• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Vanity Affair! (378)

WaterDragon trainer

Freak Like Me
*LOL* I agree with you medea. That singing coconut is past the annoying point.

Silver Ryu

~Aqua Dragon~
I totally agree, his show sucks, and his singing sucks too. And we couldn't mute it because we couldn't find the remote. -_-

Anyhow, I took notes on Post-Its during the episodes, and here they are:

~Scizor's gonna get owned...
~Yup, owned.
~Yeah TR, your pockets are empty because Meowth spent it all on last week's mecha.
~Ewwww, milk with peppermint?
~Ooh, getting cocky, are we?
~Real opponent like Drake?
~And of course Max knows who he is.
~Hehe, "elite geezer."
~Cool boat!
~Ugh, "shipshape"
~Can't wait to see his Flygon!
~I don't like Shelgon.
~Thought it was using Bide...
~Dragon claw? With what claws?
~Trainer's Choice would be Wingull.
~TC is on a roll!
~Grovyle...OK choice.
~Grovyle is so cool!
~Sky Attack is AWESOME!!!
~Awww, no Flygon?
~Hmm, maybe we'll see Salamence.
~Yup, there it is.
~Yeah, overconfidence is bad. Annoying, too.

Overall, it was an OK episode. Rather boring, and I still wish we could have seen Flygon. But we saw Salamence, so that's a plus. Drake is pretty cool, but in terms of dragon trainers I prefer Lance and Clair.

I give it a 7/10.

S.Suikun

Thank you, SPPf! :)
CyberCubed said:
Who wants to bet that 4kids made their Advanced Battle theme song based on the number of times Ash and May win their battles during this season? Even Drake said he used to think he was unbeatable, which was a throwback to the theme of the song. Looks like the theme carries a wake up call to Ash and May later in the season. The fact that Drake was also interested in what May was planning to do for her next contest was nice too.
I seriously doubt 4Kids thought that deep.

I wasn't too fond of Ash's characterization in this episode, considering how it felt like a throwback to his worst characterization ever, his previous Elite 4 battle with Prima. It was also like a character relapse. Otherwise, this was a solid episode. Battles were good, and TR didn't kill the battle.

Puffs

...NINE-THOUSAND!!!!
I didn't like Salamence's voice. They should've used the voice from Jirachi: Wishmaker. I thought Drake was pretty cool. The battles were nice. Sky Attack and Dragonbreath were awesome.

I give this episode an 8/10.

Korobooshi Kojiro

Funnnngaaaaa
I am pretty sure Salamence kept it's original voice, which was different then the movie one.

So, the reason Ash is good at battling is because he doesn't thinkl.XD

Drake's voice was cool, and the battle music was alot of Johto era ones we don't hear much.

Samayowa

you amaze me.
Team Rocket Admin said:
This wasn't a bad episode, and I liked seeing Sky Attack.

Yeah Sky Attack was rather cool to see.

Diamond and Pearl

Kamex

Team Rocket's rockin
Drake's cool. I like how he plainly travels around in his ship, like other Elite 4 members just do what they do, yet they're all known as the same band of exceptional trainers.

That brings me to a slight problem I had. I don't know if this wasn't just 4Kids fault, but they should have mentioned how Drake isn't from just any Elite 4, he's from Hoenn's bunch of them. Otherwise there'd be like 10 elite 4 so far. o_O

Anyway, this deserves a solid 8/10.

WaterDragon trainer

Freak Like Me
I agree with everyone who said thought Drake sounded cool. I have the same question as Silver Ryu. How does Shelgon(and Bagon) use Dragon Claw when it has no claws???? Also, sorry if this question is dumb, but I know that TR stands for Team Rocket, but what does TC stand for??????

V Faction

www.faction.com
WaterDragon trainer said:
I agree with everyone who said thought Drake sounded cool. I have the same question as Silver Ryu. How does Shelgon(and Bagon) use Dragon Claw when it has no claws???? Also, sorry if this question is dumb, but I know that TR stands for Team Rocket, but what does TC stand for??????
It's not so much a 'claw' as it is a powering of the fist/hand/appendage and attacking with that. That's how Shelgon is able to pull it off.

In fact, a lot of Pokemon attacks have to be thought of outside the box like that. While some could not be more plain-as-day, ala Water Gun and Flamethrower (those actually took some time for me to think about back in the day), others much be used creatively. For an easy comparison, look at Iron Tail and Metal Claw. Instead of the attack becoming actual metal, it simply glows superstrong and attacks with the properties of a Steel attack. That's how they can 1) get an official Pokemon attack looking different from a regular ol' claw or tail attack and 2) get non-Steel Pokemon to use said attacks.

Quite a number of attacks use ambiguous energy power-ups in their performance in the anime. With Bullet Seed, the Pokemon doesn't actually fire off seeds, it shoots little green bullets of energy that hurt Water/Ground/Rock Pokemon like every other Grass attack.

Mega Punch/Dynamic Punch/Focus Punch all have their own respective energy colors. Rock Blast is COMPLETELY different in the anime from its game counterpart. Leaf Blade isn't a real blade made out of leaves. And Quick Attack leaves a trail of 'speed' behind it now.

wants_latios_lots

I miss you Maddie <3
Hmm...So here I am, watching Ash getting strangely overconfident after beating a scizor with a fire pokemon (go Ash...), so you know he's gonna get pwned by the end, and then BAM! I'm hit in the face with an almost shirtless old guy. Dragon trainer, ok, but an old undershirtless sailor dragon trainer? I'm not too sure. But they did have a cool battle, and Altaria's sky attack was pretty sweet. Not a bad episode.

Sharpshooter

Battle Factory Champion
I like these sort of "learning curve" episodes, always keeps Ash's character interesting if he always has something to learn I think.

You'll notice usually how the animé portrays these episodes by letting the weaker one making the first move, since counterattacking was all what Drake was doing.

Despite with the heavy one-sidedness, I was quite pleased with the match actually, was quite exciting for the most part.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Think Drake can give Lance a run for his money in battle?

They're both Elite 4 members who use Dragon Pokemon, I wonder which one is the stronger of the two.

I'm leaning toward Drake because he's older and thus should have more experience, but Lance IS the Champion of the Elite 4 (mentioned in the original according to Dogasu), and Drake is just a normal Elite 4 member....hmmmm.

V Faction

www.faction.com
Tough call. I truly can't decide. In the anime, I suppose, it would end up in either a draw or as an unfinished duel.

Going by game terms, Lance would probably edge out for the win. Remember, he not only uses Dragon Pokemon but Dragon-like Pokemon. Drake is strictly Dragon. So that means Lance also has Charizard, Gyarados, and Aerodactyl to go up against Drake's Dragon. Meanwhile, Drake's only real variation comes from his Kingdra and Flygons. And then there's that whole Lance=Champion by GSC thing....

But as far as coolness goes, Drake easily tops Lance. Pirates always win, matey!

ImJessieTR

I WON'T kiss Ash...
I just want to shoot the TV every time I see Ash have a "lesson" that he should've learned several seasons ago. The next fic I write will blatantly espouse my belief that even a toddler like Molly could beat Ash ...

oh wait...

she did... (well, she would've had she not quit).

Cap D. Blue

ボルトチェンジ
I didn't like Salamence's voice. They should've used the voice from Jirachi: Wishmaker.
I noticed that, too. I was upset when the had a strange voice for my favorite dragon...

Still, it was a plus to see Salamence in an episode.

I kept speaking like a pirate while watching this episode, as well. ^^;

M

MayAsh1987

My opinion, I actually liked this episode, not my favorites, but it was all right. I actually liked Drake's personality a lot. He is very honest and he knows how to deal with people.

I don't know if Drake lectures were the same from the Japanese version, but it good that he gave Ash that tip. About being overconfident!!!!! (Yes, Ash was cocky in this episode we all know) A very old lesson that is a downfall for most achievers. In lots of TV shows I watched, that lesson can't never be forgotten.

And about Salamance, it voice sounded horrible. I was like, "What the hell?" Thats all I got to say.

Rating: 7.5 out of 10.

Swellow

Spider Sceptile
V Faction said:
It's not so much a 'claw' as it is a powering of the fist/hand/appendage and attacking with that. That's how Shelgon is able to pull it off
I've actually been thinking about for the longest time at least in Relation to Ash's former Pokemon Treecko's Pound attack until I read the description from the games about that it could be a tail and not nessecarily a Fist/Hand which I thought originally.