• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Upcoming gym battles thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShadowForce720

Just out of curiosity, but why do you think Honedge seems more likely? Is there some evidence for it that I've missed? Not trying to say that I think Phantump is necessarily more likely, I think they're both possibilities, I'm just not sure if there's something I missed.

Because Honedge resist Fairy type attacks and has a type advantage over Fairy type pokemon. Where as Phantump has more of advantage over the 7th gym and can help with Psychic type pokemon it would make a bit more sense to give Ash a pokemon that can help him more for the upcoming gym rather then one that would mainly help him in the 7th gym and not so much in the 6th.

GalladeRocks

Son of a Beach
Because Honedge resist Fairy type attacks and has a type advantage over Fairy type pokemon. Where as Phantump has more of advantage over the 7th gym and can help with Psychic type pokemon it would make a bit more sense to give Ash a pokemon that can help him more for the upcoming gym rather then one that would mainly help him in the 7th gym and not so much in the 6th.

I don't really think type-advantage has any effect on what Ash catches or when he catches it. They'll have their time to shine no matter what, it doesn't have to be in the first major battle after their capture.

ShadowForce720

I'm thinking that Ash will probably use Pikachu, Fletchinder/Talonflame, and a new 5th capture in the 6th gym battle and that Fletchinder/Talonflame will star.

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
Pulling a Gible is possible. An unevolved pokemon that feats are all league related is not that bad.

Do you remember what Phanpy did in the Johto League? It had two wins, can you tell me which without resorting to Bulbapedia? I sincerely doubt it.. Pulling a Phanpy/Gible is NOT a good idea. Pulling a Glalie isn't that much better but at least it would get one gym appearance, evolve, and then shine in the league.

It's like saying that Scraggy's only feat in the league (a ten second shot of it beating a Darumaka) isn't bad.

It's still not the same line up though, so I'm not sure how that combination would be a bad thing. He'll probably get a new Pokemon by then though, God willing.

That combination isn't bad per sé, but knowing that the writers are back to the point -after they have limited themselves by the release of Goodra-, where they have to return to a small number of possibilities where they've already exhausted all but one is. In every region, Ash had at least five critters before the 6th gym, so having this limited amount of choices to constructing a team was never an issue. I feel that it is here.

Luckily Hawlucha got a credible win in the Lumiose Gym battle, so the wins are now more equally spread between the captures.

Frogadier:
- Onix
- Weepinbell
- Gogoat
Fletchinder:
- Surskit
- Machoke
- Jumpluff
Hawlucha:
- Mienfoo
- Heliolisk

I don't really think type-advantage has any effect on what Ash catches or when he catches it. They'll have their time to shine no matter what, it doesn't have to be in the first major battle after their capture.

Prior to the Bug-type gym, Ash captures a Flying-type, which is super effective and resists Bug-type moves.

Prior to the Fighting-type gym, Ash captures a second Flying-type, which is resistent to Fighting, and also Grass, the gym following it.

Prior to the Grass-type gym, but more importantly the Electric-type gym, Ash captures and fully evolves a Dragon-type, with a good resistance to those types. Sure, doesn't get used in the Grass-type gym, but still follows the same logic of capturing something that could be effective/resist the upcoming gym.

You can't really make that argument considering all his captures after Froakie did just that.

So seemingly, before a gym, Ash captures something that resist it, and since the last two captures, the next gym as well. So what resists Fairy and Psychic? The Steel-type. Which only leaves Honedge.. which by all means he could capture soon, but doesn't use until Olympia ala Goodra.

I'm thinking that Ash will probably use Pikachu, Fletchinder/Talonflame, and a new 5th capture in the 6th gym battle and that Fletchinder/Talonflame will star.

I wouldn't mind this. But with the apparent increase of the pacing, I'm barely holding out hope for that new capture. It needs to happen soon.

Captain America X

Do you remember what Phanpy did in the Johto League? It had two wins, can you tell me which without resorting to Bulbapedia? I sincerely doubt it.. Pulling a Phanpy/Gible is NOT a good idea. Pulling a Glalie isn't that much better but at least it would get one gym appearance, evolve, and then shine in the league.

It's like saying that Scraggy's only feat in the league (a ten second shot of it beating a Darumaka) isn't bad..
To be fair,I can't nearly all of the pokemon wins in Johto other than Charizard,Snorlax and Heracross.

But yeah,your right.It needs a few wins outside of the league .

phanpycross

God-king
Um, there's that fire chick's slugma, annnnnnnnnnnnnd, Um, an unknown Trainer's machoke, I think. And that wasnt checking, since the machoke wasnt mentioned on bulbapedia #Phanpypride

That aside, the Johto league might as well be redubbed the ANTI-Johto league, given that pretty much all of his johto team were mainly used as fall guys for the kanto mons to step in. iirc, the only johto mons who were not used as fall guys were phanpy and heracross. #Heracrosspride

But I do think that everry pokemon Ash catches needs some achivements before the league comes around.

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
To be fair,I can't nearly all of the pokemon wins in Johto other than Charizard,Snorlax and Heracross.

But yeah,your right.It needs a few wins outside of the league .

The best possible solution would be to capture something quick wait and see, and otherwise have a Don Battle-style tournament somewhere before the League.

Um, there's that fire chick's Slugma, annnnnnnnnnnnnd, Um, an unknown Trainer's Machoke, I think. And that wasnt checking, since the machoke wasnt mentioned on bulbapedia #Phanpypride

That aside, the Johto league might as well be redubbed the ANTI-Johto league, given that pretty much all of his johto team were mainly used as fall guys for the kanto mons to step in. Iirc, the only johto mons who were not used as fall guys were phanpy and heracross. #Heracrosspride

But I do think that everry pokemon Ash catches needs some achivements before the league comes around.

Correct, you win a leftover easter egg! :D

If I'm to count from the top of my head:
- Phanpy beating a Machoke and Slugma.
- Cyndaquil beating an Exeggcutor, though was a fallguy vs. Vincent.
- Totodile beat Harrison's Sneasel, though was a fallguy vs. Macey.
- Bayleef beat Harrison's Houndoom, though was a fallgirl vs. Gary
- Heracross beat Gary's Magmar

The only one that didn't win against anything was Noctowl who got sacked by Harrison's Steelix#Johtopride

Which is unsurprising as Ash didn't have a clue what to do with his birds before Taillow evolved.. The sucker sent Pidgeotto into four gym battles, twice against a Rock-type.. Geodude, Starmie, Venomoth and... Rhydon.. Which it managed to beat by what could only be described as a sheer coincidence.

Heck, the guy thought about using Primeape before thinking about using a Flying-type against Erika!

Oh, Donphan and Heracross could be considered fallguys in the Sinnoh League though.. #Hehadtogothere

Last edited:

phanpycross

God-king
The best possible solution would be to capture something quick wait and see, and otherwise have a Don Battle-style tournament somewhere before the League.

Correct, you win a leftover easter egg! :D

If I'm to count from the top of my head:
- Phanpy beating a Machoke and Slugma.
- Cyndaquil beating an Exeggcutor, though was a fallguy vs. Vincent.
- Totodile beat Harrison's Sneasel, though was a fallguy vs. Macey.
- Bayleef beat Harrison's Houndoom, though was a fallgirl vs. Gary
- Heracross beat Gary's Magmar

The only one that didn't win against anything was Noctowl who got sacked by Harrison's Steelix#Johtopride

Which is unsurprising as Ash didn't have a clue what to do with his birds before Taillow evolved.. The sucker sent Pidgeotto into four gym battles, twice against a Rock-type.. Geodude, Starmie, Venomoth and... Rhydon.. Which it managed to beat by what could only be described as a sheer coincidence.

Heck, the guy thought about using Primeape before thinking about using a Flying-type against Erika!

Oh, Donphan and Heracross could be considered fallguys in the Sinnoh League though.. #Hehadtogothere

That's true, but considering it was the main team of the region, I think that the fact that one a single one got a starring victory is utterly insane. Of course having 6 3v3s and 2 6v6s wasnt an option, but still...

dp045

Well seeing how things go I hope in the battle against Valerie pokémon that protagonise it (so the last pokémon standing Ash and has beaten the best of Valerie) is Fletchinder-Talonflame (could have evolved for battle) because it is the only the 3 gyms where I see Fletchinder star in a gym because on 7th apparently serious a double battle so would be perfect for Hawlucha and fifth Pokémon Ash shine and 8th think it would be starring Greninja or such Once Charizard (which also has Mega). In order to account as Frogadier against Ramos has Flectchinder Steel Wing that would help him against Fairies Valerie to weaken and end his signature move that could be Nitro Charge or Brave Bird (if used when evolve in Talonflame). It is obvious that assuming ALL Pokemon Kalos Ash give prominence in battles Gym because against Valerie could be starring Pikachu as it has its Iron Tail, Frogadier to leave as power Ash or even Goodra (if that is not released before).

LizardonX

Banned
Um, there's that fire chick's slugma, annnnnnnnnnnnnd, Um, an unknown Trainer's machoke, I think. And that wasnt checking, since the machoke wasnt mentioned on bulbapedia #Phanpypride

That aside, the Johto league might as well be redubbed the ANTI-Johto league, given that pretty much all of his johto team were mainly used as fall guys for the kanto mons to step in. iirc, the only johto mons who were not used as fall guys were phanpy and heracross. #Heracrosspride

His Johto team was the worst one he's ever had other than heracross, so I'm not that concerned.

ShadowForce720

Well seeing how things go I hope in the battle against Valerie pokémon that protagonise it (so the last pokémon standing Ash and has beaten the best of Valerie) is Fletchinder-Talonflame (could have evolved for battle) because it is the only the 3 gyms where I see Fletchinder star in a gym because on 7th apparently serious a double battle so would be perfect for Hawlucha and fifth Pokémon Ash shine and 8th think it would be starring Greninja or such Once Charizard (which also has Mega). In order to account as Frogadier against Ramos has Flectchinder Steel Wing that would help him against Fairies Valerie to weaken and end his signature move that could be Nitro Charge or Brave Bird (if used when evolve in Talonflame). It is obvious that assuming ALL Pokemon Kalos Ash give prominence in battles Gym because against Valerie could be starring Pikachu as it has its Iron Tail, Frogadier to leave as power Ash or even Goodra (if that is not released before).

I do think that Fletchinder/Talonflame has a good chance at starring in the 6th gym battle however I think the pokemon that will star in the 7th gym battle will be Frogadier/Greninja and the new 6th capture. Oh and I think Ash's new 5th capture will participate in the 6th gym battle but won't star unless Fletchinder/Talonflame doesn't star. Oh and I think the 8th gym battle will be a 6vs6.

His Johto team was the worst one he's ever had other than heracross, so I'm not that concerned.
I think what hurt the Johto Team and why Chikorita was the only Johto pokemon that had evolved during Johto was because of how long Charizard,Squirtle, and Bulbasaur stuck around.

Last edited:

nickdt

If Wulfric has a Mega Abomasnow, its likely Fletchinder/Talonflame who takes it down with Brave Charge (Without the recoil damage). But i agree that Frogadier and Hawlucha and a possible six (If they decide to use four) battle. Hawlucha and Talonflame make the most sense. Frogadier is the starter. Frogadier and Hawlucha can be used against the bulky Avalugg, while one of the two can be used against the speedy Sneasel/Weavile. Depending on the sixth, let it take down or tie against Cryogonal. Hawlucha can star in the sixth gym if it learns Poison Jab before or during the gym, while Honedge/ fifth can take on seventh gym, maybe in a double battle with Greninja. Or maybe the same happens as against Roxie, with Wulfric throw in Avalugg/Cryogonal in with Mega Aboma against Ash six.

ShadowForce720

If Wulfric has a Mega Abomasnow, its likely Fletchinder/Talonflame who takes it down with Brave Charge (Without the recoil damage). But i agree that Frogadier and Hawlucha and a possible six (If they decide to use four) battle. Hawlucha and Talonflame make the most sense. Frogadier is the starter. Frogadier and Hawlucha can be used against the bulky Avalugg, while one of the two can be used against the speedy Sneasel/Weavile. Depending on the sixth, let it take down or tie against Cryogonal. Hawlucha can star in the sixth gym if it learns Poison Jab before or during the gym, while Honedge/ fifth can take on seventh gym, maybe in a double battle with Greninja. Or maybe the same happens as against Roxie, with Wulfric throw in Avalugg/Cryogonal in with Mega Aboma against Ash six.

I still think Fletchinder/Talonflame should star here although I do agree that a fifth capture while I think it could be used in the gym battle against Valerie could star with Greninja in a double battle against the 7th gym leader. Although I think the 8th gym battle should be a 6vs6, maybe the 6th capture stars here or the 5th capture if the 6th starred in the 7th gym battle. Oh here is a though what if the 6th gym battle is a 4vs4?

Absketchum

I think Ash will use Flechinder, frodagier and pikachu in this match unless ofcourse Ash gets a new capture!

Torpoleon

I think Ash will use Flechinder, frodagier and pikachu in this match unless ofcourse Ash gets a new capture!
Agreed. I can't really predict how I think the battle will play out because it seems plausible that Valerie might have a slightly different team than what she uses in XY. That being said, I do hope Fletchinder & Frogadier get a win in the gym. If Pikachu gets a win, cool. If not, I'd be fine with either Fletchinder or Frogadier getting 2 wins. Fletchinder might be better with 2 wins at this point.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.

Against Valerie? Assuming his team doesn't change before fighting her I suppose it would happen; I'd still rather see Pikachu excluded though.

GalladeRocks

Son of a Beach
Prior to the Bug-type gym, Ash captures a Flying-type, which is super effective and resists Bug-type moves.

Prior to the Fighting-type gym, Ash captures a second Flying-type, which is resistent to Fighting, and also Grass, the gym following it.

Prior to the Grass-type gym, but more importantly the Electric-type gym, Ash captures and fully evolves a Dragon-type, with a good resistance to those types. Sure, doesn't get used in the Grass-type gym, but still follows the same logic of capturing something that could be effective/resist the upcoming gym.

You can't really make that argument considering all his captures after Froakie did just that.

So seemingly, before a gym, Ash captures something that resist it, and since the last two captures, the next gym as well. So what resists Fairy and Psychic? The Steel-type. Which only leaves Honedge.. which by all means he could capture soon, but doesn't use until Olympia ala Goodra.

Huh, that's a valid point, I honestly hadn't made those connections. I'm still leaning more toward Phantump, but that does make me admit that Honedge is probably at least as likely.

Against Valerie? Assuming his team doesn't change before fighting her I suppose it would happen; I'd still rather see Pikachu excluded though.

I agree, I'd rather see Frogadier or the potential 6th than Pikachu, but the fact that Pikachu and Fletchinder are the only two on the current team with super-effective moves against Fairy-types makes me think Pikachu will likely be used. I could see him being the fall guy, though. Maybe something like:

Ash vs. Valerie
Fletchinder vs. Sylveon (Fletchinder is recalled)
Pikachu vs. Sylveon (Sylveon)
Frogadier/6th vs. Sylveon (Frogadier/6th)
Frogadier/6th vs. Mawile (Mawile)
Fletchinder vs. Mawile (Fletchinder)
Fletchinder vs. Spritzee/Aromatisse (Fletchinder)

Honestly, I'm having more trouble predicting what Valerie's going to use than anything else. Will an unevolved Spritzee be her main? Is Sylveon just not on her team for some reason? I don't even know what to speculate at this point.

Afrodisiac

break up w yo gf, im bored
I hope a new capture/Hawlucha/Frogadier or even Pikachu -as a last resort- stars vs Valerie. She deserves a real threat imo.

ShadowForce720

I hope a new capture/Hawlucha/Frogadier or even Pikachu -as a last resort- stars vs Valerie. She deserves a real threat imo.

I'm pretty sure that it would the pokemon Ash would use would be a new capture,Pikachu, and Fletchinder/Talonflame with Fletchinder/Talonflame or the new capture starring. Also Fletchinder/Talonflame would be as much of a real threat as Pikachu,Frogadier,Hawlucha, and a new capture. Also I don't see Hawlucha being used here since It is not is not only weak to Fairy type pokemon but all it's moves don't even do a lot of damage to Fairy type pokemon and the only pokemon that it could do some damage to that Valerie may use is Mawile and even then it's moves only do normal damage. Also Hawlucha has got a victory in the 5th gym I do not want it to turn around and be in the 6th gym just to be a fall guy and judging from the pokemon that Valerie would be using it doesn't look good for Hawlucha. Also I don't think Frogadier would be used here since I think they will save it for the 7th gym battle. So I think that really it's going to be Fletchinder/Talonflame, Pikachu, and the new capture as the pokemon that Ash is going to use. Although there is a chance that Pikachu might not get any wins here I think it would just depend on who it winds up facing though.

I agree, I'd rather see Frogadier or the potential 6th than Pikachu, but the fact that Pikachu and Fletchinder are the only two on the current team with super-effective moves against Fairy-types makes me think Pikachu will likely be used. I could see him being the fall guy, though. Maybe something like:

Ash vs. Valerie
Fletchinder vs. Sylveon (Fletchinder is recalled)
Pikachu vs. Sylveon (Sylveon)
Frogadier/6th vs. Sylveon (Frogadier/6th)
Frogadier/6th vs. Mawile (Mawile)
Fletchinder vs. Mawile (Fletchinder)
Fletchinder vs. Spritzee/Aromatisse (Fletchinder)

Honestly, I'm having more trouble predicting what Valerie's going to use than anything else. Will an unevolved Spritzee be her main? Is Sylveon just not on her team for some reason? I don't even know what to speculate at this point.
Yeah I do pretty much agree although I do think it would be the new capture over Frogadier here since I think they will probably save Frogadier for the 7th gym battle.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.