• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Upcoming Godzilla Reboot by Legendary Pictures

ShachonianX

Spheal Lord

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
People that have seen it are saying that Godzilla is barely in it; in a sense that he's not wrecking **** clearly on-screen at all times. He's seen in glimpses until the final flight. I was actually hoping it would be like this because it makes him more mysterious and threatening, something Pacific Rim lacked.

I won't deny it, but it was a monster beat-'em-up film, so might as well throw out a battle where needs be while showing off the kaiju because that's what we paid money for. But glimpses of Godzilla is a nice way to build up to his full reveal, which is something the 1998 film did at first (and probably the only thing they did right), and I think some Toho films did this. Though for the most part, I remember that Godzilla emerging from the ocean or volcano (which I think is rare to begin with) wasn't really built up since he would just show up out of nowhere. And all he would do is what he did best: SKREEONK!, wreck stuff, shrug off the army because the army never learns that their puny weapons are no match for him, fight a monster in as many fight scenes as the movie would allow, wreck more stuff, give an occasional (silly) pose/SKREEONK! in victory, and leave.

So maybe it's a good thing the trailer has revealed him in full to get more people in, but I don't think it'll take away from the experience. My dad has been really excited about this, one of the reasons being because he's doing it to see my youngest brother's reactions since he loves Godzilla, and he's hoping his reaction will be similar to when they saw Pacific Rim. He and Mom are taking the day off from work, and they're also keeping the kids home from school just so we can go see Godzilla, lol.

I should get around to actually read the comics and watch a couple of the movies to further prepare myself for the film...

diakyu

I'm so in this thread now. Loved Godzilla when I was a child and I still love it.

On the subject of Godzilla's screentime, I've read some good reactions about it and it seems fine. The movie also seems to have nailed Godzilla's anti-hero qualities. My one question though, are there two fights? Or is there only one? In one of the trailers we see Godzilla facing the flying Muto in the daytime. But in the preview at wondercon we got a scene of Godzilla facing a Muto at night at the airport. So what's the deal? I only ever see reference to the big fight at the end.

charizardfan

While I do hope there's plenty of action in the meantime it would be nice if the film just builds up to one big, long fight between Godzilla and the MUTOs at the end instead of sprinkling it all over the film.

Also, for anyone who doesn't know, there are 5 clips released online from the movie. I don't think they spoil anything we don't already know, but take caution anyway:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xxj6HQ9i2Hk ("You Need To Get Out Of There")
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InVa5zNYqrg ("This Is My Job")
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkPT7H6-BeA ("MUTO")
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVf1FbVri-k ("I Deserve Answers")
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTu0Zzf0x-8 ("Let Them Fight")

TeamUniverse12

Team Universe Boss
Though I may be going TOTALLY off topic, I just downloaded Godzilla Strike Zone for the nook, and it was TERRIBLE! The first level puts you in the HALO jump, but you have to try not to hit your squadmates, who are constantly moving around, though the safe zone appears to be either of the two lower corners. After the jump, you come into a section in which you are guiding your parachuting character over, under, and in between buildings. Due to HORRIBLE tilting controls, I haven't been able to get past this level. Though this game is probably easier on a laptop, due to use of the arrow keys, I give this game a 0.5/10 on the nook for good graphics, but HORRIBLE gameplay.

charizardfan

Reviews for the movie started coming out on Saturday and will keep doing so throughout the week, for anyone interested in checking out how people are receiving the film. Godzilla currently has an 86% rating on Rotten Tomatoes. Some of the comments have spoilers, though, so be careful.

From the things I've been reading, I'm getting the impression that Bryan Cranston is the best of the cast, Elizabeth Olsen and Ken Watanabe don't really amount to much in the story, and opinions are mixed on whether or not Aaron Taylor-Johnson is a compelling main protagonist. Godzilla and the MUTOs are great and the effects and action sequences are incredible, at least so it seems, and the movie builds up to a very good climax. So in all it seems like a good movie, but not one without its flaws.

MosuGoji

RIP Jared
I caught a pre-screening last weekend. Fantastic movie. Everything I wanted and more.

randomspot555

I know the promotional interviews and all were all like "we want people to care about the humans, not just the monsters.". I took that as meaning that, unlike lots of Monster films, the acting not only wouldn't suck, but it might actually be good.

Besides Cranston's character, I honestly didn't get an emotional connection with the other characters, particularly the main one (who plays Cranston's son). This does not make it a bad movie, it is just an average script with average acting...again, aside from Cranston.

It is a good movie, but don't go in expecting anything too thrilling in terms of plot.

I might see it again in IMAX just to get the enhanced sound experience.

Some more spoiler-ey talk:

Cranston's character dies in the first quarter of the film or thereabouts. Considering how much he is in the promotional trailers, I was hoping we'd at least get some flashback scenes. But nope.

They really didn't sell me on the idea of Ford being The Only Guy Who Can Solve The Bomb thing, especially since he would've failed in that task if it wasn't for Godzilla.

I really didn't like how the newscast in the movie literally asks if Godzilla is the "Savior of the City". I would've personally liked some ambiguity if Godzilla was a hero or villain, but somewhere around half into the movie, everyone except for military stops being afraid of Godzilla and is only afraid of the other monsters.

I found it interesting that, in this movie, Godzilla is just a Monster That Has Always Existed and isn't created either due to Hiroshima/Nagasaki or nuclear bomb testing in the Pacific. While the other monsters are due to either radiation or nuclear storage.

The obligatory Hiroshima reference felt really shoe horned in and really didn't make a lot of sense. "I lost my dad in the A-bomb" isn't a good reason not to try to stop 3 monsters from destroying the west coast of the US

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Awesome movie, I had fun with it. Godzilla showed up around I think at the forty-five/hour mark, but once he did, his presence remained. Not that we hadn't gotten glimpses of his presence, the MUTO held it at first, but once he arrived, everything became awesome. Godzilla was awesome to see again on the big screen, but I really like the MUTOs. I think it sucks but also a good thing there were only two of them to keep from being crowded. Their designs were pretty cool, though I'm still debating with myself if they really fit in with the rest of the monsters of not. Though they kinda look like Destroyah... I think, anyway. I dunno, they didn't take away from anything, I enjoyed seeing them on-screen, and the reveal of the first one was chilling.

It was only for, like, two scenes, but I loved how Godzilla charged up his atomic breath. From how the spikes from his tail-up glow, and then he takes a breath and chest puffs, and boom. I reached out to low-five my brother when Godzilla used his atomic breath down the female MUTO's throat, that was awesome. And when he collapsed shortly afterwards, I knew he wasn't dead, because it takes much more than that to kill him off. I joked with my brother that he just passed out where he stood because he felt like it. Or... however I joked with him... I can't remember anymore ._.;...
The humans characters were okay. Yeah, Cranston as Joe Brody was the best character in the film, though I could tell Aaron Taylor-Johnson was trying as Ford. I'm just glad that in the end, Godzilla saved the day even if the humans made the attempt to try. Which is funny because Godzilla seemed to care, but at the same time, he was doing it because he wanted to put some new monsters in their place. Which makes me believe that the MUTOs are more instinctual than they are destructive, since there were times where they didn't really destroy various buildings because they just weren't in the way, though I guess they might've been choosy about what buildings to go through and around. Same goes for Godzilla when he emerged off the coast of Hawaii and flooded the city miles inland.

So yeah. I enjoyed the movie very much. I feel a little sad inside because I know it's just not going to be quite the same on TV like it is on the big screen.

Now I want a Legendary Godzilla plushie to squeeze because he just looked so huggable. <3

Also, interesting that they didn't English sub the Japanese dialogue. Not complaining, I thought it was interesting. I was able to catch sentences here and there, and my parents did bug me with "What are they saying?" at all, so I'm cool with it.

Last edited:

charizardfan

I would've given anything to have caught a chance to see this movie today, but I guess I'll just have to settle for a vacation and then catching this when I come back. :p

Some good news for chances of a sequel - the movie seems to have had a very strong opening day and some are predicting an $80-90 million dollar opening weekend (the latter of which would put it right beside The Amazing Spider-Man 2), which is far above the $60-70 million predictions beforehand.

The movie definitely doesn't sound like it's as good as the trailers were hyping it up to be, which is disappointing, but I still expect to be heavily entertained when I do check it out. And if there is a sequel, that means there's a chance the next one could be even better.

AuroriumX

The Interceptor
Saw it last night as well. It sure was epic. The only thing that made me not give it a perfect score was the completely forgettable family story but other than that the movie was fantastic.

Rinni

Hero of the Storm
I don't care for spoilers so I wasn't cautious coming into this thread. But its so good to see some people enjoyed the movie. I cannot wait to see it! Thanks all for getting me even more hyped for something other than the Hobbit to see at the movies. haha!

Saw Godzilla last night, and it was simply incredible! The buildup to the monsters, the cinematography, the action, all of it was great. Godzilla himself was more imposing than I ever thought I'd see him again, and the final fight with the MUTOs was beyond epic. Sure, the human characters are a bit "meh", but thats simply to get you hyped for the next glimpse of Godzilla in all of his titanic might. I give it a solid 9/10 =)

Deadly.Braviary

Personally I loved it, especially the soundtrack and the monsters themselves. The music and the lighting for the San Francisco bit really reminded me of Splinter Cell Chaos Theory's Hokkaido level, really set the mood. The bit with the flares was an impressive section, it really highlighted how massive Godzilla was. The scale of the movie was amazing. And the atomic breath took me kinda by surprise, I was somehow under the impression that it was confirmed not to be in the film. On the technical side though, Godzilla looked so impressive and his roar was very cool and intimidating. In terms of human characters, yeah, I have to say I was kinda surprised Bryan Cranston's character was killed off so easily, but Ken Watanabe (Dr Serizawa) stole the show for me, I really liked his character. Like others have said, Godzilla's role was emphasised as very heroic and for some reason, he felt very much like 'one of the good guys', and not an animalistic force of nature as I believe was intended.

Still, on the whole, the movie was amazing. Could've been a bit better, but yeah, amazing.

~Deadly

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
The bit with the flares was an impressive section, it really highlighted how massive Godzilla was. The scale of the movie was amazing.

Yeah, that's a great moment (which is why it's in the trailer, lol). As horrifying as it is, I really like how when he comes onto land, he creates a tsunami. That's just one of the many touches I've liked in this movie.

And the atomic breath took me kinda by surprise, I was somehow under the impression that it was confirmed not to be in the film.

Why would it not be in a Godzilla film? The atomic breath is the most iconic feature of Godzilla next to his roar, he's just not Godzilla without it. I mean, yeah, he only used it twice (or in two scenes, anyway, and those scenes were worth the wait), but I think that was more out of a "You leave me no choice" move even though in the other films, he'd use it quite a bit.

Like others have said, Godzilla's role was emphasised as very heroic and for some reason, he felt very much like 'one of the good guys', and not an animalistic force of nature as I believe was intended.

I think he's still both in this film, though Godzilla's more of an anti-hero than a hero since people still died. (Actually, I think he's always been an anti-hero because of that.) Now I think it's really impressive how Godzilla didn't seem like he wanted to be destructive, like with the scene where he's at the Golden Gate Bridge. If he wanted to, he could've just plowed right through without a shrug. I mean, it's kinda what we expect him to do, right? I actually thought it was a little amusing how when he was emerging from the water, he was doing it as slow as possible so the ships that were on top of him could be pushed aside without capsizing them (unless that still happened, but I don't recall people falling out of the ships). Of course, the military stupidly shot at him when he wasn't doing anything (but I think it's another iconic thing in a Godzilla film to have the army fire at him even though everyone knows our weapons wouldn't scratch him), but just the way he grabbed onto the cable and tried to keep it stabilized without breaking it was really neat to see.

So he's still destructive, but for a creature his size and nature, he was making an effort to not do it on purpose. He may still be a force of nature--he always will be--but I think like Mother Earth, he makes the decision whether to be pissed off at humanity or not. I have to wonder if he understands the role of humans which is why he doesn't make a conscious effort to plow through a city like the MUTOs did. (Even though they didn't always do that, either.) It's like he forgave humans for trying to kill him in the 50s, but then again, the MUTO were being a threat, so he had to restore that balance.

You know, is it just me, or is Godzilla more of a complex character than first believed?

Let me begin by saying that since Godzilla's design was revealed back in 2013, I saw a bright future with this film. They finally got the design right and it remained true to the original unlike the trainwreck that Ronald Emmerich's 1998 movie was. After 4 years of patience, I went to see the movie today.

The film started on a good footing with the incident at the power plant. It's grim, it's sad, it sets the tone for the sort of genre of movie that Godzilla falls into. But it also led me to believe that Bryan Cranston's character was gonna be the main human character (the trailers also led me to believe this too), but again was pretty sad when he couldn't get to medical assistance in time and died on that helicopter 15 years after Ford's mother died. I kinda wished he and Ford would've worked together, but I guess that never came to be.

The way the MUTOs were executed was pretty good. It's a well-known fact that the only thing that can stand a chance against Godzilla is another monster. But speaking of that, Godzilla seemed kind of frail in this movie, which disappointed me since he can take a whole lot more than that to even stumble. However, I'm still glad that he eventually got together and used his atomic breath to finish off both MUTOs, though the atomic breath could've been a little wider.

But since I call the movie good, that doesn't mean it's perfect. The one thing that bugged me the most was that when Godzilla arrived on Honolulu to fight one of the MUTOs, the scene just ended where it was just getting started. Then it happened again some point later on in the film. This makes me think that with American monster movies AND with many other types of film as well, the actual main star of the show isn't supposed to get much screentime which I find quite despicable. The beauty of the Toho movies is that the monsters get buffets of screentime - most of them do, anyway. I also couldn't help but feel that Godzilla wasn't really the main star of his own movie and that he spent most of his screentime either underwater or hidden behind smoke. But the final battle between the three monsters gave them plenty of screentime, and the ending with the portrayal of Godzilla as some sort of anti-hero was perfect. I love the King Kong hint when Godzilla finished off the female MUTO by opening up it's jaws and blasting it's insides with his atomic breath - that was awesome. And in the end, Godzilla did stay true to his original incarnations - he may have been downed, but he woke back up again and walked triumphantly into the sea.

All in all, this was definitely a massive improvement on the 1998 film. While I do generally prefer the Toho movies, I'm well and totally satisfied by it despite it's flaws, but all in all it's definitely lived up to it's hype.

9/10

As a side note, I've been thinking of this concept for a while: what if there was a gigantic crossover between every single sort of franchise about defence forces and giant monsters? I would love to see any sort of Godzilla, Gamera, Pacific Rim or even Evangelion crossover. That would be perfect.

Last edited:

Mr Dragon

Crazy Dude
As a side note, I've been thinking of this concept for a while: what if there was a gigantic crossover between every single sort of franchise about defence forces and giant monsters? I would love to see any sort of Godzilla, Gamera, Pacific Rim or even Evangelion crossover. That would be perfect.

Guillermo Del Toro, Pacific Rim's director, expressed interest in creating a Pacific Rim/Godzilla crossover, which probably wouldn't be too hard to push, since they're both handled by the same production company.

Nightmareisalive

Saw the film today with my little bro and while I liked it I felt it fails to reach great heights in terms of movie quality. The opening was good and kind of had a horror feel to it with the clips of the nuclear testing and the drama Joe goes through sets him up to be an interesting character. The film loses focus though when the film starts to focus more on Joe's son Ford who happens to be in the army and is an expert on bombs. It feels way to Americanized at that point and Ford becomes the typical American hero character and it becomes stale. I thought that not showing Godzilla fully until the major battle scene would of been good except they did show us him half way in the movie and it was disappointing when his battle with the first MUTO is not fully shown. The battle that takes place at the end is great and the ending I liked.

They should never of killed Joe. He was the one interesting human character in it since he had some depth and all the others filled the trope of characters that there are in a American films where the army or Navy get involved. Letting Joe be the main character would of been great and having Ford's role in the film smaller would of made it so much better. I really have no idea what the writers were thinking when they give Ford as much screen time as he had (were they trying to help make the story of Godzilla familiar to an American audience?)

I give it an 7/10 though I think at times 6/10 would be better. I don't know why but I felt throughout the film that a truly great movie was trying to burst out but just couldn't because of the amount of time spent of human characters and stereotypes in the American films.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."

I honestly wouldn't hold my breath over it even though this movie and Pacific Rim are from the same company, and people are talking about the possibility of a crossover. There is a new Gamera movie expected to hit Japanese theaters next year, so if we're lucky, we might see that come overseas, and if that does well, perhaps Toho and Daiei will finally come together and pit their monsters against one-another like Godzilla and King Kong were pitted against each other long ago.

But Evangelion? Seriously? Just because Pacific Rim is the closest to a spiritual successor we're ever going to get doesn't automatically mean Evangelion will have a crossover. It honestly doesn't need a crossover even with Gainax' other productions, as well as Trigger's. (Also, there was talk of a live-action Evangelion movie that looks like is never going to happen anyway. Fan fiction/fan-art is the way to go in this case.)

Just as long as King Ghidorah makes a return, I don't care what happens. (Even though I'm always secretly hoping for Mothra.)

Shneak

this is a Nessa x Sonia stan account ✨
I'm surprised at how much I liked the MUTOs. I expected them to be filler monsters for Godzilla to trash, but they were probably the most emotional aspect of the movie. When they met and kissed I actually said "awww." And mommy MUTO crying over the eggs burning was actually pretty sad. I kind of wanted to see her go on a momma bear revenge spree and kill Ford.

Momma MUTO's death was insane though.

That being said, I wish I cared more for Godzilla. Apparently he's just lazy and doesn't care about humans until the MUTOs break loose. Then he goes on a hunting mission and we're supposed to care when he almost dies.