• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Using My Fire Red Team For JAA

PokemonTrainerLisa

Veronica Taylor fan
Here's my Fire Red team that I plan on using for the Journey Across America tour competition.

Aside from Articuno and Mewtwo, they're basically the team I've had in my party throughout the game.

NOTE: As far as EVs go, I have no idea, since before now I didn't even realize what those were or anything, or how they help your Pokemon. ^^o

Articuno - holding Nevermeltice - Level 74

Nature: Jolly
Ability: Pressure

Moves: Ice Beam
Reflect
Mind Reader
Blizzard

(I'm going to wait until it learns Sheer Cold, for an unbeatable Mind Reader combo which will work with the help of my Gengar)

Mewtwo - holding Focus Band - Level 93 -

Nature: Lax
Ability: Pressure

Moves: Psychic
Recover
Water Pulse
Thunderbolt

Charizard - holding Charcoal - Level 63 -

Nature: Jolly
Ability: Blaze

Moves: Flamethrower
Blast Burn
Dig
Dragon Claw

Gengar - holding Lax Incense - Level 65

Nature: Hardy
Ability: Levitate

Moves: Hypnosis
Dream Eater
Mean Look
Giga Drain

Pikachu - holding Light Ball - Level 60

Nature: Impish
Ability: Static

Moves: Thunder
Thunderbolt
Light Screen
Thunder Wave (I'm thinking about giving it a different move here instead, but I don't know which one)

Butterfree - holding Quick Claw - Level 60

Nature: Gentle
Ability: Compound Eyes

Moves: Sleep Powder
Safeguard
Psychic
Silver Wind

And by the way, just so everyone knows, if I need to I COULD switch out one of these Pokemon and use a different. However, in my Fire Red version, I only have 3 other high-level Pokemon that I could use.

But, if I wanted to, I could also use one of the 3 legendaries from my Emerald team (which are all on Level 70).

Either way though, I'm still gonna have to do a lot of training in order to get my team up to Level 100.

Last edited:

snorlax

Banned
PokemonTrainerLisa said:
Articuno@ Leftovers
Calm Nature
-Ice Beam
-Roar
-Rest
-Sleep Talk

Mind Reader/Sheer Cold works on te occasional Fighting_Master but dont use it(lol)

Mewtwo@_________
Modest Nature
-Thunderbolt
-Ice Beam
-Calm Mind
-Recover

i guess

Charizard@________
Lonley Nature
-Belly Drum
-Aerial Ace
-Earthquake
-Fire Blast

Will never work in the uber metagame

Gengar@_________
Lonley/Modest Nature
-Thunderbolt
-Ice Punch
-Substitute/Giga Drain
-Focus Punch/Fire Punch

Most versitile pokemon EVER

Pikachu@Light Ball
Timid Nature
-Thunderblot
-Surf
-Substitute
-Thunder Wave

lol

LOL

JAA=UBERS UBERS UBERS

well i rated

not that it will do much good

Some one give them Items :)

PokemonTrainerLisa

Veronica Taylor fan
Aww......

Thanks for the help, Toy. ^^

Although, I do believe there's no way I can change any of the natures of my Pokemon, unfortunately. XD

And also, I don't have Pokemon Box, so I can't teach Pikachu the move Surf. :(

So, does anyone else have any good suggestions or advice for me?

I really would like to do good in this tournament, although still, I'd like to be a bit more original and use my actual team, rather than just putting in an all uber team based around Kyogre and Groundon and all of that, lol.

And besides, I only have until June 10th to train my team up to Level 100, because that's when the tournament is (of course, leveling your team up in Fire Red takes forever when going up against the Elite Four over and over X_X)......

Last edited:
Use more Ubers since everyone else will. Charizard most likely will get raped by Groudon, Latios, Kyogre, and Ubers that know Surf, Thunderbolt, Rock Slide.

PokemonTrainerLisa

Veronica Taylor fan
Hmm......

Yeah, that's a good point, blazemxx.

And I never thought about that before.

Alright then, I guess I could put either Groudon or Kyogre in my team (I don't plan on using both unless it's really necessary).

I think I'll use my Kyogre from my Emerald version, and trade it over.

Also, I'm wondering whether or not I should put Rayquaza in my team (and take out Butterfree). Would that be a good idea?

Anyway, with Mewtwo, Kyogre, and Rayquaza on my team, I think that would be pretty good as far as ubers go, aside from the full team of 6 ubers (which is one reason why I don't like the fact that they allow ubers).

Butterfree in UBER? Yes, subsitute it for Quaza, since Butterfree is OK in UU. Pikachu shouldn't be used either. At least use Raikou...

PokemonTrainerLisa

Veronica Taylor fan
But, I don't even have a Raikou, well not yet anyway...... :-(

I mean, the only one of those 3 Pokemon I have is Suicune. But, it's in my Emerald version (I got it from Colosseum).

Also, I DO have both Raikou and Entei in Pokemon Colosseum, but they haven't been purified yet. X_X

Anyway, I really, really wanna use Pikachu because it's my favorite Pokemon. And I wouldn't feel right if it wasn't in my team. It's just so cute and adorable.

However, switching out Butterfree definitely I'll do, since I know for a fact that it wouldn't stand a chance against those powerful legendaries. ^^o

The only thing I would have to worry about would be getting my Rayquaza up to Level 100.

And by the way, do you think I should switch out my Charizard? I know that it probably would do well against either Kyogre or Groudon.

So that's why I was thinking of maybe replacing it with Kyogre. Of course, then I'd have to level up Kyogre to 100 as well......

It's a good thing I have until June 10 to get my team ready. I figure it's gonna take me a good while to level up my team

Hey Micky!

"(I'm going to wait until it learns Sheer Cold, for an unbeatable Mind Reader combo which will work with the help of my Gengar)"

Switching just called, it said "gg"

snorlax

Banned
lol

w o w

np

do you want to win or come close?

natures and ubers basically do tha for you

PokemonTrainerLisa

Veronica Taylor fan
Well, I know I don't stand a chance at winning the tournament in my region since I don't how to EV train or anything like that......

To be honest, I just wanna do good enough to last through a couple rounds, and really test my skills in this awesome Pokemon competition. :D

(of course, it WOULD be nice to win it, and then get the chance to go to the finals in New York, but unless I win by luck or something, there's no way I could win using any of my Pokemon which haven't even been EV trained, lol)

Willowwhisp said:
"(I'm going to wait until it learns Sheer Cold, for an unbeatable Mind Reader combo which will work with the help of my Gengar)"

Switching just called, it said "gg"
LOL, Willowwhisp. XD

But, anyway, how would they switch?

I mean, since this is going to be only double battles (2 VS. 2), and if both my Articuno and Gengar are out at the same time, if my Gengar gets to use its Mean Look attack, my opponent won't be able to switch out. And you know what that means? Yes, it means that I could have time to use the Mind Reader combo, and get in a OHKO using Sheer Cold. ^^

Then again, I'm just thinking about this as I type, and unfortunately I'm not an expert on Pokemon battles or anything so I have no idea whether my combination strategy would actually work or not.

I believe what it's all going to come down to in this JAA tournament is two things:

1. Your opponent's Pokemon team

2. Your opponent's skill with battling in general

Last edited:

Hey Micky!

PokemonTrainerLisa said:
I mean, since this is going to be only double battles (2 VS. 2), and if both my Articuno and Gengar are out at the same time, if my Gengar gets to use its Mean Look attack, my opponent won't be able to switch out. And you know what that means? Yes, it means that I could have time to use the Mind Reader combo, and get in a OHKO using Sheer Cold. ^^
The trouble with this strategy is: A) You're dedicating a whole turn to a single Pokemon (and only get the KO on the next turn), and that's barring anything crazy like, say: Substitute or Protect completely messing it up. The next problem is Gengar is a squishy freak, one minute he's there, next mintue his tounge's hanging out of his mouth and gasping for air trying to pick up his remains after being KOed by something.

The next problem with this is in that turn you dedicated to KOing something you probably could've had the same impact just using 2 attacks from Gar and Cuno, obviously this is dependant on the Pokemon and the situation but for the most part. Mean-look-Mind Reader-Sheer Cold is a 3 move KO, and as great as it may sound on paper, anything ranging from Arti and Gar taking a trip to the A&E to a simple Sub could mess up your efforts. Now obviously this is very dependant on your opponent, by sugggesting that they may have the sense to use Protect or Sub is probably giving them alot more credit than they deserve, but the situational mentality of that "combo" is something to keep in mind.

Edit: And if you're determined to use Mean Look at least pick something with more stability than gengar, like Dusclops for example.

PokemonTrainerLisa

Veronica Taylor fan
I don't have a Dusclops in Fire Red version though, lol. ^^

Actually, come to think of it, even in my Ruby or Emerald versions, I've never trained a Duskull either. I guess I thought I could catch one in the wild or something, lol. XD

aipomkong

prophecy fulfilled
In JAA if you have less then 2 ubers, you seriously do not stand a chance, even with 3 you'd still have a hard time, JAA is all about ubers and using support for those ubers.

Like Exeggutor's Chlorophyll ability supports Groudon's Drought ability

PokemonTrainerLisa said:
But, I don't even have a Raikou, well not yet anyway...... :-(

I mean, the only one of those 3 Pokemon I have is Suicune. But, it's in my Emerald version (I got it from Colosseum).

Also, I DO have both Raikou and Entei in Pokemon Colosseum, but they haven't been purified yet. X_X

Anyway, I really, really wanna use Pikachu because it's my favorite Pokemon. And I wouldn't feel right if it wasn't in my team. It's just so cute and adorable.

However, switching out Butterfree definitely I'll do, since I know for a fact that it wouldn't stand a chance against those powerful legendaries. ^^o

The only thing I would have to worry about would be getting my Rayquaza up to Level 100.

And by the way, do you think I should switch out my Charizard? I know that it probably would do well against either Kyogre or Groudon.

So that's why I was thinking of maybe replacing it with Kyogre. Of course, then I'd have to level up Kyogre to 100 as well......

It's a good thing I have until June 10 to get my team ready. I figure it's gonna take me a good while to level up my team

Doesn't matter. JAA is all about competition. If you bring in Pikachu, Groudon uses EQ, and it's over. Same goes for Butteree. One Physical Atk, you're done.

Hey Micky!

blazemxx said:
Doesn't matter. JAA is all about competition. If you bring in Pikachu, Groudon uses EQ, and it's over. Same goes for Butteree. One Physical Atk, you're done.
Bah, you beat me to it. I wanted to do my "Your not Ash" speech :(

RoboRaph

If you want to try something cheap, use Wobbuffet for trapping purposes with your Articuno. You could even try Perish Song with Lapras, Misdreavus or Gengar but they are probably too fragile. Anyway this is the sort of team I recommend (not sure how many you need in the team though):

Articuno
Wobbuffet
Mewtwo
Snorlax (to take some special hits and Shadow Ball those uber psychics)
Kyogre
Zapdos (with Thunder using the rain from Kyogre)

Edit: Misdreavus isn't in FireRed only LeafGreen so ignore the above statement.

Last edited:

PokemonTrainerLisa

Veronica Taylor fan
Oh, okay.

Thanks for the help, RoboRaph, and everyone else. ^^

And as for how many Pokemon I need in my team, well, you need a team of 6 Pokemon. Then, for every round 4 Pokemon, out of those 6, are to be used in the tournament battles (which consist of double-battles played out in Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness).