• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Upcoming Manga release thread

rakuichi

Pokemon Adventures Black and White volume 7
Iris is on the spine.

44-The Cold Hard Truth
45-A Cold Reception
46-A Week to go and Old Wounds
47-A Misunderstanding
48-A Lesson ends here
49-Will the truth come out?
50-A Wretched Reunion.

Alder and Buffolaunt on the back.

Need to pick up volume 5.

Interesting…they did not combine the titles of A Cold Reception and A Week to go, but just combined the titles of A Week to go and Old Wounds.

Pacman

Been waiting to post this:

http://www.amazon.com/Pok%C3%A9mon-Adventures-Fire-Green-Emerald/dp/1421582783/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1429234555&sr=1-3&keywords=Pokemon+ADventures

The Firered/Leafgreen and Emerald volumes will be in one boxset. I wonder what the box will look like since it will have two different arcs.

I was wondering when they will release FR/LF and Emerald in a boxset. But, I wonder...what about the HG/SS arc? I know it was just 2 volumes, but it will be odd if they release all the arcs in boxsets but not that one. They could of included it in with FR/LG/Emerald I guess. Since I think timeline wise HG/SS happen before D/P/P arc. I guess we will see.

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
I was wondering when they will release FR/LF and Emerald in a boxset. But, I wonder...what about the HG/SS arc? I know it was just 2 volumes, but it will be odd if they release all the arcs in boxsets but not that one. They could of included it in with FR/LG/Emerald I guess. Since I think timeline wise HG/SS happen before D/P/P arc. I guess we will see.

I doubt they'll have a boxset for HGSS. It's only two volumes after all. But I do like those boxsets on their appearances. If I had been collecting these volumes beforehand I would have bought the boxsets whole.

Majiata

The third volume of the XY chapter of PokéSpe hasn't been announced in Japan yet, has it? I was wondering because that volume has been announced for December 14 (as listed on amazon.de), and Panini seems to stick to the amount of rounds as in the japanese volumes (since they list the volumes for having 196 pages and the first volume, which is coming out at the end of May, will cost as much as the second to fourth volumes of the german BW chapter volumes).

Kibamaru

Water PokéTrainer
Hey guys, I have some questions about which editions should I get.

I live in Singapore so I have a choice between Vizmedia and Shogakukan's editions. Are there differences between the 2 or do they use the same translation scripts??

I collected a lot of the old Chuang Yi versions years ago up to Gen 3 titles. I enjoyed their superior book/paper quality more compared to books produced by Viz (which uses the typical rough yellow-brown paper that fluffs up the books after flipping pages, and pics aren't a proper white background. This was 10 years ago though, has the quality improved? Mangas are shrink-wrapped so I can't tell at bookstores.

Thanks a lot!!

SmartD

Pokemon Adventures Vol. 28 came out today. Does anyone know what the English titles are?

I live in Singapore so I have a choice between Vizmedia and Shogakukan's editions. Are there differences between the 2 or do they use the same translation scripts??

I collected a lot of the old Chuang Yi versions years ago up to Gen 3 titles. I enjoyed their superior book/paper quality more compared to books produced by Viz (which uses the typical rough yellow-brown paper that fluffs up the books after flipping pages, and pics aren't a proper white background. This was 10 years ago though, has the quality improved? Mangas are shrink-wrapped so I can't tell at bookstores.

Thanks a lot!!

I know the Viz Media translations are different from the Chuang Yi ones, but I never saw the Shogakukan translations, so I can't say.

blob

Thanks a lot!!

The books Viz produce are of lower quality, but read in the right direction. Though, the covers are slightly different and the back covers sometimes have different artwork at the back.

As for changes, some scenes have been censored (Green's pokéboobs in the original trilogy) and most Pokémon's nick names have been changed, as well as some of the supporting cast's names.

It also depends on how much money you're willing to spend, as the Asian books cost more money to buy due to the import fees and Viz books are more local, so that may be a better option.

Last edited:

Emperor Empoleon

Honor of Kalos
Amazon has BW Box Set 3 scheduled for the 1st of September. Been waiting for this one.

ElectricBassClef

I live in Singapore so I have a choice between Vizmedia and Shogakukan's editions...

Yeah, as the others have mentioned, Viz and Chaung Yi use different translation scripts. (Also, the most recent volumes are translated by Shogakukan Asia rather than Chuang Yi.) [Edit: you already said that in your post. My bad.] The Singaporean translation flips the pages, as you'll already know, but it stopped doing that around Vol. 40 or 41. Viz did it for its first edition printings--those are the ones you're probably familiar with--but the ones currently available read right to left. I'm not sure if the Viz books these days are higher quality than the first editions that would've been available a decade ago. The current ones feature a soft cover, stiff paper covered in a thin layer of protective plastic. The pages are off-white. I'm including a picture of a page from Vol. 28 in this post to show off some weird censorship, so you might be able to get an idea of the quality of the pages.

Both companies have translated up to Vol. 49 so far (out of 52 released in Japan). However, Viz has been playing catch-up and publishing out of order--Vol. 28 just came out today, and Vol. 29 and Vol. 50 are both coming out on July 7th. Because of this, volumes 30 and onwards are not in the correct order--Vol. 30 is listed as Pokémon Adventures Diamond and Pearl/Platinum Vol. 1 and 31-40 are listed as 2-11. The later story arcs have been handled similarly. Because of that, they'll also cut volumes in half. For instance, Vol. 43 contains the end of the HeartGold/SoulSilver arc and the beginning of the Black and White arc, so they put the first half into the end of Vol. 42, AKA HGSS Vol. 2, and sold the other half as B&W Vol. 1. Chuang Yi/Shogakukan doesn't do that. Viz also practices censorship, as I already mentioned. If you want to learn more about Viz's translations, we talk a lot about them in this thread.

Pokemon Adventures Vol. 28 came out today. Does anyone know what the English titles are?

Speaking of which... I got (Viz's version of) Pokémon Adventures Vol. 28 today! Chapter titles are:

Adventure 318: Sneaky Like Shedinja II

Adventure 319: Verily Vanquishing Vileplume I

Adventure 320: Verily Vanquishing Vileplume II

Adventure 321: Cunning Kirlia

Adventure 322: Susceptible to Sceptile

Adventure 323: A Cheeky Charizard Change-Up I

Adventure 324: A Cheeky Charizard Change-Up II

Adventure 325: Standing in the Way with Starmie

Adventure 326: Lemme at 'Em, Lapras!

Adventure 327: Facing Gulpin is Hard to Swallow

For those of you who are wondering how they handled that "Emerald pees on Ruby and Sapphire" scene... They altered the artwork so that Emerald is dumping a soda can off the roof. And yes, he's holding it at groin level. They alter the dialogue to include a PSA about not drinking too much soda. I am serious. You don't have to take my word for it, either: check it out!

IMG_1954.jpg

I love how even Sceptile seems to be exasperated with this ridiculous line. Yes, it still makes a rainbow. And yes, Ruby still freaks out at the idea that he might have gotten soda on him. That's...not actually really out of character for Ruby. (Sapphire tells him "This ain't no time to cry over spilled soda!") I think this might be my favourite edit yet, though the lightning blasting Ruby away was pretty good.

Other than that, I don't think there's anything of note in the book.

Last edited:

Flintoff Cypress

Premium Ice Cream
For those of you who are wondering how they handled that "Emerald pees on Ruby and Sapphire" scene... They altered the artwork so that Emerald is dumping a soda can off the roof. And yes, he's holding it at groin level. They alter the dialogue to include a PSA about not drinking too much soda. I am serious. You don't have to take my word for it, either: check it out!

I would like to think that it was a soda can full of pee. See, everybody wins!

On a serious note, now I'm curious to see what Viz is going to do when they bring over the latest ORAS chapter. My guess is that they're going to change it to a PSA about not drinking energy drinks or something like that.

Kibamaru

Water PokéTrainer
Thanks for the input on the ChuangYi/Shogakukan and Viz books differences. Yeah in Singapore prices are switched here. The Asian English books costs $9 while Viz books go between $14-$17 in bookstores. I love the fact that Viz produces them in the right reading format, and they have boxsets which ends up being cheaper than even the Asian books. Only downside is that Viz books have a lower quality, with softcovers instead of cardboard with dust jackets.

pika09

EEEEEHHHHH???
Thanks for the input on the ChuangYi/Shogakukan and Viz books differences. Yeah in Singapore prices are switched here. The Asian English books costs $9 while Viz books go between $14-$17 in bookstores. I love the fact that Viz produces them in the right reading format, and they have boxsets which ends up being cheaper than even the Asian books. Only downside is that Viz books have a lower quality, with softcovers instead of cardboard with dust jackets.

Hey there! Just want to add that I live in the Philippines, and same as you, the ChuangYi/Shogakukan books are cheaper than the Viz ones here. I have the CY version of volumes 1-41 and the SA version of 43 and 44. Though ChuangYi initially published PokeSpe in left-to-right format, starting from volume 41, they finally switched over to the "proper" right-to-left format. Shogakukan Asia basically just continued from where ChuangYi left off, so practically everything is intact. The books are now in a right-to-left format, plus, SA also kept the correct covers and color pages and there's no censorship too. Also, for now SA is ahead of Viz in that they've already released up to volume 49.

...you might find quite a bit of grammar and spelling mistakes though.

View attachment 14601

I love how even Sceptile seems to be exasperated with this ridiculous line. Yes, it still makes a rainbow. And yes, Ruby still freaks out at the idea that he might have gotten soda on him. That's...not actually really out of character for Ruby. (Sapphire tells him "This ain't no time to cry over spilled soda!") I think this might be my favourite edit yet, though the lightning blasting Ruby away was pretty good.

Other than that, I don't think there's anything of note in the book.
Was that squiggly line in the original?

ElectricBassClef

Was that squiggly line in the original?

Yeah. I didn't include the whole page in my picture. The squiggly line is inside a speech bubble coming from Ruby and Sapphire, who are expressing their wordless horror at seeing Emerald peeing off the roof dumping a can of soda. It's not only in the original, but it makes more sense in the original because Emerald is actually doing something disgusting.

1dbad

~The Blizzard Prince
Wow. As if that wasn't already one of their most bizarre edits, they honestly had to include a PSA about not drinking too much soda? I'm...just...speechless lol.

ElectricBassClef

Wow. As if that wasn't already one of their most bizarre edits, they honestly had to include a PSA about not drinking too much soda? I'm...just...speechless lol.

It's a work of art. It's the most Viz thing I've ever seen.

Briankelly130

It's almost to the point of parody, like they had to censor it out but tried to make it as comedic and ridiculous as possible so add that PSA in there. I kind of want to hear someone go "Tonight, on a very special Pokemon Adventures"

Ryleigh

They annouce XY Vol.3 will release in 26th June which include July CCI plot in the last chapter.

Plz Check next month manga release date in Shogakukan website because I cannot post any link. TT

ElectricBassClef