldwide instead.
I would agree, if SwSh didn't exist. At least X/Ys storyline didn't die after the 5th gym, and at least Lysander's actions made some degree of sense.
But if SwSh didn't exist, I would agree.

Ryker101

Hau is a good rival. He’s cheery yes but it makes sense since he’s from Alola. This also contrasts with Gladion, leading to fun interactions between them. And he’s deeper than you’d think, since he’s trying to live up to Hala and feels insecure about not being strong enough to win every battle, endangering those around him (like with Lillie on Poni island).

Also I hope they drop gyms now, SS made them the best they were. But it’s also boring imo, most leaders are just one-and-done characters and you can sweep most of them with type advantages anyway

Psajdak

It's not late 90s, early 2000s anymore; old/returning characters can't stay the same the whole time...

Some callbacks, and nostalgia are fine, but characters like Misty, Brock, or Gary still needed to adapt to current sensibilities in anime.

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
-I don't think Cogita is that old. Even if she's immortal like the theory goes, she only looks to physically be in her mid to late 40s. On top of that, she's modeled and animated like the younger adults, not the seniors. So it's always bizarre to me to see people saying that she's Volo's grandmother (for that matter I don't think they're closely related either. Distantly related sure since they're of the same bloodline, but not closely).

-Legends looks dated, not bad. Saying "it looks like a PS2 game" isn't an insult and shouldn't be seen as one. There were some very nice looking games on the PS2. Heck, it's probably got better looking games than the PS3, overall, though that's more of an unpopular gaming opinion.

-BDSP were lacking but they also weren't bad. They were just DP But Again, and DP were good games. They could have been more, but they were never promised as more, and people calling them bad over something that was never promised is ridiculous.

Luthor

-I don't think Cogita is that old. Even if she's immortal like the theory goes, she only looks to physically be in her mid to late 40s. On top of that, she's modeled and animated like the younger adults, not the seniors. So it's always bizarre to me to see people saying that she's Volo's grandmother (for that matter I don't think they're closely related either. Distantly related sure since they're of the same bloodline, but not closely).

-Legends looks dated, not bad. Saying "it looks like a PS2 game" isn't an insult and shouldn't be seen as one. There were some very nice looking games on the PS2. Heck, it's probably got better looking games than the PS3, overall, though that's more of an unpopular gaming opinion.

-BDSP were lacking but they also weren't bad. They were just DP But Again, and DP were good games. They could have been more, but they were never promised as more, and people calling them bad over something that was never promised is ridiculous.

Yeah obviously if she's immortal that would change things but for now I'll assume she's between 30-40. I think some people have just assumed from the white hair but some people get white hair a lot earlier. As for her relation to Volo I think both are biologically related to Cynthia but they themselves I don't think they are closely related (if related at all at that stage) given how he addresses her she's clearly someone Volo considers to have authority but given she insists on being called by her first name I don't think its anything with an obvious title like grandmother. My speculation is they are just both decendants of the ancient Sinnoh people.

As for those legends looking bad I just don't see it. If I compare the game to Ultra Sun and and UltraMoon the difference is significant. I'd even consider it a significant step up from Sword and Shield. I'm not saying there isn't ways to improve but I think they have made notable improvements.

I do consider BDSP to be good games. Could they have been better? yes but ultimately they were what I was expecting them to be and they did make a few improvements I liked (mainly the the Gym leader and Elite 4 rematches). I found it fun to go through Sinnoh again.

Last edited:

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I also liked BDSP for their gameplay. There are a few changes and additions that I would have made but they aren’t anything that important that they need to be added to the games immediately. The changes and additions I’d put in are Platinum’s Dex, adding regional forms to be rare encounters in Sinnoh, adding Sylveon, Cursola, and Mr. Rime to the Dex, add in a few Unovan Pokémon to the Dex that fit Sinnoh such as the Darumaka and Litwick lines, and add in the Venonat line to the Dex because they really really need some love.

NeedsAName

Yeah obviously if she's immortal that would change things but for now I'll assume she's between 30-40. I think some people have just assumed from the white hair but some people get white hair a lot earlier. As for her relation to Volo I think both are biologically related to Cynthia but they themselves I don't think they are closely related (if related at all at that stage) given how he addresses her she's clearly someone Volo considers to have authority but given she insists on being called by her first name I don't think its anything with an obvious title like grandmother. My speculation is they are just both decendants of the ancient Sinnoh people.
I also did not get an "over 50" vibe from Cogita, nor did I feel like she's related to Volo, but I could easily be wrong. My guesses were that she's 40-50 and Cynthia is both a descendant of her and Volo.

Also, what theory are you talking about? I'm confused, but intrigued.

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
I also did not get an "over 50" vibe from Cogita, nor did I feel like she's related to Volo, but I could easily be wrong. My guesses were that she's 40-50 and Cynthia is both a descendant of her and Volo.

Also, what theory are you talking about? I'm confused, but intrigued.
There's a theory that she's the person who wrote the ancient texts that you find through the game, and she says something about how the pokemon she gives you will return to her after you leave the world, which could mean either she expects that you will return to your own time *or* she knows she's going to outlive you. So people believe she may be one of the original Celestica people or something.

NeedsAName

There's a theory that she's the person who wrote the ancient texts that you find through the game, and she says something about how the pokemon she gives you will return to her after you leave the world, which could mean either she expects that you will return to your own time *or* she knows she's going to outlive you. So people believe she may be one of the original Celestica people or something.
Alright, but why the theory that she wrote the ancient texts? How does that follow?

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
IDK I haven't gotten them all yet and I haven't completed the Incarnate mission yet either.

Luthor

Alright, but why the theory that she wrote the ancient texts? How does that follow?

Firstly she states upon meeting you that he she'll be able to fulfill her duty upon meeting you. She later quotes the old verse 17 upon when you catch Enamorus. The description of the old verses states "Part of a series of old poems that have been unearthed around the Hisui region. Judging from the handwriting, it appears they were all written by the same person". Cogita's really quite a plausible suggestion if you believe the author of the texts has to be someone in-game to be that "same person"

Personally I don't buy into the idea that Cogita wrote them and I think they were just passed down to her from her ancestors. Also the comment about Enamorus returning I think refers more to the idea that you as a character will eventually die and thus Enamorus would return to the wild (rather than to her)

Last edited:

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
Or alternately that she just believes that you'll be able to return to your own time soon.