• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Unpopular Pokemon opinions V2 (READ FIRST POST)

PCN24454

A good chunk of the Pokemon fandom will denigrate a game if Charizard is in it, but will also do the same thing if there isn't a new Eeveelution. Both are overrated and both are constantly stuffed down our throats, but why is only one generally seen as a problem or crutch for the game?
People denigrate Eevee but not the Eeveelutions. That’s why people are still asking when Chloe’s Eevee is going to evolve.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
A good chunk of the Pokemon fandom will denigrate a game if Charizard is in it, but will also do the same thing if there isn't a new Eeveelution. Both are overrated and both are constantly stuffed down our throats, but why is only one generally seen as a problem or crutch for the game?
Because we're sick of Eevee. The Eeveelutions made Eevee and they seem to have forgotten that

pacman000

On a quest to be the best...
I wish they hadn’t abandoned the original story, where Pokemon were mysteriously appearing all the time.

Random Man2

HYPER BEAM!
One-hit KO moves such as Fissure and Horn Drill are extremely cool.

Random Man2

HYPER BEAM!
Yes. People always complain about these moves when used against them. People did that all the time back when I played on Pokémon NetBattle, and I recently won a Discord Pokémon tournament in which my final opponent complained about my use of Horn Drill Dragonite against him.

Bownzinho

I don’t really care about competitive stuff but I’ve got to say Stealth Rock is way more over centralising than anything else that people claim should be banned or has been banned in the past. Yes Mega Rayquaza is ridiculously powerful but not only must every single team have a Stealth Rock user but they must also have multiple ways to counter it.

That’s it, you’ll never see me make a post about competitive again

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
I'm actually starting to appreciate the cut Pokedex. In previous gens, Pokemon would be transfer only (Gens 2, 5, 7), or split between versions (Gens 3, 4, and 6). The reason I appreciate it is because it is no longer practical to really put all of them in the game prior to post game since Gen 7 has already that issue. On top of that, I can learn to appreciate other Pokemon while still using some of my favorites. My one "complaint" comes from the fact that not every Pokemon is available on Switch Pokemon games, but we'll see what Scarlet/Violet do about that. (Also because you can't transfer Pokemon into Let's Go besides Go, certain Alolan forms cannot rest in your Switch games.)

Last edited:

Vindicated30.6

Ace and Aspie, for life and light!
I'm actually starting to appreciate the cut Pokedex. In previous gens, Pokemon would be transfer only (Gens 2, 5, 7), or split between versions (Gens 3, 4, and 6). The reason I appreciate it is because it is no longer practical to really put all of them in the game prior to post game since Gen 7 has already that issue. On top of that, I can learn to appreciate other Pokemon while still using some of my favorites. My one "complaint" comes from the fact that not every Pokemon is available on Switch Pokemon games, but we'll see what Scarlet/Violet do about that. (Also because you can't transfer Pokemon into Let's Go besides Go) certain Alolan forms cannot rest in your Switch games.)
This. I have three shiny Alolan Geodude I got via the GTS on Home, and I can't evolve them because the Geodude and Grimer lines were absent from the Isle of Armor gifts the Diglett guy gives out.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
This. I have three shiny Alolan Geodude I got via the GTS on Home, and I can't evolve them because the Geodude and Grimer lines were absent from the Isle of Armor gifts the Diglett guy gives out.
Normal Samurott is also not present since Legends: Arceus doesn't have a normal form for each Hisuian one.

Mirai

OR/AS were bloody awful remakes. This wouldn't have been such an unpopular opinion when the games came out since most people were disappointed about the lack of the BF but now the consensus seems to be that they were still good games.

Well I disagree. I can't even remember the last time I actually played them, they're just that boring to me.

TwilightBlade

OR/AS were bloody awful remakes. This wouldn't have been such an unpopular opinion when the games came out since most people were disappointed about the lack of the BF but now the consensus seems to be that they were still good games.

Well I disagree. I can't even remember the last time I actually played them, they're just that boring to me.
The last time I played the ORAS games was a couple years ago and only because I wanted to check to see if the games still worked because I had read somewhere that some ORAS carts had stopped working properly.

Other than that I don't play those games anymore and haven't done anything important in them since like 2016. SM totally overshadowed them in my opinion. :[

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
I actually like not having the National Dex in the games. Gives me less stress while catching Pokémon and trying to remember where each one can be found.

MrJechgo

I actually like not having the National Dex in the games. Gives me less stress while catching Pokémon and trying to remember where each one can be found.
Here's what's problematic without the National Dex:
  • HOME is used as storage, but in reality, only half of the Pokémon you caught can be used in later games. You are paying for the service, in the end. If it was part of the NSO, it wouldn't be that bad, since you would gain online multiplayer as well.
  • Let's Go, Sword / Shield, Legends and BDSP are all Switch games with updated 3D models, so why aren't those Pokémon all available in SV? I know that they can't allow all of them at once, but there are now 4 games with useable material.
  • Not having the National Dex available limits GameFreak to what they can offer. For instance, the Pokémon World Championship and Battle Tree featured characters from past games, but if their signature Pokémon are missing, they cannot be added for a suitable challenge.
  • Many Pokémon could use SV's upgraded mechanics, like Terastallizing and new moves.
  • As much as people defend GameFreak to be limited in many ways, they clearly lacked time and resources. If they can't delay the games, they can hire more people to help them out. I'm also certain that there IS a way to allow all 1,000+ Pokémon in one game. For instance, maybe have a special Box with 25 slots to allow HOME transfer, and the game simply loads and unloads those Pokémon's specific data.
  • Multiplayer is one key feature for Pokémon, so hampering what Pokémon to use isn't a good idea.
Yes, it's less stressful, but to carry over your previous teams should be the BIGGEST appeal for later games, especially for HOME.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
Here's what's problematic without the National Dex:
  • HOME is used as storage, but in reality, only half of the Pokémon you caught can be used in later games. You are paying for the service, in the end. If it was part of the NSO, it wouldn't be that bad, since you would gain online multiplayer as well.
  • Let's Go, Sword / Shield, Legends and BDSP are all Switch games with updated 3D models, so why aren't those Pokémon all available in SV? I know that they can't allow all of them at once, but there are now 4 games with useable material.
  • Not having the National Dex available limits GameFreak to what they can offer. For instance, the Pokémon World Championship and Battle Tree featured characters from past games, but if their signature Pokémon are missing, they cannot be added for a suitable challenge.
  • Many Pokémon could use SV's upgraded mechanics, like Terastallizing and new moves.
  • As much as people defend GameFreak to be limited in many ways, they clearly lacked time and resources. If they can't delay the games, they can hire more people to help them out. I'm also certain that there IS a way to allow all 1,000+ Pokémon in one game. For instance, maybe have a special Box with 25 slots to allow HOME transfer, and the game simply loads and unloads those Pokémon's specific data.
  • Multiplayer is one key feature for Pokémon, so hampering what Pokémon to use isn't a good idea.
Yes, it's less stressful, but to carry over your previous teams should be the BIGGEST appeal for later games, especially for HOME.
And that’s the thing. I don’t carry over any of my past teams because I never play competitively or have a team that has more than one or two permanent members. I use Pokémon that will help me accomplish my current goal in the games. In Violet, I rotated out every single one of my Pokémon in my party except Quaquaval. It has never been put into a Box yet. I used Annihilape for half the game and it is a huge member of my in game team but I rotated it out during the post game story. So keeping my Pokémon from older games is nice but it isn’t all that important to me.