• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Upcoming gym battles thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GalladeRocks

Son of a Beach
Knowing full well that Pikachu has Iron Tail... why would he not be used in the gym battle vs Valerie? If you reply he wouldn't know weakness, this show already dictates Ash gets stronger offscreen then when he's on it

Agreed, I think Pikachu will likely be used against Valerie, especially if Goodra won't be around at that point. I can see this being his Gym to be the fall guy, though, with Fletchinder and the next capture getting the glory.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
yeah but wasn't the same said for Hawlucha until we started getting closer to the movie airing and him catching Hawlucha. Also another thing to consider is that Goodra is most likely leaving so it wouldn't make sense to have Goodra leave and then have him wait until after the movie airs to give Ash his next capture. So if Goodra leaves then it would make sense that after Goodra leaves that within 10 episodes at the most he will capture his new 5th pokemon.

Why does everyone seem to think Goodra will be leaving? I have seen no proof that it is nor any explaination as to why Ash would let it go. For all we know it'll be another Pikachu's Goodbye if Ash tries to release it.

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
No one is saying that it isn't a battle what we are saying is it doesn't make sense to send out Hawlucha in the 7th gym battle. Also I think it's more likely going to be Frogadier/Greninja and the new 6th capture. while the 5th gym battle will have the new 5th capture in it.

I think people are saying that Hawlucha is likely because it and Froakie are the only two that have used a combination together, Super Flying Cut. Which if Frogadier evolves prior to Olympia, will likely turn into Super Flying Night Slash...

Also, people were talking about Goodra being used against Valerie of all things, yet Hawlucha vs. Psychic isn't an option? It's just as unlikely as Frogadier starring against Ramos, but that still happened. What if it learns X-scissor? Super Flying X-Night Slash! xD

Why does everyone seem to think Goodra will be leaving? I have seen no proof that it is nor any explaination as to why Ash would let it go. For all we know it'll be another Pikachu's Goodbye if Ash tries to release it.

Then you have not been looking...

ShadowForce720

I think people are saying that Hawlucha is likely because it and Froakie are the only two that have used a combination together, Super Flying Cut. Which if Frogadier evolves prior to Olympia, will likely turn into Super Flying Night Slash...

Also, people were talking about Goodra being used against Valerie of all things, yet Hawlucha vs. Psychic isn't an option? It's just as unlikely as Frogadier starring against Ramos, but that still happened. What if it learns X-scissor? Super Flying X-Night Slash! xD

Goodra is most likely going to leave before the 6th gym and even if it didn't I don't see why he would use it in the 6th gym. Also Frogadier starred against Ramos because it had a move that is super effective against grass type pokemon. Hawlucha is the worst choice because it is a fighting type and all of it's moves are close range. Also their is a big difference between going up a grass type and going up against a psychic type you should know that in the anime Psychic types tend to be shown off as being pretty strong I mean look how much trouble in the first gym Vivillion gave Fletchling due to it knowing Psychic. So I don't see how it makes any degree of sense to use Hawlucha in the 7th gym. Also it would make more sense to use Hawlucha in the 8th gym.

Last edited:

yuoke

Treasure huntin'

Pikachu didnt have flashbacks for a ton of episodes leading back up to where he is from with it being attacked, and he wasnt gaining power by wanting to protect his other friends.

GalladeRocks

Son of a Beach
Goodra is most likely going to leave before the 6th gym and even if it didn't I don't see why he would use it in the 6th gym. Also Frogadier starred against Ramos because it had a move that is super effective against grass type pokemon. Hawlucha is the worst choice because it is a fighting type and all of it's moves are close range. Also their is a big difference between going up a grass type and going up against a psychic type you should know that in the anime Psychic types tend to be shown off as being pretty strong I mean look how much trouble in the first gym Vivillion gave Fletchling due to it knowing Psychic. So I don't see how it makes any degree of sense to use Hawlucha in the 7th gym. Also it would make more sense to use Hawlucha in the 8th gym.

The anime has been staying more in line with type advantages this saga than it generally does, but that still doesn't mean that the sensible option will always be the one that Ash takes. For one thing, Hawlucha could have a ranged move by that point, I think it'll get Focus Blast or maybe Stone Edge. But even then, if the writers wanted Hawlucha to somehow pull off a win with purely physical Hawlucha, it could happen, especially given that he's used combo-moves in the past with Frogadier. So I think a tag team of Hawlucha and Frogadier or a new capture (Phantump?) would actually make sense for Olympia. Plus I really don't think Hawlucha will be used against any of the other Gym Leaders. If he does fight Clemont, I expect him to be the fall guy while Pikachu or Goodra nabs an extra win, but I honestly am kind of expecting to see Frogadier in the battle. He is at a disadvantage against Valerie as well, and while I think he could be used there, I don't think it's any more likely than being used against Olympia. And Wulfric I see being saved for Pikachu (the ace), Greninja (starter), and Talonflame (obvious type advantage), or maybe Goodra if it's returned by that point, or even for a potential sixth if Ash gets two more Pokemon this region.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Agreed, I think Pikachu will likely be used against Valerie, especially if Goodra won't be around at that point. I can see this being his Gym to be the fall guy, though, with Fletchinder and the next capture getting the glory.

I think Pikachu'll be used against Valerie, but not simply due to Iron Tail; I simply think it's his birthright at this point. :c

Franckie

I honestly doubt he'll go back there. I mean why does he even need to re-battle the Kalos Gym Leaders that he's already won badges from?

One of the easiest and simplest ways of demonstrating improvement is rematches. We'll see progress for Ash if he has an easier time with said gym leaders during his respective rematches. Also, it could give Ash's other pokemon (the ones who've been Oak'd) more screentime.

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
I think Pikachu'll be used against Valerie, but not simply due to Iron Tail; I simply think it's his birthright at this point. :c

Yea but it's not like he will spam iron tail, so in the end it will be a minimal difference.

Dax

Legend
Yea but it's not like he will spam iron tail, so in the end it will be a minimal difference.

He spams Flame Charge all the time so he could easily order 100 Iron Tails and defeat Valerie. Anything is possible in this world created by God.

Joltik-Kid

Careful? Where's the fun in that?
Of coarse the real gym hogger will be used in Valerie's gym, it's got the biggest advantage of them all with Steel Wing and Fairy resistance

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
One of the easiest and simplest ways of demonstrating improvement is rematches. We'll see progress for Ash if he has an easier time with said gym leaders during his respective rematches. Also, it could give Ash's other pokemon (the ones who've been Oak'd) more screentime.

So he should waste even more time going back to the Chateau to beat Gym Leaders that he's already beaten just to look good instead of simply moving forward? I don't see it tbh. :(

ShadowForce720

The anime has been staying more in line with type advantages this saga than it generally does, but that still doesn't mean that the sensible option will always be the one that Ash takes. For one thing, Hawlucha could have a ranged move by that point, I think it'll get Focus Blast or maybe Stone Edge. But even then, if the writers wanted Hawlucha to somehow pull off a win with purely physical Hawlucha, it could happen, especially given that he's used combo-moves in the past with Frogadier. So I think a tag team of Hawlucha and Frogadier or a new capture (Phantump?) would actually make sense for Olympia. Plus I really don't think Hawlucha will be used against any of the other Gym Leaders. If he does fight Clemont, I expect him to be the fall guy while Pikachu or Goodra nabs an extra win, but I honestly am kind of expecting to see Frogadier in the battle. He is at a disadvantage against Valerie as well, and while I think he could be used there, I don't think it's any more likely than being used against Olympia. And Wulfric I see being saved for Pikachu (the ace), Greninja (starter), and Talonflame (obvious type advantage), or maybe Goodra if it's returned by that point, or even for a potential sixth if Ash gets two more Pokemon this region.

I highly doubt Frogadier is going to be used in the 5th gym battle and also doubt that Hawlucha would be used in the 7th gym battle. Hawlucha is most likely going to be used in the 5th gym battle. Also the writers have been more in line with type advantages it would not make any sense for them to throw that out the window just because you want to see Hawlucha in the 7th gym or Frogadier in the 5th. I mean geez that in no way makes sense although a new capture and Frogadier would make sense for the 7th gym. Listen no matter what way you slice this Frogadier would be the worst choice to be used in the 5th gym battle while Hawlucha would be the worst choice to be used in the 7th gym battle. While Hawlucha did do a combo move with Frogadier when Frogadier was a Froakie that doesn't mean that suddenly Hawlucha would be used in the 7th gym. So Hawlucha learns a ranged move it still wouldn't make much sense to have him be in the 7th gym battle and considering that Psychic types tend to be shown to be really strong and plus Hawlucha's move wouldn't do that much to the Meowstic. Also in the 5th gym battle at least Hawlucha would have a chance to get a win. As to if you send Frogadier out which would mean that it would probably face Heliolisk could easily defeat Frogadier. Also it starting to sound like your just coming up with excuses. Listen considering that type advantages have played a role in the gym battles so far I don't see why type match ups would suddenly not play a role in the reaming gym battles.

jrizza88

Meteorite
So he should waste even more time going back to the Chateau to beat Gym Leaders that he's already beaten just to look good instead of simply moving forward? I don't see it tbh. :(

The only way I could see all these trainers coming back together, is if they made some sort of pre-league thing with this (or post league) and have this be what leads Ash to the battle Mansion? Idk if there will be a post league arc similar to the Battle Frontier, but maybe it wouldn't seem so redundant if the gym leaders battled with fully evolved versions of their pokemon?

GalladeRocks

Son of a Beach
I highly doubt Frogadier is going to be used in the 5th gym battle and also doubt that Hawlucha would be used in the 7th gym battle. Hawlucha is most likely going to be used in the 5th gym battle. Also the writers have been more in line with type advantages it would not make any sense for them to throw that out the window just because you want to see Hawlucha in the 7th gym or Frogadier in the 5th. I mean geez that in no way makes sense although a new capture and Frogadier would make sense for the 7th gym. Listen no matter what way you slice this Frogadier would be the worst choice to be used in the 5th gym battle while Hawlucha would be the worst choice to be used in the 7th gym battle. While Hawlucha did do a combo move with Frogadier when Frogadier was a Froakie that doesn't mean that suddenly Hawlucha would be used in the 7th gym. So Hawlucha learns a ranged move it still wouldn't make much sense to have him be in the 7th gym battle and considering that Psychic types tend to be shown to be really strong and plus Hawlucha's move wouldn't do that much to the Meowstic. Also in the 5th gym battle at least Hawlucha would have a chance to get a win. As to if you send Frogadier out which would mean that it would probably face Heliolisk could easily defeat Frogadier. Also it starting to sound like your just coming up with excuses. Listen considering that type advantages have played a role in the gym battles so far I don't see why type match ups would suddenly not play a role in the reaming gym battles.

I'm not basing my predictions off of what I want, I'm basing them off of what I logically expect to happen. I will admit that the main reason I was excluding Hawlucha from the 5th Gym was that I fully expect the third Pokemon to be the fall guy, and since Hawlucha just was that against Ramos, it seemed better to let that role fall to Frogadier, who has fought Clemont and Electric-types before and has yet to be the fall guy in a Gym. But it seems now that it's been basically confirmed that Hawlucha is the third, so I'll just cross my fingers and hope that he ends up beating Heliolisk, though I honestly doubt it will happen. And I'm still sticking by the prediction of Hawlucha being used against Olympia. He's got double battle experience and as I explained, I really don't think he'll see any action against Valerie or Wulfric, especially with at least one or even two new team members waiting to get their time in the limelight. I'm not saying Hawlucha is going to be taking down a Meowstic single-handedly or anything, but with teamwork and combo attacks, anything is possible. Just look at Hoenn, with Ash beating a Charizard and Quilava using Grovyle and Glalie, or Sinnoh, where Ursula's Plusle and Minun gave Dawn's Mamoswine a run for its money. Just because the Gyms have focused on type advantages so far doesn't mean that every single instance in the saga will go like that. Every region has exceptions to its patterns. I mean, I won't be surprised if Hawlucha ISN'T used, but at the present time, I think it's a likely candidate. Still, that's just my opinion. If you disagree, then I respect that.

Rohanator

Imma make a bold prediction and say that Ash gets a Noibat and uses it VS Valerie's Spritzee. That'd sorta justify Spritzee being Valerie's ace, they're pretty evenly matched size wise and it'd have the classic type disadvantage flavour added as well. The Noibat in the Pikachu Short was placed apart from the other "random" mons in the cast list right? Might belong to the main cast.

Could still be Fletchinder but even then Spritzee looks weak in comparison imo. (though a Bellsprout/Tynamo scenario is of course possible)

blob

Imma make a bold prediction and say that Ash gets a Noibat and uses it VS Valerie's Spritzee. That'd sorta justify Spritzee being Valerie's ace, they're pretty evenly matched size wise and it'd have the classic type disadvantage flavour added as well. The Noibat in the Pikachu Short was placed apart from the other "random" mons in the cast list right? Might belong to the main cast.

Could still be Fletchinder but even then Spritzee looks weak in comparison imo. (though a Bellsprout/Tynamo scenario is of course possible)

But that would mean he has three flying types...
I think his next Pokémon could be Skiddo or Carbink and his last one is a Bergmite.

Vs. Valerie
Skiddo/Carbink vs. Mr. Mime (Mr. Mime)
Fletchinder vs. Mr. Mime (Fletchinder)
Fletchidner vs. Sylveon (Fletchinder recalled)
Frogadier vs. Sylveon (Frogadier)
Frogadier vs. Mawile (Mawile)
Fletchinder vs. Mawile (Fletchinder evolves)
Talonflame vs. Mawile (Talonflame)

Vs. Olympia
Bergmite vs. Sigilyph (Bergmite)
Bergmite vs. Slowking (Slowking)
Pikachu vs. Jynx (Draw)
Gogoat/Carbink vs. Slowking (Gogoat/Carbink)
Gogoat/Carbink vs. Meowstic (Meowstic)
Hawlucha vs. Meowstic (Hawlucha)

Vs. Wulfric
Frogadier vs. Cryogonal (Frogadier recalled)
Hawlucha vs. Cryogonal (Hawlucha)
Hawlucha vs. Beartic (Beartic)
Bergmite vs. Beartic (Bergmite)
Bergmite vs. Cloyster (Bergmite recalled)
Pikachu vs. Cloyster (Pikachu)
Pikachu vs. Abomasnow (Abomasnow)
Frogadier vs. Abomasnow (Abomasnow)
Talonflame vs. Abomasnow (Talonflame)
Talonflame vs. Aurorus (Aurorus)
Gogoat/Carbink vs. Aurorus (Gogoat/Carbink)
Gogoat/Carbink vs. Avalugg (Avalugg)
Bergmite vs. Avalugg (Bergmite evolves)
Avalugg vs. Avalugg (Ash's Avalugg)

ShadowForce720

I think his next Pokémon could be Skiddo or Carbink and his last one is a Bergmite.

Vs. Valerie

Vs. Olympia

Vs. Wulfric

To be fair both Skiddo and Carbink are becoming more and more unlikely so I don't see Ash getting either of them and plus I wouldn't want Ash to get both a Skiddo/Carbink and a Bergmite. Also I can tell you right now to have Skiddo or Carbink as his next capture to fill Goodra's spot would be an extremely bad idea considering that a lot of people will just ignore their good points and instead bashed them because they are filling Goodra's spot and the only pokemon that wouldn't receive as much flak for would Honedge, Tyrunt, Skrelp, and Clauncher as well as perhaps Noibat, Torchic, Floette, Phantump, and Barbaracle. Any pokemon other then those will just get bashed liked crazy. Also I don't see why Hawlucha would be used in the 7th gym battle. Same with Frogadier in the 6th gym battle.

Captain America X

Vs. Valerie

Vs. Olympia
Pikachu vs. Jynx (Draw)

Vs. Wulfric

Minor problem with your 6th gym prediction.Spritzee is confirmed to be used.

Also why would they make Ash's Avalugg star in the final and most important gym and also make Ash's Frogadier of all pokemon the fall guy?

To be fair both Skiddo and Carbink are becoming more and more unlikely so I don't see Ash getting either of them and plus I wouldn't want Ash to get both a Skiddo/Carbink and a Bergmite. Also I can tell you right now to have Skiddo or Carbink as his next capture to fill Goodra's spot would be an extremely bad idea considering that a lot of people will just ignore their good points and instead bashed them because they are filling Goodra's spot and the only pokemon that wouldn't receive as much flak for would Honedge, Tyrunt, Skrelp, and Clauncher as well as perhaps Noibat, Torchic, Floette, Phantump, and Barbaracle. Any pokemon other then those will just get bashed liked crazy. Also I don't see why Hawlucha would be used in the 7th gym battle. Same with Frogadier in the 6th gym battle.

If the 7th gym battle is a 2v2 than teamwork is gonna be more important than type/move advantages right?

Also a pokemon like Frogadier might be used because of his battle style which would do well against Valerie's pokemon.

Last edited:

blob

Minor problem with your 6th gym prediction.Spritzee is confirmed to be used.

Also why would they make Ash's Avalugg star in the final and most important gym and also make Ash's Frogadier of all pokemon the fall guy?

For the same reason as why Grovyle was the fall guy against Juan.

Status
Not open for further replies.