• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Upcoming gym battles thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
I'm still not entirely sure what to expect for Ash's third against Wulfric. I'm definitely expecting Pikachu and Greninja, with one of them starring, but I'm torn between Noivern and Talonflame. On the one hand, Noivern is much more in need of a Gym battle, or just an official battle in general, and I think they could definitely give it a win against Abomasnow or Cryogonal; maybe they could even have it star, though I don't think it's super-likely. On the other hand, Talonflame is an extremely obvious choice for the battle and it'd be kind of weird for Ash not to go for it (though as I've said before, I think Talonflame would quite possibly be the fall guy; Abomasnow with Rock Tomb, Avalugg with Stone Edge, etc.). And I expect Noivern to get a good showing at the League anyway, probably starring in a battle, so I don't think it would be too terrible if it got left out of the Gym.

As for the idea of Wulfric using Articuno, I admit, it would sort of make sense. I don't think it's super likely, but it wouldn't surprise me. I would honestly rather they just use his game team, though, Ash has fought Articuno before and I'd rather see Avalugg getting the starring role, or even Mega Abomasnow. Unless Ash uses his sixth and it evolves in battle against Articuno to really complete the trilogy.

A long, long time ago.. It's not the animé's fault for there only being three Ice-type legendaries.. Regice could've been an option -be it more recent by a relatively small margin- but Kyurem sure as hell wouldn't be. Considering the birds being in Kalos, they could overlook the Noland battle. And to be honest, the contemporary audience doesn't have BF in their collective memory, simply because they weren't alive when that episode aired. Unless they reaired it during the weekend-show.

I think Noivern should get some special billing in the last gym. It's no surprise that Greninja will likely be the big star against Sawyer at the league vs Mega Sceptile. If they keep this five man band going and don't let Noivern star then they will have dropped the ball entirely when it comes to letting each of his Pokemon star in at least one gym battle (Talonflame co-stared but it has also been in seven gym battles this series, making him the best treated out of all of Ash's birds when it comes to gyms). I really hope Wulfric is given a Mega Abomasnow, keeps his Avalugg, and replaces Cryogonal with a Weavile. Mega Abomasnow can go to Noivern after defeating Greninja, Greninja can defeat Weavile (I'm picturing an intense battle of speed), and Hawlucha or Pikachu can take Avalugg.

To be entirely fair, Noibat was the last to join. I call it a miracle that Gliscor got to star in the Steel-type gym in the region in which the story was all about Ash vs. Paul, with Infernape in the middle. Granted, Chimchar got two wins in that gym..

Let's not forget Ash's team for the Snowpoint gym, where everyone thought Ash would use a team that made sense, including Pikachu and Buizel (Ice A-J), when he actually ended up using Grotle and Gliscor..

So a team of Talonflame, Hawlucha, Noivern and Pikachu wouldn't surprise me. Greninja is going to get battle spotlight outside of the gym..

Where Candice's team didn't make much sense either. People were wondering if they would put the Platinum-team in the animé at that point or not. They didn't do so until Sunyshore, they put in a Medicham.. For which Staraptor was a solid choice. Also, Gliscor had Steel Wing, Fire Fang and X-scissor as attacking moves. Yes, x4 weakness, but it certainly had the tools to do lots of damage to Grass/Ice-types.

Noivern would be instant knock out if used in ice gym. Pikachu with Iron Tail, Hawlucha with fighting move, Talonflame with fire attack and Greninja with resistance to ice are better options.

Perhaps. It's about calculating the possible damage and being able to not get hit. Noivern has proved in the Zapdos battle to be agile as hell. The chances of it avoiding damage are quite high to be frank.

If Cryogonal whips out Freeze-dry, Solarbeam or Signal Beam, then Greninja is just as screwed to be honest. Same with Talonflame, what if Abomasnow hits it with a Rock-type move point blank? What if Abomasnow wrecks Greninja with a Focus Blast or Wood Hammer to the face? Avalugg downs Talonflame with Water Pulse? Greninja with Superpower?

It comes down to whether Ash is capable to manage these challenging situations, just as much as handling the standard Ice-type moves that Wulfric will throw at him. Just look at the Santalune Gym, where Viola had a Surskit with Ice Beam to counter birds, or Vivillon with Solarbeam to counter Rock-types.. In a sense, Ash would be better prepaired to throw Noivern in this battle, knowing what to expect in terms of weaknesses, then Greninja, where Ash could be blindsided by a Superpower to the face out of nowhere. Not to mention the very typical slow enemy that Ash would be facing. Abomasnow and Avalugg are ridiculously slow, and Cryogonal isn't portrayed as being fast. But this is a pitfall, as Avalugg learns Rock Polish (Grant's Onix says hi), and they all learn Icy Wind to counter speedy critters.

Also, Soundproof Abomasnow vs. Noivern. How will Ash answer this problem will be very entertaining.

And they should have Noivern star. Unless Ash-Greninja is that more important.

Ash-Greninja is more important, just like how Blaze was important enough for Sinnoh to not give Gible a gym battle, and not even give Torterra a gym-win where both had immunities just so Infernape could pummel a Jolteon into the ground and then Luxray.. -.-

Ice takes out a Flying/Dragon pokemon. Noivern is unlikely to last against any of Wulfric's pokemon. Plus it doesn't need to star in a gym.

Ice only takes out Flying/Dragon if it hits. Noivern is incredibly speedy. Problem solved? Or maybe Ash will prepare for the obvious disadvantage. Or he will wing it, like Grotle vs. Sneasel, or Hawlucha vs. Spritzee.

riceant

I'm pretty confident that Wulfric will use Avalugg. My main question is whether he will use Articuno or Mega Abomasnow as his ace. Since he is the final gym and Ash is already very strong, anything less would be a disappointment. I don't think he will use both a legendary and a mega. But even still, it would be quite realistic for Ash to beat both Articuno and Mega Abomasnow in an even-strength battle (not the 3v6 Unova crap) if the writers are actually going to have Ash win the league.

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan
I'm pretty confident that Wulfric will use Avalugg. My main question is whether he will use Articuno or Mega Abomasnow as his ace. Since he is the final gym and Ash is already very strong, anything less would be a disappointment. I don't think he will use both a legendary and a mega. But even still, it would be quite realistic for Ash to beat both Articuno and Mega Abomasnow in an even-strength battle (not the 3v6 Unova crap) if the writers are actually going to have Ash win the league.

There is no way they are giving a gym leader a legendary. They are reserved for people like Tobias or Brandon. Mega Abomasnow is most likely.

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
There is no way they are giving a gym leader a legendary. They are reserved for people like Tobias or Brandon. Mega Abomasnow is most likely.

Tobias and Brandon just happened to be the only people we've seen use a legendary, there's nothing logically stopping gym leaders (especially the last few) from using one.

riceant

I have a theory that Ash's performance in the 8th gym is a very good predictor of his success in the league.
Kanto: vs Team Rocket lol, basically a "free" badge --> Gives free win to Ritchie in league
Johto: vs Clair, a real badge, but just an average 8th gym leader (Kingdra, Gyarados, Dragonair), plus Ash used reserves --> Improves and beats Gary (using reserves), but still loses Ro8 to a non-eventual winner
Hoenn: vs Juan, just an average 8th gym leader (mostly weak pokemon except for Milotic), Ash did not use reserves --> reaches Ro8 without reserves, loses close battle to eventual winner, which signifies improvement
Battle Frontier: Using reserves, Ash wins, but no league
Sinnoh: vs Volkner, the strongest gym leader Ash has ever battled, former rival of the Elite Four --> reaches Ro4, loses by to eventual DEM winner
Unova: vs Roxie, below average 8th gym leader (2nd weakest), almost loses a 6v3 --> reaches Ro8, loses 6v5 to a dumbo [see how close the 8th gym mirrors the league loss?]
Kalos: vs Wulfric, we already know he is above average in strength, but will he have Mega Abomasnow or Articuno? Or both? If only one of them, he is near Volkner's level --> Ash places top 4 or runner-up; if both a legendary and mega --> Ash will win the league.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...

And yet a Nurse Joy could have one in the Brock special.

dman_dustin

And yet a Nurse Joy could have one in the Brock special.

Ash currently has nothing on his team that can combat an Articuno, except maybe Talonflame, though I doubt Talonflame will be strong enough.

Would much prefer Mega Abomasnow if Wulfric has to have "that" kind of Pokemon.

diakyu

Ash currently has nothing on his team that can combat an Articuno, except maybe Talonflame, though I doubt Talonflame will be strong enough.
While I'd rather Wulfric have a Mega Abomasnow, Pikachu would have a fighting chance against Articuno no?

jrizza88

Meteorite
While I'd rather Wulfric have a Mega Abomasnow, Pikachu would have a fighting chance against Articuno no?

I really think it would be inappropriate for any gym leader to use a legendary pokemon in a gym battle. Let's just go with a mega pokemon, Avalugg and I guess Crygonal. still hoping to see 1 - 2 more pokemon be used though so that several pokemon get a chance to shine. I assume this battle will happen in end of April or May!

GalladeRocks

Son of a Beach

Would much prefer Mega Abomasnow if Wulfric has to have "that" kind of Pokemon.

Well, they do say that Mega Evolutions are comparable in power to Legendary Pokemon (presumably not the titans like Groudon, Xerneas, etc, but at least the lesser ones like Articuno, Latios, etc), and they've also said/shown that Ash-Greninja is comparable in power to Mega Evolution. In which case, I think Ash-Greninja could be a viable opponent for Articuno as well, especially if Talonflame/Noivern/Hawlucha and Pikachu were to go up against it first.

But I digress, I'd much rather see Avalugg or even Mega Abomasnow as Wulfric's ace. They don't need a Legendary Pokemon to show off Greninja's chops, and going by past anime history, I still think it's pretty likely that Greninja will star regardless. Nevertheless, I'll keep my fingers crossed for Noivern or even Pikachu (since the poor rat rarely ever gets a starring role at the League beyond having a final stand against the League rival's last Pokemon).

Last edited:

KKS-Lapras

I know many of you have your hearts set on Mega-Abomasnow, but I really don't want to see that line used in a gym this time around. We saw it once before.

Rampardo

So Talonflame and Hawlucha are in the lineup for the final gym. I hope Ash uses Noivern as his last!

Watch it be Pikachu and this forum going crazy with hatred. Pikachu hasn't been used since the fight with Clemont, and that's a long time. It's due for some action.

Janovy

Banned
Hell yeah, Hawlucha and Talonflame. I'm already pleased with this gym battle.

Grey Wind

Hell yeah, Hawlucha and Talonflame. I'm already pleased with this gym battle.

I'm really disappointed with them actually. This is Hawlucha's fifth battle and Talonflame's seventh, I would've much preferred to see Greninja and especially Noivern here.

Janovy

Banned
I'm really disappointed with them actually. This is Hawlucha's fifth battle and Talonflame's seventh, I would've much preferred to see Greninja and especially Noivern here.
Greninja is getting a whole arc for itself + the fights with Alain/Diantha/Sawyer so I couldn't care less about its absence.

I would be glad to see Noivern, but given its dual weakness I don't see how long it would last..

Grey Wind

Greninja is getting a whole arc for itself + the fights with Alain/Diantha/Sawyer so I couldn't care less about its absence.

I would be glad to see Noivern, but given its dual weakness I don't see how long it would last..
Yeah, I suppose. I just find it's lack of gym presence kind of weird. And even if it was the fall guy I'd still like to see Noivern get a gym, although it could realistically get a win or a tie.

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
Im hoping talonflame goes after hawlucha because I don't see how he could possibly lose to any of wulfric's.

Status
Not open for further replies.