• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Valuable Experience for All! (929)

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
other then raichu vs sceptile....not really, all the other matchups lasted a decentley long time

Go watch again, they might of lasted a little bit longer but each pokemon literally went down after being hit like twice max not counting attack blocks.

Epicocity

Show good strategies, show good use of his team (the only mons we've seen so far is Greninja and Hawlucha), show adaptability to his opponent's strategies, and so on. Any of those things can show a trainer is a cut above the rest, you don't have to destroy the other side to show that you're strong, you can showcase many other aspects of the character to do the same job.

DP!Ash is much more interesting to me because he shown strength and intelligence without just steamrolling the competition. All of the things that I mentioned was on display in DP and I could believe that he would've won the league if not for Tobias, so I don't think it's nearly as necessary as you're making it out to be that he has to steamroll the competition to win.

All fair points, so what it boils down to is time and budget. Can't be very easy for animators to animate all of these great strategy fights. If they had to do so many episodes it would essentially boil down to oneshots regardless, and therein lies the problem. As much as I'd love to see these things, I can also see them being unfeasible to the people making the final product. We have the advantage of just seeing the final product and judging, but I think if we were there for the whole process we'd know better.

Honestly, I've never believed even Kalos would top the Sinnoh League, as much as it's hyped for me. But as great as Ash's battles went, no one can deny that the way he struggled against Nando (not so much Conway because that was a curbstomp before Trick Room kicked in) is not something he would have struggled with as he is now.

Essentially, would love to see your idea, but can also understand how doing all of that would be hell on the animators and then everyone would suffer.

Captain America X

Go watch again, they might of lasted a little bit longer but each pokemon literally went down after being hit like twice max not counting attack blocks.

To be fair too Ludicolo it took a +2 Sacred Sword and a +4 Sacred Sword.That was Sacred Sword right cause I'm not sure

Last edited:

mega snorlax

Show good strategies, show good use of his team (the only mons we've seen so far is Greninja and Hawlucha), show adaptability to his opponent's strategies, and so on. Any of those things can show a trainer is a cut above the rest, you don't have to destroy the other side to show that you're strong, you can showcase many other aspects of the character to do the same job.

DP!Ash is much more interesting to me because he shown strength and intelligence without just steamrolling the competition. All of the things that I mentioned was on display in DP and I could believe that he would've won the league if not for Tobias, so I don't think it's nearly as necessary as you're making it out to be that he has to steamroll the competition to win.

Sinnoh had some really tough opponents, not to mention that Paul pushed him to become the trainer he is now. It's very obvious that the league was for Ash to take had the writers not decided to throw Trollbias in for a laugh. In XY, sure, Ash did flatten some opponents (barring the league), but the strategies he did use were just as impressive if not moreso than in DP. For example, Draco Meteor climb, Pika fighting whilst blinded vs Team Rocket, breaking Trick Room with X-Scissor, skating on ice (like in DP vs Candice), knocking out both Meowstic using their own Future Sight using Pika as a timer etc. In terms of skill and cerebral ability, Ash already superceded his DP self.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Dear goodness, Astrid. You let yourself go if a non-evolving Pokemon wrecked your ace like that. Then again, you're based on a trainer class facing off an OC. Your chances were a bit abysmal, but...

Oh, look. Ash is finally having a proper full battle after 6 years.

Last edited:

mega snorlax

Dear goodness, Astrid. You let yourself go if a non-evolving Pokemon wrecked your ace like that. Then again, you're based on a trainer class facing off an OC. Your chances were a bit abysmal, but...

Oh, look. Ash is finally having a proper full battle after 9 years.
Ash vs Paul & vs Trollbias was 6 years ago, and that ridiculous 6v5 vs Cameron was over 3 years ago. Not to mention the utterly absurd 6 vs 3 against Roxy. But it has only been 6 years lol.

mega snorlax

This is the one I meant, but anyhow, ha ha.

I'm amazed at how long ago it actually was. But let's see what the next two battles will reveal to us. They better be insanely good in order to have any chance of vindicating the league somewhat.

Navin

MALDREAD
I don't know if anybody else caught this, but there seemed to be another callback to AG in this episode.

Ash calling upon his Pokemon the evening before facing a dangerous upstart in the Leprechaun felt reminiscent of Tyson calling upon his own Pokemon the night before he faced Ash at the Hoenn League.

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
This is just a theory, but could the overall higher animation quality of the XY series be impacting things like the league more heavily than was normal in the past? That is when it comes to battles could even the lower budget animations for XY be more expensive than the low budget episodes from previous pokemon series?

In that sense the better art and animation that started in XY could be a double-edged sword as they may well not have it in their budget to be able to do more than a few episodes in a row that feature battles, and as a result we get the cuts we see in this league.

That and one can expect the climax of the Team Flare arc is going to eat up a lot of animation budget.

Epicocity

This is just a theory, but could the overall higher animation quality of the XY series be impacting things like the league more heavily than was normal in the past? That is when it comes to battles could even the lower budget animations for XY be more expensive than the low budget episodes from previous pokemon series?

In that sense the better art and animation that started in XY could be a double-edged sword as they may well not have it in their budget to be able to do more than a few episodes in a row that feature battles, and as a result we get the cuts we see in this league.

That and one can expect the climax of the Team Flare arc is going to eat up a lot of animation budget.

That's a possibility, though I'd say it's more likely that a very animation/budget heavy set of episodes take a lot of the time to make, so making a whole slew of them is likely more difficult, which is why they're restricting it to the major two battles. An unfortunate outcome, but I guess it's how things are. The animation quality itself hasn't exactly suffered overall, really.

Red and Blue

Why didn't they show Ash asking for Goodra's help three episodes ago? That would have confirmed GOODRA as the final Pokemon much earlier

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
Why didn't they show Ash asking for Goodra's help three episodes ago? That would have confirmed GOODRA as the final Pokemon much earlier
You just answered your own question, they wanted it to be a surprise (at least for casual viewers and kids who wouldn't have already guessed/assumed it).

Epicocity

You just answered your own question, they wanted it to be a surprise (at least for casual viewers and kids who wouldn't have already guessed/assumed it).

I think he's probably wondering why they didn't just do it then and have more time set aside for, say, the Astrid battle this episode. Would have probably been more favorable if they had, but I guess they valued the "surprise" over a battle.

UltimateNinja

Praying for the holy relics
I have to say that Tierno vs Sawyer was actually quite decent. More than a generic 3vs3 spam fest, but there was also some tactic behind it. Blastoise spinning to dodge Attract, also quickly using Rain Dance before it defeated to boost Raichu's electric type moves and Sawyer reacting against it with mega evolving Sceptile to use it's lightning rod ability was very clever. Also the battle wasn't that short. Better than anything else by now. I think the writer are focusing on Sawyer and Alain and not too much on Ash, which would explain why Ash only got quick battles by now and Alain and Sawyer having more focus right now. First episode was Alain focus, second Sawyer and the rest are the battles between them against Ash.

Also why the heck they suddenly used Sinnoh music? Not bad though. I like the track and I want to hear more older themes. Sadly the theme didn't lasted that long.

Still better than the last episode. Did they blow the animation and story budget on coffee and pocky?

No they are saving it for the important 4-5 remaining league episodes

Last edited:

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
I have to say that Tierno vs Sawyer was actually quite decent. More than a generic 3vs3 spam fest, but there was also some tatctic behind it. Blastoise spinning to dodge Attract, also quickly using Rain Dance before it defeated to boost Raichu's electric type moves and Sawyer reacting against it with mega evolving Sceptile to use it's lightning rod ability was very clever. Also the battle wasn't that short. Better than anything else by now.

Also why the heck they suddenly used Sinnoh music? Not bad though. I like the track and I want to hear more older themes. Sadly the theme didn't lasted that long.

No they are saving it for the important 4-5 remaining league episodes

Which Sinnoh track did they play out of curiosity?

Emperor Empoleon

Honor of Kalos
lol. I knew it. Poor Astrid. She seemed like such a cool filler trainer.

This League continues to be pretty 'meh' in my opinion. Sawyer's fight was alright. Though I don't really care about the character, especially as a rival.