• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

UU Metagame Discussion Thread

KillerDraco

UU got some interesting new toys today, while simultaneously losing a few.

Most notably, Alakazam and Hippowdon have left the tier, being promoted to OU. Meanwhile, Gallade, Mandibuzz, and Mamoswine have joined UU, and of course, Galladite has been sent back to BL. Quite a few also dropped into RU (Scrafty, Kingdra, Flygon, and Noivern), but they're technically still usable in UU so it's not a huge change or anything.

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free

FlorgesPower2

Anime fanatic
After about a week of laddering, I can safely say without a doubt that Crawdaunt has no place in this tier so i'm voting to keep it BL.

p$Ych07ic

Crawdaunt isn't quite broken in the tier. The primary problem is that it's slow. Much slower than most of the UnderUsed tier, so it rarely utilizes its Swords Dance set well. To be fair, Aerial Ace, Sludge Wave, or Ice Beam over Swords Dance has become a somewhat standard set for Crawdaunt to beat its two biggest counters, Chesnaught and Tangrowth. However, Toxicroak is still a pain in the *** to deal with.

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
So one less Pokemon in the astonishingly large BL then. I'd heard lots of argument in regards to Crawdaunt was so I'm mildly surprised it was actually unbanned. Don't know much about UU but judging by what the tier looks like, I can see it being okay there.

Mike_

So, quick question: Does anyone know why Base Charizard is UU in Gen 6? Is there something that buffed him up from Gen 5 where he was NU?

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
So, quick question: Does anyone know why Base Charizard is UU in Gen 6? Is there something that buffed him up from Gen 5 where he was NU?

Charizard has been OU since the start of 6th Gen because of its Megas, but they only recently decided it was better to split Megas and their base forms across the board. As a result they base forms are trickling down in respective tiers until tier shifts roll around. Charizard will probably continue to fall all the way down to NU again, but they're not dropping it immediately and are instead going to let usage dictate whether or not it falls all the way back down. Or rather, lack thereof.

FlorgesPower2

Anime fanatic
I don't like the fact Gyarados is here, I also don't like the fact they kept Crawdaunt like what the hell? *facepalm*

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
Mega Gyarados was actually already banned by the time that above post was made, though that's no surprise. Mega Alakazam is still OU I believe so Alakazam doesn't sound so bad, but I don't play UU so I don't know how much Alakazam impacts the tier.

Aduro

Mt.BtlMaster
Mega Alakazam is still OU I believe so Alakazam doesn't sound so bad, but I don't play UU so I don't know how much Alakazam impacts the tier.

It will 2HKO tanky stuff like blastoise but won't be able to do much to the real special wall clerics like florges and blissey. Might be able to work some nice surprises with encore and nasty plot, but I tried that with Mr. Mime and it was risky at best.
252 SpA Life Orb Alakazam Psychic vs. 184 HP / 0 SpD Mega Blastoise: 175-207 (50.7 - 60%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Alakazam Psychic vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Arcanine: 165-195 (42.9 - 50.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Alakazam Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Arcanine: 211-250 (54.9 - 65.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Alakazam Psychic vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Donphan: 199-235 (51.8 - 61.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Alakazam Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 120 SpD Filter Mega Aggron: 275-324 (79.9 - 94.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Alakazam Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Blissey: 270-320 (37.8 - 44.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

The good news for me is that its a nice mega aggron counter and I'm not fond of that pokemon, bad news is that if it runs timid it outspeeds my Virizion, and SD Virizion is my favourite sweeper.

EDIT: Hang on, apparently Gyaradosite is quickbanned to BL.

Last edited:

KillerDraco

The good news for me is that its a nice mega aggron counter and I'm not fond of that pokemon

It's... not even really much of a check.

252 SpA Life Orb Alakazam Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 120 SpD Filter Mega Aggron: 275-324 (79.9 - 94.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 Atk Mega Aggron Heavy Slam (120 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Alakazam: 321-378 (127.8 - 150.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Can't switch in, and only about a 50% chance to 2HKO when you account for Focus Miss's accuracy.

Alakazam may be a nice addition to HO teams, but it still can't switch into much of anything barring a stray Toxic, and it's not like it outspeeds the entire tier. I don't see it breaking the tier or anything.

Aduro

Mt.BtlMaster
It's... not even really much of a check.

0 Atk Mega Aggron Heavy Slam (120 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Alakazam: 321-378 (127.8 - 150.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Can't switch in, and only about a 50% chance to 2HKO when you account for Focus Miss's accuracy.
I meant on the switch-in, but when Aggron can live just about any physical hits in UU I'll celebrate most decent special sweepers.

252 Atk Choice Band Sheer Force Darmanitan Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 136+ Def Filter Mega Aggron: 244-289 (70.9 - 84%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Entei Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 136+ Def Filter Mega Aggron: 180-213 (52.3 - 61.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Mega Beedrill Drill Run vs. 252 HP / 136+ Def Filter Mega Aggron: 58-70 (16.8 - 20.3%) -- possible 5HKO
252+ Atk Mega Swampert Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 136+ Def Filter Mega Aggron: 123-145 (35.7 - 42.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
4 SpA Salamence Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 120 SpD Filter Mega Aggron: 135-160 (39.2 - 46.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+2 252 Atk Salamence Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 136+ Def Filter Mega Aggron: 136-162 (39.5 - 47%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Karxrida

Lost in the Waves
That's not how checks and counters work; you don't counter/check something that switches into you. If anything, Mega Aggron is the Mega Zam check.