• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Vanity Affair! (378)

H

Hales

Yep I agree Flannery, sometimes they make Ash look bad so they can burst his bubble at the end... ah well, maybe the next battle he has with an E4 member has him remember advice from the previous E4 member so it will make him draw with the other person :)

Or maybe I'm clutching at straws... I tend to do that when I'm defending Ash with all the power I know how.

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
Murgatroyd said:
[img200]http://homepage.mac.com/murgatroyd314/scizhbeam.jpg[/img200]
That makes it even harder to tell how the attack looked. Geodude said the beams merged, but this image mades it unclear, though I take it the streams of energy flying off in different directions is post-impact, as they wouldn't make sense otherwise.

Dogasu said:
It then throws a Leaf Blade at the opponent, but Altaria dodges that attack as well.
Do I take this to mean there is a projectile form of Leaf Blade, or do I misunderstand?

Flannery said:
But don`t you think, this episode has a similar story like that one about Lorelei?

Lorelei epi:
- Ash won a fight with another trainer
- Ash thinks, he is da bomb
- Ash loses a fight with Lorelei (Elite4 girl)
- TR wanna steal a Pikachu
- Lorelei kicks TR

Drake episode:
-Ash won a fight with a Scizor trainer
-Ash thinks, he is da bomb (I don`t understand japanese, but I saw his face. So proud)
-Ash loses with Drake (E4 guy)
-TR wanna steal a Pikachu
-Drake kicks them.
True enough, the wirters seem to love reusing themes from old episodes for Hoenn, but there were some important differences.

1. Ash didn't get as foolishly overconfident as he did in the Lorelai episode (as far as I can tell).
2. Drake challenged Ash rather than the other way around, since he apparently recognized Ash's potential. Prima/Lorelai on the other hand seemed to view him as having potential but not worth bothering to battle, he just wasn't ready, until Ash wore her down with his persistence.
3. Ash's Pokemon put up a better fight this time, as little of a fight as that still was. Both Pikachu and Grovyle look to have lasted about twice as long as Pikachu did against Lorelai's Cloyster. And considering that Ash lacked a type advantage in his fight with Drake (unlike Lorelai) this really means something.

Still, Drakes' power underscores just how much stronger Master trainers are compared to even powerful gym leaders. If Glacia does appear, and Ash does battle her, the only way I can see him doing particularly well is if he brought in his most experienced heavy hitters like Heracross, Snorlax, and such. Pikachu would be a good choice too. Even then I doubt he could win or even draw with her. Glacia isn't as strong as Drake (in the games) and Ash would be able to exploit a few type advantages, but she is still likely several times stronger than Ash, especially given Ash's current team is only now reaching the experience levels of some of his strongest Pokemon.

Murgatroyd

Dull Manga Avatar
Pokemon Fan said:
That makes it even harder to tell how the attack looked. Geodude said the beams merged, but this image mades it unclear, though I take it the streams of energy flying off in different directions is post-impact, as they wouldn't make sense otherwise.
Two beams going in, hitting Iron Defense, and bouncing back out.

Do I take this to mean there is a projectile form of Leaf Blade, or do I misunderstand?
You misunderstand. Not the best possible phrasing on Dogasu's part. It was just a normal Leaf Blade attack from above.

Dogasu

Frustrated Elf
Murgatroyd said:
You misunderstand. Not the best possible phrasing on Dogasu's part. It was just a normal Leaf Blade attack from above.

My bad. I *remembered* it being like some sort of projectile attack thingee, but I only saw the episode once (unlike everyone else here, I don't have the means to go back and check the episode after its airing) so I guess I mis-remembered that.

£añkaÑ

~Thîrûttû R⚢âl~
Well, i just read dogasu small episode summary...it is cool, i like it, now i get an idea that the Trapinch and Vibrava episode is good to happen now since Drake had just appeared...this is real good...if THE ICE POKEMON ELITE TRAINER...does come in that episode...i so can't wait to see it...

Geodude

Pokemon Fan said:

Yeah, sorry about that. I'm not sure why I remembered that wrong. *is embarrassed*

G

Goin' Graveler

It wasn't just a similiar repeat of the Lorelei episode, it was also kinda a repeat of 'Path to the Pokemon League' as well. Where Ash gets 10 victories, then gets overconfident, then gets owned by A.J.'s Sandshrew.

Space Skitty

Hoenn Champion
Ash has talent, that's for sure. His only weak spot is overconfidence. Maybe he'll learn something from his lost against Drake and use it to do better in future battles.

Yellow

Banned
This episode looks awesome! I can't wait for it over here in the US. I really wish we had Oak's Pokemon Lecture's instead of Trainer's Choice.

G

Gryphon Turboclaw

Goin' Graveler said:
It wasn't just a similiar repeat of the Lorelei episode, it was also kinda a repeat of 'Path to the Pokemon League' as well. Where Ash gets 10 victories, then gets overconfident, then gets owned by A.J.'s Sandshrew.

(Sighs). Yes, this does indeed seem to be a favorite episode theme of the writers...have Ash get cocky about his training abilities(though PF's right about Ash not seeming as overconfident compared to other such eps), then have him get chopped down by the CotD. [SPOIL]IIRC, About the *only* episode of this theme that has had another member of Ash-tachi be the overconfident one was the Red Ribbon Contest ep in which May used Bulbasaur despite that pokemon's lack of experience[/SPOIL] . They almost never have had anyone else go through this...not Misty, not Brock, not Tracey, and not Max. All in all, they could have done this *without* the overconfidence on Ash's part, and the story would have been barely affected at all.

A

americangirl88

I have a question...according to how much time elasped from when Ash started his journey he should be 14/15. If thats so, how come he doesnt show it? He's only a little taller, if not as tall as May, so that means he has grown little to none height wise over a span of about 4 or 5 years, and his voice hasnt changed.

H

Hales

So while Ash is supposed to be 14/15, he really looks about 12/13 :D

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
americangirl88 said:
I have a question...according to how much time elasped from when Ash started his journey he should be 14/15. If thats so, how come he doesnt show it? He's only a little taller, if not as tall as May, so that means he has grown little to none height wise over a span of about 4 or 5 years, and his voice hasnt changed.
Given how many episodes take place only days or (in some) hours or minutes apart from the previous episode, I think its safer to say only about three+ years have passed, and that time passed a lot more quickly in the first Pokemon season than it does now.

The fact that Ash does look more mature and is at least a bit taller than May should say that at least a bit of time has passed. Brock isn't a good indicator as his father looks the same as he does, just wrinkled a bit, and Jessie and James are already done growing I think. ^_^

H

Hales

I always figured that Brock was four years older than Ash... yet I don't have a theory to back it up :)

So if we say Ash is 12 then Brock appears to be around 16/17 maybe... it never occurred to me that Brock is 20... TR maybe.

Geodude

Well Brock is obviously a few years older than Ash, since he has like 8 (is it 8?) younger brothers and sisters, and he was in charge of them for a significant amount of time. I think he was 16 when he first met Ash, since it sounds like a reasonable legal age for what he was doing. It's pretty clear, too, that Jessie and James are older than Brock, since they include him in "the twerps".

Alfonso

Derpgull
Geodude said:
Well Brock is obviously a few years older than Ash, since he has like 8 (is it 8?) younger brothers and sisters, and he was in charge of them for a significant amount of time. I think he was 16 when he first met Ash, since it sounds like a reasonable legal age for what he was doing. It's pretty clear, too, that Jessie and James are older than Brock, since they include him in "the twerps".

That, and Jessie refered to Brock as the 'bigger twerp' in that episode... on the blimp. The one that *that* Pokeshipping moment. I recall her refering to him as 'the older twerp', also, at some point. (I think it was 'A Tent Situation'.)

Speaking of which...

"Eeeeeeeeeeeeeee, he took my parasol!" :p

R

Risk Alchemist

Serebii said:
Seaman! The Elite Four Drake Enters!

After his win at the Mossdeep Gym, Ash & Co. meet up with the Elite 4 Member Drake. Soon after boarding Drake's boat, Ash is challenged to a match. Can Ash prove his worth against this Elite Trainer?

Visit The Episode Guide

Discuss

hmm.......i read that Ash didn't even beat Agatha in Season 9 thread so i don't know if he can win...even if he does have 7/8 of the Hoenn Leauge Badges!

~Deoxys Lover;386;~