• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Vanilla Venison

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barbeller

Scatter Brained
Hello, and welcome to Vanilla Venison, a sun Rate My Team. I have played BW since near the beginning, and this is my favourite team. It may not be my best, but I love this team, despite only recently making it. It is a style I don't play often - offense. At least I believe it to be. As the name suggests, it is plain, like vanilla, but unusual, like venison. Weather being the vanilla, the complimentary back-ups are the venison.

38.png
586.png
637.png
3.png
385.png
485.png

38.png
586.png

I knew I wanted to do a team based around Sawsbuck. Deer also makes Venison, so that's part of the reason to my name. Now, Sawsbuck always functions best in Sun, so I added Ninetales as well, to cover that. It seemed a nice base, and although at that point I had little enthusiasm.

38.png
586.png
637.png

If Sawsbuck was to be part of a core, it was going to be an offensive, set-up core. So, I added the most threatening sun sweeper in OU. What else could it be?

38.png
586.png
637.png
3.png

I had a biggish rock weakness at that point, and I needed a final member to the core. I added Venusaur, and it allows me to put things to sleep - even for itself, or for other members of the team. However, often I find I cannot sweep with it and it is just a support pokemon, so I am looking for a replacement to it.

38.png
586.png
637.png
3.png
385.png

A suicide Jirachi would let me get my sweepers set up to go, and it helps to revenge or stop opposing sweeper. It is part of a support that is designed to cripple the opponent, and it does it job extremely well.

38.png
586.png
637.png
3.png
385.png
485.png

Finally, I had a weakness to Flying and Fire, and Heatran helps cover these. It also lets me Will-o-Wisp opponents and stall them to death, or just commit suicide for my sweepers. The team was ready to go.

038.gif

Ninetales @ Leftovers
Trait: Drought
EVs: 128 HP / 252 SAtk / 20 SDef / 108 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Sunny Day
- SolarBeam
- Fire Blast
- Will-O-Wisp

The Sunny Day Ninetales. This ingenious creation helps me win weather wars, as well as cripple physical leads, such as Donphan who can't do anything once they are Will-O-Wisp'd. I use Ninetales as my lead most of the time, unless Jirachi is more suited to the situation, such as against Aerodactyl, Meinshao, or to Trick something to prevent them from doing their job. Sunny Day lets me punch holes in an opposing weather team when they can't keep in their weather starter. Solar Beam is what lets me hit Tyranitar, Politoed and Hippowdon hard, as well as being useful to KO certain pokemon in their team, if I can correctly predict switch ins. Will-O-Wisp lets me burn any physical sweepers, basically crippling them.

586.gif

Sawsbuck @ Leftovers
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 136 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 116 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Horn Leech
- Return
- Nature Power

Once sun is up, and I have Swords Danced, Sawsbuck can tear through teams as quick as light - if any Scizor or Conkeldurr are out of the way. And even if they aren't they need a free switch in so that's atleast one KO. A Scizor's Bullet Punch does 70% anyway, so if I've got that to give, then I'm fine. The EV spread is given to get the biggest attacking power, while also meaning it can pull of Swords Dance. Horn Leech is it's recovery move, possible allowing it to restore enough HP it needs to take a hit, making it a very useful move. Return is the primary STAB, reaching 153 base power with STAB included. Nature Power is an extremely useful coverage move, in simulators and wifi it basically means it can use Earthquake, which allows it to hit the likes of Steels and Chandelure hard.

637.gif

Volcarona @ Leftovers
Trait: Flame Body
EVs: 240 HP / 216 Def / 52 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Quiver Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Fiery Dance
- Morning Sun

Bulky Volcarona. Something that I had not previously tried, prefering ChestoRest over it. Once I have gone round burning everything or Tricking them, Volcarona can get an easy set up, meaning that nothing can get in it's way. The EV spread focuses on bulk which lets me set-up, while also allowing me to outspeed base 120s at +1. This set might seem like it doesn't have the raw power to sweep, but it does, because it can get more Quiver Dances. 2 or 3 Quiver Dances with bulky investment are better than 1 with offensive investment. Quiver Dance lets me boost my Special Attack, Speed and my Special Defense. The latter two can also mean that i get more Quiver Dances. Bug Buzz lets me hit water types hard, while Fiery Dance is the STAB of choice for most other pokemon. Morning Sun is extremely useful, as it can allow me to get to +6 every so often, and if the opponent isn't playing correctly.

You may have noticed at the beggining that I haven't got a Rapid Spinner. That is because this set takes Stealth Rock better than most Volcarona. Say, if I can switch in on say, a burned Dragonite they can't do anything about me, because an Earthquake doesn't do 50% damage, and rarely ever do they manage to gets spikes up as well, as the primary spikers are O/2HKOed by most of my team, and they get set-up on by Jirachi or Sawsbuck. Another reason why I have no Rapid Spin support is that there are generally no hazards on the field. Ninetales and Jirachi can often prevent Stealth Rock from getting up, and if not they can give a free switch-in so that it can use Morning Sun.

003.gif

Venusaur @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Growth
- Sleep Powder
- SolarBeam
- Hidden Power [Fire]

My second Chlorophyll sweeper. It can also be a brilliant support pokemon, as it carries Sleep Powder. I'm finding that I can't say much about it really, as it's quite a simple pokemon. Set-up and sweep, or just Sleep Powder things so that it can sweep, or so that Volcarona or Sawsbuck can sweep, depending on the team. Growth lets me boost my Special Attack to a brilliant +2, meaning that not much can stop it. Sleep Powder is it's main asset, it can use it to get it's counters out of the way, or to just set up, or to get a counter to the team out of the way. Solar Beam is it's STAB, while Hidden Power [Fire] gives coverage on steels. Dragons that would normally be it's counters, are at this point normally scarfed and/or burned, which make them pretty pathetic counters.

385.gif

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Trick
- Ice Punch
- Iron Head
- ThunderPunch

Ah, Scarfrachi. This pokemon is probably my favourite pokemon in the current metagame, and I have played with it since I began. This star can Trick to allow my team to set up, or try and Freeze or Paralyse with the Elemental Punches. It can also be a hard counter to many leads, such as Aerodactyl, Meinshao, Mamoswine as well as others. Trick is the sets main thing, messing up the opponents strategy. Ice Punch hits hard on Salamence, Dragonite and hits Gliscor hard if it tries to switch in, although not getting a KO. Iron Head can be used to hit leads hard as my STAB, or can be abused to flinch things into oblivion, especially if they're burned. Thunder Punch is mainly there for rain teams, and it can also paralyse. I am considering replacing one of the punches with Fire Punch, not for the sun boost, but for the burn chance.

485.gif

Heatran @ Leftovers
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 160 SDef / 100 Spd
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Lava Plume
- Stealth Rock
- Protect
- Will-O-Wisp

Heatran is another way to burn the opponent. It is also my Stealth Rocker, however I often find I am not using it. I find this pokemon also counters sand teams well, as often they switch in their counters to Heatran immediately, not suspecting a Will-O-Wisp. I can then switch and easily set up on them, or switch and sacrifice, say, Venusaur to get another sand sweeper down. At that point there is normally not much they can do, and it's simply a matter of wearing them down. Lava Plume is my attack, it allows me to hurt opposing pokemon fairly hard if sun is up. Stealth Rock can be used to mean that that I can sweep easier, or just wear the opponent down so they can't switch much. Protect is used to stall a burn, or to get Leftovers recovery.

You may notice that Heatran is a more stally pokemon on an offensive team. This team has the ability to easily switch from offense to stall, using Heatran and Jirachi to wear things down, and the offensive core to push past any counters. The ability to do this means that the team is harder to counter.

This team is about crippling the opponent, then abusing sweepers to rip through everything, because their counters will hopefully be burned, asleep, or scarfed. As previously said, I love this team, and I hope you like it too. I don't actually know how good this team is, because I've not really had the time to test it much, but I hope it is good, and if it's not, hopefully it will be made so by this RMT.

Code:
Apollo (Ninetales) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Drought
EVs: 128 HP / 252 SAtk / 20 SDef / 108 Spd
- Sunny Day
- SolarBeam
- Fire Blast
- Will-O-Wisp

Athena (Sawsbuck-Winter) (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 136 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 116 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Horn Leech
- Return
- Nature Power

Zeus (Heatran) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 160 SDef / 100 Spd
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Lava Plume
- Stealth Rock
- Protect
- Will-O-Wisp

Mars (Volcarona) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Flame Body
EVs: 240 HP / 216 Def / 52 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Quiver Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Fiery Dance
- Morning Sun

Artemis (Venusaur) (F) @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Growth
- Sleep Powder
- SolarBeam
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Gaia (Jirachi) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Trick
- Ice Punch
- Iron Head
- ThunderPunch

Last edited:

Hatsune Miku

i dont like your team because it melted my vanilla ice cream
As my volcarona is 252 spatk and hurricane>morning sun but my one is offensive :3
and if i used a trick jirachi i would do Choice band>choice scarf
and as you said it has a massive ground weakness so the only moves that will kill then is: solar beam and iron head i think...

and im no good at rating teams so i'd say this is pretty well done :D(ok i dont die anymore cause i rated it )

Barbeller

Scatter Brained
i dont like your team because it melted my vanilla ice cream
As my volcarona is 252 spatk and hurricane>morning sun but my one is offensive :3
and if i used a trick jirachi i would do Choice band>choice scarf
and as you said it has a massive ground weakness so the only moves that will kill then is: solar beam and iron head i think...

and im no good at rating teams so i'd say this is pretty well done :D(ok i dont die anymore cause i rated it )

OK, thanks for that.

Trick Jirachi needs the speed as it is useful for outspeeding things. Sub Disable Gengar is only beaten because of the Scarf.

Ground weakness is normally covered by burning and Earthquakers, seeing as not much carries Earth Power, however I will keep it in mind.

Thanks for the rate!

SilentOmen

Shadow of Prophecy
Barring Nature power on Sawsbuck, your team will have problems with opposing heatran with a more offensive move set. Adding an HP Ground / Fighting here and there wouldn't hurt to cover it. It's never a great thing when your go to for handling Heatran risks a OHKO on the switch by a Lava Plume. I suppose Jirachi can hit it for neutral, but it also suffers the same risk of being hit by an unwanted Lava Plume.

Barbeller

Scatter Brained
Barring Nature power on Sawsbuck, your team will have problems with opposing heatran with a more offensive move set. Adding an HP Ground / Fighting here and there wouldn't hurt to cover it. It's never a great thing when your go to for handling Heatran risks a OHKO on the switch by a Lava Plume. I suppose Jirachi can hit it for neutral, but it also suffers the same risk of being hit by an unwanted Lava Plume.

If I see a Heatran, I normally suicide Jirachi then set up all over it, using a pokemon depending on the move it KOed Jirachi with.

I might consider changing Volcarona for a more offensive variety, with Hidden Power [Ground]...

Lickilicky.my.Skitty

Since Red & Blue!
So you're completely dependent on Ninetales Drought? I mean...I saw that Ninetales has Sunny Day. But how does that work for you? Only having one weather activator?

Barbeller

Scatter Brained
So you're completely dependent on Ninetales Drought? I mean...I saw that Ninetales has Sunny Day. But how does that work for you? Only having one weather activator?

Well, basically, I can predict a Tyranitar or Politoed coming in, and use Sunny Day. Their weather is now deactivated, and replaced with sun. They can't stay in for fear of Solar Beam (if they do stay in, I KO and have won the weather war), so I get a free switch, and blast a member of their team with either Fire Blast or Solar Beam.

Lickilicky.my.Skitty

Since Red & Blue!
Well, basically, I can predict a Tyranitar or Politoed coming in, and use Sunny Day. Their weather is now deactivated, and replaced with sun. They can't stay in for fear of Solar Beam (if they do stay in, I KO and have won the weather war), so I get a free switch, and blast a member of their team with either Fire Blast or Solar Beam.

I guess, yeah, it'd be easy to predict such a thing. lol. Why does everyone forget Abamosnow? I run a hail team and I'm always afraid to just rely on Snow Warning.

SilentOmen

Shadow of Prophecy
I guess, yeah, it'd be easy to predict such a thing. lol. Why does everyone forget Abamosnow? I run a hail team and I'm always afraid to just rely on Snow Warning.

People forget about Abamosnow because it has averaging stats and a terrible defensive typing. Ninetales scores a STAB x4 Super Effective hit on it. And all hail does is cause a bit of damage that is healed by leftovers and makes blizzard 100% accurate.

Most hail teams aren't even considered serious weather threats. They are a devious disruptive tactic though....

Dragonicwari

Artistically angry
If you want to replace venusaur I recommend whimsiscott, sableye, or breloom. Whimsiscott will essentially be the same thing as venusaur, but It can use a different, more defensive moveset. Sableye is basically the same thing, only without the fire weakness. Lastly breloom can put things to sleep (much more reliably) and be a monster to anyone not prepared for it

If you want to replace venusaur I recommend whimsiscott, sableye, or breloom. Whimsiscott will essentially be the same thing as venusaur, but It can use a different, more defensive moveset. Sableye is basically the same thing, only without the fire weakness. Lastly breloom can put things to sleep (much more reliably) and be a monster to anyone not prepared for it

If you go the Breloom route, a Spore, Substitute, Focus Punch, Seed Bomb set really works. Although I ran that in the Rain to get rid of Fire...

Utopian

faults & feats
wheres your spinner lol

and you lose to air balloon flame charge tran! run jump kick > nature power on bucky c:

Barbeller

Scatter Brained
wheres your spinner lol

and you lose to air balloon flame charge tran! run jump kick > nature power on bucky c:
I can actually normally keep rocks off the field, and even then they don't pose a threat to volcy the majority of the time.

And i lose to FC tran, yeah, but when is it even gonna be used? 75% accuracy on HJK is more risky tbh. FC tran is still sexy tho
Typo on your buck description, it says 'team through teams' I assume you meant tear?
Oh yeah, oops lol.

Your team is walled so badly by Heatran a Specially Defensive tran takes 20% or less from every single attack on your team barring Nature Power.

Hard to say how to fix this. You can run Earthquake on Venusaur.. maybe over Growth.

Barbeller

Scatter Brained
Your team is walled so badly by Heatran a Specially Defensive tran takes 20% or less from every single attack on your team barring Nature Power.

Hard to say how to fix this. You can run Earthquake on Venusaur.. maybe over Growth.

I'll play around with that, thanks!

First person to suggest changes that need to be made -.-

ParaChomp

be your own guru

Or even use Venusaur mainly as a weather killer as opposed to a sweeper (which it can still do). I've used one on a rain team on Pokémon Online and bar the odd time (physical walls, Focus Sash users, Choice Scarf users, Abomasnow, ♪Heatran on a Balloon♪), it works wonders.

Now I'm going to have to agree on Blue Harvest with this one, Earthquake is recommended, thus fully physical is the way to go or run Frenzy Plant (which I've found useful when running mixed but it creates its own weaknesses). Luckily, majority of the problems I mentioned in the previous paragraph are countered by the rest of your team.

Venusaur
Adamant nature
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Life Orb
- Sleep Powder
- Growth
- Wood Hammer
- Earthquake

Basic stuff, it explains itself. Another opinion, I think your team could benefit from a Fighting type (Infernape over Heatran possibly, or even Jump Kick on Swasbuck) but I'd wait to hear the opinions of others before you consider this.

Barbeller

Scatter Brained
OK, that looks even better! Testing atm.

EDIT: I assume you mean Power Whip, not Wood Hammer? Wood Hammer is not obtainable on Venusaur.

EDIT2: Seed Bomb even.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.