• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Upgrading to a gaming computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrysaries

Former shiny trader
Hi guys! I have a pretty bad stationary PC right now (windows Vista) with IntelCore Duo. I lag awfully alot on Low graphic settings on World of Warcraft and I also lag on Warcraft 3 which is flat-out embarrassing. I have a decent choice at 8000 swedish kronor http://www.dell.com/se/p/xps-8500/pd.aspx?c=se&cs=sedhs1&l=sv&s=dhs&~ck=mn This badboy has IntelCore i5 but only 4gb RAM. As you might see I learned all these terms and basic, basic knowledge TODAY from my computer friend :p But I have three questions:

1: I only have 12 megabit/second internet connection, is that enough to play online games like World of Warcraft or might that be a vital reason for my lagging?

2: Is my choice of computer good? 4gb RAM doesn't seem very impressive for the high pricetag of the computer

3: Own suggestions for a good computer! What do you use? Are you happy with that one?

;462; Thanks for the help :D ;462;

ChedWick

1: Yes, 12 meg is fine. I played WoW, BF3, SC2 and other games at college with 10meg.
2: I unfortunately don't have a clue about conversion rates so I can't say for sure but 8000 kr seems to be about $1200 US. For those base specs, that is high. 4gigs is fine and not really something you want to base your purchase off of when buying a desktop. You can double the ram for cheap. As low as $40 US or 262 kr.
3: I run a custom built rig. Don't buy dell. They are notoriously expensive and unreliable. If you can try more tech related site like newegg or tiger direct. I'm not sure what Sweden is like but you may be able to get shipping there if they don't have a Swedish business model.

Djura

99% chance to hit
What he said. Anything prebuilt is a no-go. Yes, this includes Alienware.

Gaming computers nowadays have 8GB of RAM minimum. You can probably get something around $1500-1700 USD/9840-11152 kr with a build like this:
Asus P8Z77-V (Pro)/Maximus V Gene (this one's a smaller form factor mobo so you won't be able to fit as much onto it, but it's touted as a gaming mobo for smaller builds)
Intel Core i5-2500K (don't go i7-2600K or better unless you use threaded apps a lot)
Asus GTX 670 DC2 (alt., MSI GTX 660 Ti PE/OC for a better price performance ratio)
G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB PC3 12800
Noctua NH-D14
Corsair AX750
Plextor M5P 128GB solid-state drive (put your OS and your most-used non-gaming apps on it)
2TB HDD (since the flooding in Thailand HDD prices have been rollercoastering, with WD taking the biggest hit)
NZXT Phantom 410
DVD-RW drive. Definitely need this.

Regardless of whether you buy aftermarket fans or not, buy filters for them as well. The Phantom 410 has a front 120mm, a top 140mm, and some models have a side 120/140mm. Buy whatever you need for intake fans, not exhaust, preferably Silverstone.

Last edited:

Chrysaries

Former shiny trader
Thanks alot for the replies. But 11k kronor is too much I'm afraid :/ It's my parents paying and they are already hesitating at 8000sek. Newegg doesn't deliver to Sweden sadly, but I'm pretty sure I can find the same parts here, but more expensive. Why is prebuild so hated? :p Is it because you get all the parts more expensive?

Ok, this is kinda my final choice unless someone thinks it's absolute crap and has an explaination :p http://www.inet.se/produkt/1517090/taurus-experienced-gtx-560-i5-3450 it's better than the Dell. Dunno if you can select english as language, you might be unable to read :p

Last edited:

Djura

99% chance to hit
Prebuilts are universally loathed as gaming computers partially due to the reason you listed. Some parts are proprietary, and can't be replaced by the end user. The quality of parts are usually questionable, as Original End Manufacturers just make it pass a benchmark test and not quality control and ship it off. They also usually charge more for replacement parts versus something you can just get off the market. There's also bloatware that they load up and it's annoying to get rid of.

Building one allows you to set your own budget, and the experience in putting one together helps if you want to modify your computer on the fly. However, they come with absolutely no software, so you're going to have to pay for an operating system, as well as download whatever freeware, including security and office suites, off the Internet. Support will also be limited to the individual parts and not the whole computer.

I've read the specs as well. Not too awfully shabby, but there's a few things I want to ask:

- How much storage capacity do you need, anyway? You can probably knock it down 500GB to a TB, and cross the solid-state drive off the list, since you won't care for boot times until later down the road.
- Do you plan to overclock? If no, get the i5-3450/3470, and the Hyper 212 Evo as your cooler instead of the NH-D14.
- GTX 560 SE is pretty old. You planning to play anything other than World of Warcraft? If so, get one, replace it with a GTX 560 Ti. 560 SE's OEM. If not, if you can burn a little more cash, get a 660 Ti.
- If you do plan to build, do you need to use an OS license more than once? If not, get the OEM disk.

Anyway, this neat little guide might be able to help a bit more. Unfortunately, it's also in USD, so there's that. Compare prices on your end, an OEM system versus a built one, and what it'll do for you on the long run.

Chrysaries

Former shiny trader
Prebuilts are universally loathed as gaming computers partially due to the reason you listed. Some parts are proprietary, and can't be replaced by the end user. The quality of parts are usually questionable, as Original End Manufacturers just make it pass a benchmark test and not quality control and ship it off. They also usually charge more for replacement parts versus something you can just get off the market. There's also bloatware that they load up and it's annoying to get rid of.

Building one allows you to set your own budget, and the experience in putting one together helps if you want to modify your computer on the fly. However, they come with absolutely no software, so you're going to have to pay for an operating system, as well as download whatever freeware, including security and office suites, off the Internet. Support will also be limited to the individual parts and not the whole computer.

I've read the specs as well. Not too awfully shabby, but there's a few things I want to ask:

- How much storage capacity do you need, anyway? You can probably knock it down 500GB to a TB, and cross the solid-state drive off the list, since you won't care for boot times until later down the road.
- Do you plan to overclock? If no, get the i5-3450/3470, and the Hyper 212 Evo as your cooler instead of the NH-D14.
- GTX 560 SE is pretty old. You planning to play anything other than World of Warcraft? If so, get one, replace it with a GTX 560 Ti. 560 SE's OEM. If not, if you can burn a little more cash, get a 660 Ti.
- If you do plan to build, do you need to use an OS license more than once? If not, get the OEM disk.

Anyway, this neat little guide might be able to help a bit more. Unfortunately, it's also in USD, so there's that. Compare prices on your end, an OEM system versus a built one, and what it'll do for you on the long run.

The place where I would buy the Taurus Experienced offers self built stuff. You choose the parts and the build it for you for 800kr. I could choose everything myself sure, I'll check it out. And about the memory, I don't plan to download more than games and mp3 so there's not a huge amount needed. We will keep the computer I'm on now for stuff that's not gaming

Right now they have a neat offer. Custom build a computer with IntelCore i7 and Intel SSD and they put it togheter for free

Edit/update at 3rd October:
Hopefully we are going to buy the new computer this weekend and it's the Taurus one. GeForce GTX 650 (Nvidia) graphic card, IntelCore i5 and more info in the link. I hope it will be a good purchase and that it will last long

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.