• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Valuable Experience for All! (929)

KurashiDragon

Well-known Dragonite Enthusiast
I'm sad that Ash vs Astrid was only really reduced to a cameo. With how many times we've seen her (more times than most other characters.) you'd expect at least a full episode battle. Then again, this is the Kalos League. Quite possibly the most underwhelming league to date. (it's going to fast for it's own good.) Apart from that though I found the rest of the episode pretty good. Sawyer vs Tierno was ok even though they both actually made some really stupid decisions. Seriously, who teaches Solarbeam to a Ludicolo? Especially a RAIN DANCE LUDICOLO! Sawyer's stupid decision wasn't nearly as stupid but as Raichu was digging against Aegislash, I couldn't help shouting out loud multiple times, "USE KING'S SHIELD! USE KING'S SHIELD!"

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
judging from Shota's battle Satoshi stands absolutely no chance. He is the much better trainer, but given that Alan needs to battle Satoshi and they'll only meet in the battle due to some sorcery mentality ******** Satoshi will of course win against Shota...

What about Sawyer's battle made it seem like Ash has absolutely no chance?

Epicocity

And I'll say it again: you can have bad trainers in the league. We were arguing a week ago that not every trainer is going to be on the same level with Trevor, so what outside of the badges means that these competitors are strong? They could be as intelligent as Cameron or as effective as Trip, and we won't know because we never see them. Ash getting the top 4 in Sinnoh was much more satisfying because the writers shown those competitors were tough, Ash making it to the finals in Kalos isn't that impressive because he could be the best among a bunch of chumps.

In short, there's a serious case of show, don't tell here, and it doesn't make Ash's higher placement more satisfying if we don't know how much he had to fight through opponents to get there.

That's what I'm saying about implication. Don't get me wrong! I wish they showed it. They could have cut Shauna (needed but unneeded) for all I care just to show it. But the implication from last episode is that Ash is a cut above. They're not implying that they're crappy, simply that Ash and Alain are better. In either case, we're faced with a paradox: if you show Ash struggling for the wins like he did in Sinnoh, it now makes him seem weak, but if you don't show him struggling, people want to think that the others are weak. That's the biggest problem presented.

marumaruko

Ghost Trainer
What about Sawyer's battle made it seem like Ash has absolutely no chance?
His complete battle style is different from Satoshi who acts before he thinks. This plus King Shield and his use of Mega Sceptile. However I said since Satoshi needs to battle Alan he'll win. Then once the league and Flare arc is over it's back to 0.
This is the first generation from which I've seen most episodes, because I really liked Gen 6, but I don't think I can endure to watch another generation the way this anime is done.

Haunter ゴースト

And we've seen bad trainers make it into the league before, so that's not a good point. We're not seeing any struggle from Ash as he works his way up to the semifinals, so we don't know if these competitors aren't just a bunch of chumps.

No trainer who makes it to the league is bad. Defeating or earning 8 badges is proof of that. We know how strong the leaders are.

If a trainer like Alain or Ash makes them look weak, doesn't mean they actually are.

spacedp

I waited 2.5 years for this? Yaaaaaaaay......

Yeah yeah I know it's supposed to "get better" next episode but the damage has already been done. Cool 30 second Astrid fight bro, all we need know is more pokemon that faint with one move and a filler where chespin gets lost.

Purfect.

Epicocity

His complete battle style is different from Satoshi who acts before he thinks. This plus King Shield and his use of Mega Sceptile. However I said since Satoshi needs to battle Alan he'll win. Then once the league and Flare arc is over it's back to 0.
This is the first generation from which I've seen most episodes, because I really liked Gen 6, but I don't think I can endure to watch another generation the way this anime is done.

Ash doesn't act before he thinks, not in this saga. He thinks on the fly and is completely unpredictable. That's his strength, and something that no amount of strategizing that Sawyer can do will overcome. I mean, just take a look at Pikachu vs. Avalugg, despite the loss. Pikachu was on the run and he still had the forethought to make him slam the ground with Iron Tail to stop him. Also, that fight showed that Ash knew how Bergmite was going to move. He does think. He just reacts.

Besides, Sawyer made some serious mistakes, and his Slurpuff got, pardon the pun, creamed. Mostly, King's Shield was his biggest issue. He allowed Aegislash to get hit TWICE while in Blade Forme. As for Mega Sceptile and Aegislash both, Ash has now seen them in action, whereas Tierno didn't have that opportunity. Honestly, probably only Sawyer knew Mega Sceptile's ability was Lightning Rod. Any trainer would have been taken off guard, but now he's aware.

skybattler262

Well, all I can say is that this League wasn't THAT important when compared to the previous Sagas because...

What's the point of winning a league when A FREAKING DOOMSDAY DEVICE IS GONNA LEAD TO A MASS GENOCIDE?!? I mean, this league is going to be followed immediately by the Team Flare arc, so the real climax is actually saving the world from Team Flare...

I know this is out of context, but still, this episode just shows how UNIMPORTANT this league is when compared to what will happen next.

Last edited:

Illusio

No words, only rage
That's what I'm saying about implication. Don't get me wrong! I wish they showed it. They could have cut Shauna (needed but unneeded) for all I care just to show it. But the implication from last episode is that Ash is a cut above. They're not implying that they're crappy, simply that Ash and Alain are better. In either case, we're faced with a paradox: if you show Ash struggling for the wins like he did in Sinnoh, it now makes him seem weak, but if you don't show him struggling, people want to think that the others are weak. That's the biggest problem presented.

I would never say Sinnoh Ash was weak though, we're talking about the same trainer who came up with clever strategies and was the only one that beat two of Tobias' Pokemon, he was a great trainer.

If the writers think that one-shotting Pokemon is the only way to show strength, then I think they missed they missed the point entirely.

No trainer who makes it to the league is bad. Defeating or earning 8 badges is proof of that. We know how strong the leaders are.

If a trainer like Alain or Ash makes them look weak, doesn't mean they actually are.

I think some would argue that trainers like Bianca weren't strong.

Last edited:

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
It would of helped if Tierno vs Sawyer was even that good but nope, we got a bunch of one to two hit KO battles. Good lord why do the writers hate Slurpuff so much.

Darkness Angel

Lover of Fate-Chan
I really wish that Ayaka could have been around longer than 30 seconds I feel. That Ash's win against her was nothing more than a very rushed fight just so that they could get to. Shota vs Tiero which was a decent battle, this also means that Ash truly will be getting to the finals once he beats Shota and Alain beats Louise.

mega snorlax

I strongly disagree. In this series, Ash is very cerebral, moreso than even in Sinnoh, and his 'acting before thinking' is vestigial at best. What Ash has which Sawyer doesn't have is the ability to think on the fly, arguably his most notable trait as a trainer throughout the anime's history. Sawyer may have figured out some of Ash's unpredictability, but he doesn't have Ash lightning-quick thinking ability. But this semi-final will be awesome.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
Still better than the last episode. Did they blow the animation and story budget on coffee and pocky?

Epicocity

I would never say Sinnoh Ash was weak though, we're talking about the same trainer who came up with clever strategies and was the only one that beat two of Tobias' Pokemon, he was a great trainer.

If the writers think that one-shotting Pokemon is the only way to show strength, then I think they missed they missed the point entirely.

I'm not implying that Ash was weak in Sinnoh. Not at all. But compared to Kalos, he was. He's a step above that now, especially post XYZ 28. There needs to be a line that shows that.

How else would you show that Ash is a cut above the other trainers of the League? Not saying I wouldn't mind more that a oneshot. I'm just as disappointed in the Astrid battle as the rest of you, but battling multiple battles down to the last Pokemon like he did in Sinnoh would essentially say, "Yep, he's still the same level as then." Essentially, we'd have the same format of battles. Am I explaining myself well enough, or just rambling? I'd like to think I'm making my point, but I'm not sure...

mega snorlax

I think some would argue that trainers like Bianca weren't strong.
Agree with that, but we haven't yet seen the writers use Ash's battling skills to the test, the true test of Ash's strength. Never mind having stronger Pokemon, we haven't seen Ash utilise his battle smarts so far, which is even better than at Sinnoh, and this was what the league is badly

Soniman

Break the Limit
It would of helped if Tierno vs Sawyer was even that good but nope, we got a bunch of one to two hit KO battles. Good lord why do the writers hate Slurpuff so much.

other then raichu vs sceptile....not really, all the other matchups lasted a decentley long time

Illusio

No words, only rage
I'm not implying that Ash was weak in Sinnoh. Not at all. But compared to Kalos, he was. He's a step above that now, especially post XYZ 28. There needs to be a line that shows that.

How else would you show that Ash is a cut above the other trainers of the League? Not saying I wouldn't mind more that a oneshot. I'm just as disappointed in the Astrid battle as the rest of you, but battling multiple battles down to the last Pokemon like he did in Sinnoh would essentially say, "Yep, he's still the same level as then." Essentially, we'd have the same format of battles. Am I explaining myself well enough, or just rambling? I'd like to think I'm making my point, but I'm not sure...

Show good strategies, show good use of his team (the only mons we've seen so far is Greninja and Hawlucha), show adaptability to his opponent's strategies, and so on. Any of those things can show a trainer is a cut above the rest, you don't have to destroy the other side to show that you're strong, you can showcase many other aspects of the character to do the same job.

DP!Ash is much more interesting to me because he shown strength and intelligence without just steamrolling the competition. All of the things that I mentioned was on display in DP and I could believe that he would've won the league if not for Tobias, so I don't think it's nearly as necessary as you're making it out to be that he has to steamroll the competition to win.