• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Vanity Affair! (378)

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
Vanity Affair!

After his win at the Mossdeep Gym, Ash & Co. meet up with the Elite 4 Member Drake. Soon after boarding Drake's boat, Ash is challenged to a match. Can Ash prove his worth against this Elite Trainer?

Visit The Episode Guide

Discuss

A very interesting episode. One of the new E4 members appears, a good battle I'm guessing will take place. Sounds good to me!

S

Shiny May

Well I saw the pics and it's a good eppie
The Torkoal vs. Scizor battle is good and I also like the Pika vs Shellgon and Altaria vs. Grovyle battle. I like the way Altaria flames at a certain moment.
Also good to see Salamence again, it just looks extremely cool !!!

I don't understand the part where Drake picks up Grovyle and Ash seems to be a bit angered.
And a nice scene in the end where Ash is being cheered up and when that happens, May also cheers up. It caught my eye
From the pics I've seen this looks like a fantastic eppie

N

Nameless

Probably Drake was giving Ash some advice. I mean, who wouldn't? Using a pokemon with a type disadvantage against a pokemon with a clearly greater experience, power, and status.

It was nice to see Torkoal get some exercise.

Poor Grovyle, but like Oak said there are always bumps along the way.

£añkaÑ

~Thîrûttû R⚢âl~
Tamer Zack said:
In the beginning is that the same kid that was in Voice of the Forest with a Crocanaw.

Yea...it did look like it...but a bit different...hmm could it be...if so it would have been nice if they had shown the Crocanaw again...or it's evolution...lol

hmm oh well...the only thing i didn't really like of this EP was that Grovyle looked a bit bad drawned in the battle espically when he was picked up by drake....

Geodude

[img135]http://members.shaw.ca/GeodudesPokeShots/profoak/ag102treecko.jpg[/img135]

This is from Oak's Pokemon Lecture at the end of this episode. You'd think the good Professor would've known better than to hold onto Treecko's tail. :p

Murgatroyd

Dull Manga Avatar
This episode, Satoshi received a much-needed lesson on overconfidence, and the importance of focusing on the present battle.
Shiny May said:
I don't understand the part where Drake picks up Grovyle and Ash seems to be a bit angered.
He was mostly angry at himself there. He'd failed to do his best in a serious battle, and his pokemon had paid the price. Genji was simply telling him that though Juputoru wasn't seriously hurt, he should take it to the Pokemon Center.

Nameless said:
Probably Drake was giving Ash some advice. I mean, who wouldn't? Using a pokemon with a type disadvantage against a pokemon with a clearly greater experience, power, and status.
The advice Genji gave Satoshi had nothing to do with that. He recognized that Satoshi had good, solid strategy, even if it was rather unconventional. His advice was more about mindset than about the battle itself.

I do hope Satoshi follows Genji's advice from the last scene. "Don't worry about losing; keep battling stronger and stronger opponents."

F

Flamez041

Ok so Ash got rocked not a surprise since he was on a winning streak and it was about time he lost. But if you ask me I think the writers are extremely dumb because if you look at it Ash has been through Indigo, Orange, Johto and now Hoenn. He has battled Gym leaders and very strong trainers, it seems pretty stupid that Drake destroys Ash in the battle. Ash should've atleast put up a fight meaning show Ash's pokemon doing some damage to Drake's pokemon. Ash has beaten gym leaders and trainers but still hes no match for an Elite 4 member, thats dumb. (My opinion)

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Elite 4 trainers are the best of the best, of course Ash is going to lose. If he beat an E4 trainer NOW, and then lost to some normal kid in the Hoenn league, how would that make sense?

Just because the E4 in the games are fairly weak, doesn't mean they are in the anime.

Murgatroyd

Dull Manga Avatar
Flamez041 said:
Ok so Ash got rocked not a surprise since he was on a winning streak and it was about time he lost. But if you ask me I think the writers are extremely dumb because if you look at it Ash has been through Indigo, Orange, Johto and now Hoenn. He has battled Gym leaders and very strong trainers, it seems pretty stupid that Drake destroys Ash in the battle. Ash should've atleast put up a fight meaning show Ash's pokemon doing some damage to Drake's pokemon. Ash has beaten gym leaders and trainers but still hes no match for an Elite 4 member, thats dumb. (My opinion)
Ash did put up a fight. He was actually doing extremely well in the first battle, until he made the critical error of having Pikachu go in close. If he hadn't done that, Drake's slow Shelgon wouldn't have been able to touch Pikachu. But when he did make that one mistake, it was over.

Drake battles on a different level from most trainers. For him, the actual attacks are almost an afterthought. The real battle is in reading the opponent, and maneuvering into a position to take advantage of weaknesses.

T

The Lapras Trainer

Of course Ash is going to lose. He's going against one of the toughest members of the Hoenn Elite Four (even tougher with that Kingdra in Emerald), and he's not even done yet when you have Glacia showing up.

Geodude

Murgatroyd said:
Drake battles on a different level from most trainers. For him, the actual attacks are almost an afterthought. The real battle is in reading the opponent, and maneuvering into a position to take advantage of weaknesses.

Exactly. That's why Drake allowed Ash to get in that first hit with Thunderbolt. He knew Shelgon could easily take it, and he wanted time to read Ash's strategies.

Tamer Zack

SPP forgotten member
The Lapras Trainer said:
Of course Ash is going to lose. He's going against one of the toughest members of the Hoenn Elite Four (even tougher with that Kingdra in Emerald), and he's not even done yet when you have Glacia showing up.

Knowing Ash while battling Glacia he'll have a flashback of what Drake said and win against Glacia if he even battles her.

Btw when Altaria light up and head toward Grovyle was that it's Sky Attack or something else.

Last edited:

Murgatroyd

Dull Manga Avatar
Tamer Zack said:
Btw when Altaria light up and head toward Grovyle was that it's Sky Attack or something else.
Yes, that was Sky Attack.

For the record, there's no confirmation yet that Ash will be facing Glacia at any time in the near future.

Dogasu

Frustrated Elf
I watched the episode last night and was ready to write the summary thing, but I had a big test to study for. Do you guys still want the bullet point summary?

Brinstar

you suffer
Dogasu said:
I watched the episode last night and was ready to write the summary thing, but I had a big test to study for. Do you guys still want the bullet point summary?

Yes, if you have time to write it that would be great. I've been hounding this thread waiting for you to post one in, lol. Itching to know just went down in this fight.

N

Nameless

Dogasu said:

It would be better, easier, and faster for all of us if you just placed in the major details. Don't need too much detail, just a general broad idea of what happened in the episode.

He has battled Gym leaders and very strong trainers, it seems pretty stupid that Drake destroys Ash in the battle. Ash should've atleast put up a fight meaning show Ash's pokemon doing some damage to Drake's pokemon. Ash has beaten gym leaders and trainers but still hes no match for an Elite 4 member, thats dumb. (My opinion)

Question for you if you think it's dumb, why do you think they call this guy an elite? None of those trainers or gym leaders are at the same level as this elite guys who obviously are like Ash, when young they went through similiar experiences and defeated numerous opponents and gym leaders.

He's an elite because not only are his pokemon are strong and experienced but he knows how to fight and understands his own strength and studies his opponents quickly and exploits any weakness the moment it pops up. IMO that's a dangerous opponent to deal with and requires almost perfect technique to avoid it.

H

Hales

So Ash lost, got some advice.

My main concern is how nice was Drake when he was giving Ash advice? :) because it looks like he became good mates with Drake at the end of the episode (that's another reason why I love it when Ash meets very important trainers, he becomes good friends with them)

I just saw the picture of Ash on the tenth page first picture (I think it's when he recalls Grovyle) he looked like had tears in his eyes :(

Why oh why does TR have to ruin the moment by stealing Pikachu, but I love how Drake rescues Pikachu.

Actually now that I really think about it, I'd rather Ash lost to Elite trainers, rather than win and then lose to trainers his age (should of realised that sooner).