• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

US/UM bug or glitch discoveries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yknot

Дми́трий Дми́триевич
I didn't see a thread for this so here it is. Post bugs or glitches you find in the game. This is not for discussing external devices since it is against serebii policy to discuss those. In game bugs or glitches only

Here's what I found:

I finished UM and have access to the move tutors now except battle tree.

I was teaching my level 1 likitung the punch moves from the tutors and I wanted all three punches however since likitung only knew 2 moves fire punch and lick, when I would go to teach her thunder punch it would learn thunder punch, but instead of having three moves it would delete fire punch instead. so only having thunderpunch and lick now. Same thing with ice punch.

The workaround I used was to heartscale it and TM it additional moves so it had 4 moves. After that I could choose what moves to delete and have all the punches.

I suspect this is a glitch and not a restrictions since there is a workaround.

I don't have time to further test on other moves or if it is just a weird glitch with the punches.

I probably won't have good internet till Sunday so if someone wants to further test it with other level 1 pokemon with only 1 move and with different ultra S/M move tutors that would be great.

Also, I thought that move tutor moves were heartscaleable previously just like egg moves but that does not seem to be the case at least with my likitong. heart scale did not bring back thunderpunch when I deleted it.

nel3

Crimson Dragon
there is another glitch in the game thats scary but not game breaking. the ditto chef glitch, talk to disguised ditto at the wrong (both sides) 45 degree angle and you'll be frozen from your player controls for around 30-40 seconds after the defeated ditto runs away/faints. the late chef will keep trying to run past you. you can youtube ditto chef glitch if you want. after a time (30 seconds??) you'll get back control and the dialog continues on. from what the vid explains, if you talk to the chef head on you wont have any issues.

Last edited:

Yknot

Дми́трий Дми́триевич
there is another glitch in the game thats scary but not game breaking. the ditto chef glitch, talk to disguised ditto at the wrong (both sides) 45 degree angle and you'll be frozen from your player controls for around 30-40 seconds after the defeated ditto runs away/faints. the late chef will keep trying to run past you. you can youtube ditto chef glitch if you want. after a time (30 seconds??) you'll get back control and the dialog continues on.

oh wow that's pretty scary! I wonder if it is due to the game not being optimized well for the 3DS. I heard boss fights lag even on the New3dsxl. I definitely had bad lag on boss fights on my redular 3DS.

nel3

Crimson Dragon
oh wow that's pretty scary! I wonder if it is due to the game not being optimized well for the 3DS. I heard boss fights lag even on the New3dsxl. I definitely had bad lag on boss fights on my redular 3DS.

i wouldn't know about the other USUM glitches as i havent even come close to getting either version yet. it feasible if i get it for the move tutors and legends (cant bother to transfer them) but i got a few things left to do in sun before i consider it.

my scariest glitch was in pkmn X when riding the bike on route 14 i ran the bike into the marsh about dead center where you're taking up the only open spot. im surrounded on all 3 sides while on the bike and i had no character controls. i was forced to shut off the 3ds and continue on with my previous save point. no damage was dont to the file thankfully and i'll never run with a bike in the marshlands again.

DJStarstryker

That wouldn't be optimization. That would be a programming error. The NPC has nowhere to go, the game gets confused, and soft-locks. I imagine they'll fix in an upcoming patch.

Lykouros

Sandslash fan
A recent glitch I just faced yesterday was my game freezing mid-save in the Pokemon center right outside the water trial. The music kept playing but nothing else was loading. I had to force shut off my game, and lost progress back to the most recent save before that one.

Zipper4242

Bewear is the most powerful being in the universe.
THIS:

???.jpg
I died laughing!!! (Taken from my Citra emu for a better pic :))

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
There is a well known glitch among people who SR for Litten at the beginning of the game.

Sometimes, right after the "You choose Litten!" dialogue, instead of going to the "would you nickname" screen, the screen would just go blank. The music still plays, but you can't do anything other than turning off the console.

It seems the problem is Litten specific, as I never see anyone who SR for Popplio or Rowlet complaining about the same problem.
In fact, I was SR-ing for Litten, and got the same issue. After getting tired with the blank screen issue, I switched to Rowlet and I never see the blank screen again.

Yknot

Дми́трий Дми́триевич
Ion Deluge straight up doesn't work, ever

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Ion_Deluge_(move)

I believe it only works for the turn it was used. So mostly good for double battles or agains the opponent that turn. Or is this on battle spot? In game you won't have as many chances to see the effects unless your opponent uses normal type moves.

For the remainder of the current turn, Ion Deluge causes all Normal-type moves to become Electric-type instead, including status moves. Ion Deluge has a priority of +1, so is used before all moves that do not have increased priority.
Ion Deluge does not affect Struggle. It does not affect Conversion, which still takes into account a move's original type; therefore a Pokémon with a Normal-type move at the top of its move list (including Conversion itself) using Conversion will become Normal-type and not Electric-type even under the effect of Ion Deluge. Moves that change type, such as Judgment or Revelation Dance, are affected by Ion Deluge if they would otherwise deal Normal-type damage. Moves with a charging turn will only change type if the user is affected by Ion Deluge on the turn the move does damage.
If the move Flying Press used by a Pokémon with Normalize is affected by Ion Deluge, it deals Electric/Flying-type damage. If the move Freeze-Dry used by a Pokémon with Normalize is affected by Ion Deluge, its ability to hit Water-type Pokémon super effectively does not stack with its Electric typing (a Water-type Pokémon hit by the move will only take ×2 damage); in Inverse Battles, Freeze-Dry affected by Normalize and then Ion Deluge will hit Water-type Pokémon super effectively.
If powered up by an Electrium Z into Z-Ion Deluge, the user's Special Attack stat rises one stage.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
There is a well known glitch among people who SR for Litten at the beginning of the game.

Sometimes, right after the "You choose Litten!" dialogue, instead of going to the "would you nickname" screen, the screen would just go blank. The music still plays, but you can't do anything other than turning off the console.

It seems the problem is Litten specific, as I never see anyone who SR for Popplio or Rowlet complaining about the same problem.
In fact, I was SR-ing for Litten, and got the same issue. After getting tired with the blank screen issue, I switched to Rowlet and I never see the blank screen again.

Is this only when you SR? I never got the glitch and I chose Littten in UM.

ladynorther

Living Pokédex-haver
I'm not sure if this is a glitch, or I'm just a goobus and missed one that's hiding somewhere, but in Poni Plains on my copy of US, I tried talking to the guy who you can battle after defeating every other trainer in Poni Plains after doing just that, and he still won't battle me. I've gone over Poni Plains numerous times and I'm like 99.998% sure I didn't miss anybody.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor

DX 2401PT

Monitor
Not sure if this is a bug, but time doesn't seem to be passing in the reverse world.

Ultra Moon, like Moon, has the weird mechanic of day being night and vice versa. So in Moon, to "correct" this, I just stay in the reverse world all the time, so day is day. I did the same in Ultra Moon, and it's not really working. The moment I go through the wormhole, the time gets inverted, but the time doesn't pass if I save and shut off the game and turn it back on at a later time.

I checked the game at 1 am, and saw that the sun was starting to set in the game. I left the reverse world, saw that it was broad daylight in the "actual" world, went back into the reverse, saw that it was correctly nighttime, and saved. And now, 11 am, it's still night in the reverse world.

I don't think this was intended, since the reverse world in Moon works fine.

Edit:
5:30 pm local time. Exited reverse world, hopped right back in so the game's time is also 5:30 pm. Leveled up Own Tempo Rockruff to 25. Did not evolve. Leveled it again. Did not evolve.

Last edited:

Yknot

Дми́трий Дми́триевич
Well I'm really disappointed about this bug but I finally tested the contest and battle memory ribbons and it is still glitching.

I cannot myself verify the battle memory glitch but it is likely giving everyone with OVER 8 ribbons collective total the gold battle memory ribbon and everyone who legit has 40 contest memory ribbons will NOT have the gold contest memory ribbon. This was a known glitch in S/M and I was really hoping would get fixed but looks like they had other priorities and I'm really upset by it. I know it does not affect most players but I worked really hard to get all those ribbons on my metagross D:

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
Is this only when you SR? I never got the glitch and I chose Littten in UM.

It is more easily seen when you SR, since it seems the chance to get it right away without SR-ing is rather small, but the bug is definitely there.

I'm not sure if this is a glitch, or I'm just a goobus and missed one that's hiding somewhere, but in Poni Plains on my copy of US, I tried talking to the guy who you can battle after defeating every other trainer in Poni Plains after doing just that, and he still won't battle me. I've gone over Poni Plains numerous times and I'm like 99.998% sure I didn't miss anybody.

Apparently, for whatever reason, the trainers in Poni Meadow, and I heard Resolution Cave too, are also included in the list of trainers you must defeat first.

Not sure if that's a bug or not, but it might as well be, considering Resolution Cave is a completely separate area......

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
This one isn't specific to USUM but if a pokémon like Ditto transforms into an Ash-Greninja that has already gone to the Ash-Greninja state and then uses Water Shuriken, the Battle Bond ability doesn't process correctly to force 3 hits. If the Water Shuriken rolls more than 3 hits the 4th (and potential 5th) hit don't deal any damage but cause the target pokémon sprite to become invisible.

Yknot

Дми́трий Дми́триевич
I was trying to RNG abuse the festival plaza for shops and discovered some possible glitches but I suspect "fixes" to rng.

You can no longer level up twice at once to rng soft reset for the second building.

Here's two methids I tried.

First I tried was battle agency.

First I did a wonder trade. Then I leveled very close to next level up with missions. then I did a battle agency.
The plan was to do the battle agency (all three battles) to get the level up and trigger the cut scene. then after the cut scene I collected the wonder trade FC which triggered a second cut scene. FYI when you clear all three battles in battle agency it saves THEN gives you your FC. Here's what happened. I didn't get the building I wanted so I soft reset. When I entered the plaza I didn't have credit for getting my FC and it would not let me collect my earned FC. However it appeared that it saved my level up progress in battle agency. So you can't soft reset the buildings that way.

Second method. I leveled up enought to get 2 level ups from talking to people and missions. I then did a wonder trade to push the levels twice. I saved at this point.

When I entered the castle the scene triggered and i got a building but when I collected my FC from wonder trade it DID NOT give me credit for the next level up so in essence I got zero rewards for one of my level ups. however it was for reaching 79 and then 80. so I don't know but I only got one rewards. I was pissed about this one and if this is intended it is absolutely not right at all to players.

Now here's the kicker. When I redeemed my FC from the global mission it gave me 2000 FC and it dinged me every single time I got more FC for like 15 levels and I didn't know about the soft reset trick from vanilla S/M at the time so I didn't get to test soft resetting to see if you can do it with global missions.

So not sure if glitch or not but there's my research for soft resetting RNG on the building rewards.

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
GF is finally aware of the big 4 glitches (Litten, Wide Guard, Ion Deluge, and move tutor) and is fixing them this month.

Yknot

Дми́трий Дми́триевич
GF is finally aware of the big 4 glitches (Litten, Wide Guard, Ion Deluge, and move tutor) and is fixing them this month.

is that what the last online update was for the games?

unfortunately they did not fix the ribbon glitch even though it has been happening since original S/M

Status
Not open for further replies.