• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Upcoming Manga release thread

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
Has Viz said anything about bringing the manga adaptation of the "I Choose You" movie?

As far as I'm aware, no.

The second volume has yet to come out, so they're probably waiting for that before releasing them.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Thanks.

Before the post with my question, I was lucky to pre-order the last volume of the japanese version on CDJapan and place it alongside the movie blu-ray but since I'm collecting the english versions, I was wondering if Viz had said anything about it.

Here's hoping they release it.

CrimsonCourage

Pokémon Master
Perhaps a stupid question, so forgive me in advance. I'm interested in buying the XY and ORAS arcs of the manga, but the only place that sells it as far as I'm aware is Barnes and Nobles, and they sell those two arcs in the mini volume format. I'd much prefer buying them in the regular full sized volume format, but as far as I'm aware, thsoe don't exist for the XY and ORAS arcs of the manga. Will us American fans be getting the larger volume format or will I simply need to settle for the smaller volumes being sold? Again, sorry if this is a dumb question or if I'm posting it in the wrong place.

lolipiece

Staff member
Perhaps a stupid question, so forgive me in advance. I'm interested in buying the XY and ORAS arcs of the manga, but the only place that sells it as far as I'm aware is Barnes and Nobles, and they sell those two arcs in the mini volume format. I'd much prefer buying them in the regular full sized volume format, but as far as I'm aware, thsoe don't exist for the XY and ORAS arcs of the manga. Will us American fans be getting the larger volume format or will I simply need to settle for the smaller volumes being sold? Again, sorry if this is a dumb question or if I'm posting it in the wrong place.

XY and ORAS won't be collected in Japanese full size releases until B2W2 finishes. Until that happens for Japan, the mini-volumes is all that's available elsewhere.

B2W2 should be finished sometime in 2018, so once that happens, Japan will get the full sized releases sooner or later. Once that happens, VIZ will probably start releasing the full sized volumes as well, but that could take some time.

Last edited:

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
I distinctly remember there being a mention of Horizon getting an English release but now I don't see anything about it. Does anyone remember when that was?

nel3

Crimson Dragon
i know not too many people are looking forward to this but has there been announced a final chapter tally of the Gintama manga? wikipedia goes up to CH 665 to make for 73-74 volumes on the manga. i'll sorely miss the series but it still makes me laugh alot even now but its better to end on a positve note without going stale like other long running series that just fizzled out.

lolipiece

Staff member
i know not too many people are looking forward to this but has there been announced a final chapter tally of the Gintama manga? wikipedia goes up to CH 665 to make for 73-74 volumes on the manga. i'll sorely miss the series but it still makes me laugh alot even now but its better to end on a positve note without going stale like other long running series that just fizzled out.

You seem to be in the wrong section.

This is for Pokemon manga specifically.

nel3

Crimson Dragon

Maxim

Beyond repair
Anyone got those free samples of SM Adventures and Horizon?

I'm interested in how the things were translated (especially Sun's Pokemon nicknames).

lolipiece

Staff member
En is Dollar from what I'm hearing. (Was Cent not an option? It'd be a more accurate localization since a single yen is not the equivalent to a dollar.)

Good ol' Viz and their name switches. Some things never change.

Last edited:

Maxim

Beyond repair
How about Meowth, then? I guess his name wasn't mentioned in that sampler?

I believe the reasoning behind "Dollar" is that the currency of Pokemon universe, referred to as yens in Japanese original is named "PokeDollars" in the English localization. But I wonder what will be the "in-universe" explanation of this nickname (such as the original "En" coming from 炎 "flame"), unless they edit that line somehow (just like they edited-out "Nanyanen" back in Volume 8).

lolipiece

Staff member
Meowth isn't named until chapter 2. I don't have the sampler, so I can only assume it only had chapter one.

Edit: OK, apparently he is named. And apparently, it's "Cent".

And the reason for the name is:

I named it Cent ‘cause it’s so lazy it’s practically worthless."
Sun is ice cold.

Also, where exactly is "Pokedollar" ever used? I hear people use the name a lot, but I can't remember a single in-game usage of it.

Last edited:

Maxim

Beyond repair
Well, the name "Pokemon Dollar" is explicitly mentioned in Colosseum/XD, but in this case I think it was also "Pokemon Dollar" in Japanese (rather than yen, used in the core games).

I believe that the term "PokeDollars" was spread mostly by materials such as game guides, handbooks and online materials that used the name.

Also, Viz has always changed yens to dollars in their translations (such as the prize for the bike race in Vol. 1 being $10,000), so I guess it's a sign of consistency, in a way.

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
Anyone got those free samples of SM Adventures and Horizon?

I'm interested in how the things were translated (especially Sun's Pokemon nicknames).

There was a sample of Horizon? Dang, the Free Comic Book Day I went to didn't have that.

Cyclone

^ where it all began
When I saw the news today on SPP, I got insanely excited thinking that there were going to be movie adaptations of the Pokemon Adventures manga:

SPP said:
The Pokémon Adventures manga and movie adaptations are coming to the digital space officially.

But reading through this thread, I'm assuming it just means that there will be a manga adaptation of the I Choose You movie? ........ Sigh.

Has Viz said anything about bringing the manga adaptation of the "I Choose You" movie?

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.
When I saw the news today on SPP, I got insanely excited thinking that there were going to be movie adaptations of the Pokemon Adventures manga:

But reading through this thread, I'm assuming it just means that there will be a manga adaptation of the I Choose You movie? ........ Sigh.
Um Wait !? Do You dislike the idea of manga has a tie in the Pokemon anime movies ?

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Anyway, the manga adaptation of the I Choose You movie seems to be avaliable on Amazon. I even pre-ordered a copy.

According to the descriptions it has over 300 pages, so I assume it's the two japanese volumes bundled in one package. Nice.