• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

UU Team takes on the OU tier

goinGreen

<-I herd u Liek me?
Shrifty @ Salac Berry
Ability: Early Bird
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 252Attk, 252Spd, 6Def

- Explosion
- X-Scissor
- Sucker Punch
- Seed Bomb

[Anti-Azelf/Mespirit lead, as well as a nice counter to swampert leads. X-Scissor on the Stealth Rock set up, Sucker Punch for the KO. Cloyster switches in on a physical attacker.]

Cloyster @ Leftovers
Ability: Shell Armor
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252 attk/ 252 HP/ 6 def

- Explosion
- Toxic Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Avalanche

[Destroys Gyarados, can set up toxic spikes against physical attackers, and rapid spins away SR.]

Medicham @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pure Power
Nature: Adament
EVs: 252 attk/ 216 speed/ 40 def

-Drain Punch
-Fire Punch
-Rock Slide
-Psycho Cut

[For type advantage and a lot of damage. I'm using drain punch.]

Ninetales @ Wide Lens
Ability: Flash Fire
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 Sp.Attk/ 216 speed/ 40 Sp.Def

-Nasty Plot
-Flamethrower
-Hypnosis
-Extrasensory

[Also for hitting many types. Extrasensory beats Gengar. Special attacker, but twisted from the Smogon set.]

Slowking @ Leftovers
Ability: Oblivious
Nature: Calm
EVs: 252 HP/ 252 Sp.Def/ 6 Sp.Attk

-Nasty Plot
-Slack Off
-Light Screen
-Surf

[Screwed over if the opponent has a physical-oriented pokemon and it's last up, but is powerful against opponent special attackers. After a few Nasty Plots, Surf tears through.]

Weezing @ Black Sludge
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 Def/ 252 HP/ 6 spd

-Will-o-wisp
-Pain Split
-Flamethrower
-Hyper Beam

[A defensive wall, used for hitting random opponents and such. Really, it's just a Lucario counter, but Hyper Beam dents counters and allows for a pain split after recharge.]

It works as a UU team, but I always use it on the OU tier. I rarely win, but I hold my own. Any suggestions as to how to make this team more OU compatible?

Last edited:
hmm I also tried to make a not OU team function well in OU, but that is really hard to come up with a good team that has covered the most dangerous threats. You should revisit your team because some aren't really strong enough to stand any chance in OU (like Jynx)

goinGreen

<-I herd u Liek me?
Believe it or not, Jynx, Medicham, and Shiftry are the pokemon which usually do the best in the OU tier, with Shiftry being the worst of those. But I will revisit the team and see if I can come up with anything else on my own.

Any specific suggestions or comments anyone has?

Luxe

Stranded MeisterIsle
I am a fan of UU teams that open up a can of whoop-ass on OU teams, and although this is very different from the team that I made that actually had success in the OU tier, I would go for drain punch of medicham, because it really helps when your team is often too fragile for wish support. I'm not a fan of ninetails, sceptile, or jynx, so i'll come back later and finish rating

Your Shriftry has an EV error, should be 252 spd.
Anyways idk this team doesn't look too threatening. The Shriftry lead though does look impressive.
HUGE HUGE problem i c is that this team is extremely weak against Scarf/Sub heatran.
Subtran would Go thorugh your entire team after getting a sub up.

Ampy

Light The Stars
Shrifty @ Salac Berry
EVs: 252Attk, 262Spd, 6Def

- Explosion
- X-Scissor
- Sucker Punch
- Seed Bomb

[Anti-Azelf/Mespirit lead, as well as a nice counter to swampert leads.]

Fine

Cloyster @ Icicle Plate
EVs: 252 attk/ 252 speed/ 6 def

- Explosion
- Toxic Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Avalanche

[Destroys Gyarados, can set up toxic spikes against physical attackers, and rapid spins away SR.]

No experience with him... but I'm going to say fine

Medicham @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 attk/ 216 speed/ 40 def

-Drain Punch
-Fire Punch
-Rock Slide
-Psycho Cut

[For type advantage and a lot of damage. Should it be Brick Break or Force Palm?]

Ninetales @ Choice Specs

-Dark Pulse
-Flamethrower
-Energy Ball
-Extrasensory

[Also for hitting many types. Extrasensory beats Gengar. Special attacker]

Personally... Choice Specs Ninetales is better IMO

Sceptile @ Life Orb
Ability: Overgrow
Nature: Modest
EVs: 252 Sp.Attk/ 252 speed/ 6 def

-Synthesis
-Dragon Pulse
-Focus Blast
-Energy Ball

[Kinda generic, and I don't like it. Leaf Storm misses too often.]

Jynx @ Focus Sash

-Ice Beam
-Signal Beam
-Psychic
-Energy Ball

[A special attacker, great against strong attack & weak sp.defense opponents with its Focus Sash.]

No experience with it... but Psychic might be a good choice..

It works as a UU team, but I always use it on the OU tier. I rarely win, but I hold my own. Any suggestions as to how to make this team more OU compatible?

Suggestions in bold

Final

I Submit to No One
Shrifty @ Salac Berry
EVs: 252Attk, 252Spe, 6Def

- Explosion
- Fake-Out
- Sucker Punch
- Seed Bomb

[Anti-Azelf/Mespirit lead, as well as a nice counter to swampert leads.]

Almost every Azelf lead carries a Focus Sash so you'll need Fake-Out on here to break it and then kill with Sucker Punch. X-Scissor could probably go for it.

Cloyster @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 attk/ 6 def

- Explosion
- Toxic Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Avalanche

Cloyster should always have max HP so it can make the most of its Defense. Speed is useless with Cloyster. Leftovers should always be used with Cloyster unless it's using a Choice Band set (which this set clearly can't use without screwing yourself over).

Medicham @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 attk/ 252 Speed / 4 HP

-Brick Break
-Fire Punch
-Rock Slide
-Psycho Cut

[For type advantage and a lot of damage. Should it be Brick Break or Force Palm?]

I like Choice Scarf better with Medicham. It has paper Defenses and cannot afford to be outsped. If your opponent isn't prepared for this, they'll have a hard time with Medicham. I think the Defense EVs will be better in Speed since its Defense sucks anyway. You can change to an Adamant Nature for more power.

Ninetales @ Wide Lens

-Nasty Plot
-Flamethrower
-Energy Ball
-Hypnosis

[Also for hitting many types. Extrasensory beats Gengar. Special attacker]

Hypnosis is the only reason Ninetales is a decent Special Attacker. Without it you are better off with Houndoom. Nasty Plot also gives a quicker increase in power. Sleep the opponent with Hypnosis and on the switch Nasty Plot and you can cause some good damage. Wide Lens is so Hypnosis doesn't miss every time you use it.

Sceptile @ Choice Specs
Ability: Overgrow

-Energy Ball / Grass Knot
-Dragon Pulse
-Hidden Power [Fire]
-Leaf Storm

[Kinda generic, and I don't like it. Leaf Storm misses too often.]

Sceptile is too frail to be using Synthesis and in OU it isn't the most reliable recovery. You may as well use Choice Specs if you don't like the Life Orb recoil. Energy Ball and Grass Knot are other powerful STAB moves Sceptile gets and Hidden Power [Fire] murders Scizor. You won't be beating Blissey with Focus Blast anyway since it misses and Blissey is only 3HKOed by it and carries Softboiled or Wish to stall it out.

Jynx @ Focus Sash

-Ice Beam
-Signal Beam
-Water Pulse
-Energy Ball

[A special attacker, great against strong attack & weak sp.defense opponents with its Focus Sash.]

You should just use another Pokemon over this. Seriously. Cloyster can't be relied on to wall every Physical attack.

Suggestions in bold. SD Lucario will tear this team apart if it gets a Swords Dance off. It has ExtemeSpeed for Pokemon it can't outspeed, Close Combat for STAB and usually carries Crunch or Ice Punch in its last slot. Cloyster can still get hurt badly by a Swords Danced Close Combat. Even with max HP.

In the UU pool, Weezing is a pretty good SD Lucario counter:

This set to be precise:

Weezing @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
252 HP / 252 Defense / 4 Special Attack

Will-O-Wisp
Pain Split
Thunderbolt
Flamethrower / Fire Blast

Weezing can't be hurt too badly by Lucario's moves even after a Swords Dance and can Burn it with Will-O-Wisp to neuter its attacking capabilities and as it tries another SD, you can beat it down with Flamethrower / Fire Blast. Fire Blast will finish it quickly but it can be annoying when it misses. Replace Jynx with this. Pain Split is for recovery and Thunderbolt can take care if Gyarados. Will-O-Wisp can cripple it but you can 2HKO it as it sets up with Thunderbolt since some carry Taunt to block Will-O-Wisp. Weezing can stop a lot of Physical threats. Max HP and Defense are to maximise Weezing's Physical Walling capabilities.

Rest can be used over Pain Split but if you do that, you must have a Cleric on your team for it to be effective or pack Sleep Talk but if you do that, you lose coverage on Gyarados or Lucario. Weezing's typing and ability is pretty good since it only has one weakness so definately consider it.

You also have nothing to take Special Attackers on.

Chansey can be a decent asset to this team:

Chansey @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
4 HP / 252 Defense / 252 Special Defense

Softboiled
Aromatherapy
Thunder Wave / Toxic
Seismic Toss

Chansey does surprisingly well in the standard environment despite being entirely outclassed by its evolution Blissey. It works in pretty much the same manner except Seismic Toss is its only reliable offensive option. Softboiled is for recovery, Aromatherapy can support the team by removing status from your main sweepers and Chansey if she comes in on Toxic Spikes. Any of the Status moves listed are fine. The EVs are self explanatory. Max Defense is so Chansey doesn't get KOed if you poke it with any weak Physical move. Max Special Defense maximizes Chansey's Special Walling. To give an idea of how good it is to invest in Defense for Chansey, she doesn't get OHKOed by Pursuit if she switches. A Calm Nature softens the blow of Special Attacks that would be a 2HKO if she uses a Bold Nature which only adds 10 Defense to anyway which doesn't change any significant KOs. The remaining 4 EVs can go in HP or Speed. You can probably use this over 1 of your Special Attackers.

A Wish variant of Chansey can be used instead if you want.

Chansey @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
4 HP / 252 Defense / 252 Special Defense

Wish
Protect
Toxic
Seismic Toss

Protect, Toxic and Wish work great as a set. Wish + Protect guarantee a recovery for Chansey, Toxic + Protect can be used to stall for Toxic damage and Protect in general is a good move to block an Explosion or to a lesser extent Selfdestruct and scout for Choice item or Trick users. The EVs and Nature are the same on this set as the previous set and serve pretty much the same purpose. Seismic Toss' purpose is also the same. Wish can also be used to support the rest of your team.

Last edited:

goinGreen

<-I herd u Liek me?
I like the idea behind Weezing, and I'm going to scrap Sceptile for another Pokemon. I'm gonna try to experiment with other Weezing sets and see what I like (I don't like using smogon sets, I take pride in finding something effective and unique,) but I'll generally stick to the pain-split/flamethrower set.

Surprisingly, my Medicham has outsped opponents I thought it wouldn't, but I agree. It's too slow. I'll use the choice band.

I'll use a leftovers on Cloyster and max HP, both seem a good idea.

I've gotten several Drain Punch suggestions, and I agree. The only problem is I could get locked in on it, and there is low PP.

I'm going to do a life orb set using hypnosis and nasty plot, but I'm dropping Energy Ball. Extrasensory's occasional flinch helps for opponents just waking up, and it hits many targets. I'll have to add a water attack to someone....

And yes, I've been destroyed by a scarfed sub heatran. Once. I've only fought one once, and I do need to handle it. I need a water type pokemon, which I'll be replacing Sceptile with. Expect an update soon.