• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Usage of religion and mythology in fiction. What does this entail?

PsiUmbreon

Meh, I just kinda do what I want in terms of the symbolism. In my fic, the symbolism isn't as important as the message behind the symbols. Besides, they're close enough. XD

I

Insincerus

That's what Wikipedia is for 8D God, I love Wikipedia...

When using religion in a fic, it is terribly important to learn about said religion before writing anything about it at all. What you can't comprehend should not be expanded when writing about religion. For example, in my "Exsisto," the world is brought under the magnifying glass of reality when Pokemon, or creatures of unknown descent, suddenly appear in their world. You would wonder what would occur in such a situation? Religion. Naturally, there would be tons of religions either hailing these creatures gifts of the Gods or demons from Hell sent to terrorize Earth. Reality is a neat thing when something unpredictable in it happens 8D

M

mindripper

I agree, you can't just push away factual points, Mindripper. You are failing to realize that the significances between an actual 'kitsune' and a Ninetales are pretty recongizable, if you get my drift. It isn't a 'maybe', for why would a Ninetales have nine tails, live over a thousand years, and so on and so forth. You are trying to set so many different abilities of a kitsune against a Ninetales that you fail to see what they have in common, which is enough to say that Ninetales was inspired by a kitsune. >> And it really isn't difficult to see; Mindripper is only making it difficult. ;_;

It is stuff like this that will cause a failed career in research. I have left the door open to the Kitsune being the basis of Ninetails' creation, and I have NOT rejected the notion, but am just saying that it is only possible at best. If you would prefer me to, I can name examples of other mythological creatures that bear resemblances to Ninetails, but that is beside the point.

Without showing you the same lack of courtesy that you showed me, I shall let you know why Ninetails are only POSSIBLY based on the Kitsune. They do not share the same characteristics, and that is the end ofr story. Saying something should be taken as a fact means that there is no room for logical extrapolation of any sort, and that any other contradictory notions must be rejected. Suddenly, the argument does not look so sound anymore, does it? I am not trying to make life difficult. Unconfirmed theories remain conjecture until proven beyond doubt.

So, they say that Troy is located in present-day Turkey, buried under at least 5 other civilisations, but that is mere majority conjecture. You willing to say that Troy is located in present Turkey as a fact because of something like that? Like Ninetails and the Kitsune, there are more than enough factors constant to establish that connection. In fact, due to Greco-Roman maps and information from the Iliad, Turkey is approximately where ancient Troy would be located; thus, it would have a more solid approach than Ninetails and Kitsune. You willing to state that abovementioned account is FACT beyond doubt?

On Troy and the Iliad, no one knows who Homer is, or rather, was. Samuel Johnson came up with a theory that the author of the Iliad and the Oddyssey were two different people, and that the latter's author was a female. It is common knowledge among scholars and researchers in that area, and they even have her hometown pinpointed. You willing to say that is a fact? That there is no reservation for doubt?

As long as any of the above answers is a no, welcome to my club. Very few things in life are fact. Read some thesis papers on that. Religion, however, deals mostly in fact. That the word "Armageddon" was derived from the bible is fact, and there is no room for other logical arguments. That e=mc2 is a fact, and there is no space for logical argument. That Tyrannosaurus Rex was a predator is NOT fact, because there is room for logical argument against that stance, which I am too lazy to post. That Ninetails is derived from the Kitsune cannot be solid fact too, and is merely a possibility, or a probability, if you prefer, because as long as there are arguments against, there is no solid fact.

Please, I am just doing a researcher's job. Do not make my life difficult. Your opinions are valid, and I understand them, but my statements are based on fact or lack thereof, and that is the end of that particular story.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ryano Ra

Verdant Vitality
You're doing a researcher's job, you're a 'writer expert', what more can you do? --; We won't actually know if a Ninetales (not Ninetails) is from a kitsune, but many believe that that's where the inspiration came from. I believe it is a fact, though I understand what you mean by 'possibility'. Regardless, we won't actually know unless we asked the creator. 8D You believe that it is a possibility, others feel it is a fact; we could be wrong, or you could be. We're not sure, but it could be a fact. It could only be a possibility. But sure, I'd like to know others beasts that share similarities with a Ninetales. That'd be nice to know. ^^

M

mindripper

Writers do research, the last I checked. No need for sarcasm, as I showed you none. Sure, I got a few on my head right now. I will post a list from my records on my desktop when I have free time later. Well, the fact of the matter is (pardon the pun) that until established beyond doubt, nothing is fact. There is a reason why beliefs are not concrete, even though we wish they would be. Good debate, and we will continue this at a later venture after I have provided evidence. Please do not degrade this into a slanging match, which would certainly defeat the purpose of the thread, and that is fact. :)

Ryano Ra

Verdant Vitality
Yes, we will. I just want to see what other beasts can be reflected upon the creation of a Ninetales. I don't want a slanging match, though I love to debate. However, I eventually give up. ;_;

Anyways, back onto the subject; like I said before, I believe that you should create your own mythology, if you plan to use what's already provided in the world, make sure to take fantastic notes and learn about it. Otherwise, you'd be basically abusing it. And I felt like Scrap's interpretation of Yin-Yang was used correctly enough, though I know little about Yin-Yang, only that one is good and one is bad.

M

mindripper

Sure, will post later regarding that list of other beasts that have similar appearances and powers to Ninetails, or which can be associated with Kitsune. Knowledge shared is knowledge gained.

Well, religion, if used well, is a very powerful realistic tool, but without drawing Scrap into any situation, Yin-yang has does not involve good nor evil.

And a debate is always good, provided it does not sour, because that is how people learn. I learn a lot from these debates too. Take care.