• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Vanity Affair! (378)

Geodude

How nice was Drake? Well, he was quite...fatherly, almost. (No, don't get any ideas. It's just the best comparison I could come up with.) He spoke firmly and with conviction, and was willing to pass on whatever advice he thought was appropriate. As Murg mentioned, he complimented the things Ash did right, and gave him advice on how to improve. I got the impression that he picks and chooses his students carefully. He saw Ash beat that trainer's Scizor using his Torkoal, and decided to teach him a few things.

H

Hales

Geodude said:
How nice was Drake? Well, he was quite...fatherly, almost. (No, don't get any ideas. It's just the best comparison I could come up with.) He spoke firmly and with conviction, and was willing to pass on whatever advice he thought was appropriate. As Murg mentioned, he complimented the things Ash did right, and gave him advice on how to improve. I got the impression that he picks and chooses his students carefully. He saw Ash beat that trainer's Scizor using his Torkoal, and decided to teach him a few things.

Don't worry I wouldn't get any 'father' ideas, but I always considered trainers of the E4 (Lance, Steven, Bruce, Drake) would coach Ash, and since he's never had a 'fatherly' figure (except of course Prof. Oak) I always like hearing it :)

Was the match between Torkoal and Scizor really good?

Pokeballs

Custom Torkoal 01
That would be awesome if you could find the time for a bullet point sypnopsis Dogasu ^^ you do great work on them
The battle with Drake looked awesome, and Torkoal got some action! =D
and of course thanks serebii for the pics :p

Last edited:

The Big Al

I just keeping Octo
I was thinking, maybe Ash will Grovelye Dragon Claw. Maybe Drake explains to Ash that althrough Grovyle isn't a dragon type, it does have dragon like features and can learn Dragon attacks. We'll have to see.

Anyway, this looked like a very entertaining episode surrounding battles. We also finally get to see a member of the Hoenn elite. However, it's one of the episodes where Team rcoekt could have stayed in bed.

Bulba the Great!

We Do Not Sow
It's good Ash used Torkoal again, we haven't seen him in a while. And Sky Attack makes what I think is its first appearance(?). Drake looks and battles awesome, he looks exactly the way I imagined him. If you have time, could you do the bullet synopsis, Dogasu?

Cheers!
~Bulby ;001;

L

Lady Dragonrider

Sounds like a Prima repeat. Am I under a false impression?

ChaosMage

Izit cuz I is black?
Hmmm... I can't really comment on the power of the Elite 4 when you see my fanfic involving Ash battling the 4 (and Steven) which I'm currently working through. BTW Torkoal will probably battle Glacia and Corphish will battle in the fossil episode. Have they finally realised?

V Faction

www.faction.com
Well, it looks like I received my wish. Grovyle got whipped. Is this a first for it? Or possibly a second time?

Some stuff I couldn't tell from the pictures:

-Shelgon fired off a Dragonbreath, but was the final attack it used against Pikachu a Dragon Claw?
-Most of the Altaria vs Grovyle battle was very choppy. Would anyone mind listing the attacks it used in order.
-Another thing I couldn't tell, but was the Salamence that struck at Team Rocket the same Shelgon or a different Pokemon altogether?

Drake is my hero. Yarr.

Swellow

Spider Sceptile
Hmm Wouldn't this Be Salamence's 2nd Anime Appearance It's my Fav. Dragon Type overall

JazzJazz

V Faction said:
-Another thing I couldn't tell, but was the Salamence that struck at Team Rocket the same Shelgon or a different Pokemon altogether?

Serebii's updated bio for Drake reveals that he has both a shelgon and a salamence... hence they're different pokemon altogether.

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
My impressions from looking at screenshots of the battle.

The battle with Torkoal was great. Overheat looks awesome as ever (lots of pretty art in this episode), and Scizor uses Hyper Beam by charging up a energy sphere in both of its claws! Yay! That's how I always imagined a Hyper Beam from Scizor would look like.

*Question: How did the beam fire? Was it an individual beam from each claw or did Scizor merge the beams into oen by throwing its claws together? Or did Ash interrupt the attack somehow so it never fired?*

I should note that the design of the episodes attacks REALLY impressed me. In the past Dragon Claw has looked much like Crush Claw, just some glowing claws, but in this episode Dragon Claw gets its own unique hue and appearence. Similarly, Sky Attack has in the past been shown as a somewhat plain white glowing form, but here we get to see it in a form that really fits it's original name best, God Bird, with Altaria coating its whole body in a aura of flaming energy and diving forward. Dragonbreath also looks much better. In the past it was shown as causing little damage, mostly paralysis, and looked rather more like green steam than a strong attack. When Drake's Pokemon used it it had power that was on a whole other level, truly a attack that should be called Dragonbreath.

My best guess on the sequence of attacks used by Drakes' Pokemon (since someone asked and no one has answered yet)

Pikachu vs. Shelgon:

Dragonbreath, followed immediately by Dragon Claw.

Grovyle vs. Altaria:

Some kind of pecking attack. Could be plain old Peck, Fury Attack or Aerial Ace (I think the latter is most likely), followed by Dragon Breath. It then used Sky Attack, which Grovyle managed to dodge, then finished the battle with what loooks to have been a Solarbeam.

*Question: What was with the guy next to May, Max and Brock? The sailor who kept smirking, what did his comments basically consists of? Was he simply remarking each time that he was certain Drake would win or something?*

<><><>

*Other notes*

TR had little role in this episode but it was funny when they imagined Drake "blasting them off" with a single punch of his mighty middle-aged fist! The guy definately made an impression on them.

I gotta say, I like Drake ten times more now than before. In the games he just seemed like a cheap Lance rip-off, but in the anime they made him a great Dragon Master in his own right with his own cool look. He's not as strong as Lance of course, but almost no one is in the anime world.

From what has been said here about Drakes words of wisdom to Ash, I think he may grow more from this experience than he did even from meeting Prima/Lorelai. It doesn't sound like the episode gave too much more info on how exactly one becomes a Pokemon Master, but certainly Drake's advice has something to do with it. To not be afraid of losing, and to continue to seek the strongest opponents he can, Ash will grow much stronger much faster than he would if he only battled trainers he was sure he could beat. ^_^

Geodude

Pokemon Fan said:
*Question: How did the beam fire? Was it an individual beam from each claw or did Scizor merge the beams into oen by throwing its claws together? Or did Ash interrupt the attack somehow so it never fired?*

Both beams merged into one, IIRC, just in front of its claws.

My best guess on the sequence of attacks used by Drakes' Pokemon (since someone asked and no one has answered yet)

Pikachu vs. Shelgon:

Dragonbreath, followed immediately by Dragon Claw.

Correct. And the yellow glowing attack Shelgon used that Pikachu dodged using Quick Attack was Double-Edge.

Grovyle vs. Altaria:

Some kind of pecking attack. Could be plain old Peck, Fury Attack or Aerial Ace (I think the latter is most likely), followed by Dragon Breath. It then used Sky Attack, which Grovyle managed to dodge, then finished the battle with what loooks to have been a Solarbeam.

The pecking attack was simply Peck, and the finishing blow was indeed Solarbeam.

*Question: What was with the guy next to May, Max and Brock? The sailor who kept smirking, what did his comments basically consists of? Was he simply remarking each time that he was certain Drake would win or something?*

He's one of Drake's crew. I think you're pretty much right, he seemed to be filling in Brock and the others on how Drake battles. Judging by his demeanor and tone of voice, he was 100% confident Drake would kick butt, and he did.

TR had little role in this episode but it was funny when they imagined Drake "blasting them off" with a single punch of his mighty middle-aged fist! The guy definately made an impression on them.

Yes...I didn't understand most of the Japanese, but I got the impression that, in the restaurant, Drake ordered something they didn't know how to make, or something like that. And his demeanor and overall badass-ness really intimidated them. :D

From what has been said here about Drakes words of wisdom to Ash, I think he may grow more from this experience than he did even from meeting Prima/Lorelai.

True. Drake's advice was of an entirely different nature than Lorelei's, since unlike Lorelei, Drake had intended to take Ash under his wing the whole time.

V Faction said:

Yes, as mentioned above, they were two different Pokemon. Shelgon was recalled after the battle against Pikachu was finished, and Salamence was sent out at the end of the episode to deal with Team Rocket.

Last edited:

Murgatroyd

Dull Manga Avatar
Geodude said:
Both beams merged into one, IIRC, just in front of its claws.
[img200]http://homepage.mac.com/murgatroyd314/scizhbeam.jpg[/img200]

The pecking attack was simply Peck, and the finishing blow was indeed Solarbeam.
Actually, I'm fairly sure it wasn't a pecking attack at all. The sound is unclear, but it can't possibly have been tsutsuku (Peck). I think it was tosshin (Take Down).

He's one of Drake's crew. I think you're pretty much right, he seemed to be filling in Brock and the others on how Drake battles. Judging by his demeanor and tone of voice, he was 100% confident Drake would kick butt, and he did.
Not just one of the crew. One of Drake's top students. He provided expert analysis of both sides of the battle, even explaining to Max, May, and Brock why Ash chose Grovyle for the second battle.

Yes...I didn't understand most of the Japanese, but I got the impression that, in the restaurant, Drake ordered something they didn't know how to make, or something like that. And his demeanor and overall badass-ness really intimidated them. :D
He didn't order anything particularly difficult. Just hot milk. With a bit of sugar. And it had better taste just like it does when the usual cook is working at that restaurant.

C

Crystal Latios

Myu note: 5/10

It could be better.
Pluses:
- Drake was cool
- Ash lost with him
- Nice ending
- Music from "Jirachi. Wish Maker"
Minuses:
- Ehhh.... a lot of dialogues. It should be only a huge fight. I remember that battle between Lorelei and Ash. It was more exciting. Here, characters are very talkative.
- A lot of May. It was a episode about Ash, but I have feelings, she had much more dialogues than Satoshi.
- Why TR wanted steal a Pikachu? They could know, that Drake will kick them. So why did they do that?

greatfire

Rainbow Trainer
Murgatroyd said:
The sound is unclear, but it can't possibly have been tsutsuku (Peck). I think it was tosshin (Take Down).
It does not sound like tosshin to me, but I think that you are better at this than me. Personally, I don't think it is the name of any technique, just a simple "attack" command or something like that.

Also another technique was used in the battle: when Grovyle were going to hit Altaria with Leaf Blade from above, Drake commanded Aerial Ace to avoid the hit, and before it connected, commanded Solar Beam (Drake said something about combinations earlier in the episode).

Last edited:

Dogasu

Frustrated Elf
Sorry for the lateness of this. I’ve had tests to study for/birthday celebrations to attend to, so I haven’t had the time to write this. But, as they say, better late than never:

-The episode starts at a dock in the middle of a battle between Ash and an unnamed trainer. Ash’s using Torkoal while the trainer uses Hassamu. Torkoal uses some sort of fire attack (Flamethrower?), but it misses. Hassamu responds with a Hyper Beam attack, but Torkoal tucks itself into its shell, negating the effects of the attack. As Torkoal emerges from its shell, unharmed, Ash smiles and throws up a peace sign. Hassamu’s onslaught doesn’t stop as it charges with what I think is a Metal Claw attack. Torkoal responds with Overheat, which hits the Bug-Type. Hassamu faints from the attack, and Brock (who’s been refereeing) declares Ash to be the winner. The trainer says that Ash must be so skillful because he has seven Houen League badges.

-Nearby, Drake is seen watching the battle from afar.

-Elsewhere in the dock, a restaurant is seen. Inside, it’s revealed that Jessie, James, and Meowth are working there part time! As Jessie and James are cleaning, they wonder where the twerp could be at the moment. After looking longingly at the ocean scenery, Drake walks through the door! Jessie and James inform Drake that the regular staff isn’t there today, but Drake doesn’t seem to care. He orders a hot milk with sugar, and tells the trio that it had better taste the same as it would if the regular staff was there. Team Rocket is intimidated.

-Outside, Ash and the others are looking for a place to relax after the recent battle. They spot the restaurant that Jessie and the others are working in, and they decide to sit at one of the tables outside the building. After settling down, Max brings up the recent battle, and how Torkoal had a type advantage, and Ash states that he won’t lose to anyone who challenges him. Just then, James comes outside to take the customers’ orders, but when he notices who they are, he does a double take. It’s the twerps! James nervously runs off, confusing Ash and the others.

-Inside, Drake notices Ash and the others sitting outside.

-In the restaurant’s kitchen, Jessie and the others plot to kidnap Pikachu. However, they decide against their regular tactics when they imagine Drake making them blast off again with his massive punch. They’ll have to bide their time for the time being.

-Back outside, Brock asks May about her next contest. Suddenly, Drake approaches the group and tells the young coordinator that her choice of pokemon is very important. She thanks him for the advice.

-Inside, Jessie suddenly realizes who Drake is…he’s a member of the Elite Four! Team Rocket is surprised.

-Outside, Drake compliments Ash on his battle with Torkoal, pointing out that he had good timing. Ash thanks him, and introduces himself, and his friends follow suit. Drake then invites everyone to his boat, and everyone agrees that that’s something they would like to do. Suddenly, Jessie appears, and Drake brings up the milk. Jessie is intimidated by the Elite Four member, but she is relieved when she’s complimented on the drink. I think at some point, the Team Rocket members are invited to Drake’s boat as well.

-The gang (including Team Rocket) is led to the edge of one of the docks. Drake stands at the edge and stares at the ocean, waiting for his boat to arrive. The boat emerges from the distance, but it looks more like a pirate ship than the small boat Ash and the others were imagining! Members of the ship greet their captain as the ship docks. As Wingull fly overhead, Brock marvels at the ship’s large masts. Max then asks Drake to show them his pokemon, and Ash eagerly joins in. Drake asks for a battle with Ash instead, and the young trainer agrees almost immediately. Brock yells at Ash to wait and think about his decision, but Ash is confident that he’ll win. Meanwhile, the Team Rocket members say that it’s their chance.

-And the battle starts! Drake chooses a Shellgon while Ash chooses Pikachu. Ash seems confident, thinking that Pikachu’s speed will give it the advantage. Pikachu starts off by using Thunderbolt, and it hits Shellgon directly as Drake seems calm. It uses the attack again, and Shellgon just sits there and takes it, again. Drake’s pokemon starts to glow as May and James comment on the battle.

-Shellgon now takes the offensive as it charges toward Pikachu with Double Edge, but the mouse pokemon is able to avoid it with a Quick Attack. Pikachu then uses Iron Tail, but Drake remains calm. Shellgon responds with Dragon Breath, and then follows with Dragon Claw. The two attacks prove to be too much for Pikachu, and the little pokemon faints.

---commercial break---

-Ash picks up Pikachu as Brock comments on Drake’s strength. One of the members of the crew (I think he’s the guy who’s listed as Yoshimitsu in the credits) describes how strong the captain is as the battle resumes.

-Drake brings out Altaria, and Ash responds with Grovyle. Max is worried because Grass Types are weak against Flying Types, but Ash seems to have a plan. He tells Grovyle to jump from mast to mast, allowing it to reach the flying pokemon. It then uses Bullet Seed, but Altaria is able to avoid it by ducking behind one of the masts. Grovyle then uses Leaf Blade, but Altaria seems to have disappeared! Suddenly, it appears from behind with a Peck attack! Altaria then uses Dragon Breath, knocking Grovyle to the ground! Drake’s pokemon then charges downward with a Sky Attack, but Ash’s Grass-Type is able to dodge it with Quick Attack. It then throws a Leaf Blade at the opponent, but Altaria dodges that attack as well. It answers the attack with Solar Beam, which hits Grovyle. The pokemon crashes right through two barrels before slamming against a wall, knocking it out.

-Drake picks up Ash’s pokemon and tells the young trainer that its injuries aren’t too serious, but that it should go to the Pokemon Center right after the battle. Ash recalls his pokemon as the battle comes to an end. Drake invites everyone to have dinner on his ship after Ash’s pokemon are finished with the Pokemon Center, and everyone happily accepts. On the side, May is holding the now-conscious Pikachu. As Jessie puts on a pair of rubber gloves, James offers May a drink. She takes it, putting Pikachu down in the process. Jessie quickly snatches the pokemon up, and Team Rocket jumps to their balloon, which is seen floating nearby. The trio recites their motto as they reveal who they are to the group.

-Drake wastes no time in calling out his Salamence. The dragon pokemon uses Dragon Claw on the balloon’s basket, causing the balloon to violently shake. Jessie drops Pikachu, and Salamence swoops in to save the pokemon. Salamence, now with Pikachu riding on its back, uses a Flamthrower attack on the balloon, causing Team Rocket to blast off again. As May looks up Salamence on her Pokédex, Ash comments that this must be the true power of the Elite Four.

-That night, Drake, Ash and his friends, and Drake’s crew all enjoy dinner. Drake tells Ash that he shouldn’t focus so much on losing, but that he should instead always seek stronger and stronger opponents. Now, with a much-needed lesson in overconfidence behind him, Ash is ready for his next adventure.

I really liked this episode. Ash barely touched Drake’s pokemon, and it’s good that Ash got a lesson in humility. I also really liked Drake’s character, and I hope he makes a reappearance in the future.

Geodude

Hmm, thanks for the clarifications Murg. At least I was on the right track. ;)

Good summary Dogasu. Pretty sure the attack Torkoal used that Scizor dodged was indeed Flamethrower (heard a pretty clear "kaien hossa" IIRC), and Scizor's attack did seem like Metal Claw.

A loss for Ash is a good thing to see, as it doesn't happen very often. But I hope Ash will perform better against the next elite four member, Glacia.

C

Crystal Latios

But don`t you think, this episode has a similar story like that one about Lorelei?

Lorelei epi:
- Ash won a fight with another trainer
- Ash thinks, he is da bomb
- Ash loses a fight with Lorelei (Elite4 girl)
- TR wanna steal a Pikachu
- Lorelei kicks TR

Drake episode:
-Ash won a fight with a Scizor trainer
-Ash thinks, he is da bomb (I don`t understand japanese, but I saw his face. So proud)
-Ash loses with Drake (E4 guy)
-TR wanna steal a Pikachu
-Drake kicks them.

:p