• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

UU/NU in competitive battling?

loopyeyes

Fuwaraido Fan
Hey, I've been wanting to get into competitive battling latley, but it seems like all my favorite Pokemon are either UU or NU. I was wondering if it were possible to not get completely owned using those kinds of Pokemon against a team consisting of 6 OU Pokemon.

On a more personal note, do you use any UU or NU Pokemon on your team? Have they been beneficial or do they seem to hold you back?

Thanks for the input!

Well if you do want to use UU/NU pokemon you can always play in UU/NU. Of course if you want to try and use them in OU you're more than welcome to try as there are some cases where people perform well with lower tiered pokes, just don't expect to do it often.

Mye

Someone has to win..
As a person who pwns with my double-battle rain team, I can honestly say that weather teams rely heavily on a mix of OU and UU. No point in adding azelf to a rain team when ludicolo/kingdra pwn more....

windsong

WEST SIDE
Some UU and NU Pokemon have specific niches in OU. Milotic, for example, can fit on an OU team if you need a water type that can successfully take STAB physical based attacks that actually have some investment (thanks to Marvel Scale), or Poliwrath being used in OU to counter Crocune and Rest Talk Gyarados (just as examples). However, outside of those niches, UU/NU Pokemon are going to be outclassed by the majority of OU Pokemon. Like d0nut said, if you're dead set on using your favorites, than you could play UU/NU, like d0nut suggested, or try and use them in OU, but just not expect that great results.

And on your second question, I have used UU and NU Pokemon on OU teams, but not solely for creativity. There was one team, a while ago, that I made that was hugely CroCune weak, and I couldn't add Tinkerbell Celebi or Offensive Zapdos without disrupting the team's synergy and making it weak to common offensive types, so I used Poliwrath, who fit well.

As a person who uses various NUs and UUs in OU for shits and giggles, I say they can be very effective if given proper support and if they're not outclassed by something else to an extent. So if you have, say, Guts SD Ursaring or something, you want to spread paralysis and remove scarfers or something, and so you make your team accordingly.