• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Upcoming gym battles thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
I think they don't want to have ash use him because it would make it almost too easy. I mean what could avalugg do to ****ing talonflame?

Well since this is the anime, things often end up being unexpected. So even if Ash uses Talonflame I still think he could have a hard time against Wulfric's ice pokemon if for instance Wulfric has specific counters against fire types.

jrizza88

Meteorite
Well since this is the anime, things often end up being unexpected. So even if Ash uses Talonflame I still think he could have a hard time against Wulfric's ice pokemon if for instance Wulfric has specific counters against fire types.

he definitely will / should. I am sure one of them will know a random rock or electric move to give Talonflame a hard time. Also, since Talonflame is half Ice/Fire it definitely means the attacks are neutral...

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan
he definitely will / should. I am sure one of them will know a random rock or electric move to give Talonflame a hard time. Also, since Talonflame is half Ice/Fire it definitely means the attacks are neutral...

Talonflame is Fire/Flying. I think Talonflame should be used in the last gym with Pikachu and Greninja.

KKS-Lapras

I expect the star of this gym to be either Ash-Greninja, or Noivern. I really don't believe Pikachu will star this time around, and Talonflame would be too obvious. Hawlucha could, but it seems much less likely.

GalladeRocks

Son of a Beach
I'm still not entirely sure what to expect for Ash's third against Wulfric. I'm definitely expecting Pikachu and Greninja, with one of them starring, but I'm torn between Noivern and Talonflame. On the one hand, Noivern is much more in need of a Gym battle, or just an official battle in general, and I think they could definitely give it a win against Abomasnow or Cryogonal; maybe they could even have it star, though I don't think it's super-likely. On the other hand, Talonflame is an extremely obvious choice for the battle and it'd be kind of weird for Ash not to go for it (though as I've said before, I think Talonflame would quite possibly be the fall guy; Abomasnow with Rock Tomb, Avalugg with Stone Edge, etc.). And I expect Noivern to get a good showing at the League anyway, probably starring in a battle, so I don't think it would be too terrible if it got left out of the Gym.

As for the idea of Wulfric using Articuno, I admit, it would sort of make sense. I don't think it's super likely, but it wouldn't surprise me. I would honestly rather they just use his game team, though, Ash has fought Articuno before and I'd rather see Avalugg getting the starring role, or even Mega Abomasnow. Unless Ash uses his sixth and it evolves in battle against Articuno to really complete the trilogy.

diakyu

I think Noivern should get some special billing in the last gym. It's no surprise that Greninja will likely be the big star against Sawyer at the league vs Mega Sceptile. If they keep this five man band going and don't let Noivern star then they will have dropped the ball entirely when it comes to letting each of his Pokemon star in at least one gym battle (Talonflame co-stared but it has also been in seven gym battles this series, making him the best treated out of all of Ash's birds when it comes to gyms). I really hope Wulfric is given a Mega Abomasnow, keeps his Avalugg, and replaces Cryogonal with a Weavile. Mega Abomasnow can go to Noivern after defeating Greninja, Greninja can defeat Weavile (I'm picturing an intense battle of speed), and Hawlucha or Pikachu can take Avalugg.

Last edited:

Vincentium

Beyond Evolution
Ash-Greninja is going to have a huge spotlight here. Not to mention that the Gym battle is possibly after Greninja masters the form or something. I do hope that Noivern will get something from the battle episode, too. I kinda hope that it'll win over something in Wulfric's team and a showcase of its improved echolocation skills in battle. Pikachu is probably going to sit this one out, as well. If not, then he will be taking either of the two left since Talonflame and Hawlucha are very obvious choices for type advantage (I know it's not really a factor in the anime series, but they do mention it from time to time).

diakyu

Ash should use Greninja, Pikachu and Talonflame. If he needs a fourth pokemon then Hawlucha would be the best option.
Why? Because of the typing?

ShinyCharyZard

Too old for your rubbish..
Let's not forget Ash's team for the Snowpoint gym, where everyone thought Ash would use a team that made sense, including Pikachu and Buizel (Ice A-J), when he actually ended up using Grotle and Gliscor..

So a team of Talonflame, Hawlucha, Noivern and Pikachu wouldn't surprise me. Greninja is going to get battle spotlight outside of the gym..

nickdt

It seems like they put so much emphasis on a five team squad, that the Wulfric battle can at least be a five on five battle.

Cryogonal vs Noivern - Noivern wins and is recalled
Weavile vs Greninja (Ash form doesn't kick in). Greninja wins and is recalled
Lapras vs Talonflame - Draw
Avalugg vs Pikachu - Avalugg wins
Avalugg vs Hawlucha - Hawlucha wins
Abomasnow vs Hawlucha - Abomasnow wins
Abomasnow vs Noivern - Abomasnow wins
Mega Abomasnow vs Ash-Greninja - Ash Greninja wins.

This is how i can see the battle unfold. Although the spots of Weavile and Lapras can be taken by other pokemon and the match-ups doesn't have to be exactly the same, although i am convinced the final matchup will be Mega Abomasnow vs Ash-Greninja (If Ash-Greninja didn't master his form against Articuno/before the gym, it can happen here).

jrizza88

Meteorite
Let's not forget Ash's team for the Snowpoint gym, where everyone thought Ash would use a team that made sense, including Pikachu and Buizel (Ice A-J), when he actually ended up using Grotle and Gliscor..

So a team of Talonflame, Hawlucha, Noivern and Pikachu wouldn't surprise me. Greninja is going to get battle spotlight outside of the gym..

I still think it would be Talonflame or Hawlucha, Noivern, Pikachu and Ash-Greninja although I do like your battle scenario since Greninja gets a ton of battle focus.

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan
Noivern would be instant knock out if used in ice gym. Pikachu with Iron Tail, Hawlucha with fighting move, Talonflame with fire attack and Greninja with resistance to ice are better options.

Lord Trollbias

Y'all Salty Bishes
Noivern would be instant knock out if used in ice gym. Pikachu with Iron Tail, Hawlucha with fighting move, Talonflame with fire attack and Greninja with resistance to ice are better options.
Hawlucha in Electric and Fairy Gym, Frogadier in Grass Gym all suggest otherwise. And if we look at past sagas Grotle vs. Candice, Krookrok vs. Brycen, etc... People need to stop acting like the type chart determines all in the anime. Writers could easily have Noivern star here if they wanted to.

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
Hawlucha in Electric and Fairy Gym, Frogadier in Grass Gym all suggest otherwise. And if we look at past sagas Grotle vs. Candice, Krookrok vs. Brycen, etc... People need to stop acting like the type chart determines all in the anime. Writers could easily have Noivern star here if they wanted to.

And they should have Noivern star. Unless Ash-Greninja is that more important.

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan
Ice takes out a Flying/Dragon pokemon. Noivern is unlikely to last against any of Wulfric's pokemon. Plus it doesn't need to star in a gym.

ShadowForce720

Ice takes out a Flying/Dragon pokemon. Noivern is unlikely to last against any of Wulfric's pokemon. Plus it doesn't need to star in a gym.

They could always have Noivern learn a type coverage move and have it utilize it's speed. Also Frogadier starred in the 4th gym, and Hawlcuha managed to get a win against Heliolisk in the 5th gym and Hawlucha starred in the 6th gym. In the 4th gym Frogadeir made up for the type disadvantage by mainly using Double Team and Aerial Ace and making it's Water Pulse bigger, while Hawlucha relied on it's fighting type moves to take out Heliolisk which has a weakness to fighting type moves and then Hawlucha was able to star in the 6th gym by countering almost all of Spritzee's moves and they Spritzee take damage from a Steel Wing from Fletchinder before hand.

Either way they can just have Noivern have a type coverage move and utilize it's speed and considering it's other moves at the very least do neutral damage, and if it does face a Mega Abomasnow or a Mega Glalie or a really strong Ice-type then they could have the previous pokemon weakened it. Some people would have said that Talonflame didn't need to star in a gym, and yet it still got a gym to star in.

Status
Not open for further replies.