• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

vBulletin Blogs - Yay or Nay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got to say no here. This will probably affect the bandwith, and will worsen the lag. It will also pretty much double the mods' work, as blogs are for anyone to make, and it WILL bring in trouble. Also.

THIS IS NOT LJ.

Menx

I think this would be a great idea for the site. I'm not sure wether or not I would use it or not but it would be good for people who like to post blogs alot because thay wouldn't have to use other sites. Thay could do it all here.

Last edited:

??????

That guy.
No. If I wanted to go to Myspace I would've joined there.

Not to mention lag and such.

Ventus3

Waiting for summer
I wouldn't really like blogs here. We honestly already have enough, visitor mesages is the most I want here. This site loads slow for me already, I don't want it to end up loading slower in the process either so it's a nay for me. xP

~Ventus3

FreedomX10A

Infinite Atmosphere
No.
In my opinion, a blog is not needed in this forum.
There are already enough blogs out there like xanga, live journal, facebook, myspace, etc. I don't think we need one more.
Lag will be a huge problem and money will be wasted.
I'm having troubles dealing with the lag i have already. So i don't really want more lag.
Money will be a waste if nobody uses it. I say if 90% of SPPf wants this blog, then do so. But if more then 10% say no, don't.

Volteon

Back I guess??
I say no as well. We don't need it like many said.

Even though the idea is better than Social Groups IMO.

ellie

Δ
Staff member
Admin
Meh. I've never bothered to read someone's blog in my entire life, and I don't want this to become a mini myspace/facebook/whatever else. I'd say no.

*~Puru-Ryuu~*

|x|Rebirth|x|
Nay!

First of all this is tuning into a facebook thing and kinda losing it's pokemon values. [I couldn't think of another word]

Nobody read anyone's blog after the first time. I should know. :p

There will be wayyyy too many lags and

Mods will have to double their work [as if they already don't have enough]

SO nay from me

I'm for the forum adding the blogs though for staff only. The server could not handle everyone having their own blog and the complaints about the forums going slow would increase tenfold.

duncan

Personally I'm in favor of the upgrade. Provided the extra cost isn't that big of deal, I think it would be nice with the rest of the upgrades from 3.7. I doubt it would be that big of deal with the lag, as people who didn't want a blog doesn't have to have one. And besides, I think all the new features would have impacted the lag far more than a few blogs would. A yes from me.

mewmew202

I think it would be a good idea but if it would cause too much trouble with lag and for the mods to keep an eye on then no. I would like it but I understand if it may not be possible.

Kthleen

Wayfaring stranger
community feel? lol.
personally, i think adding the blogs would just make the forums more like myspace, which its already starting to look like IMO. If i wanted Myspace style i woulda joined them, so i say no to blogs
No, thank you, this is a forum, not blogger or facebook/myspace. Enabling Visitor Messaging is bad enough already.
[...]I don't think its really necessary. There are tons of blogging sites already, and I don't think adding to them is the best idea.
You'll be wasting your money Joe. So no.
Got to say no here. This will probably affect the bandwith, and will worsen the lag. It will also pretty much double the mods' work, as blogs are for anyone to make, and it WILL bring in trouble. Also.

THIS IS NOT LJ.
I wouldn't really like blogs here. We honestly already have enough, visitor mesages is the most I want here. This site loads slow for me already, I don't want it to end up loading slower in the process either so it's a nay for me. xP
Honestly, there's not much for me to say since these people have already said it all for me....

But I have to add pointless length to keep EeveeSkitty and friends happy.
th_GaiaX3.gif

To tell the truth, I am not looking forward to the implementation of a weblog system (or whatever word I'm looking for) here. They implemented one over at Bulbagarden and--this is a personal thing, though others have pointed it out as a possibility in general terms--though I occasionally look at the entries, but I've found nothing so far of interest. (Then again, it's only been around since this past Saturday....) Also, as I've (sort of) noted in a previous thread, I'm not really caring much for the various changes anyway. I just don't feel the need for another one.

Not to mention that if I wanted a MySpace page, LiveJournal, blog, or something where I could speak more freely (as in "probably in a PG-13+ manner"), I would have gotten one of those. I'm not interested in forcing myself not to write about my real interests, instead aiming for crud like "lol I saw two cicadas... 'doing it', " "rotten fruit from Wal-Mart makes me angry," and "I've tried Elona Reach for the 100th time and failed... again" in order to try to keep it "family-friendly." I know I don't have to get a blog, but I'm sure others do feel like I do concerning this. That's along with the other reasons. It would probably just be pointless work for your poor mods. And I just want my forums to be just forums.

Now for its effects on the site. (Not quite) ironically, for all I use them, I know crap about computers. I don't know what bandwidth is (I know exceeding a bandwidth allowance is bad, though), let alone how much implementing a blog system will take up or how much lag it's likely to create, nor do I know what the cost of doing this would be. I'll let others speak more in-depth for me in that regard... outside of my saying that I don't want any more lag.

Last edited:

Brettt

satirist
Nay. I won't use it (which, we all know, is all that matters) and they won't be read. Don't waste your money Joe.

Putty

hatin'
I'm for the forum adding the blogs though for staff only. The server could not handle everyone having their own blog and the complaints about the forums going slow would increase tenfold.
because the life of a couple of guys deleting and locking threads all day is SO INTERESTING.

anyway, this thread could use a poll more than every thread in the 'polls forum' - why is there none?

woot21

super noob
I'm going put it simply, then expand on it. NO!

Blogs are unneeded here, personally I feel almost all blogs are unneeded. Who wants to read about someone whine about why soccer/football isn't a good sport, or why so and so is so upset at this person, or why I hate broccoli? No one wants to read that. And as other have said, how will this affect bandwidth and load times and the such? Just say no to blogs.

woot21 out dawgs

Ampharos_Spark

Gen 6 = <3
No, just no. If I want to keep a blog/journal then I have LiveJournal and DeviantArt for that and I barely post in those. So I probably wouldn't use it here. In my opinion blogs are just not needed here.

RaZoR LeAf

Night Terror
There are more useful vb features (or hacks, whatever you want to call them) that are free that would be more useful here, than adding something people can get elsewhere for free anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.