• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Unpopular Thoughts about the Main Character's Pokemon?

DatsRight

Pretty sure most people agree Inteleon had by far one of the worst evolution in the anime. Probably the worst imo
Tsareena's evolutions were also pretty bull, though they at least seemed to admit that by the end of the series. Wonder if the same will occur for Inteleon.

Really the evolution process as a whole tends to not work great in the anime, since it nearly always runs on 'the power of really really wanting it' during a big climax or something, undermining the feel that they actually earned the boost. Only a few of them (mostly SM examples) are plot/character driven and feel like they were organically handled.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
Serena’s team dynamic is underrated

Mythical-Moonlight

I just ran, I ran all Night and Day ~
Sobble's evolutions really feel unearned because we didn't see any on screen development. As a Sobble, most of the time he just sat around as a shoulder warmer crying or hiding. As a Drizzile, he spent the entire time moping in a cave rather than tackling his depression over not being an Inteleon, then evolves despite literally doing nothing.
I said Unpopular Opinions lol

I think another thing that played a part in Sobble's lack of focus was the fact that it got wedged in between the current Gen Shillmon (Cinderace) and the current Gen Comedy Relief Mon (Grookey)

Because the Sobble line is literally just the other Starter that the writers figured no one cares about so they could just rush though it's evos right?

Tsareena's evolutions were also pretty bull, though they at least seemed to admit that by the end of the series. Wonder if the same will occur for Inteleon.

Tsareena's evolutions seemed to have happened in an attempt to do something with Mallow since the writers surely had no idea what else to do with her
Seriously I question the decision to even put Mallow on the main cast

When it comes to Evolutions on the cast, it happens with Pokemon that the writers clearly have no idea how to develop properly.

Last edited:

DatsRight

Tsareena's evolutions seemed to have happened in an attempt to do something with Mallow since the writers surely had no idea what else to do with her
Seriously I question the decision to even put Mallow on the main cast

When it comes to Evolutions on the cast, it happens with Pokemon that the writers clearly have no idea how to develop properly.
I truthfully feel like they should have switched the episode placement of Steenee's evolution and Shaymin appearing. Most of the SM teams flourished from bouncing off teammates and gaining agency within their dynamics, while all the girls were stuck with one solitary Pokemon and building from that somehow until the final year, at which point it was kinda too late to do much.

Until Shaymin appeared, Tsareena had no chemistries or personality besides Rowlet smacking, and it kinda shows in how little they bothered with her. At least after establishing Tsareena's softer side they got odd bits like her Z Move syncing with Mallow.

Last edited:

Litleonid

I said Unpopular Opinions lol

I think another thing that played a part in Sobble's lack of focus was the fact that it got wedged in between the current Gen Shillmon (Cinderace) and the current Gen Comedy Relief Mon (Grookey)

Because the Sobble line is literally just the other Starter that the writers figured no one cares about so they could just rush though it's
I've seen some try to justify Sobble's evolution. I thought it wasn't as popular of an opinion honestly. I still think also that Sobble REALLY should not have gone to Goh. And please stop calling Cinderace a shillmon....

Last edited:

Mythical-Moonlight

I just ran, I ran all Night and Day ~
I've seen some try to justify Sobble's evolution. I thought it wasn't as popular of an opinion honestly.
Really? People actually try to justify that?

I still think also that Sobble REALLY should not have gone to Goh.
Agreed

And please stop calling Cinderace a shillmon....
Okay then. Would you rather I call it "TPCi's Favorite Galar Starter"?
(I don't really get why people get upset at the term "Shillmon" but whatever)

Last edited:

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
I always thought that it’s dumb when people blame aces for why other Pokémon have bad win:loss ratios. The anime has shown that it can have the entire team shine without a designated fall guy.

Ash’s Journeys team gets a lot of leeway because of it breaking the mold and having fan favorites but it is easily his second worst team behind his Johto team.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
I always thought that it’s dumb when people blame aces for why other Pokémon have bad win:loss ratios. The anime has shown that it can have the entire team shine without a designated fall guy.
Honestly esp in JN case with Lucario when if anything JN has been the most judicious with how much time they'll give lucario instead of just shamelessly shilling him or including him when he didnt have a right to be (Here he does because its a worldwide series and Lucario fits well with Ash and a majority wanted him to have one)
All Lucario got as a riolu was the bare minimum of screentime to make it believeable that
a) It is strong to evolve
b) It has a bond with Ash to evolve
After which it got shoved until it was time to Mega evolve it, so they have it's strength be reminded (with the Volkner episode) before jumping into its mega arc
And now after arcs for 3 other Ash's mons we are seeing it have relevance, that too to improve its Mega which we barely saw any work on

Ignition

Honestly esp in JN case with Lucario when if anything JN has been the most judicious with how much time they'll give lucario instead of just shamelessly shilling him or including him when he didnt have a right to be (Here he does because its a worldwide series and Lucario fits well with Ash and a majority wanted him to have one)
All Lucario got as a riolu was the bare minimum of screentime to make it believeable that
a) It is strong to evolve
b) It has a bond with Ash to evolve
After which it got shoved until it was time to Mega evolve it, so they have it's strength be reminded (with the Volkner episode) before jumping into its mega arc
And now after arcs for 3 other Ash's mons we are seeing it have relevance, that too to improve its Mega which we barely saw any work on
Disagree on them not shamelessly shilling it but generally yes Journeys’s team is alright with each member getting respect in battles.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Disagree on them not shamelessly shilling it but generally yes Journeys’s team is alright with each member getting respect in battles.
Honestly battlewise JN team Now finally is great. Unlike every other team every member got to shine in a battle, even before the endgame
They even have great individual personalities, well some of them. What they lack in is just....organic screentime and interactions to let that personality shine and make their strength more believable, which is ultimately the core of a team

Ignition

Honestly battlewise JN team Now finally is great. Unlike every other team every member got to shine in a battle, even before the endgame
They even have great individual personalities, well some of them. What they lack in is just....organic screentime and interactions to let that personality shine and make their strength more believable, which is ultimately the core of a team
As of now they’ve definitely improved but for me it’s a little too late to make up for what they could’ve done and what they’re up against. Their battle strength is undoubtedly their biggest strength though. They’ll need to do some major changes in the last 30 episodes for my opinion on them to change.

Gingertail24

kinda want the show to focus on trainers who got abandoned by their pokemon. When the pokemon is abandoned, it showed as cruel and traumatic, due to the trainer thinking the pokemon is weak. But can you imagine it in reverse? You adore your starter pokemon and then it suddenly decides to leave you because it veiws you as a weak trainer. That has to hurt

I miss when Pikachu was chubby

Gingertail24

Rowlet sleeping gag got really annoying really fast
Ash should of got Dewott
I hear this alot but, staraptor really needed a new move. Yes quick attack, Arial ace, close combat, and brave bird is a good moveset. But he really needed a projectile attack. It bothered me that the league battle against Paul, he basically had no choice but to get close to drapion due to the nature of his moves even tho he was supposed to watch out for his tail.