• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Unpopular Thoughts about the Main Character's Pokemon?

Gingertail24

The problem is that Raboot wouldn’t fit on Goh’s shoulder. That’s why they had Sobble take over that role and now Grookey. Recent series I feel try too hard to give each main character a “small, cute” Pokémon that stays outside of its Poké Ball for the sole purpose of trying to replicate Ash’s Pikachu. Those roots in fact go all the way back to Dawn’s Piplup in DP.
Are you sure? Raboot wasn't all that big. I think they could of made it fit on his shoulder. They just wanted him to evolve and Inteleon so they can make way for grookey to fit on his shoulder

Mythical-Moonlight

I just ran, I ran all Night and Day ~
The problem is that Raboot wouldn’t fit on Goh’s shoulder. That’s why they had Sobble take over that role and now Grookey. Recent series I feel try too hard to give each main character a “small, cute” Pokémon that stays outside of its Poké Ball for the sole purpose of trying to replicate Ash’s Pikachu.
Thing is tho, even when Sobble was on Goh's shoulders they still had Raboot always walking outside his Pokeball so Raboot not fitting on Goh's shoulder clearly wasn't the problem

Those roots in fact go all the way back to Dawn’s Piplup in DP.
I'd argue Misty's Togepi was the pioneer for the "small and cute that's always outside it's Pokeball"

Last edited:

DatsRight

I mean Ash had Pikachu all the time, Team Rocket has Meowth and Wobbuffet, there's no problem having a 'mascot' that gets as much focus (especially since most of the Pokemon work well with interactions, especially Pikachu himself).

The bigger problem is that, unlike Pikachu, a lot of these mascots end up not doing much BESIDES being small and cute. Piplup did okay and I didn't mind Togedemaru despite her being stagnant, but the others tend to not have a lot of agency. (I might count Marowak as a good one too, but I'm not sure if it counts as a 'cute' mascot.)

It's kinda why I prefered SM's format where they just had ALL of the Pokemon outside their balls most of the time, though I get the premise was better suited for that sort of thing.

Gingertail24

I mean Ash had Pikachu all the time, Team Rocket has Meowth and Wobbuffet, there's no problem having a 'mascot' that gets as much focus (especially since most of the Pokemon work well with interactions, especially Pikachu himself).

The bigger problem is that, unlike Pikachu, a lot of these mascots end up not doing much BESIDES being small and cute. Piplup did okay and I didn't mind Togedemaru despite her being stagnant, but the others tend to not have a lot of agency. (I might count Marowak as a good one too, but I'm not sure if it counts as a 'cute' mascot.)

It's kinda why I prefered SM's format where they just had ALL of the Pokemon outside their balls most of the time, though I get the premise was better suited for that sort of thing.
I don't count marowak. I feel like the mascot has to be outside the ball all the time. And while I found him cute, I don't think the anime staff did lol

The only.one that worked really well was piplup.
Axew was just annoying to me after a while.
Dedenne exist
All of the SM shouldermons were just honestly boring too me. Basically there personality felt like "cute and friendly". That's it.
Togedemaru I found annoying too
And grookey is the worst of them all

Mythical-Moonlight

I just ran, I ran all Night and Day ~
I don't count marowak. I feel like the mascot has to be outside the ball all the time. And while I found him cute, I don't think the anime staff did lol

The only.one that worked really well was piplup.
Axew was just annoying to me after a while.
Dedenne exist
All of the SM shouldermons were just honestly boring too me. Basically there personality felt like "cute and friendly". That's it.
Togedemaru I found annoying too
And grookey is the worst of them all
Oshawott? Snivy? Chespin? Rowlet?

BlueDragonfangirl

Unpopular opinion: Koharu's Eevee is not interesting to me
I don’t think that’s not an un popular opinion, she’s just an eevee advertisement at this point.

RafaSceptile

Do you want an unpopular thought?

It was fine for Pikachu to act like it did in JN030, and I don't consider it OOC because this was your classic filler episode that you can remove from the anime and nothing else changes.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Oshawott? Snivy? Chespin? Rowlet?
Mijumaru was essentially a duplicate Pochama, only with less development. Tsutarja was fine, although she was also a bit underdeveloped especially towards the second half of BW: I still maintain that she should've evolved at least once. Harimaron's situation was like Mijumaru's, only much worse since he belonged to Citron and therefore got few focus episodes. And I'd rather not even think about Mokuroh.

Ryker101

I still like Ash’s team despite how underdeveloped it is. Each pokemon has a memorable personality and suits Ash well imo. You got the lone warriors (Lucario and Sirfetch’d), abandoned/traumatised one (Gengar) and goofballs (Dragonite and Dracovish). I just wish they interacted more cause they’d have great chemistry I bet

Sham

The Guardian of War
I have no feelings towards Chespin and I’m not sure if it’s because he was bland or if I’m missing something

DatsRight

I love comical Pokemon (and heroes all around really).

What I don't love is them being treated as stagnant or incompetent purely because they are comical.

I like ones like Rowlet and Squirtle who were the quirky guys of the group but still got buffs and key battles, as well as fun bonds with some of their team mates instead of just being the bumbling dead weight of the group that annoys or get mistreated by everyone. I kinda end up feeling both irritated and kinda sorry for those sorts.

I can sorta take Togedemaru because while she was mostly stagnant she wasn't useless and her bonds with Pikachu and Vikavolt were rather cute.