• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Unpopular Thoughts about the Main Character's Pokemon?

Mythical-Moonlight

I just ran, I ran all Night and Day ~
Dont know if this unpopular but Inteleon and Grookey should've interacted.

First of all. If Goh and his Starters are allegedly supposed to resemble a family unit, then they are doing a piss poor job at by not even letting two of the "family members" even interact

Second, Grookey needs someone his hyperactive personality can bounce off from. Eevee and Cinderace are too similar in personality and Pikachu is just an enabler

Inteleon's calm maturity would be a perfect counterbalance to all of Grookey's childlike rambunctious personality (with Cinderace being somewhere in the middle)

Gingertail24

this might be really unpopular. But I never found ash and Greninja relationship very interesting. While I'm not one of those people who thought ash was unemotive in XY.

I felt like ash and Greninja personality were too similar to form an interesting dynamic. For instance the dynamic (even though it was shown like once) between Lucario and cinderace I like due to how different and conflicting there personality are. This goes the same for ash and Pikachu. While there relationship is adorable. Sometimes it feels like Pikachu is just a mini ash.

k6666

Pikachu Fan
Oh I forgot something, Idk if this is unpopular or not, but Ash's Snivy should've evolved and been his Ace Pokemon

Brock should've never caught Mudkip.

Mudkip should've gone to either Ash or May
I think that is popular opinion no really unpopular tho

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
1. Iris's Emolga was a good edition to her team
2. Iris's Axew wasnt annoyin

I am including supporting characters in this:
1. I felt that Popplio should have gone to Ash or some character with some sort of substance in sm, instead of being wasted

DatsRight

this might be really unpopular. But I never found ash and Greninja relationship very interesting. While I'm not one of those people who thought ash was unemotive in XY.

I felt like ash and Greninja personality were too similar to form an interesting dynamic. For instance the dynamic (even though it was shown like once) between Lucario and cinderace I like due to how different and conflicting there personality are. This goes the same for ash and Pikachu. While there relationship is adorable. Sometimes it feels like Pikachu is just a mini ash.
I found Greninja kinda boring really. A pretty standard 'stoic battlebot' type. I feel like if it had kept its Froakie personality it might have worked, but Greninja was a glorified plot device for Ash by XYZ, it didn't even interact with its teammates anymore.

It's why I think Greninja winning the league wouldn't have been as satisfying. The victory would have been all on this glorified gimmick. I don't feel the same about Lycanroc doing it, it still felt like Ash and his whole team pulling it off.

DatsRight

I don't really mind Pikachu getting the lion's share of screentime.

He is the main character Pokemon, plus he's also a good foil for a lot of other Pokemon each series, meaning many others usually benefit from his presence.

It helps that Pikachu's battles tend to be increasingly well made as the show goes on. Electroweb was a surprisingly good choice.

Gingertail24

I don't really mind Pikachu getting the lion's share of screentime.

He is the main character Pokemon, plus he's also a good foil for a lot of other Pokemon each series, meaning many others usually benefit from his presence.

It helps that Pikachu's battles tend to be increasingly well made as the show goes on. Electroweb was a surprisingly good choice.
I feel like it's been a while since Pikachu got an actual character arc.

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y
I was disappointed when Ash's Bulbasaur and Dawn's Piplup refused to evolve.
Blame Masamitsu Hidaka (R.I.P.) for thinking Prinplup and Empoleon are too ugly for a Coordinator to use. Well, how does that explain Dawn’s rival Kenny using a Prinplup/Empoleon? I think the real reason was because they had to make Piplup into a second Pikachu “walking mascot” Pokémon for marketing reasons…

Blood Red

【推しの子】
Grookey shouldn't have gone to either Go or Ash; it should've remained with Team Rocket. It could've whacked James on the head to show its affection, and its naturally curious and naughty nature could've gotten TR into all sorts of trouble. Morpeko, on the other hand, should've been taken by Goh because he can actually afford it.

Gingertail24

A lot of Misty's team in the OS was redundant or never did much. Did she really need both Staryu and Starmie? Did Goldeen have any purpose outside of like 2 episodes? Even Horsea's capture was pointless since it never did anything.
Lol I forgot Goldeen existed. Honestly that's the thing about fish pokemon. Unless the character are constantly in the ocean or a body of water. We're.nor gonna see them. Unless there just gonna flop around. Too bad it's not like the games, where they just kinda float in the air lol

Falconmaroni

Lol I forgot Goldeen existed. Honestly that's the thing about fish pokemon. Unless the character are constantly in the ocean or a body of water. We're.nor gonna see them. Unless there just gonna flop around. Too bad it's not like the games, where they just kinda float in the air lol
It's an issue with all her pokemon oddly. The writers just focused on Psyduck for comedy and sometimes Staryu. Of course Togepi couldn't battle properly either. But it took halfway into Johto for her to have some pokemon that could battle properly like Poliwhirl and Corsola.

Also for a character who specializes in water pokemon none of them really did anything unique or special compared to any of the other main characters water pokemon .

DatsRight

I think it only played further into Misty looking like she was full of ******** when talking about Ash because she did NOTHING to work out the rough spots with her own Pokemon team and ultimately just got other, conviniently more competent substitutes. Even Togepi and Psyduck she tried training all of once and then ragequit.

Mythical-Moonlight

I just ran, I ran all Night and Day ~
I love Cinderace but I lowkey wish Raboot hadn't evolved. Just so it could remain outside of it's Pokeball and stay by Goh's side every episode

As Goh's 1st partner, it should be treated with more respect

Also I think Raboot's design really complimented Goh's design nearly perfectly

Last edited:

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y
I love Cinderace but I lowkey wish Raboot hadn't evolved. Just so it could remain outside of it's Pokeball and stay by Goh's side every episode

As Goh's 1st partner, it should be treated with more respect

Also I think Raboot's design really complimented Goh's design nearly perfectly
The problem is that Raboot wouldn’t fit on Goh’s shoulder. That’s why they had Sobble take over that role and now Grookey. Recent series I feel try too hard to give each main character a “small, cute” Pokémon that stays outside of its Poké Ball for the sole purpose of trying to replicate Ash’s Pikachu. Those roots in fact go all the way back to Dawn’s Piplup in DP.